Small AA Group - Tradition 3

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, mogandave said:

Exactly, groups need to be able to vote others out they feel are not real alcoholics.

Why don't you vote on ways that focus on our primary purpose and let the people who claim to be alcoholics and just decided to hang out in an AA meeting (just for the sake of it) sort itself out themselves (as it always does).   You are a member if you say you are a member, so if you are a drug addict, gambler, sex addict, bipolar, crackpot, etc, etc, etc and an ALCOHOLIC you are a member! 

1 hour ago, Wilson Smith said:

Why don't you vote on ways that focus on our primary purpose and let the people who claim to be alcoholics and just decided to hang out in an AA meeting (just for the sake of it) sort itself out themselves (as it always does).   You are a member if you say you are a member, so if you are a drug addict, gambler, sex addict, bipolar, crackpot, etc, etc, etc and an ALCOHOLIC you are a member! 

What's wrong with gamblers?

It's clear from this thread that meetings need strong chairs (!), strong trusted servants and strong conscience processes. We don't need debates.... The minute someone starts using 'you' as in 'you don't need to do the programme', ' you should....' the chair needs to tell  the speaker to use 'I', talk exclusively about their personal experience, not offer advice and not cross share. If that doesn't work a quiet word after the meeting, if that doesn't work a group conscience ... And the trusted servants should model this in their sharing too by talking about how the program has helped. But every group needs a core group of culture carriers who are clear about this stuff and also how to deal with it.

The funny thing (or sad thing) is that many people are very quick to point out a tradition like it is a rule. So many people point to others when they are doing something "wrong". We call out people for not following the traditions. Can you image if we started doing this to with the steps. We would see someone angry, resentful or disturbed and we could start a tread how people are not doing the 4th or the 10th step, we can have long discussions how they are a faking it and not really "working" the program. Anyone who did any selfish or self-centered act we would call out say they are not going step 3. And the classic from the Seinfeld episode on step 9 when George was waiting from an amends from James Spade (who was going to AA) so George went to the AA meeting screaming "step skipper". 

2 hours ago, mogandave said:

Perhaps we should consider kicking people out that are not working the steps.

Haha that is point, you can't!

“It is a spiritual axiom that every time we are disturbed, no matter what the cause, there is something wrong with us.
and more............................
"Continue to watch for selfishness, dishonesty, resentment, and fear. When these crop up, we ask God at once to remove them. We discuss them with someone immediately and make amends quickly if we have harmed anyone. Then we resolutely turn our thoughts to someone we can help."

“It is a spiritual axiom that every time we are disturbed, no matter what the cause, there is something wrong with us.” 

Haha that is point, you can't!

“It is a spiritual axiom that every time we are disturbed, no matter what the cause, there is something wrong with us. and more............................ "Continue to watch for selfishness, dishonesty, resentment, and fear. When these crop up, we ask God at once to remove them. We discuss them with someone immediately and make amends quickly if we have harmed anyone. Then we resolutely turn our thoughts to someone we can help."     28 likes Like “It is a spiritual axiom that every time we are disturbed, no matter what the cause, there is something wrong with us.” 

I don’t want to kick anyone out.

• 10 months later...

Hi all.

I will be moving to Thailand in about 6 months. I've been sober for 10+ years and go to AA meetings. I will be moving to a rural area about 40 miles or so from Roi Et and near Phon Thong. This is just a stab in the dark but I was wondering if anyone knows of any meetings in that area?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. You can also PM me.

Thanks,

Randy

• 2 weeks later...

Archived