Former Thai PM Thaksin: "I'm Calling It Quits"

Jai Dee

The man was popular and still is. Where was the public outcry over the thousands of extra judicial killings in the south and in the war against drug campaign when it was going on? There was no outcry .....in fact it was the opposite. The killings were popular and most people saw the deaths as no more than the alleviation of a rat problem. Now you have all these people coming out against the "killing of their fellow countrymen". Bit late for that now don't you reckon.

Calling it Quits :o ?

I'd win poll if I ran _ Thaksin

Deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra has told Time Magazine he has no political ambitions but voiced confidence he would win if he ran in an election now. ''I'm quite confident that if I ran [for election]today, I would win,[but] I have no political ambitions. I am calling it quits,'' he said.

The interview was conducted in Tokyo on Jan 25 and made available on the magazine's website yesterday. It dealt with issues earlier covered in other interviews with the US media.

Mr Thaksin also blasted the coup that ousted him on Sept 19, the generals who staged it, the interim government's economic policies, and the media.

He denied any connection with the New Year bombings that left three people dead and 42 injured.

He said allegations of graft against him were ''baseless''. He said he had used ''strong words'' against the media when he was in power because they ''printed groundless information about me''.

Of the capital controls and proposed Foreign Business Act changes, he said ''no one can adopt protectionism anymore. Thailand has to be ready for globalisation _ you cannot turn your back on it.''

Source: Bangkok Post

Deposed PM wishes to help restore peace to deep south

Deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra told the Time magazine that he wanted to help bring reconciliation to the deep south of Thailand if he eventually returned home.

In his interview with the Time magazine's Feb 1 edition, Thaksin said he could help with the government's bid to heal the country.

"If you want to have national reconciliation, it's like clapping hands. If you try to clap with one hand, and take another hand far away, is it possible? You have to bring that hand back. I have quit politics, don't worry, but I want to help with reconciliation,"

Thaksin government's tough policies in dealing with the violence in the south have been blamed for deaths of over 2,000 people, mostly in extra-judicial killings.

Since his ousting from the government in September last year, Thaksin has been trotting around the globe to give interviews to foreign media, attacking the military junta and new government.

In the interview with the Time in Tokyo last week, he jokingly said he is forming a new party, the Enjoy Life Party. "The new Enjoy Life Party's platform? Playing golf, traveling, relaxing, meeting friends. Don't be too serious about life."

He said he has reacquainted himself with the pleasures of golf—at least until conditions in Beijing, where he spends much of his time, got so icy his bodyguard couldn't put the tee into the ground.

He said he lost some weight because he did yoga, but not because he felt grievances. He said was very relaxed. He said, "Thanks to the CNS for this, so I can retire," he said. "After being ousted, I had a very good excuse to quit politics."

Thaksin also commented on the coup that toppled him, saying at first the people were shocked and then started to voice their concerns.

"And then they start to accept it, especially after it's endorsed by His Majesty the King. They're very disciplined. They obey. But they are watching what [the new rulers] are doing, and when they will return democracy to the people. People's tolerance is limited."

Source: The Nation - 2 February 2007

Loved the one hand clapping analogy. As he claps with one hand for the Muslims in the south, he's blueberry messaging targets to the death squads. Hasn't he "helped" the south enough?

Calling it Quits :o ?

I'd win poll if I ran _ Thaksin

Deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra has told Time Magazine he has no political ambitions but voiced confidence he would win if he ran in an election now. ''I'm quite confident that if I ran [for election]today, I would win,[but] I have no political ambitions. I am calling it quits,'' he said.

The interview was conducted in Tokyo on Jan 25 and made available on the magazine's website yesterday. It dealt with issues earlier covered in other interviews with the US media.

Mr Thaksin also blasted the coup that ousted him on Sept 19, the generals who staged it, the interim government's economic policies, and the media.

He denied any connection with the New Year bombings that left three people dead and 42 injured.

He said allegations of graft against him were ''baseless''. He said he had used ''strong words'' against the media when he was in power because they ''printed groundless information about me''.

Of the capital controls and proposed Foreign Business Act changes, he said ''no one can adopt protectionism anymore. Thailand has to be ready for globalisation _ you cannot turn your back on it.''

Source: Bangkok Post

I guess by "strong words" he refers to his frequent libel suits, having reporter(s) disciplined, fired for reporting the facts. Strong words, indeed.

I could not help but note that post #1 the thread “Thailand’s titanic struggle” simply says that the comments referenced in post #1 of this thread are a lie. I wonder how many other people around the world see this.

However there are some people we don’t mind coming back like Michael Jordan who said they had retired.

Thaksin to attack Govt, CNS through website, satellite TV

Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra will step up his attacks by giving video interviews which will be broadcast through a satellite TV and a website, a well-informed source said Sunday.

The source said the clips of his interview would be broadcast through www.reporter.co.th, known to be owned by his aide, Newin Chidchob.

The interviews would also beamed into the country on BTV to be picked up and relayed by certain local cable TV operators, the source said.

The Nation

Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra will step up his attacks by giving video interviews which will be broadcast through a satellite TV and a website, a well-informed source said Sunday.

The source said the clips of his interview would be broadcast through www.reporter.co.th, known to be owned by his aide, Newin Chidchob.

The interviews would also beamed into the country on BTV to be picked up and relayed by certain local cable TV operators, the source said.

The Nation

I'm curious about who this well-informed source is?

Funny how Thaksin is now forced to use the tactics Sonthi L. had to use in order to broadcast in Thailand. :D

Well well... Highly criticizing Sonthi L. for barking out through his own channels, Thaksin now imitates him through www.reporter.co.th while Sonthis's website is www.manager.co.th. :o

"interviews would also beamed into the country on BTV to be picked up and relayed by certain local cable TV operators, the source said."

This is the only way Sonthi L. could manage to broadcast here under Thaksin's tenure. Unable to obtain a tv station broadcasting licence to provide his programming internally within the country (you know why and because of whom...) The only way for Sonthi L. was to run his broadcasts as a content provider which consisted of streaming his tv channel through the internet to Hong Kong, then uplink to a satellite which would rebroadcast the content, free of charge and available to any local cable distributors across the country. This actually was fought in court with Sonthi L. winning the case.

*update

www.reporter.co.th can be found on Google but you will get redirected here:

http://directory.truehits.net/shownewsdetail.php?id=27764 :D

Censorship biting his a55 back. :D

Edited by Tony Clifton

The Nation

Funny how Thaksin is now forced to use the tactics Sonthi L. had to use in order to broadcast in Thailand. :D

well well... Highly criticizing Sonthi L. for barking out through his own channels, Thaksin now imitates him through www.reporter.co.th while Sonthis's website is www.manager.co.th. :o

"interviews would also beamed into the country on BTV to be picked up and relayed by certain local cable TV operators, the source said."

This is the only way Sonthi L. could manage to broadcast here under Thaksin's tenure. Unable to obtain a tv station broadcasting licence to provide his programming internally within the country (you know why and because of whom...) The only way for Sonthi L. was to run his broadcasts as a content provider which consisted of streaming his tv channel through the internet to Hong Kong, then uplink to a satellite which would rebroadcast the content, free of charge and available to any local cable distributors across the country. This actually was fought in court with Sonthi L. winning the case.

Hey Tony.... you moonlighting as a "source" for The Nation now??? :D

Thaksin rumoured to have rented satellite

Government officials are scrambling to verify rumours that former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra has rented a Chinese satellite to beam attacks against the junta into Thailand.

Foreign Affairs and Information and Communications Technology Ministry officials are seeking information about the broadcasts, a Council for National Security (CNS) source said.

The source said information suggested Thaksin would rent satellite time from the Chinese. The former prime minister is spending most of his time living in Beijing.

The source noted the similarities between Thaksin's alleged actions and those of his most vocal critic Sondhi Limthongkul. He used ASTV to broadcast his attacks on the former leader.

A former Thai Rak Thai member of Parliament said a group of journalists was gathering information in Thailand to counter accusations levelled against Thaksin. These rebuttals would be broadcast using Chinese cable television.

The party member declined to be named but said the journalists worked for the reporter.co.th website, an instrument once used by former Prime Minister's Office minister Newin Chidcob, a close Thaksin aide. The website was taken down voluntarily after the September coup.

The alleged broadcasts would be made using China's Beijing Television and local television and entertainment producer Traffic Corner Holdings, the Thai Rak Thai source said. He expected the first broadcast this week.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Kitti Wasinondh said the ministry was checking the validity of the information.

Thaksin's chief counsel in Thailand, Noppadon Pattama, told The Nation he knew nothing of the broadcasts but said his client would "love to talk to Thailand media, though".

At a press conference yesterday, Noppadon invited news organisations to seek interviews with Thaksin and promised to forward those requests to the exiled leader.

Thaksin is prepared to consider interviews in person, by telephone, teleconference or over the Internet, he said.

Noppadon said Thaksin was bound for London in March

- The Nation

Democrat Party calls on Mr. Thaksin to cease political actions if he truly loves Thailand

The Democrat Party has called on Mr. Thaksin Shinawatra to end actions which may damage the nation and high-level institutions to show his love for his homeland.

The Democrat Party Deputy Spokesperson, Mr. Satit Pituthecha (สาธิต ปิตุเตชะ), said that former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's interview with foreign media in which he compared the self-sufficiency economy to the Thaksinomics economy was entirely inappropriate and caused damage to high-level institutions in Thailand. Mr. Satit said that if Mr. Thaksin really loved his country he should end actions which caused harm to the nation, including the cessation of underground political movements.

Meanwhile Mr. Ong-arch Klambpiboon (องอาจ คร้ามไพบูลย์), the Democrat Party Spokesperson said that the economic principles inherent to Thaksinomics and the self-sufficiency economic model could not be compared. Mr. Ong-arch cited the example of the Suvarnabhumi runways which looked orderly and clean during the Thaksinomics era, but turned out to be riddled with problems when opened for operations.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 05 February 2007

Campaign for Popular Democracy proposes 5 measures to handle Mr. Thaksin's movements

The Campaign for Popular Democracy has proposed 5 measures to oppose Mr. Thaksin's movements while abroad, while observing that the Council for National Security (CNS) is not expediting investigations into the Bangkok bombings.

The Secretary General of the Campaign for Popular Democracy, Mr. Suriyasai Katasila (สุริยะใส กตะศิลา), has proposed 5 response measures to former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's movements while abroad. Mr. Suriyasai said that white papers on the past government's corruption could be drafted and dispatched to foreign governments. Documents responding to Mr. Thaksin's exaggerated letters to other nations could also be dispatched to the major superpowers and ASEAN member nations. Mr. Suriyasai said that the Council for National Security could conduct press conferences for foreign media at least twice a month. Human right charges against the Thakin administration could also be levied. Mr. Suriyasai added that free trade agreement conditions which benefited relatives and close acquaintances of Mr. Thaksin should also be examined.

The Secretary General of the Campaign for Popular Democracy also observed that the government and the Council for National Security (CNS) may be using the Royal Thai Police Commissioner General, Pol Gen Kowit Watana, as a scapegoat to conceal their inability or disregard to expedite the Bangkok bombing investigations.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 05 February 2007

Nice to see the truth revealed in how the journalists themselves felt about media freedom during Thaksin's regime. Those that were in the thick of things then and now and what their assessment reveals.

From The Nation:

Media groups slam 'Time' magazine

The Thai Journalists Association and the Thai Broadcasters Association yesterday sent a letter to the management of Time magazine to present the truth regarding deposed Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's allegation against the Thai media.

The letter read as follows:

Dear Editor,

Shame on your interview with Thaksin Shinawatra (Time Asia edition Feb 13).

Time magazine allowed Thaksin to tell lies. Thaksin has the audacity to say that the Thai press printed "groundless

information" about him and that he never "intervened" in Thai media activities or closed them down. Let the truth be told.

Before he came to power, the Thai press was considered one of the freest in the world, ranking 29th in the survey done by Freedom House in 2000. During his reign until September 19, the Thai press fell to a depressing 107th position last year.

Similar conclusions can be found on indexes and reported by the Committee to Protect Journalists and Reporters Without Frontiers. Thaksin constantly interfered with the Thai print and broadcast media using advertising revenues and stock acquisitions as key strategies. He shut down community radios, websites and TV programmes critical of him.

Political power was used to intimidate the media, particularly the broadcast media, which are largely owned by the state. The management of these outlets came under tremendous government pressure to put him in a positive light, while those who failed to conform or attempted to expose corruption faced the risk of being intimidated through various means, including the threat of staggering lawsuits.

The legal battles between Shin Corp, which is owned by the Shinawatra family, and the Thai Post and media rights activist Supinya Klangnarong, are some of the cases in point. English language daily, the Bangkok Post, also faced the wrath of Thaksin after reporting about cracks on the runway at the Suvarnabhumi International Airport.

We are opposed to all kinds of media interference, intervention or intimidation, and have protested strongly against signs of such actions by the leaders of the September 19 coup. But the truth is, so far, no Thai leaders have messed up the Thai media more than Thaksin.

- Thai Journalists Association & the Thai Broadcasters Association

Thai media informs Time that ousted PM lied

Three media organisations have sent a letter of protest to Time magazine for allowing ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra to lie about press freedom during his administration. In the letter, the Thai Journalists Association, Thai Broadcasters Association, and National Press Council of Thailand denounced an interview with Mr Thaksin who claimed the press had printed ''groundless information'' about him and he ''never intervened'' in their activities or closed them down. ''No Thai leaders have messed up the Thai media more than Thaksin,'' the letter concluded.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/06Feb2007_news04.php

Three media organisations have sent a letter of protest to Time magazine for allowing ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra to lie about press freedom during his administration. In the letter, the Thai Journalists Association, Thai Broadcasters Association, and National Press Council of Thailand denounced an interview with Mr Thaksin who claimed the press had printed ''groundless information'' about him and he ''never intervened'' in their activities or closed them down. ''No Thai leaders have messed up the Thai media more than Thaksin,'' the letter concluded.

Continued here:

"No Thai leaders have messed up the Thai media more than Thaksin.....the letter concluded"

So, they admit -more or less- that former/present Thai leaders 'did' mess up also, though not worse than Thaksin.... :o

Bad letter.

LaoPo

It's interesting that the news organizations that Thaksin tried to muzzle are acting in much the same way when they admonish other news organizations to muzzle the former PM.

The solution to the Thaksin 'problem' is not more censorship but more vigorous and open discussion about his actions as PM, as well as, more open discussion about the nonsense the current junta is wreaking on the country.

Continued here:

"No Thai leaders have messed up the Thai media more than Thaksin.....the letter concluded"

So, they admit -more or less- that former/present Thai leaders 'did' mess up also, though not worse than Thaksin.... :o

Bad letter.

LaoPo

I think it's a good letter that puts things in perspective.

They are honestly admitting and recognizing that Thailand was never exactly a bastion of free media, otherwise they would have been ranked in the Top 10 by Freedom House in 2000, and that today they are limitations imposed. What they are saying is that Thaksin was the absolute worst and that media freedom dramatically decreased during his tyrannical rule.

It's very akin to the corruption that is associated with Thaksin in that it's been described as "unprecedented."

It's interesting that the news organizations that Thaksin tried to muzzle are acting in much the same way when they admonish other news organizations to muzzle the former PM.

The solution to the Thaksin 'problem' is not more censorship but more vigorous and open discussion about his actions as PM, as well as, more open discussion about the nonsense the current junta is wreaking on the country.

I don't think they are trying to "muzzle" Time... they are trying to point out that many of his statements in the interview went unquestioned or were unsupported by facts.

I think they would be the last group to advocate "censorship"... they are calling for honest and assertive journalistic assessments of what people say during interviews.

The last paragraph of their letter supports that, as well as recognizing that they have concerns for the current situation as well.

I don't think they are trying to "muzzle" Time... they are trying to point out that many of his statements in the interview went unquestioned or were unsupported by facts.

I think they would be the last group to advocate "censorship"... they are calling for honest and assertive journalistic assessments of what people say during interviews.

The last paragraph of their letter supports that, as well as recognizing that they have concerns for the current situation as well.

That is an interesting point. He has neither appeared in/on organs that are sympathetic at least to his economic polices and/or on organs renowned for never asking hard questions. Now an appearance on Hard Talk of the BBC, that would be worth watching. At the moment it is more like reading/watching one of those boring propoganda stunts that so much of the so called free western media are good at pulling when they either want to influence things or allow themselves to be bought or conned though I doubt the Thaksin saga of interviews will reach the lows of some of the so called journalism before Iraq.

Minister to PMO said government would be ready to respond if Mr. Thaksin gave false information during his interviews

The Minister to the Prime Minister's Office said that the government would be ready with a response if former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra gave false information during his interviews, adding that the War of Words era was over.

The Minister to the Prime Minister's Office, Assc Prof Theerapat Seri Rangsan (ธีรภัทร์ เสรีรังสรรค์ ), said that the government would not place great focus on former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's allowance of foreign members of the press to register his name into a teleconference interview. Assc Prof Theerapat said that the government would instead concentrate on what Mr. Thaksin said during his interview with the foreign media. The minister said that if Mr. Thaksin was found to provide false information the government must respond in order to clarify matters.

Assc Prof Theerapat added that the War of Words era was now over, as political squabbling was not beneficial to the nation.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 06 February 2007

"Now an appearance on Hard Talk of the BBC, that would be worth watching."

Great idea! and maybe Jeremy Paxman could have a go at him too. I'd pay per view for that. :o

Who would hold out better on Hard Talk: Sonthi or Taksin? Larry King now, Sonthi, hands down- (he's 'sexier')- but Hard Talk...?

A QUESTION FOR THAKSIN

What would you like to ask Thaksin?

After giving interviews to the Western media, deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra is now welcoming the Thai media to interview him. The Nation website would like to invite our online readers to pose one question you most want to ask Thaksin.

Selected questions will be published but we maintain the right to delete questions deemed inappropriate. Send it now!!!

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/02/06...es_30026115.php

===============================================

some entertaining ones have already been posted.... :o

Do you thin Thaksin would agree on any interview that could put him in bad light?

Hard Talk? Forget it. He's not that brave or smart.

>>>>

How's Hard Talk nowadays? I quit watching after Tim Sebasitan left.

Right on the mark Plus. From the looks of things Thaksin is living up to his reputation. By setting up his own little broadcast system, he can avoid all challenges and just send out pure propaganda. Anything other than a friendly interview he will not even consider. It all is beginning to make sense. I think this is the 72 hour thing I predicted after his last I quit statement.

Just seen him on Al Jazeera (get that on cable down here).

Missed the first bit, but the woman seemed to be grilling him mostly about why he let 80 muslims die in the back of trucks.

Think he was passing that on off onto the Army.

I,ll try and find out what he said as it was a two part interview and quite lengthy.

Missed the first bit, but the woman seemed to be grilling him mostly about why he let 80 muslims die in the back of trucks.

I,ll try and find out what he said as it was a two part interview and quite lengthy.

The ARMY? What the hel_l did the Army have to do with Tak Bai- oh- wait- ah yes, they did play a minor role as I recall.

Did he have his little x sign?

That picture would look nicely supplement the one on the cover of Times.

I put a question to Thaksin on The Nation's page, btw.

Why do you call yourself a democratically elected leader when in fact you dissolved the parlament and pulicly resigned?