Reduced tolerance to alcohol

paulsingle

On 7/2/2018 at 8:30 AM, cooked said:

You made the first step, congrats. Telling yourself "I really must stop drinking" is one thing, KNOWING that you need to stop is a big step. 

The way I look at it, for a long period you are almost proud of the fact that you can drink large amounts of alcohol without too much grief. This is because your liver is coping as well as it can, doing its job.

Obviously this can't go on forever and the liver starts to give up. You will be told to stop drinking, do exercise, all the rest of it.

Good luck!

If its bothering you its time to consider options....for me stopping was the best effective choice and I rarely miss it. 10 years ago I dreaded a day without enough alcohol in the house. My tolerance dropped year by year and in the end there were more negatives than positives, hence my decision to stop.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Paulie Paul said:

I've had the very same experience for some months now, to the very volume of alcohol as you. My tolerance levels got me so worried that i thought something must be wrong. I came back to the UK thinking my time in Thailand is over, anyway went to see the doctor who calmed me of the situation but still sent me for all the tests, blood test, liver function test and a kidney test, waited about a week and all was ok, for which I was shocked. Anywaygot talking to the doctor for which she explained, it's an age thing,but what was surprising is i have an underactive thyroid and many people who have this tend to have an intolerance to alcohol, so my advice my friend is have that checked, have a drink, thing of the good times you had with your friends, and can still have by the way ,and smile at the money you'll save. 

I've been back in UK for 2 months now and had 2 sets of blood tests. There appears to be nothing wrong with my liver but one of the test components  (urase or something? )

apparently indicated that I was dealing with an illness of some sort and this indicator had dropped from 700 to 500 between the 2 tests and I'm feeling better. 

I've cut right down on drinking and now have 5 or 6 pints a week, usually in one go. I have a slightly thick head in the morning but that goes away within an hour or so.

I've had a struggling thyroid for some time now but the doctor tells me it is still performing its function fully. It just requires more of a kick from the pituitary in the form of higher levels of Thyroid Stimulating Hormone  (TSH). This is being monitored a couple of times a year.

I've come to the conclusion that I've had some kind of bug which has cleared up and now its just age catching up that I need to deal with.

I will reduce my consumption a little further or spread it over a couple of sessions and enjoy life without making myself feel unwell. 

On 6/27/2018 at 11:40 PM, paulsingle said:

Thanks for these responses. Reading the articles inevitably raises anxiety which is probably a good thing in my case.

I'm not talking any regular medication. I eat a healthy diet and get some exercise but I'll curtail my alcohol consumption and get a test done.

I've spent just over 4 months in Khon Kaen and I'm heading home to UK in a week's time so I'll arrange to get tested then.

I need to learn to go out and be sociable with non-alcoholic drinks. I think that will get easier once I start to realise I don't have to write days off for hangover recovery. 

?

My tolerance to alcohol fell after I reached 71. My blood tests are normal  but I reduced my intake to accommodate the change and now have 3 or 4 alcohol free days  a week. I still have a drink the other days and feel fine. It's all about getting used to being old.

5 hours ago, soalbundy said:

I find that the older I get the less I want to drink, at 70 now I drink maybe 2 pints a month but I no longer like the taste (Thai beer is sh1t beer anyway) In Germany I would drink 3 or 4 pints a night with no ill effects but that was good beer, 14 years ago. Since I have been in Thailand I just don't want to drink.

I could of written thay myself soalbundy , in England about 14 years ago I would enjoy 4 pints in the hour before closing of Hick's Special Draft ( only available in Cornwall ) a joy to drink , here bottled lager and all revolting . Now it is a Sangsom and coke or a tot of spirit , at 71 I know what brew is no good for me and Thai beer makes me sweat in the night , but once a week Sangsom amd coke has no ill effect.

Good health sir .

On 6/27/2018 at 8:40 PM, paulsingle said:

Thanks for these responses. Reading the articles inevitably raises anxiety which is probably a good thing in my case.

I'm not talking any regular medication. I eat a healthy diet and get some exercise but I'll curtail my alcohol consumption and get a test done.

I've spent just over 4 months in Khon Kaen and I'm heading home to UK in a week's time so I'll arrange to get tested then.

I need to learn to go out and be sociable with non-alcoholic drinks. I think that will get easier once I start to realise I don't have to write days off for hangover recovery. 

Good advice give already about getting a check up/blood tests. The socializing aspect is a little daunting at first. but definitely doable - practice makes perfect lol. Problem is being around other drunks can be boring as hell (unless they're female?) when you're not drunk.You never know amigo, could be all a blessing in disguise opening up a whole new life for you. Choke Dee

4 hours ago, thecyclist said:

I am 60 years old and the exact opposite is happening, I can drink more and more without getting drunk   and without hangovers. Maybe it's because you are binge-drinking on weekends instead of drinking approximately the same amount every day. 

I remember a doctor friend telling me that people with your tolerance for alcohol need to be particularly careful since they are not receiving the body's warnings.

On 7/1/2018 at 11:37 AM, rott said:

Many of the over 60s that I know (self included) are the same, though I do not know any who could regularly do 8 x 620 ml in one session. And most of us are more over 60 than yourself. I think mainly an age thing.

The mention of blood tests interests me, I have an annual blood test and both the liver and kidney results fall well within the parameters. I have seen online replies saying that even double the recommended max is not really a problem. Anyone disagree.?

And my "safe" readings, do they automatically mean there is no problem at all?

Had a friend was drinking 10 beers a day after work. Retired early, and then started drinking non stop, 18 plus beers a day . Died Aug 6th 2018 from possible alcohol poisoning and heart attack, only 56 years old.  Amy Winehouse and other celebrities have died from it and Ben Affleck is in rehab. If you can't control it stop.

Alcoholic Fatty Liver is a condition caused by continually drinking alcohol. The liver is the only organ that can regenerate itself but you need to stop drinking for 2 to 3 weeks so it can fully recover. People who have 3 to 4 days alcohol-free a week are healthier than people who drink every day. Cirrhosis of the Liver is scarring on the liver which it cannot repair and is a terminal illness. Having a fatty liver does not mean you will get Cirrhosis but it is a precursor.

59 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Had a friend was drinking 10 beers a day after work. Retired early, and then started drinking non stop, 18 plus beers a day . Died Aug 6th 2018 from possible alcohol poisoning and heart attack, only 56 years old.  Amy Winehouse and other celebrities have died from it and Ben Affleck is in rehab. If you can't control it stop.

Do not quite see the relevance but 18 beers every day whether it is a 320 ml Thai bottle or a 570 ml UK pint will see you off sooner rather than later. Anyone drinking at that rate must recognise that they have a problem that will catch up with them soon enough. Seen top many people die at that age and sooner. Nobody to blame but themselves.

17 minutes ago, JGV said:

Alcohol is a poison Quit or die prematurely I quit after drinking for 40 years my side pain disapeared in 2 months and a later test showed I was fine

What was causing the pain? And how much were you drinking at the time. Congratulations on your return to health, hope you don't mind me being nosy.

@paulsingle ? Alcohol is not some kind of fruit juice, it must be maintained as age gets older. when we were young we could drink a liter of whiskey, nowadays third liter is enough.  As mentioned blood test must be checked annually, (a dollar in prevention is much better than a thousand in medicine.

Resist what you love and tolerate what you don't like.

On 7/1/2018 at 5:37 AM, rott said:

Many of the over 60s that I know (self included) are the same, though I do not know any who could regularly do 8 x 620 ml in one session. And most of us are more over 60 than yourself. I think mainly an age thing.

The mention of blood tests interests me, I have an annual blood test and both the liver and kidney results fall well within the parameters. I have seen online replies saying that even double the recommended max is not really a problem. Anyone disagree.?

And my "safe" readings, do they automatically mean there is no problem at all?

I do an over 60 comprehensive physical once a year (I know, over the top) and full blood screening, including pst every six months.............color me paranoid, but I have seen a very slight decline in the averages over the past five years............if something is gong on internally, a good "map" of what is declining can provide a better analysis............I do this in Bumrungrad...........Okay c'mon all the Bangkok ........ Tai Military........  .........University..........  is much cheaper crowd  - I don't care, I get good service in Bumrungrad.............you get what you pay for.

2 hours ago, Jaggg88 said:

Alcoholic Fatty Liver is a condition caused by continually drinking alcohol. The liver is the only organ that can regenerate itself but you need to stop drinking for 2 to 3 weeks so it can fully recover. People who have 3 to 4 days alcohol-free a week are healthier than people who drink every day. Cirrhosis of the Liver is scarring on the liver which it cannot repair and is a terminal illness. Having a fatty liver does not mean you will get Cirrhosis but it is a precursor.

I have been diagnosed with Fatty Liver for the past 50 years, (I am 68+) whether I was drinking or not.........its not only caused by drinking excessively...........Dr said  "You have a Fatty Liver"  I say "Okay what can I do about it"  Dr Says  "Stop drinking alcohol"  I say "I haven"t drank alcohol in fie years"  in that case he says,  "Carry On"   here is no absolute cure for a "Fatty Liver"  it just is sometimes.........my liver function tests are always aces, it's the ultrasound that diagnoses the "Fatty Liver"

On 6/27/2018 at 2:40 PM, paulsingle said:

Its perfecty normal. Its a normal part of the aging process.

10 hours ago, wgdanson said:

You cannot get two more different drinks....Hoegaarden is natural as you say, Sangsom & Coke are just chemicals and sugar.

I know but it works for me, sangsom coke doesn't give me a headache....but johnny walker with ice and water does....don't ask me why.

SAME BUT DIFFERENT.   At 65, I've noticed how I get TIRED --- just seems to zap my energy level a bit.  I work all day, and then have a beer or two, and honestly --- I'm just tired and want to relax.   Noticed this for the last few years. 

Do Blood Tests every 6 months.  I'm a "moderate" drinker, but lately it just seems to accelerate my desire to rest and take a nap.  Plus, it's old age. I know.

Best to you.

10 hours ago, jayboy said:

I remember a doctor friend telling me that people with your tolerance for alcohol need to be particularly careful since they are not receiving the body's warnings.

"... are not receiving recognising the body's warnings."  Or do not want to.  :thumbsup:

37 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Must be bad ice or water !

It's not the water....

Also Heineken beer i can't stand it cause it can give me a hangover for 2 days...and that's in Holland as well where the water is very good.

Belgium/German natural beers never did that....

2 minutes ago, Thian said:

It's not the water....

Also Heineken beer i can't stand it cause it can give me a hangover for 2 days...and that's in Holland as well where the water is very good.

Belgium/German natural beers never did that....

It was meant as a JOKE !

49 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

"... are not receiving recognising the body's warnings."  Or do not want to.  :thumbsup:

I think it's a question of not receiving if you don't suffer from hangovers.As I understand it, liver disease particularly cirrhosis caused by excessive alcohol (the liver being an amazingly resilient organ) is often symptomless until it's often too late to deal with - other than with drastic options.Having said tha,t there's a genetic aspect involved which makes some people less susceptible to hangovers than others.There may also I suppose be a genetic factor also involved in how the liver deals with heavy drinking - just speculation on my part.I guess the sensible approach to those of us worried about our drinking is to have regular check ups.Some when seeking medical advice will be prompted by symptoms and some of us won't.

Archived