Plant Based Nutrition and Fasting

Kohsamida

You don't have to restrict whole food carbs in order to lose weight.  Aside from doing a half hour of aerobics most days, I don't do much else for exercise, except any walking I do.  Down from a 36 pant size to 34.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Book Talk:

I have just ordered How Not to Die : Discover the Foods Scientifically Proven to Prevent and Reverse Disease by Gregor. and dr Bersteins Doabetes solution note - he is a low carb advocate and he has Type 1Interestingly he was an engineer before becoming a doctor and has a very logical step by step approach.

3 hours ago, TravelerEastWest said:

Book Talk:

I have just ordered How Not to Die : Discover the Foods Scientifically Proven to Prevent and Reverse Disease by Gregor. and dr Bersteins Doabetes solution note - he is a low carb advocate and he has Type 1Interestingly he was an engineer before becoming a doctor and has a very logical step by step approach.

Good choice!  Gregor is a such a smart man, no agenda, backs up everything he says with sound, unbiased science.  Easy read but incredibly informative.  One of the best books I ever bought!  

And, his regularly posted YouTube videos are excellent too.  Always something new to learn from them!  

If you could only trust one person for the truth about health and nutrition, he’d be the one.

10 hours ago, TravelerEastWest said:

Taggart

Congratulations and I bet you feel great!

Late 60's here, and considering an MD told me over fifteen years ago that if I continued whatever lifestyle I was doing at the time that I would eventually need a pacemaker.  Well it's been very slow and steady improved progress since then without being perfect but so far, no pacemaker.

Instead of concentrating on carbs, I've found it far better to focus on eating mostly foods that are low to moderate in calorie density.  If I start forgetting calorie density, it becomes a slippery slope and I have to pick myself up and return to that again.

Best of luck for whatever lifestyle direction you choose.

10 hours ago, Kohsamida said:

Good choice!  Gregor is a such a smart man, no agenda, backs up everything he says with sound, unbiased science.  Easy read but incredibly informative.  One of the best books I ever bought!  

And, his regularly posted YouTube videos are excellent too.  Always something new to learn from them!  

If you could only trust one person for the truth about health and nutrition, he’d be the one.

He has a website that is free and publishes the transcript and reference notes for each video.  The site is

https://nutritionfacts.org

On 7/22/2018 at 8:15 AM, Kohsamida said:

That's what makes this carb vs fat debate so difficult.  I've heard just as many stories of people solving metabolic issues by carb reduction as I have from fat reduction, and the leading researchers for both sides are hardly stupid people or people with agendas, so it's all quite confusing for me to be honest. 

It is very obvious there is a lot that is not yet known.   It does appear that many people get good results from totally different programs which are in conflict with each other.  To me this means there is some hidden data or confounding variable that really hasn't been discovered and acknowledged yet.  We are just starting to get data on gut health and we can now see how inadequate the old calorie model was to help us with nutrition health or weight loss.  It was way to simple and didn't include all sorts of metabolic variables we are now aware of that effect weight and fat accumulation and general health.  The times ahead will be interesting and we fill in more of  the knowledge gaps.

52 minutes ago, dontoearth said:

It is very obvious there is a lot that is not yet known.   It does appear that many people get good results from totally different programs which are in conflict with each other.  To me this means there is some hidden data or confounding variable that really hasn't been discovered and acknowledged yet.  We are just starting to get data on gut health and we can now see how inadequate the old calorie model was to help us with nutrition health or weight loss.  It was way to simple and didn't include all sorts of metabolic variables we are now aware of that effect weight and fat accumulation and general health.  The times ahead will be interesting and we fill in more of  the knowledge gaps.

It's all a big mystery to me, to be honest.  I think the answers will be known in the not to distant future.  Until then, I guess the best thing is just to try and be informed through trusted unbiased sources (i.e.: Gregor), and then make your own personal decisions since what might be right for one person, might not be for another.

Just taking an interest in your own health and seeking the truth instead of just accepting the status quo puts a person 99% ahead of most people.

6 minutes ago, Kohsamida said:

It's all a big mystery to me, to be honest.  I think the answers will be known in the not to distant future.  Until then, I guess the best thing is just to try and be informed through trusted unbiased sources (i.e.: Gregor), and then make your own personal decisions since what might be right for one person, might not be for another.

Just taking an interest in your own health and seeking the truth instead of just accepting the status quo puts a person 99% ahead of most people.

I used to enjoy Gregor's videos and I bought and read How Not To Die; but like all of the people pushing a nutrition agenda, I understand he is selective about what uses from published literature.  As you say, it is a mystery, which is why there are so many different approaches apparently being fully justified as being the answer!

1 minute ago, FracturedRabbit said:

I used to enjoy Gregor's videos and I bought and read How Not To Die; but like all of the people pushing a nutrition agenda, I understand he is selective about what uses from published literature.  As you say, it is a mystery, which is why there are so many different approaches apparently being fully justified as being the answer!

I guess everyone is pushing some sort of agenda when you get right down to it but at least Gregor's agenda isn't driven for monetary reasons but by what he actually believes.  Personally, I think "How Not To Die" is one of the best books I've ever read about health and nutrition.  But, who knows...in the not-too distant future when the answers are known, I guess a lot of people, including Gregor perhaps, may be proven wrong.  

13 hours ago, Kohsamida said:

I followed your advice some time ago and bought the book too. How not to die by Dr. Greger.  

FInished maybe 40% of the book , it's a lot of chapters to go through.   

Didn't know that beans are so important substitute for red meat so for anyone thinking about going vegan like me , you'll learn a lot about the different food choices.  

26 minutes ago, balo said:

I followed your advice some time ago and bought the book too. How not to die by Dr. Greger.  

FInished maybe 40% of the book , it's a lot of chapters to go through.   

Didn't know that beans are so important substitute for red meat so for anyone thinking about going vegan like me , you'll learn a lot about the different food choices.  

It's a great book that doesn't have to be read all at once.  I like how he makes each chapter deal with one specific issue.  Glad you're getting something from it.

There was a study done in Israel by the Weizmann Institute of Science in 2015 where the researchers found that various foods affected the blood glucose levels in individuals in different ways.  Some people who were given bread for example had almost no change in blood glucose levels while others had very high responses.  Same for other foods tested.

6 hours ago, Taggart said:

There was a study done in Israel by the Weizmann Institute of Science in 2015 where the researchers found that various foods affected the blood glucose levels in individuals in different ways.  Some people who were given bread for example had almost no change in blood glucose levels while others had very high responses.  Same for other foods tested.

I know that study; their findings are very compelling.  They have a website intended for the lay public, and designed to help you fine tune your own diet.   Everyone should take a look at it; you'll be surprised what you read.  It's at http://newsite.personalnutrition.org/WebSite/Home.aspx

On 7/23/2018 at 11:40 AM, partington said:

If you are not on a carbohydrate restricted diet then the brain uses glucose!

On 7/23/2018 at 11:54 AM, Kohsamida said:

But if you don't restrict carbs or create a glycogen deficit through physical activity, you can not loose body fat.  

That's what I said. Repeating:  there's no obligatory need for ketosis to lose fat by burning it,  just move around vigorously, or eat fewer calories or both:

On 7/23/2018 at 2:00 AM, partington said:

This cycle can produce energy from complete oxidation of fatty acids to CO2 and water indefinitely without significant ketosis under normal conditions, and causes depletion of body fat stores in proportion to amount of energy used for exercise.

Archived