Reduced tolerance to alcohol

paulsingle

10 hours ago, Jaggg88 said:

Alcoholic Fatty Liver is a condition caused by continually drinking alcohol. The liver is the only organ that can regenerate itself but you need to stop drinking for 2 to 3 weeks so it can fully recover. People who have 3 to 4 days alcohol-free a week are healthier than people who drink every day. Cirrhosis of the Liver is scarring on the liver which it cannot repair and is a terminal illness. Having a fatty liver does not mean you will get Cirrhosis but it is a precursor.

I used to live in Munich. I went to the docs for an alcohol unrelated check up. the doc used ultra sound to check internal organs and mentioned casually that I had a fatty liver, I was rather shocked as I have a slim figure and keep fit and my beer consumption wasn't OT. What should I do I asked, give up beer perhaps, he just chuckled, ''everybody in Bavaria has a fatty liver'', it isn't just alcohol but also has a lot to do with diet as well.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jayboy said:

I think it's a question of not receiving if you don't suffer from hangovers.As I understand it, liver disease particularly cirrhosis caused by excessive alcohol (the liver being an amazingly resilient organ) is often symptomless until it's often too late to deal with - other than with drastic options.Having said tha,t there's a genetic aspect involved which makes some people less susceptible to hangovers than others.There may also I suppose be a genetic factor also involved in how the liver deals with heavy drinking - just speculation on my part.I guess the sensible approach to those of us worried about our drinking is to have regular check ups.Some when seeking medical advice will be prompted by symptoms and some of us won't.

I understand what you're saying. I tend to take a pro-active approach to my health (regular fasting full blood tests) rather than being re-active (after something goes wrong). I just feel that once into your 70's (or earlier for some) regular health check ups should be a top priority. But, that's just my way - guess it is not for everyone.

Some may say "Grow old gracefully" - I choose to fight it all the way. :thumbsup:

I had untreated Hep B for many years. My liver is not in good shape but I am able to drink endlessly. I don’t think a damaged liver restricts your drinking. I stopped drinking for 6 months after going onto anti virals. My liver function did not improve at all. I started drinking again and six months later my liver had improved dramatically except for the platelate count. I drink up to 12 stubbies a day, every day. I know I am drinking myself to death. My chance of liver cancer is 40% whether I drink or not. So I keep drinking, I am nearly 67. 

1 hour ago, Headphone Jack said:

I had untreated Hep B for many years. My liver is not in good shape but I am able to drink endlessly. I don’t think a damaged liver restricts your drinking. I stopped drinking for 6 months after going onto anti virals. My liver function did not improve at all. I started drinking again and six months later my liver had improved dramatically except for the platelate count. I drink up to 12 stubbies a day, every day. I know I am drinking myself to death. My chance of liver cancer is 40% whether I drink or not. So I keep drinking, I am nearly 67. 

Each to their own.

But not for me though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2018 at 12:39 PM, Jason1122 said:

When you break down the advantages you get from drinking liquor, it's constantly advantageous distinguishing different exercises that assistance you accomplish similar advantages however don't include drinking liquor, this enables you to substitute an undesirable action with a more advantageous option...

http://foundationhorseman.com.au/

On 9/16/2018 at 10:20 PM, Jaggg88 said:

Alcoholic Fatty Liver is a condition caused by continually drinking alcohol. The liver is the only organ that can regenerate itself but you need to stop drinking for 2 to 3 weeks so it can fully recover. People who have 3 to 4 days alcohol-free a week are healthier than people who drink every day. Cirrhosis of the Liver is scarring on the liver which it cannot repair and is a terminal illness. Having a fatty liver does not mean you will get Cirrhosis but it is a precursor.

So is it possible to have a.fatty liver or scarred liver and still have SGOT, SGPT and Alk.phos blood tests showing normal?

22 hours ago, rott said:

So is it possible to have a.fatty liver or scarred liver and still have SGOT, SGPT and Alk.phos blood tests showing normal?

Unfortunately, a fatty liver and even a scarred liver can often give normal or only slightly raised GOT (AST) GPT(ALT) levels and people with Hepatitis C often give persistent normal serum ALT levels. However, usually these levels are raised when tested and a further test after three weeks abstinence from alcohol will reveal whether further investigation is required. Only an ultrasound or CAT scan can diagnose a fatty liver and a biopsy is required for accurate Cirrhosis diagnosis. Many over the counter and prescription drugs put our Liver and Kidneys under stress so try and be aware that as we age our old organs are not so strong as they used to be.

44 minutes ago, Jaggg88 said:

Unfortunately, a fatty liver and even a scarred liver can often give normal or only slightly raised GOT (AST) GPT(ALT) levels and people with Hepatitis C often give persistent normal serum ALT levels. However, usually these levels are raised when tested and a further test after three weeks abstinence from alcohol will reveal whether further investigation is required. Only an ultrasound or CAT scan can diagnose a fatty liver and a biopsy is required for accurate Cirrhosis diagnosis. Many over the counter and prescription drugs put our Liver and Kidneys under stress so try and be aware that as we age our old organs are not so strong as they used to be.

Many thanks for that jagg88. I was always surprised that my readings were so normal, So basically they dont mean too much, ah well.

On further consideration jagg, I note that you say "often gives normal or only slightly elevated readings". How often is often? 10%, 20%, 40% of the time? And what would be a definition of "slightly elevated", I am curious about this because I have seen on a forum a doctor saying that double the maximum figure is not necessarily a problem.

I suppose like many things it is not a simple slide-rule procedure.

Archived