Justice Fund spends about 14mn baht monthly on bails for poor people

webfact

Justice Fund spends about 14mn baht monthly on bails for poor people

hadcuffs.jpg

FILE photo

BANGKOK, 25th June 2018 (NNT) – The Deputy Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Justice disclosed that Justice Fund spends an average amount of 14 million baht monthly on bail. 

The Justice Ministry Deputy Permanent Secretary, Thawatchai Thaikheo, said the Justice Fund has provided financial assistance to more than 3,300 alleged offenders during the past six months. 

He went on to say that 88.73 percent of the amount was spent on helping bail out alleged offenders who could not afford to pay for the required bailing cost. 

He has expressed his confidence that the budget of the Justice Fund will be enough to help people as once each case has ended, the spent money will be reimbursed.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-06-25

3 minutes ago, webfact said:

He has expressed his confidence that the budget of the Justice Fund will be enough to help people as once each case has ended, the spent money will be reimbursed.

stupid man; they couldn't pay in the first instance, what assurance is there that they can pay later ?

11 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

stupid man; they couldn't pay in the first instance, what assurance is there that they can pay later ?

Criminals who are poor should not have the get out of jail card paid up by the government, now the wannabe perpetrator will not have the fear and deterrent of staying in jail now that the government bail people out...

4 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Criminals who are poor should not have the get out of jail card paid up by the government, now the wannabe perpetrator will not have the fear and deterrent of staying in jail now that the government bail people out...

Er...What??????

These are people who are charged, but not convicted, of a crime. Do the words "innocent until proven guilty" ring a bell?

Why should the rich be allowed to remain outside of jail until their case is heard and the poor required to stay inside jail for theirs? 

It does not make sense, it is not fair, and it penalizes the poor for being poor.

Assisting people to stay out of jail is a good thing, especially when they haven't been convicted of anything.

I don't have many compliments for the Thai government, but this is a case where they are doing the right thing.

Presumably this bail money fund is "government money"?

Therefore the bail is paid from one government department ( bail fund) to another (, the courts). So if the bail is forfeit, the government gets to (keep) its own money. If the bond is released when the accused stands trial the same applies.

Mind you I entirely agree with SB above when it comes to keeping poor people out of the remand system.

This is a nonsense! In UK, for less serious offences, alleged offenders are granted "unconditional bail" and are set free to attend their next court date. More serious alleged offenders are granted "conditional bail" which means they are set free but with various conditions. These might include a curfew, a condition of residence, surrendering of passport, not to contact witnesses or enter certain areas etc. Sometimes, a surety in a certain amount of money is required. This means that if someone stands surety for an alleged offender say in the sum of 15000 GBP, the surety has to prove that they have that amount of money and only surrender it to the Court if the alleged offender fails to turn up. No money is lodged with the Court. In the most serious offences, the alleged offender is remanded in custody. If someone fails to turn up for their court appearance, on any type of bail, a warrant is issued for their arrest. So why does the government have to lodge money with the court and then reclaim it? If an an alleged offender bailed using government funds, fails to attend court, does the government lose its money? Unnecessary, expensive, nonsense!

Sent from my X98 Plus II (C2D6) using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

In reality the Justice Ministry,are only paying money to themselves, 

as they control the courts ,which collect the bail money,and with

everything else involving money,I am sure everything will be above 

board........

regards worgeordie

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Justice Fund

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The Ministry of Justice disclosed that Justice Fund spends an average amount of 14 million baht monthly on bail. 

As soon as the words "poor people" is mentioned I am reminded of those of those destitute people who had their money stolen from them. 

This sounds just like any other government slush fun to "help" the poor; ready for the plucking by super cunning civil servants and other opportunists like the RTP.

Since nobody has mentioned it,so far,I guess that I might misunderstand the bail system: I thought that the court kept the bail only if the accused person didn`t show up in court.If so,how could the fund SPEND so much money? That would mean.that many/most of the bailouted people failed to show up!!! Hard to believe.Correct me if I am wrong,please!

Archived