American teacher kicked out of Thailand to face child rape charges in the US

webfact

American teacher kicked out of Thailand to face child rape charges in the US

gd.jpg

Picture by: GREG DERR/THE PATRIOT LEDGER

A former teacher at an elite school in Massachusetts has been returned to the United States from Thailand to face child rape charges.

Reynold Buono, 72, a former drama teacher at Milton Academy fled the United States more than twenty years ago after acknowledging he molested a freshman student in 1982.

According to the Boston Globe, after a night of drinking with a close friend, Buono confessed to molesting the student. The friend then confronted Buono who later fled to Southeast Asia where he had remained ever since.

Most recently he was living in Thailand and was arrested by the Royal Thai Police on the instruction of the authorities in the United States.

Now back in the United States, Buono will stand trial on three counts of child rape and three counts of rape of a child with force.

“We owe our partners in federal law enforcement – and in Thailand – substantial thanks for their diligence and perseverance,” Norfolk District Attorney Michael Morrissey said in a statement.

“This has been a very involved process and we are relieved to have these charges now ready to be brought forward for arraignment in the Norfolk Superior Court.”

Investigators say that Buono could have abused up to 18 boys during his time at the Milton Academy.

It was not revealed if Buono had been working as a teacher while in Thailand.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-06-28

8 minutes ago, webfact said:

Now back in the United States, Buono will stand trial on three counts of child rape and three counts of rape of a child with force.

He clearly has been on the run for far to long, but if justice is now serviced then he will spend the remainder of his days locked up.  

I hope this will serve as a lesson for all the pervs out there. This apparently happened 36 years ago, but the long arm of the law does not forget. Fiddle with kids and you will end up paying the price. Good work by the cops all round.

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I hope this will serve as a lesson for all the pervs out there. This apparently happened 36 years ago, but the long arm of the law does not forget. Fiddle with kids and you will end up paying the price. Good work by the cops all round.

I was actually feeling sorry for this guy because it was so long ago. 

But you brought me to my senses and  in fact you are correct. Time is irrelevant. 

Money doesn’t necessarily guarantee the educators who are hired are the best. The exclusive Milton Academy has a long list of big name students - three Kennedys, Buckminster Fuller, T. S. Eliot, James Taylor, and on. Difficult to believe he quit cold turkey after arriving here. Hope they do some checking on his movements here. 

This insanity keeps happening. I am beginning to be ashamed of where I have retired. Many of the people I know in the USA always throw these sad cases at me when they learn where I am living. Cases like this are going to destroy the reputation of Americans in Thailand. I don't hear about this kind of thing being common in Central and South America where there are also a lot of retirees from the USA. ?

1 minute ago, KhunFred said:

This insanity keeps happening. I am beginning to be ashamed of where I have retired. Many of the people I know in the USA always throw these sad cases at me when they learn where I am living. Cases like this are going to destroy the reputation of Americans in Thailand. I don't hear about this kind of thing being common in Central and South America where there are also a lot of retirees from the USA. ?

You should read better, this guy did his deeds in your country and then fled.. but the Thais helped to track him down and kick him out of Thailand. So next time they give you grief you show this article to them.

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

You should read better, this guy did his deeds in your country and then fled.. but the Thais helped to track him down and kick him out of Thailand. So next time they give you grief you show this article to them.

So he didn't come to LOS for easy kid access...???

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Thanks for clarifying but the point remains. Where did this guy head to when he was fleeing charges?? I'm certainly glad that he didn't molest anyone here (that we know of) but I spend a good bit of time defending my choice of retirement destination. I had no idea that Thailand was so infamous for pedos and ladyboys.

Just now, KhunFred said:

Thanks for clarifying but the point remains. Where did this guy head to when he was fleeing charges?? I'm certainly glad that he didn't molest anyone here (that we know of) but I spend a good bit of time defending my choice of retirement destination. I had no idea that Thailand was so infamous for pedos and ladyboys.

I don't really care what people say about Thailand in reference to pedo's its not as out in the open as people think. It certainly is something that lands you in jail and is frowned upon. So its not like this is a haven for pedos. You mentioned South America, what I heard it happens there too.. it happens anywhere where the law is corrupt and there is a big income gap.

3 minutes ago, transam said:

No proof of him doing anything in LOS, he came here to escape. If you want to assume he did stuff here that is up to you but there does not seem to be any proof of that. Trans, I know your no pedo and neither am I but have you ever come across bars with underage or seen it for sale out in the open. I never have (I was not looking of course but we are talking about out in the open and I been around). I am not talking about 16 or 17 year old I am talking a lot younger. 

I know its not unheard of to find 17 years old up north in karaoke joints but that is about it I havent heard anything about young kids for sale here. Its not as bad here as its made out to be. There are pedo's everywhere and they seem to find access to kids anywhere. I see news articles in the UK and US and Netherlands about this so its not like it only happens here. You think it does because you read the Thai newspapers and they report it.

22 minutes ago, robblok said:

No proof of him doing anything in LOS, he came here to escape. If you want to assume he did stuff here that is up to you but there does not seem to be any proof of that. Trans, I know your no pedo and neither am I but have you ever come across bars with underage or seen it for sale out in the open. I never have (I was not looking of course but we are talking about out in the open and I been around). I am not talking about 16 or 17 year old I am talking a lot younger. 

I know its not unheard of to find 17 years old up north in karaoke joints but that is about it I havent heard anything about young kids for sale here. Its not as bad here as its made out to be. There are pedo's everywhere and they seem to find access to kids anywhere. I see news articles in the UK and US and Netherlands about this so its not like it only happens here. You think it does because you read the Thai newspapers and they report it.

I could answer that but I won't.....If you get my drift..

52 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

If you were living in Central and South America, I'd imagine you'd hear more about this sort of stuff. 

5 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

If you were living in Central and South America, I'd imagine you'd hear more about this sort of stuff. 

It might be hard to really know about that.

There is an emphasis in the U.S. on issues in the "fleshpots of Asia" when there are plenty of other regions with fleshpots.

Also the cooperation between the U.S. government and Thailand is strong on such matters, and of course add to that active NGOs here.

I think relations with some Latin American governments just not as good.

Another factor, Thailand has a relatively easy long term visa situation than most nations in Latin America, so that would be another factor attracting such criminals along with everyone else. 

1 hour ago, KhunFred said:

Well Rob, it is like this.

There is an offer.

There will be takers.

Money speaks.

23 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It might be hard to really know about that.

There is an emphasis in the U.S. on issues in the "fleshpots of Asia" when there are plenty of other regions with fleshpots.

Also the cooperation between the U.S. government and Thailand is strong on such matters, and of course add to that active NGOs here.

I think relations with some Latin American governments just not as good.

Another factor, Thailand has a relatively easy long term visa situation than most nations in Latin America, so that would be another factor attracting such criminals along with everyone else. 

The US authorities just should look better in their own "playground".

1 hour ago, transam said:

..and off we go again

They go all over the developing world man.

Massive paedophile rings are operating in europe and america almost with impunity. They make millions with their sordid crimes. 

Cambodia, sri lanka, south america.

Why do you need to single out thailand.

Do a bit of research before condemning.

If you are ashamed by all means return to a country whose leader orders his officials to separate poor refugee families.

That should make you proud.

2 hours ago, robblok said:

So its not like this is a haven for pedos. 

OMG. Seriously....

Sorry my friend almost 25,000 posts....  You know this place I am guessing??

It is estimated that 5,000 foreign pedophiles come here each year. I bet it is much greater.

Of course, they are not going to tell you to your face they molest children.

But, it is a big big problem here as it is in many poorish countries.... 

2 hours ago, KhunFred said:

I would not spend a minute defending your choice of country for retirement- the USA comes close to the top in child sexual abuse- the stats are horrendous. Many of the web sites I’m afraid come from the States . Ignore it.

Thailand has this sensational exotic reputation- the cheap tabloids exploit this. A foreigner arrested here sometimes gets worldwide press - it may have  skewed your friends outlook on this country.

Bit mystified by your comment on the infamous ladyboys - they have been part of Thai society for many years- for example there are quite a few as cashiers at my local Tesco - nobody turns a hair or cares. 

2 hours ago, KhunFred said:

Not to be funny but I spend time defending the USA when I go out in Bangkok.  Maybe we need new friends. Take care. 

The original post states he fled to South East Asia. Most recently he has been staying in Thailand. So obviously he’s been hiding out in a few different places over the last 20 + years. 

Question is how did he fund himself during this time? How did he move about freely, fake passport, name.

Anyway a big thank you to the Thai police for assisting in catching this piece of dog excrement and returning him to face justice. I just hope he didn’t manage to abuse anyone else over the last 20+ years but probably that’s wishing too much. Hope he gets a long prison sentence. 

Archived