BANGKOK
MrPatrickThai

Small AA Group - Tradition 3

Just now, MrPatrickThai said:

The PG considers all psychiatric/psychotropic drugs regardless of doctor prescription ruinous to ones sobriety. 

I wonder if they allow cigarettes and coffee, which contain psychoactive drugs.

51 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Right on bro! "Recovered" is mentioned 20 times in the BB.

Some are terrified of this word, I wonder why?

It mentions recovered, but it's very clear that nobody is ever cured.  We have a temporary reprieve from a disease that has progressed even while we haven't taken a drink.

Referring to myself as "recovered" is rather cocky and just bad mojo.  Even if I no longer suffer.  In fact, it's the opposite of suffering.

• Confused 1

I don't think it's a case of him liking them, or not. He says they are not alcoholics. 

It’s nice he has you to speak for him.

1 minute ago, impulse said:

It mentions recovered, but it's very clear that nobody is ever cured.  We have a temporary reprieve from a disease that has progressed even while we haven't taken a drink.

Referring to myself as "recovered" is rather cocky and just bad mojo.  Even if I no longer suffer.  In fact, it's the opposite of suffering.

If you ain't recovered, you're doing something wrong.

It doesn't "mention" recovered, it states many times that we ARE recovered.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I wonder if they allow cigarettes and coffee, which contain psychoactive drugs.

That was always a puzzler for me.  Someone walks into a room to try to kick an addiction and we give them a cup of caffeine and offer them a nicotine stick.  But hey, who am I to argue with the millions who came before me? 

Just now, MrPatrickThai said:

If you ain't recovered, you're doing something wrong.

It doesn't "mention" recovered, it states many times that we ARE recovered.

If I'm not getting better every year, I'm doing something wrong.   Progress, not perfection.  Which means I'm still recovering.

40 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I don't think it's a case of him liking them, or not. He says they are not alcoholics. 

Although I didn't like them, that was not the point. You are correct.

That was always a puzzler for me.  Someone walks into a room to try to kick an addiction and we give them a cup of caffeine and offer them a nicotine stick.  But hey, who am I to argue with the millions who came before me? 

I never had a cigarette and a cup of coffee and ended up in jail, getting fired, or waking up in a wet bed.

1 minute ago, impulse said:

If I'm not getting better every year, I'm doing something wrong.   Progress, not perfection.  Which means I'm still recovering.

No it doesn't mean that.

You are progressing spiritually, hopefully.

You recovered from a hopeless state of body and mind many years ago.

Although I didn't like them, that was not the point. You are correct.

I thought so. I assumed that the fact that you didn’t like them was a coincidence.
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, mogandave said:

I thought so. I assumed that the fact that you didn’t like them was a coincidence.

This makes no sense.

This makes no sense.

Why?

You said it was not the point,I said I thought so, which was meant to agree with you.

I went on to say that I assumed the fact that you didn’t like them was just a coincidence, meaning the fact that you didn’t like them had nothing to do with you driving them away.

Again, I think we are in agreement, yes?

2 minutes ago, mogandave said:
6 minutes ago, impulse said:

I never had a cigarette and a cup of coffee and ended up in jail, getting fired, or waking up in a wet bed. 

Mine was more of a response to Neeranam's comment about the AA purists who decry all mind altering substances, whether prescribed by a doctor or not.  Yet while they're condemning anti-depressants, pain killers, and others, they hand out good mind altering substances like caffeine and nicotine. 

And, keep in mind that the Big Book was written decades before there was any real understanding of brain chemistry and activity, much less effective treatments for a lot of currently treatable mental illnesses that used to doom people to lives of desperation.  A lot of "alcoholics" back then were actually mentally ill and used booze as a coping mechanism.  Fortunately, the 12 steps work on a lot of life's problems.

And it was written by guys (and gals) with no literary background, who often struggled for words.  I recall listening to one of the original members laughing about how much is read into the choice of words.  He basically said "we didn't want to use the same word too many times on one page, so we mixed it up".  After I heard that, I stopped trying to parse it too finely.

No it doesn't mean that.

You are progressing spiritually, hopefully.

You recovered from a hopeless state of body and mind many years ago.

So have we recovered from alcoholism or just the symptoms?

4 minutes ago, impulse said:

A lot of "alcoholics" back then were actually mentally ill and used booze as a coping mechanism.

I could be wrong, but aren't all alcoholics mentally ill?