Thailand ranked 4th lowest in unemployment

webfact

Thailand ranked 4th lowest in unemployment

ThailandFactory.jpg

FILE photo

BANGKOK, 25th June 2018 (NNT) – Online websites have ranked Thailand one of the countries with the least unemployment, the Labour Ministry reports. 

The Department of Employment's (DOE) Director-General, Anurak Tossara, said today the authorities are seeking a solution to the problem of unemployment among newly graduated students. 

He said a recent survey by Trading Economics.com and Index mundi.com on global employment status, listed Thailand 4th among countries with the least unemployment. The survey considered the employment situation in 215 countries. As of March 2018, 1.2 percent of Thailand's total 66.2 million population are currently unemployed. 

He further noted that according to the report of the National Statistical Office, a total of 170,900 newly graduated students are reportedly unemployed. Minister of Labour Pol Gen Adul Saengsingkaew has called a meeting of government agencies and the private sector to find a solution to this problem. 

The Ministry of Labour will be providing job finding assistance through services at the Smart Job Center, local employment offices, mobile units, and online services on www.doe.go.th/smartjob and the Smart job Center smartphone app. 

The DOE chief added that the unemployment rate is affected by factors such as higher education being pursued in fields that are not currently in demand in the labour market, or personal decisions to prolong job hunting, while some graduates want to start their own business or take over the business of their family. 

The DOE will also be reaching out to companies seeking employees with a bachelor's degree and creating a list of vacancies to assist unemployed graduates. It will also be providing guidance sessions for students prior to entering university, providing them with an accurate outlook on the current labour market.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-06-25

4 minutes ago, webfact said:

As of March 2018, 1.2 percent of Thailand's total 66.2 million population are currently unemployed. 

makes no sense; i am not employed, by immigration law i cannot be; are all old people and children employed ?

16 minutes ago, webfact said:

Online websites

Are there any other kind?

16 minutes ago, webfact said:

As of March 2018, 1.2 percent of Thailand's total 66.2 million population are currently unemployed. 

Swinging in hammocks at motorcycle ranks on street corners, and watching rice grow were among the highest ranked occupations?

17 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

makes no sense; i am not employed, by immigration law i cannot be; are all old people and children employed ?

They calculating the percentage from the people who could be employed.

So foreigner without work-permit not counting, old people after some age not have to work, children I hope they not counting as children should not work either !!!

More or less I guess it's a similar counting as in Europe and don't tell me they are cheating more with the numbers, because every country (even in Europe) they do that.

No way the authorities knows how many people are really out of work, as no unemployment benefits are paid, there are no incentive to people to go and register as unemployed, all the government can is estimate, and with a country that inherently the majority of the people doesn't pay taxes, their guess are good as any... 

1 minute ago, ezzra said:

No way the authorities knows how many people are really out of work, as no unemployment benefits are paid, there are no incentive to people to go and register as unemployed, all the government can is estimate, and with a country that inherently the majority of the people doesn't pay taxes, their guess are good as any... 

AND the 'government' and their stats simply LIE!

Anyone who has ever seen two or three Thais doing one man's job should know why the official unemployment rate is very low here.

Whenever anyone comes to my condo to do anything there are always more people than it would take to do the same thing in the West. Usually one to do the job, one to pass things to the one doing the job, and one to tidy up for the other two. For important jobs you may also get the owner or manager turning up, and he would do nothing apart from give orders to the others.

10 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Anyone who has ever seen two or three Thais doing one man's job should know why the official unemployment rate is very low here.

Whenever anyone comes to my condo to do anything there are always more people than it would take to do the same thing in the West. Usually one to do the job, one to pass things to the one doing the job, and one to tidy up for the other two. For important jobs you may also get the owner or manager turning up, and he would do nothing apart from give orders to the others.

Totally true. And look at all those superfluous, worse-than-useless masses of 'sales assistants' in Home Pro and other supermarkets: more staff than customers! 

Despite all of this, the 'government' will still lie through their teeth about anything and everything concerning Thailand. The genuine figures of genuine unemployment cannot be what the government claims: as other posters have said, we see numerous unemployed Thais all over the place.

Where do they get these figures from?

1.2 million unemployed, nonsense.

Within 100 meters of our home there are 6 unemployed men,  if that is the same in every village in Thailand the figures would be considerably larger than the government admits.

Just now, colinneil said:

Within 100 meters of our home there are 6 unemployed men,  if that is the same in every village in Thailand the figures would be considerably larger than the government admits.

Exactly, Colin!

The workforce comprises only about 29.2 million people, the total population is almost 67 million, expressing unemployment levels as a percentage of the total population is disingenuous at best.

2 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Only six,Colin?

Your village must be a hive of activity,and they must be going flat out at about a million miles an hour.

The chief occupation for males in my village was watching the females work-the harder the better.

7 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Only six,Colin?

Your village must be a hive of activity,and they must be going flat out at about a million miles an hour.

The chief occupation for males in my village was watching the females work-the harder the better.

Yes mate only 6, but as there are only 7 houses in that 100 meters, 6 is a lot of unemployed men.

Another fact all the women in the 7 houses work.

2 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Yes mate only 6, but as there are only 7 houses in that 100 meters, 6 is a lot of unemployed men.

Another fact all the women in the 7 houses work.

Yeah,that would be about right..

So you and I would both agree that life is pure hell for the average Isaan male,then??

The Thai government uses the same sampling method that other countries use to determine unemployment levels, a part of that process requires a person to have been unemployed for 30 days or more in order to be counted. At any point in time, there is about 5% of the population that is in transition, they've left their old job, have been unemployed for less than 30 days and are waiting/looking for a new job. For those reasons unemployment levels of about 5% are seen in most countries as being zero unemployment, Thailand, however, does things slightly differently when it comes to counting!

Laughable!  Wouldn't it be nice if we could see the definitions of work, employed and who escapes these categories?  I read somewhere that if a person leaves a job and goes back to their village and does a few (can't remember how many, 5? ) hours of work a week they are considered employed. Unlike Colin's village most people in my village do work, man wife and children because the pay is so low they need 3 jobs to stay alive. 

Almost full employment but how many of them work?  There's a team of security guards whose job it is to prevent shoplifting at Macro by staring at my trolley, memorising every item then stamping my till receipt.  There's another team of thirty hiding from customers in Thaiwatsadu; another team of twenty with the opposite disease who follow me round Boontavorn on the off-chance I might show interest in a product.

6 minutes ago, yankee99 said:

I am sure employers stop paying SS when an employee leaves

In all fairness - a lot of people are employed on a part-time or casual basis, it's almost the equivalent of being self-employed - my partner has been employed that way for several years hence she is responsible for paying her own SSc which she does regardless of whether she's employed or not.

How do they know who is employed and who is not,factory workers pay in to the social security system they can be checked ,Mr Somchie the rice farmer who probably works for 3 months a year in his rice field, for the rest of the year  does this and that to earn a few baht is he employed or unemployed, plus all the other thousands  of Somchie's. Our local Poyai - Baan,village head , comes around and does a census every 6 months asking who lives in the house how much land we have what we grow, even how many cats and dogs we have, but never askes who is employed or unemployed.

And of course, those 4 lads sitting down at 8.30 am with a bottle of Loa Khow, at the shop at the end of the soi are just in between jobs . for a few days.

These figures have been the same for the past 7-8 years, 1.2% unemployed, move the decimal point a bit and that might be nearer the real figure.

Thai's love crunching numbers they know how many farangs they are in the country, and where they come from, but they own people they do not know, or the number crunchers do know but are not saying the real figures  BS. 

38 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:
2 hours ago, webfact said:

a total of 170,900 newly graduated students are reportedly unemployed.

That is 50% unemployment in a group that can be measured.  

& yet they keep churning them out to become what, for 30,000 a mth

20 minutes ago, kickstart said:

How do they know who is employed and who is not,factory workers pay in to the social security system they can be checked ,Mr Somchie the rice farmer who probably works for 3 months a year in his rice field, for the rest of the year  does this and that to earn a few baht is he employed or unemployed, plus all the other thousands  of Somchie's. Our local Poyai - Baan,village head , comes around and does a census every 6 months asking who lives in the house how much land we have what we grow, even how many cats and dogs we have, but never askes who is employed or unemployed.

And of course, those 4 lads sitting down at 8.30 am with a bottle of Loa Khow, at the shop at the end of the soi are just in between jobs . for a few days.

These figures have been the same for the past 7-8 years, 1.2% unemployed, move the decimal point a bit and that might be nearer the real figure.

Thai's love crunching numbers they know how many farangs they are in the country, and where they come from, but they own people they do not know, or the number crunchers do know but are not saying the real figures  BS. 

Read up on sampling, that's how they count people, even in the US! https://www.stlouisfed.org/on-the-economy/2017/september/precise-local-unemployment-rates

1 hour ago, Eligius said:

Totally true. And look at all those superfluous, worse-than-useless masses of 'sales assistants' in Home Pro and other supermarkets: more staff than customers! 

How true, but at least their getting paid

I don't know how they justify the wages for paying so many in a business sense

Then you go & look at the west where you can't find any & unemployment is getting worse by the day

38 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

How true, but at least their getting paid

I don't know how they justify the wages for paying so many in a business sense

Then you go & look at the west where you can't find any & unemployment is getting worse by the day

You are right. Those staff must be paid peanuts. And you know the old saying: 'Pay peanuts and get .... !'

Archived