BANGKOK 18 July 2019 13:59
songhklasid

Trip to songhkla

2 hours ago, essox essox said:

song kla is not really in the south of thailand.....so why worry ???

So where is it then?

When i was doing my business  trips, the company wouldn't allow staying in Hat Yai as it was deemed potential  danger zone (indeed there was the hotel bombing  at that time), but Songkhla was deemed safe. South of Chana was no-go. I always enjoyed my stays in songkhla. Interesting to hear the Samila has been done up - it was pretty poor on my last visit in 2014.

4 hours ago, swissbie said:

So where is it then?

look it up on a map simple as that....OK

7 hours ago, essox essox said:

Songkhla is an 85 km drive to Padang Besar, at the Malaysian border. That's as far south as you can go, so I think many of us might disagree with you.

It's kind of like saying Chiang Rai is not in the north of Thailand.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, bubba said:

Songkhla is an 85 km drive to Padang Besar, at the Malaysian border. That's as far south as you can go, so I think many of us might disagree with you.

It's kind of like saying Chiang Rai is not in the north of Thailand.

Actually to nit-pick, and I'm sure someone will, so it might as well be me, the furthest point south is just beyond Betong, that's about 200km from Songkhla Town. So sure, Songkhla Town isn't in the Pattani States, the 'Deep South', but it is only 40km north of the big army checkpoint that marks the frontline, south of which bad things happen to people on a regular basis.

8 hours ago, essox essox said:

As pointed out in the post above, saying Songkhla isn't in the south of Thailand is the same as saying Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai aren't in the north, besides which your post adds nothing to the OP's question.

Edited by Stocky
  • Like 2

Sounds interesting, I've never been to Songkhla. How do you get there? My nearest airport isKhon Kaen. So I guess fly to BKK, but then?

10 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Sounds interesting, I've never been to Songkhla. How do you get there? My nearest airport isKhon Kaen. So I guess fly to BKK, but then?

Fly to Hatyai and then 25 odd km's by road.

Edited by South

14 hours ago, Kalasin Jo said:

There's a direct flight from Khon Kaen to Hat Hai with Air Asia, and Thai Lion fly direct Hat Yai - Udon Thani.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, essox essox said:

Songkhla (the province) makes it onto many of the Embassy travel advisories as an insurgent risk.  But Songkhla covers a wide area, including Hat Yai and Songkhla town itself.  Our company forbids unnecessary travel around Hat Yai because of the embassy warnings, but mostly that's the lawyers wanting to avoid liability.  Songkhla the town isn't singled out as a danger area.

One smart policy is that we are discouraged from traveling the remote roads after dark because of the high rate of accidents.  We stay in Songkhla hotels and drive to the HDY airport the next day.  But that's a good policy on all Thai roads where a lot of the vehicles have no lights.

You'll occasionally read about insurgent activity in Songkhla, but that's like hearing about incidents in New York and finding out it happened in Buffalo, and not NYC.  Around 10 years ago, there was a bombing in a Songkhla town hotel (Green World, I think), but my co-workers from the area tell me it was a typical Thai business dispute and NOT an insurgent act. 

And I recall, the owner of one hotel mentioned here is in prison under death sentence right now for murder.  Maybe someone who lives there has an update...  I'm not going to mention which hotel, because of Thai defamation laws and the fact that his status may have changed as envelopes change hands.

On 6/26/2018 at 7:48 PM, songhklasid said:

Weill certainly do, looking forward to it now, & sharing the best seafood with my Chiang mai lady,my previous visits I visited the "dark side" as it was known then , the cosmos, offshore bar, & the office , are they still happening ?

Just interested, memories ! 

Cheers SS.

The 'dark side' is still there, but nothing like it used to be...very quiet. Most of the services  are still available. OffShore was a boutique for a long while, not it is a kiwi expat bar. Cosmos is the same, but not many staff. Not sure about Office...anyway, still good for a trip down memory lane but don't expect a wild night in any of those bars...

19 hours ago, essox essox said:

look it up on a map simple as that....OK

I'm living in Na Mom district of Songkhla, bordering Chana and Na Thawee districts in the so called red zone. It's called the deep south, no need for a map. To the OP; i prefer Hat Chalathat, south of Hat Samila. It's also good for swimming and has a lot of seafood restaurants, less busy though (except Sat. evening/nights).

On 6/28/2018 at 1:51 PM, swissbie said:

I'm living in Na Mom district of Songkhla, bordering Chana and Na Thawee districts in the so called red zone. It's called the deep south, no need for a map. To the OP; i prefer Hat Chalathat, south of Hat Samila. It's also good for swimming and has a lot of seafood restaurants, less busy though (except Sat. evening/nights).

Technically accurate, but most people refer to both Samila and Chalathat beaches collectively as Samila beach.