What is the average price per rai for chanote land used for rice farming?

JustAnotherFarang

On 6/30/2018 at 12:21 PM, Wake Up said:

was unless you know thai language and culture well and land dealings in that area you have no clue what the land is worth if anything.

if the land has a chanot you can have a rough idea of the value by checking it at the local land department.it won't be the actual market price because their official valuation gets updated only once every five years and it doesn't take into consideration what's on the land such as if tree plantation/electricity/water. In most cases that valuation is lower than the actual market price

On 6/29/2018 at 3:52 PM, ubonjoe said:

The province is more than likely Khon Kaen. I would guess that Sala Khem is sub district or a village name.

Maha Sala Kham  is a small province about 45 minutes from Khon Kaen.   120 K per rai is not expensive

BUT .....there are many factors that determine price which cannot be known unless one knows some things.

as mentioned:  electricity and public water is important.  ALSO  how far from main road,  shape of land,

irrigation (if going to be used for planting),  type of neighbors,  pig farm nearby ?    etc etc etc

anyway, general price for rice land 120k not bad.   Ten km from Chiangmai it sells for about a million a rai,

but that is comparing apples with oranges

On 6/30/2018 at 12:21 PM, Wake Up said:

Great response I 100 percent agree with. I had a GF with rice land close to where you are talking about.  Some years they got one crop.  Never a good money maker.  She thought her land was worth much more than it was. I don’t think she was intentionally lying about the value but what I learned was unless you know thai language and culture well and land dealings in that area you have no clue what the land is worth if anything. And most land bought is seen as an atm card in tough cash times. They get loans on the land all the time because it is easy but not cheap.  Expats pay off their wives or GF land debts so she does not lose it to a creditor and 6 months later she has a new loan on the land. 

I am not saying to not trust your wife or thai people. What I am trying to say is expats will never understand the true value of land with a few exceptions and we cannot prevent the land owner wife or GF from borrowing against the land when one if her many family member calls and needs cash. 

If you do buy it once then be prepared to lose it all or keep buying it over and over for the rest of your life when the wife takes out a land loan and is embarrassed to tell you. Good luck. 

As someone says,  kind of harsh.   haha   but very true in most cases.   You don't learn physics in a few months........and learning the language and how things work here in thailand can take even longer than learning physics.  I bungled for a few years, stumbled for a few more, mumbled for a few more.  Now thais say i Rumak.    but believe me,  i do not Ru mot

The price of land is really down this year.

When people offer to sell us land I get my wife to filter any offers and only bring to me the ones she thinks are good deals.

She’s been offered multiple plots this year, but hasn’t even approached me with any that she’s serious on because she isn’t confident about investing because there is essentially no return on them, difficult to resell, the prices have been trending downwards without a valid reason to rise back up (maybe election could change that tho if Pheu Thai win tho), and there are so many people desperate to sell that if you really want some you can be pretty picky and still get an amazing price. We’ve definitely been offered 120k per rai, and I think some wanted to offer as low as even 80k per rai provided we paid within about 3 days (they, like most, owed money that was past due).

Imo don’t buy rice fields unless you can buy multiple blocks next to each other to gain added value.

Oh and that’s in southern Roiet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I gave my thai gf 100k 5 yrs ago to complete a deal for 5 rai of rice farm in non hon, village 15 min outside of chumpai in khon khen.  this was a 200k deal for the 5 rai. I was just paying the last half as they were getting a little pressure to finalize. I could afford to lose the money if it went south, but on the upper hand i told her that the land had to be transfered to her name.  It took a little time, 6 months or so, but finally got a shinot in her name. how do i know it is her name, you might ask, as most of us dont read thai??  well she has used this to get visas for most of the world. as well as having money in the bank 100k.  no job no income other than me and no sponsers in any countries, only asking for tourist visas.  canada 2.5 yrs first attempt, usa 2 yrs first attempt. 3 shengzen visas for the amount of time requested. england 30 days, we only were staying for 4 days, australia, new zealand. could keep going but you get the idea.

oh sorry forgot, she did say that the land deal was a family to family special deal. wheather or not that means anything.

just my 2 cents

dont know if any of this helps but just relating experiences

• 3 months later...
On 6/30/2018 at 5:24 PM, sirineou said:

I will start a poll on the "general "sub forum.I bet you the overwhelming response will be , Happy content, married expats.

Off Topic,

We are all 'happy content married', until the day we're suddenly single and homeless (or dead).

On 7/1/2018 at 7:50 AM, LukKrueng said:

if the land has a chanot you can have a rough idea of the value by checking it at the local land department.it won't be the actual market price because their official valuation gets updated only once every five years and it doesn't take into consideration what's on the land such as if tree plantation/electricity/water. In most cases that valuation is lower than the actual market price

The value/worth is whatever someone is willing to pay for it. 

23 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Very very little rural land is worth 200,000 baht per rai, no matter where it is located. Even Chanote. Alot of Thai people have bizarre notions of what land is worth. Alot of dreamers out there. Do your research, and do not rely on one opinion, ever.

is that based on your research?? In my area 1 plot was sold for 160k/rai about 4 years ago, another for 150 about a year ago and another for 210 about six month ago....

price of rural land depends on many factors, one of the most importance is location. Other factors are access, what's on the land, water sources, electricity and of course - supply and demand. The plot that was recently sold for 210 was on the market for about 4 years with an asking price of 350.... Anther plot has been on the market for about 18 months with an asking price of 800.... 

As a reference, in March we bought 10 Rai between Korat and Chaiyaphum for 950,000 Baht including a simple but solid 2 bedroom bungalow which needed renovating (needed about 100k spending on it). My farang face didn't make a showing until the deal was done to prevent any last minute price hikes.

That's with road access (our road access is a 70 metre long driveway that's 4-5 lanes wide), electricity and water. The rest of the land is set back from the road between 100 and 200 metres. About 60% of the land was filled in with dirt and 40% was rice field. 

The locals reckon the going rate is 70k a Rai if it's just rice field and not filled in, but we've been trying to buy a bit more either side of ours (pieces with no road access) and been quoted stupid amounts, so actually getting it for that price is a different matter. Could be my farang face but my gf just thinks they don't really want to sell so they're trying their luck with a high price to see if we bite. For example, there is a piece next to our driveway (about 1/2 Rai) and the owner approached us asking 300,000 for it, after we politely turned it down she reckons she sold it for 400,000 to her cousin the following week, although we've never seen him and suspect this is BS to save face after we didn't show any interest. 

So in my opinion it's very easy for locals to quote any price they like (they tend to quote very low prices if they don't have anything to sell to make it seem like you paid too much and they're much smarter and could get a much better deal if they had the money), but actually getting it for that price is a different matter. If they actually have any to sell (or can make commission by putting you in contact with someone who does) then the price is very high. 

If you buy, make sure you lease it back (an official contract) from the owner even if that's your wife.

On 10/23/2018 at 10:23 AM, spidermike007 said:

Very very little rural land is worth 200,000 baht per rai, no matter where it is located. Even Chanote. Alot of Thai people have bizarre notions of what land is worth. Alot of dreamers out there. Do your research, and do not rely on one opinion, ever.

Agreed . 

On 10/23/2018 at 10:23 AM, spidermike007 said:

Absolutely true.  My wife's Aunt sold 16 Rai of farmland in Udon Thani province on Tuesday for  72,000 per Rai.  She bought it 8 years ago for 74,000 per Rai and yes it had Chanote.  She was in need of the cash hence sold it for less than she paid for it.  She has been selling it for the last 8 months.  She would not believe my Wife when she told her in March to lower her price expectations to realistic levels. Her Aunt thought she could easily sell it for 120,000 in February.  Yes you are correct many are dreamers and many also with a Farang who support them are some of the biggest dreamers.

MIL is currently buying 3 rai of rice land, 8kms from Rasi Salai, Srisaket with (dirt) road access, irrigation and electricity for 100K each. It's apparently a good deal purchased from close neighbours and friends.

The purchase is being funded from the recent sale of 4 rai of land with similar services that got her 120k Baht per rai, no friends - just a standard deal for the area. 

On 10/24/2018 at 9:31 PM, Esso49 said:

Agreed . 

Absolutely true.  My wife's Aunt sold 16 Rai of farmland in Udon Thani province on Tuesday for  72,000 per Rai.  She bought it 8 years ago for 74,000 per Rai and yes it had Chanote.  She was in need of the cash hence sold it for less than she paid for it.  She has been selling it for the last 8 months.  She would not believe my Wife when she told her in March to lower her price expectations to realistic levels. Her Aunt thought she could easily sell it for 120,000 in February.  Yes you are correct many are dreamers and many also with a Farang who support them are some of the biggest 

The price depends on many things, road access, water availability, type of land deed, how close to main roads, town etc.  My one girlfriend i bought her 1 rai in korat for 10,000b, her neighboors were desperate so we got a good deal. Last year the land next to my wifes place sold 3 rai for 130,000b per rai.  It all comes down to how much the buyer is ready yo pay.

Archived