Chiang Rai : Search continues for 13 missing youth

webfact

On 6/25/2018 at 8:47 AM, Cereal said:

Scuba gear...unsafe water level...I don't get it and I've been a diver for a long time.

Well get your arse into gear and go rescue them instead of nit picking about a translated report. 

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Thailand is not completely a free press. It is not surprising at all that there is limited or no progress coverage...

It's all about protecting face and should there be a bad outcome or even worse not be able to provide any substantial info, it sheds negative light on the culture and its image....

What a load of nonsense. 

20 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I think it's pretty darned obvious that it's an extremely difficult situation which is a big reason why people are so concerned at this point.

I don't think you need any specialized knowledge to realize how hard this is but you do need special knowledge to be of use in that cave.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Wouldn't be a problem for all the bar stool experts to undertake such an easy rescue mission. 

As the search and rescue operations at the caves in Chiang Rai’s Mae Sai district entered the fifth day on Wednesday, the Royal Thai Air Force today flew in five  giant electric water pumps aboard another C130 Hercules transport plane to Chiang Rai to support as rescuers reporting the existing water pumps at the scene could not handle floodwater which continue to flow into the caves, disrupting the Navy Seal rescuers to reach the target place where they believed the football team might take shelter.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/efforts-find-trapped-young-football-team-starts-dawn-today/

Mrs C tells me that the news this evening spoke of a Japanese man who was trapped in these caves a couple of years ago, but was found alive weeks later. Not sure whether he was found in the caves or (as Mrs C thinks) wandering, lost in the jungle, having found a way out.

I don't have any more information than that, except I found an article in the Chiang Rai Times from August 2016 about a missing Asian tourist in Mae Sai caves Khun Nam Nang Non ... https://www.chiangraitimes.com/Chiangrai,ChiangRai,News,PressRelease/search-continues-for-missing-asian-tourist-in-mae-sai-caves

I can't find any reports about him being found though. Maybe someone else can remember.

On 6/25/2018 at 9:53 AM, sammieuk1 said:

If they get out alive the coach has some serious questions to answer. Good luck they find them ok

Yes. Some of these caves are death traps. I went in one (not realising just how bad it was) a couple of years ago in Trang: the little boat, steered by a Thai helmsman, got stuck in a very, very narrow underground water channel, and I really feared for my life. I envisaged that we would be wedged between this tiny rocky underground defile (on a current of water) forever. It was terrifying.

This sort of madness must be stopped. And you know what the reaction of the Thais was when the Thai oarsman finally prized the boat free and got us out into the daylight again? 'It's better than Disney World, isn't it?'

IDIOTS! Such 'tourist attractions' - which have zero safety provisions or forward-thinking plans in place - should be shut down IMMEDIATELY.

16 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Point taken, and most likely nobody from the authorities will face the music. The reference to the coach from my side is, that he should have taken a guide along. Twelve boys are difficult to manage in a cave, some might react claustrophobic, others just scared as it is. Quite obviously the cave was/is unknown to the group lead by the coach hence I, for one, would have never taken the risk and responsibility. 

Caves are generally slippery, some have urinal smells from bats, are dark for obvious reasons and the group must have gotten either lost or did a very adventurous long walk into the cave. 

Irrespective of all this I just pray for the kids (and the coach) to get out alive which might be still possible if oxygen and drinkable water is there. Flash light batteries must be dead by now so it must be pure horror for all. I salute all those trying their very best to get the group back to daylight. 

I believe the group had visited and entered the cave on previous occasions ?

Archived