My experiences with Thai Police

Grumpy Old Man

On 6/29/2018 at 6:04 PM, NancyL said:

I've been in situations in Chiang Mai where I'm helping to get a foreigner into hospital, usually Suan Prung psychiatric hospital, when they don't want to go, but clearly need to and the local police have been called in.  I've been very impressed with how gentle and caring the police are in these situations when they literally have to handcuff and carry a large foreigner, who often is resisting.  In the U.S. their first instinct would be to use a taser, instead of gently talking and being calm with someone who is out-of-control.  

Also, I've seen police  help to get ill foreigners (perhaps who have collapsed on the street or been in an accident) into Suan Dok and then go to the person's guesthouse to make sure their belongings are secured and return later to the hospital to see how the person is doing, out of genuine concern, not because they expect a gift.

I've been in 2 accidents (neither my fault). The police were incredibly kind and caring. They came to see us in the hospital the following day and handed me my wallet which apparently ended up on the road. They visited us at our home twice during our recovery. In another accident where I was rear-ended, one of the policemen could not have been more kind and caring and tried to get me to go to the hospital in case I had a concussion, but I didn't feel I needed to go. 

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could it be, that in Thailand "white lives matter"?  I think the police really do go out of their way to create a welcoming atmosphere for visitors and foreign residents who are behaving themselves.  

I know it's an often-repeated barstool warning that if you're in an accident, or even stop to help at an accident, the blame will be placed on the white person, but I just don't see that happening, unless the foreigner really had some degree of fault. 

Also, the barstool myth about how if you die at home the police will clean out your home/condo/room is definitely not true.  I have first-hand details of the death of many foreigners and the police are the ones who protect the possessions of the deceased from the neighbors, guesthouse owner, condo manager, etc.

My experiences are a little different to those of the OP although I do agree that being polite and courteous helps a lot.

I've been stopped several times over the last 16 years (I don't include check points as stops) and almost always for some made up offence - for which I will state, I have not accepted and refused to pay - with one (partial) exception.

I have to say though that the amount of stops has gone down a lot over recent years.  Also, with regard to checkpoints, they appear to focus more attention on pick ups and I don't get stopped there as often since I started renting cars/suv's.

On to the fake stops (well the most notable ?)

1. Many years ago on joining the expressway from Rama 4 heading west. I don't know if this entry point is still the same but as you went under the flyover to join you were faced with 3 lanes. A sign on the wall stated which lane you should be in to go to a distinct destination.  As I approached, there he was, brown shirt, helmet and hand up telling me to stop.  I spoke almost no Thai then so I asked my Thai passenger what the problem was - "he says you're in the wrong lane and you have to pay 200baht" she said.  Hmmmm, just one problem with that, he hadn't asked us where we were going ?.  His 'innocent' mistake was pointed out and we were waved on our way.

2. On the same visit, driving with the same passenger I noticed a Thai policeman taking an interest in my vehicle and writing something down when we stopped at a toll.  I told my friend that I fully expected we would be stopped at the next toll - I'd come across this before, it seemed at the time that it happened mainly to Farangs driving anything and Chinese Thai's in Mercs.  Sure enough, we were pulled over at the next toll.  "What's the problem?" I asked, "He says you were driving too fast" my friend advised me.  "Tell him I want to see some proof of that, where's the camera?" I said.  This was a little too much for my friend, she couldn't possibly say that to a policeman who's word was gospel.  Luckily this guy could speak some English and he came around to the driver's side.  Again I asked him for evidence of my heinous crime.  How dare this disrespectful farang have the nerve to question his judgement?  "OK sir, we go to see big boss" he said.  I asked my friend to get out of the car, locked it up and said "OK, let's go".  A look, somewhere between baffled, shocked and disappointed came across his face - he wasn't going to get his 200 baht from this guy.

"OK go on sir but cha cha na".......................???.

3.  Fast forward to about 8 years ago, I'm driving on the lower section of Rama 3 near Sathupradit about to make a U turn under the elevated section, up to Central.  This is something like a 3 lane highway but at that time (could still be the same) as you approached the U turn, the right hand lane became the U turn only lane. You could not go straight on as you now had a concrete wall in front of you. As soon as I start to make the U another helmeted figure held his hand up to stop me.  I spoke a litte more Thai now so I asked him what the problem was. Apparently I didn't have my indicator on.  Thinking I'd got him I said "why do I need to indicate, I'm already in the lane and there is nowhere else I can go?  He looked very puzzled - was this farang questioning him , did they know the law better? How was he going to deal with this potentially face losing situation? 

By this time, my mother in law who was in the back seat and who clearly didn't believe that police officers are gods, had started berating the poor guy - "you no good, only look for money, make Thailand look bad". What was he going to do? He's losing this one, no 200 baht, no fish supper tonight!!

Suddenly, his face lights up, he's looking across at my wife who had been very quiet in the passenger seat "she has no seat belt" he says!! Bang, 200 baht, fish supper!!!

These situations don't seem to happen nowadays, I used to find them amusing for a while but soon tired of it. I always do a lot of driving during my time in Thailand so there were plenty more stops - mostly spurious speeding accusations. The only time I've ever paid was when my stupid wife didn't have her belt on.

On 6/25/2018 at 4:56 PM, Kieran00001 said:

Your 18 years with only 2 stops only demonstrates that you have barely been anywhere in 18 years, travel through half the provinces of Thailand and you, like every single car, will get stopped.

I have lived here for almost eleven years. In that time, I have put over 100k km on two motorcycles and a little less than 80k km on one car. I have traveled as far South as Sungai Kolok, as far North as Chiang Rai, and as far Southeast as Trat; a fair coverage of Thailand.

I have encountered 50-60 checkpoints; was asked for ID at four or five of them and just waived through all the rest. 

2 minutes ago, smotherb said:

I have lived here for almost eleven years. In that time, I have put over 100k km on two motorcycles and a little less than 80k km on one car. I have traveled as far South as Sungai Kolok, as far North as Chiang Rai, and as far Southeast as Trat; a fair coverage of Thailand.

I have encountered 50-60 checkpoints; was asked for ID at four or five of them and just waived through all the rest. 

There are currently more than 50-60 checkpoints just between Hat Yai and Narathiwat, one journey south and you would pass more than you have in 11 years and 100K Kms, seems unlikely.

2 minutes ago, smotherb said:

There are currently more than 50-60 checkpoints just between Hat Yai and Narathiwat, one journey south and you would pass more than you have in 11 years and 100K Kms, seems unlikely.

29 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Gee, that is funny. I was last in Narathiwat about three months ago; I believe there were three checkpoints between there and Hatyai.

33 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Is this a stutter?

Just now, smotherb said:

Gee, that is funny. I was last in Narathiwat about three months ago; I believe there were three checkpoints between there and Hatyai.

There are at least 10 checkpoints that are permanently set up 12 foot high razor wire double s bends that you have to snake through whether they are there to check you or not, so no way anyone actually driving that route could miss them, you talk poo, way more than 3, at least 30.

Out of interest, how many armoured vehicles would you say you passed between Hat Yai and Narathiwat?

Just now, smotherb said:

There are at least 10 checkpoints that are permanently set up 12 foot high razor wire double s bends that you have to snake through whether they are there to check you or not, so no way anyone actually driving that route could miss them, you talk poo, way more than 3, at least 30.

Out of interest, how many armoured vehicles would you say you passed between Hat Yai and Narathiwat?

1 minute ago, Kieran00001 said:

Look friend, I live in Hatyai, and although I do not frequent the three southern provinces, I have been down there; and again, as I said, the last time was about March. I do not remember anywhere near that many checkpoints.  And, I see armored vehicles in Hatyai.

41 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Look friend, I live in Hatyai, and although I do not frequent the three southern provinces, I have been down there; and again, as I said, the last time was about March. I do not remember anywhere near that many checkpoints.  And, I see armored vehicles in Hatyai.

I asked you how many you think you passed on your last trip, I think you answering that question will give us both a better impression of where you are coming from.

3 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

I asked you how many you think you passed on your last trip, I think you answering that question will give us both a better impression of where you are coming from.

I already answered that bunky, see my post 97. I already know where you are coming from.

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 11:56 AM, Kieran00001 said:

Your 18 years with only 2 stops only demonstrates that you have barely been anywhere in 18 years, travel through half the provinces of Thailand and you, like every single car, will get stopped.

Its just in the recent years the randomly police check in bars started.....:whistling:

11 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Perhaps this would be a riveting debate on a southern forum.

13 hours ago, smotherb said:

I already answered that bunky, see my post 97. I already know where you are coming from.

No, I am asking you how many armored cars you passed, in post 97 you said you passed three checkpoints, now tell us how many armored cars just so we can be certain you are making things up, thanks.

Just now, Kieran00001 said:

No, I am asking you how many armored cars you passed, in post 97 you said you passed three checkpoints, now tell us how many armored cars just so we can be certain you are making things up, thanks.

I think we have already established who is making things up, your post #95, "There are currently more than 50-60 checkpoints just between Hat Yai and Narathiwat "

How many armored cars? As I said, I see armored cars in  Hatyai, I don't count them.

13 minutes ago, smotherb said:

I think we have already established who is making things up, your post #95, "There are currently more than 50-60 checkpoints just between Hat Yai and Narathiwat "

How many armored cars? As I said, I see armored cars in  Hatyai, I don't count them.

Roughly how many would you say you passed on your three checkpoint trip from Hat Yai to Narathiwat?

12 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Roughly how many would you say you passed on your three checkpoint trip from Hat Yai to Narathiwat?

Do I need to speak slowly for you? I do not count armored cars. Did you note how many officers wore shoe-lifts?

1 minute ago, smotherb said:

Do I need to speak slowly for you? I do not count armored cars. Did you note how many officers wore shoe-lifts?

Its only an estimate, you don't have to have counted to estimate something, and armored cars are slightly easier to notice than parts of someones shoes, poor analogy to say the least.  Last chance or you get written off forever as a silly little liar.

8 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Its only an estimate, you don't have to have counted to estimate something, and armored cars are slightly easier to notice than parts of someones shoes, poor analogy to say the least.  Last chance or you get written off forever as a silly little liar.

Me? You are the one stating 50-60 checkpoints between Hatyai and Narathiwat. I know who I am writing-off.

3 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Me? You are the one stating 50-60 checkpoints between Hatyai and Narathiwat. I know who I am writing-off.

I note your unwillingness to make an estimate and I take that as a realization on your part that if you were to guess wildly wrong you would be revealed to all who know the road as being a silly little liar, and so you chose to avoid the question, attempt to turn it back onto me, anything but confirm your lying, sad as.

On 6/25/2018 at 4:56 PM, bontang said:

Thai Police are Ok as long you have all you credentials in order, ,Driving License, Car/Truck Rego, & be polite,                      If you respect them they will always respect you,  

Actually they are a lot more friendly than the French or Swiss police, who tend to be extremely haughty. Can't tell about Australian police; 0 interactions in 7 years.

On 7/2/2018 at 11:11 AM, Kieran00001 said:

I note your unwillingness to make an estimate and I take that as a realization on your part that if you were to guess wildly wrong you would be revealed to all who know the road as being a silly little liar, and so you chose to avoid the question, attempt to turn it back onto me, anything but confirm your lying, sad as.

I can tell how long I have been here by looking at my passports. I know how far I have ridden and driven by looking at the odometers of my motorcycles and car. I know the major extents to which I have traveled in this country because I try to remember such things. I neither know the number of check-points I have passed nor the number of armored cars I have seen, because I do not count them. My point was; in all that time and distance for however many checkpoints I have passed, I have only been asked for ID a handful of times.  

Now you call me a liar, because you disagree with what: my length of time in Thailand, my extended coverage of Thailand on motorcycles or in cars, or the numbers of checkpoints I have passed? Or all of them? 

Quite frankly, I think you are an anal orifice. I don’t really care what you have to say.  And, if you want to call someone a liar, listen to yourself saying there were 50-60 checkpoints just between Hatyai and Naratiwat. That, my friend is the lie.

43 minutes ago, smotherb said:

I can tell how long I have been here by looking at my passports. I know how far I have ridden and driven by looking at the odometers of my motorcycles and car. I know the major extents to which I have traveled in this country because I try to remember such things. I neither know the number of check-points I have passed nor the number of armored cars I have seen, because I do not count them. My point was; in all that time and distance for however many checkpoints I have passed, I have only been asked for ID a handful of times.  

Now you call me a liar, because you disagree with what: my length of time in Thailand, my extended coverage of Thailand on motorcycles or in cars, or the numbers of checkpoints I have passed? Or all of them? 

Quite frankly, I think you are an anal orifice. I don’t really care what you have to say.  And, if you want to call someone a liar, listen to yourself saying there were 50-60 checkpoints just between Hatyai and Naratiwat. That, my friend is the lie.

I call you a liar because you continually refuse to make an estimate of something you saw on your imaginary journey while you were happy to make up that you passed three checkpoints, that is why. 

Everyone who uses that road knows you made it up, there are a damn site more than three checkpoints and its been that way for many years, there are about ten where every single car has to come to a stop, put their window down and have the driver and licence plate photographed, there is no way anyone who actually drove the road could miss that or the guy with a gun that tells you when you can move on.

There are about 50-60 checkpoints on that road, not all of them are manned 24/7, but there are about that many.

How many armored cars do you recon there are on that stretch, or have you not driven it and fear that if you guess you will be revealed as the liar everyone suspects you to be?

Archived