My experiences with Thai Police

Grumpy Old Man

1 hour ago, Kieran00001 said:

I call you a liar because you continually refuse to make an estimate of something you saw on your imaginary journey while you were happy to make up that you passed three checkpoints, that is why. 

Everyone who uses that road knows you made it up, there are a damn site more than three checkpoints and its been that way for many years, there are about ten where every single car has to come to a stop, put their window down and have the driver and licence plate photographed, there is no way anyone who actually drove the road could miss that or the guy with a gun that tells you when you can move on.

There are about 50-60 checkpoints on that road, not all of them are manned 24/7, but there are about that many.

How many armored cars do you recon there are on that stretch, or have you not driven it and fear that if you guess you will be revealed as the liar everyone suspects you to be?

Well, although I resent your calling me a liar; I have to consider the source. You will not even comment on your most obvious lie; that 50-60 checkpoints are between Hatyai and Narathiwat. You say, "that road," is that road in Narathiwat?

I fail to estimate the numbers of armored cars I have seen because I don't know; I did not count them. I have been in and around military vehicles for most of my life; so seeing an armored vehicle or someone carrying a gun, or even a checkpoint is nothing new. Hence, I may even underestimate the numbers I've seen.

To my recollection, I have never been stopped at a checkpoint in Narathiwat. However, as I said, I do not frequent the three Southern Provinces and my trip to Sungai Kolok was maybe nine years ago.

So, I must say, stick it. You make-up your own lies.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Well, although I resent your calling me a liar; I have to consider the source. You will not even comment on your most obvious lie; that 50-60 checkpoints are between Hatyai and Narathiwat. You say, "that road," is that road in Narathiwat?

I fail to estimate the numbers of armored cars I have seen because I don't know; I did not count them. I have been in and around military vehicles for most of my life; so seeing an armored vehicle or someone carrying a gun, or even a checkpoint is nothing new. Hence, I may even underestimate the numbers I've seen.

To my recollection, I have never been stopped at a checkpoint in Narathiwat. However, as I said, I do not frequent the three Southern Provinces and my trip to Sungai Kolok was maybe nine years ago.

So, I must say, stick it. You make-up your own lies.

At least you can admit that might have underestimated the number of check points, whether it was a blind guess or an actual estimate doesn't really matter, your number was way off and I think you realise that now.

Just take a rough estimate of how many armored cars you think you passed on that same stretch, are we talking 5 or 50? 

23 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

At least you can admit that might have underestimated the number of check points, whether it was a blind guess or an actual estimate doesn't really matter, your number was way off and I think you realise that now.

Just take a rough estimate of how many armored cars you think you passed on that same stretch, are we talking 5 or 50? 

I have made no attempt to deceive anyone and I resent your implication that I have lied to do so. My point was and is that I have been stopped at very few checkpoints after many years, many kilometers and much coverage of Thailand, including to Sungai Kolok. If you do not believe my statements, that is your option. I have nothing further to say to you.

I rode a motorcycle everywhere when I was here for the whole year in 2010, and only ever got stopped once. 

The conversation went like this (as I removed my helmet):

Oh, where you going?

Chiang Mai

Bye.

Just as well, because at that time I didn't have a motorcycle licence at all. 

In a previous visit this year I got pulled up three or four days in a row -- all at the same spot on Canal Road as I was on my way to the 700 Year sports complex. I come here as a visitor (not a resident), so each time I showed them my home country m/c licence and my IDP, and I was allowed to proceed. It was courteous and reasonably professional. 

Based on my limited experience, I think they were doing their jobs to the extent that a road block is doing something. . I'd like to see them be more pro-active in reducing the crazy driving I see here, though ...

19 minutes ago, smotherb said:

I have made no attempt to deceive anyone and I resent your implication that I have lied to do so. My point was and is that I have been stopped at very few checkpoints after many years, many kilometers and much coverage of Thailand, including to Sungai Kolok. If you do not believe my statements, that is your option. I have nothing further to say to you.

You were asked a simple question, an answer could make you sound truthful or it could reveal you as a liar, I believe the latter is why you refuse to answer, that is my belief, it is my belief that you are a liar, resent that if you like, it is not as if I haven't given you ample chance to demonstrate otherwise however you have chosen to avoid the question instead.

2 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

You were asked a simple question, an answer could make you sound truthful or it could reveal you as a liar, I believe the latter is why you refuse to answer, that is my belief, it is my belief that you are a liar, resent that if you like, it is not as if I haven't given you ample chance to demonstrate otherwise however you have chosen to avoid the question instead.

Ladies! Ladies! Take it offline already.  

1 hour ago, Kieran00001 said:

Sorry, I just smelled a rat, but I will drop it now.

Hey, thanks for receiving that comment in the right spirit. We all get tunnel vision sometimes. Got any good Chiang Mai cop stories?

On 6/25/2018 at 4:02 PM, Vacuum said:

In 18 years, I've been stopped 2 times at check points.

Living here for over 3 years I’ve  never been stopped at a check point.  They look at the stickers or if near the border see I’m not Asian and wave us through.  Have to admit the roads being what they are I don’t drive anymore than absolutely necessary.  

One other memory of being pulled up by cops, not in Chiang Mai itself, but in some rural town outside the city. Cop waves the car over, I wind the window down, the cop sees my face, and says to his mate as he waves me on, 'Mai ao farang!'

Fish-in-a-barrel stops are usually pretty predictable as to location if you get around the city much. 

If you are going around the moat and thereabouts, you will get hit at least once a day or more. If you want to sail through, learn the Thai for, "Second (third, fourth, etc.) time today," and say it as you slow down. That gets a wave-through every time in my experience. 

People who say they have been here years and have only been stopped a couple of times are basically saying they don't live near any police pullover stops. 

If I never went downtown, I could probably claim much the same. 

Personally, I think these "random" pullovers are a farce. If the traffic and helmet/licensing laws were enforced in the first place, there would be no need for the pullovers (except for DUI). 

And it's even more of a clown show when you see people running red lights at EVERY intersection, even if police are there "directing" traffic, not to mention all manner of moving violations that the police clearly don't care a whit about. 

On 6/26/2018 at 1:52 AM, simoh1490 said:

If the OP has in fact been stopped at police check points on average once a day for six months I can only presume he lives right next to a police checkpoint and has no alternate route from where he lives. I've lived in Chiang Mai for 16 years and I drive a lot, I never get stopped when driving locally or even around the city. The only times I may get stopped is if I head up to Chiang Rai or South to Central Thailand and even then I almost never get stopped, just waved through. I think I've only been actually stopped and asked questions maybe four or five times in those 16 years so there's something incomplete about the OP's story.

Chiang Mai along with Phuket and possibly Pattaya, is a notorious hotspot for license checks.  Checkpoints move around occasionally, so you can't avoid them so easily. 16 years and only stopped 5 times cannot be true, (though I've only been visiting CM for about 4 years, so I can't account for the other 12 years, maybe there were fewer checks then).  In those 4 years of occasional visits, I've been stopped on average about twice a week, so over 4 years, multiplying that up, I'd expect to have been stopped hundreds of times.

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 3:09 PM, Grumpy Old Man said:

I would like to share my interactions and experiences with the Thai Police in and around Chiangmai over this last six months; there are many stories online about the Thai Police being corrupt, lazy, not fit for purpose, incompetent and generally a total waste of good skin so I would like to share my experiences.

Many people might find this strange but I keep a detailed log of all my Police interactions, check point stops and general enquires, you never know when you might need the information.

My vehicle is fitted with a forward and rear facing colour, full HD and infrared camera system, this makes keeping a traffic or check point stop log much easier.

On average I have been stopped at a check point once a day for the last six months the most check point stops in a twenty four hour period being SEVEN; all of the check points I've been stopped at have been well laid out normally reducing the road to one lane for the check point management with at least five officers.

I have only ever been asked once for a driving licence and on production of my Thai driving license was told OK and passed through the gate on wheels used at the check point.

On many occasions when I lower my driver side window and in my best British English say "Good morning, afternoon or evening how can I help you" and the Police Office sees an old very white guy they don't even engage in conversation and just wave me through.

I have only even been asked once if I have been drinking whisky before driving and with a polite "No drink whisky" I was waved on; the officers can tell at a glance if you're worth further investigation.

Two non check point interactions with Thai Police I want to share; when my wife and I returned to our home in the private village where we live the front door was open / ajar and Mrs GOM said she was sure she'd closed and locked it, we both backed away from our home and contacted the village security / gate house, they called the Police and within ten minutes two armed officers arrive, checked their weapons and did a house sweep; very impressed with their professionalism.

Last Saturday my friend called me at 07:00Hrs announcing he was in jail, could I come and help him; jail turned out to be a holding cell at a district Police Station. I got the location for Google Maps and after a nice coffee took a leisurely drive to the Police Station on entering the Police Station I was greeted by two officers who spoke basic English and asked how they can help me; with my very bad Thai and Google translator they understood I was here to try and help Mr . . . . . who I understand is in their custody, very much to my surprise they invited me through to the holding cell area and there was my friend looking very sorry for himself.

Every interaction, check point stop and general enquiry I've had has been conducted in a very professional manner, maybe I've just been lucky.

No, you haven't just been lucky, you're just a rational poster commenting on normal circumstances positively, from first-hand experience. 

Makes a change from the uninformed bashers who populate this forum and post garbage based usually on nothing but urban myth or hearsay from "a friend".

5 minutes ago, partjfos said:

Chiang Mai along with Phuket and possibly Pattaya, is a notorious hotspot for license checks.  Checkpoints move around occasionally, so you can't avoid them so easily. 16 years and only stopped 5 times cannot be true, (though I've only been visiting CM for about 4 years, so I can't account for the other 12 years, maybe there were fewer checks then).  In those 4 years of occasional visits, I've been stopped on average about twice a week, so over 4 years, multiplying that up, I'd expect to have been stopped hundreds of times.

I drive a Vigo pickup with Chiang Mai plates, not a motorbike or a scooter, I never get stopped at the license checks in Chiang Mai, NEVER. I do get stopped when I long haul up to Chiang Rai or down South to Sukhothai but in CM and the surrounds, never. And honestly, I see lots of bikes getting stopped and checked every day but I very very rarely see a car being stopped for a license check.

On 6/25/2018 at 4:02 PM, Vacuum said:

In 18 years, I've been stopped 2 times at check points.

There is a difference between passing through a check point and being stopped.  I have passed through hundreds but always waved through, Only been stopped twice. Once , wife had just removed her seat belt to reach for a bottle of water in the back seat just as we hit a checkpoint.

That was in Chiang Mai and we had to queue several hours at the cop shop to pay the small fine along with hundreds of others.

Second time, got stopped and fined 1000 baht on the spot for having a tax disc that had expired the day before and I had forgotten to renew.

Yes but OP specifically says 'stopped'.  To me, stopped means not immediately waved through a manned checkpoint.  Even if the interaction with the police only amounts to winding down the window (i.e. no conversation) that is still stopping.

Maybe OP could clarify what they mean by 'stopped'.  If they just mean driving straight through with no attempt by the police to look inside the vehicle or talk to the driver, then that wouldn't be stopping and might shed some light on other accounts from car-drivers which differ wildly.

27 minutes ago, Denim said:

Second time, got stopped and fined 1000 baht on the spot for having a tax disc that had expired the day before and I had forgotten to renew.

Saved you from queueing in the 'cop shop'. :smile:

4 minutes ago, partjfos said:

In my case because I have no license?

I imagine other people's reasons might differ.

Do you drive without a license in your home country? If not why, and why do you do it here?

17 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Do you drive without a license in your home country? If not why, and why do you do it here?

Yes and insurance.  I ended up spending so much time in prison as a result it became impractical so I decided to go to a country without a nanny state mindset.  I don't agree with bureaucracy, redtape or licensing of any kind, except to protect vulnerable people or animals.  It's the scourge of modern society.

Yes and insurance.  I ended up spending so much time in prison as a result it became impractical so I decided to go to a country without a nanny state mindset.  I don't agree with bureaucracy, redtape or licensing of any kind, except to protect vulnerable people or animals.  It's the scourge of modern society.

So you drive in Thailand with no insurance?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

My bike on an island here has no tax disc, so I believe that renders the government insurance void.  Rental bikes which I spend most time on presumably have up to date tax discs, so they would have the standard government insurance irrespective of whether the rider has the appropriate license or not.

1 hour ago, Vacuum said:

Saved you from queueing in the 'cop shop'. :smile:

Yes really. A lot more preferable. It was a fair cop and we were on our way in 15 minutes. The Chiang Ma I fine wasted the best part of a day

( our holiday ) just to pay the 100 baht fine.

1 hour ago, partjfos said:

Strange, a lot of people seem to think the scourge of Thailand is the lack of enforced rules, but you think that if they had them then that would be the scourge, so in your opinion, what is the current scourge of Thailand?

After posting I have never been stopped in the car in 11 years in CM yesterday, with my Thai wife,we were stopped on the ring road almost oppsite Central Festival. Asked for my Thai driving licence which I provided .Officer asked my wife where we lived .She replied Hang Dong ,he flipped the card and saw the address and in perfect,seemingly  practiced English smiled and said to me "Thank you sir have nice day". 12 officers present which seems a massive over kill. Please get out on the roads and help stop the carnage.

Archived