American teacher kicked out of Thailand to face child rape charges in the US

webfact

American teacher kicked out of Thailand to face child rape charges in the US

gd.jpg

Picture by: GREG DERR/THE PATRIOT LEDGER

A former teacher at an elite school in Massachusetts has been returned to the United States from Thailand to face child rape charges.

Reynold Buono, 72, a former drama teacher at Milton Academy fled the United States more than twenty years ago after acknowledging he molested a freshman student in 1982.

According to the Boston Globe, after a night of drinking with a close friend, Buono confessed to molesting the student. The friend then confronted Buono who later fled to Southeast Asia where he had remained ever since.

Most recently he was living in Thailand and was arrested by the Royal Thai Police on the instruction of the authorities in the United States.

Now back in the United States, Buono will stand trial on three counts of child rape and three counts of rape of a child with force.

“We owe our partners in federal law enforcement – and in Thailand – substantial thanks for their diligence and perseverance,” Norfolk District Attorney Michael Morrissey said in a statement.

“This has been a very involved process and we are relieved to have these charges now ready to be brought forward for arraignment in the Norfolk Superior Court.”

Investigators say that Buono could have abused up to 18 boys during his time at the Milton Academy.

It was not revealed if Buono had been working as a teacher while in Thailand.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-06-28
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, webfact said:

Now back in the United States, Buono will stand trial on three counts of child rape and three counts of rape of a child with force.

He clearly has been on the run for far to long, but if justice is now serviced then he will spend the remainder of his days locked up.  

I hope this will serve as a lesson for all the pervs out there. This apparently happened 36 years ago, but the long arm of the law does not forget. Fiddle with kids and you will end up paying the price. Good work by the cops all round.

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I hope this will serve as a lesson for all the pervs out there. This apparently happened 36 years ago, but the long arm of the law does not forget. Fiddle with kids and you will end up paying the price. Good work by the cops all round.

I was actually feeling sorry for this guy because it was so long ago. 

But you brought me to my senses and  in fact you are correct. Time is irrelevant. 

Money doesn’t necessarily guarantee the educators who are hired are the best. The exclusive Milton Academy has a long list of big name students - three Kennedys, Buckminster Fuller, T. S. Eliot, James Taylor, and on. Difficult to believe he quit cold turkey after arriving here. Hope they do some checking on his movements here. 

This insanity keeps happening. I am beginning to be ashamed of where I have retired. Many of the people I know in the USA always throw these sad cases at me when they learn where I am living. Cases like this are going to destroy the reputation of Americans in Thailand. I don't hear about this kind of thing being common in Central and South America where there are also a lot of retirees from the USA. ?

1 minute ago, KhunFred said:

This insanity keeps happening. I am beginning to be ashamed of where I have retired. Many of the people I know in the USA always throw these sad cases at me when they learn where I am living. Cases like this are going to destroy the reputation of Americans in Thailand. I don't hear about this kind of thing being common in Central and South America where there are also a lot of retirees from the USA. ?

You should read better, this guy did his deeds in your country and then fled.. but the Thais helped to track him down and kick him out of Thailand. So next time they give you grief you show this article to them.

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

You should read better, this guy did his deeds in your country and then fled.. but the Thais helped to track him down and kick him out of Thailand. So next time they give you grief you show this article to them.

So he didn't come to LOS for easy kid access...???

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Thanks for clarifying but the point remains. Where did this guy head to when he was fleeing charges?? I'm certainly glad that he didn't molest anyone here (that we know of) but I spend a good bit of time defending my choice of retirement destination. I had no idea that Thailand was so infamous for pedos and ladyboys.

Just now, KhunFred said:

Thanks for clarifying but the point remains. Where did this guy head to when he was fleeing charges?? I'm certainly glad that he didn't molest anyone here (that we know of) but I spend a good bit of time defending my choice of retirement destination. I had no idea that Thailand was so infamous for pedos and ladyboys.

I don't really care what people say about Thailand in reference to pedo's its not as out in the open as people think. It certainly is something that lands you in jail and is frowned upon. So its not like this is a haven for pedos. You mentioned South America, what I heard it happens there too.. it happens anywhere where the law is corrupt and there is a big income gap.

Archived