Reduced tolerance to alcohol

paulsingle

I'm 60 years old and have noticed a relatively rapid fall in my tolerance to alcohol. A year ago I could drink 6 to 8 pints of 5% beer on a Friday or Saturday. This would leave me feeling quite hungover the following day and even into the day after that.

Now I find that 4 pints produces the same ill  effects and I can't manage anything over 4 pints.

I find I can drink 2 or 3 pints on 2 or three occasions during the week but any more than 3 pints on one occasion or more than 6 pints a week is not worth drinking because of the hangover effects.

I just wondered if anyone else has found they have a relatively quick reduction in tolerance to alcohol.

I count a 620ml beer as a pint.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You need to get blood tests done - quickly.  You have the symptons of liver damage.  Are you taking any medications that also affect the liver?

Seriously - get it looked at ASAP.  Stop drinking for a while I would suggest.

The good news is that once the offending alcohol/drugs are reduce/removed and treatment undertaken for a while, the liver can regenerate itself.  

The bad news is that if the damage is bad, the liver may not be able to fully heal. And as you get older this ability to regenerate is reduced naturally

Get it checked out so that you know where things stand and what your options are.  Dont shrug it off until it is too late.  

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4736713/

Thanks for these responses. Reading the articles inevitably raises anxiety which is probably a good thing in my case.

I'm not talking any regular medication. I eat a healthy diet and get some exercise but I'll curtail my alcohol consumption and get a test done.

I've spent just over 4 months in Khon Kaen and I'm heading home to UK in a week's time so I'll arrange to get tested then.

I need to learn to go out and be sociable with non-alcoholic drinks. I think that will get easier once I start to realise I don't have to write days off for hangover recovery. 

Many of the over 60s that I know (self included) are the same, though I do not know any who could regularly do 8 x 620 ml in one session. And most of us are more over 60 than yourself. I think mainly an age thing.

The mention of blood tests interests me, I have an annual blood test and both the liver and kidney results fall well within the parameters. I have seen online replies saying that even double the recommended max is not really a problem. Anyone disagree.?

And my "safe" readings, do they automatically mean there is no problem at all?

You made the first step, congrats. Telling yourself "I really must stop drinking" is one thing, KNOWING that you need to stop is a big step. 

The way I look at it, for a long period you are almost proud of the fact that you can drink large amounts of alcohol without too much grief. This is because your liver is coping as well as it can, doing its job.

Obviously this can't go on forever and the liver starts to give up. You will be told to stop drinking, do exercise, all the rest of it.

Good luck!

• 2 months later...

When you break down the advantages you get from drinking liquor, it's constantly advantageous distinguishing different exercises that assistance you accomplish similar advantages however don't include drinking liquor, this enables you to substitute an undesirable action with a more advantageous option...

Be happy for this moment. This moment is your life

Maybe your body is just telling you enough is enough. I used to be a very heavy drinker and one day went into my buddies bar and they poured me my regular drink and it tasted like shit so tried something else, same then tried a few other things, same. Went to another bar, same  then saw a buddy that used to be an alcoholic and now only drinks soda so I tried it and it tasted great so thats what I drink most of the time now. I still drink occasionally but not often, sometimes it really still tastes good but mostly not. My body said quit, maybe yours is doing the same.

On 7/1/2018 at 11:37 AM, rott said:

Many of the over 60s that I know (self included) are the same, though I do not know any who could regularly do 8 x 620 ml in one session. And most of us are more over 60 than yourself. I think mainly an age thing.

The mention of blood tests interests me, I have an annual blood test and both the liver and kidney results fall well within the parameters. I have seen online replies saying that even double the recommended max is not really a problem. Anyone disagree.?

And my "safe" readings, do they automatically mean there is no problem at all?

tests are generally within normal limits until nearly 2/3rds of the organ's functional capacity is destroyed

On 6/27/2018 at 5:37 PM, paulsingle said:

I'm 60 years old and have noticed a relatively rapid fall in my tolerance to alcohol. A year ago I could drink 6 to 8 pints of 5% beer on a Friday or Saturday.

No doubt the result of the rapid decline in your liver function after a life of heavy drinking.  See a doctor.  Then take it as a sign that you need to find a different hobby and 'moderation' or 'abstinence' is your friend.

1 hour ago, OmarZaid said:

tests are generally within normal limits until nearly 2/3rds of the organ's functional capacity is destroyed

Can Sheryl or anybody with medical knowledge confirm this please? Bit worrying if correct. But perhaps the context is that 35% capacity is OK, especially for over 60s. I don't know, new one to me.

You have you same tolerance as before ,it is just that you are more easily bruised and battered from falling down . And the falling down more often is caused by your leg problem not the alcohol. At 80 years old I have learned to never let the bruising or battering of my body get in the way of GOOD WHISKEY>

I find that the older I get the less I want to drink, at 70 now I drink maybe 2 pints a month but I no longer like the taste (Thai beer is sh1t beer anyway) In Germany I would drink 3 or 4 pints a night with no ill effects but that was good beer, 14 years ago. Since I have been in Thailand I just don't want to drink.

32 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I find that the older I get the less I want to drink, at 70 now I drink maybe 2 pints a month but I no longer like the taste (Thai beer is sh1t beer anyway) In Germany I would drink 3 or 4 pints a night with no ill effects but that was good beer, 14 years ago. Since I have been in Thailand I just don't want to drink.

Get off that children's type of alcohol and  drink a mans drink Whiskey.

I've had the very same experience for some months now, to the very volume of alcohol as you. My tolerance levels got me so worried that i thought something must be wrong. I came back to the UK thinking my time in Thailand is over, anyway went to see the doctor who calmed me of the situation but still sent me for all the tests, blood test, liver function test and a kidney test, waited about a week and all was ok, for which I was shocked. Anywaygot talking to the doctor for which she explained, it's an age thing,but what was surprising is i have an underactive thyroid and many people who have this tend to have an intolerance to alcohol, so my advice my friend is have that checked, have a drink, thing of the good times you had with your friends, and can still have by the way ,and smile at the money you'll save. 

I've had the same experience. First I reduced my drinking. The symptoms then got better but not disappeared. Then made in Europe all necessary tests for my liver and other organs, but everything was looking good. Then I stopped drinking 100% and finally now I feel healthy again. But it took another 3-6 month to recover. 

Stop drinking! If a doctor can prove that your liver is damaged it will be already too late. You will feel much better without drinking.

On 6/27/2018 at 11:40 PM, paulsingle said:

Thanks for these responses. Reading the articles inevitably raises anxiety which is probably a good thing in my case.

I'm not talking any regular medication. I eat a healthy diet and get some exercise but I'll curtail my alcohol consumption and get a test done.

I've spent just over 4 months in Khon Kaen and I'm heading home to UK in a week's time so I'll arrange to get tested then.

I need to learn to go out and be sociable with non-alcoholic drinks. I think that will get easier once I start to realise I don't have to write days off for hangover recovery. 

My Cardiologist told me to give the liver a break as I used to drink 3 beers a day, I would have to stop drinking for at least 2-3 days a week, so I only drink on Wednesdays and Sundays, ok will sneak in a glass of Vodka Soda Lime after dinner every now and again or a glass of beer with the Mrs.

When I redid the blood test the results were back to normal, so I tend to do what he told me to do, as I am also on meds.

I also get a blood test done every 3-6 months and have a look at my liver reading amongst other things.

I am 58 and also consume a fair bit of water which helps flush the liver, especially after drinking.

Best of luck

EDIT: Now when I get blood test done, I give myself a break from alcohol for at least 2 -3 days to allow the reading to come in at normal, i.e. don't want to be raising any alarm bells like last time...lol

Quit drinking is not so difficult, the problem is there are few alternatives. I am very happy with the brand 00.0 alcohol-free beer from Korea but there are many brands available (supermarkets) with different tastes. The big problem is that they dont seem available in bars and restaurants. Not available in any airport lounge. Airlines and governement are trying to reduce alcohol consumption but does nothing to promote alcohol free drinks. I suspect that the alcohol-free beers are even taxed the same, anyway each can carries a tax sticker but I dont know what is exactly the meaning of this. It is really annoying to go to a restaurant with limited choice of non alcoholic drinks, so mostly I and up with a glass of sparkling water with a slice of lemon..

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

When young I would order six beers at a time to avoid flagging a waiter. Now, at 76, one beer is enough and only really tastes good a couple times a year. My liver is fine. It's just old age. The drop off in tolerance was most noticeable around age 60.

4 hours ago, Thian said:

Try natural brew beer like Hoegaarden or so....or sangsom coke....these drinks don't give me a headache/hangover but all the rest does.

You cannot get two more different drinks....Hoegaarden is natural as you say, Sangsom & Coke are just chemicals and sugar.

Archived