Teaching Licence with DUI conviction?

I have been offered a job teaching with a top Thai international school. 

I have been granted my Non-B Immigrant visa (For teachers) by the London embassy despite having a criminal record on police check (minor DUI offence 9 years ago - driving ban + small fine)

The school are still concerned about obtaining my teaching licence on arrival in Thailand given that I have this conviction, presumably pertaining to:

prospective teacher must not ‘possess any of the prohibited characteristics pursuant to section 44 of  the Teachers and Educational Personnel Council Act B.E. 2003

Section 13:

Prohibited characteristics

(3) Having a record of immorality, improper ethics or practice of the profession
(6) Having previously been sentenced to final judgement to imprisonment, except for penalties for offences committed by negligence or misdemeanours
(8) Having other prohibited characteristics as set out in the regulations of the Teachers Council of Thailand 

Section 44:

(1) Having improper behaviour or immorality

(3) Having previously been sentenced to imprisonment in any case, this, in the opinion of the Teacher Council of Thailand, may bring dishonour upon the profession

Do I have anything to worry about or are these 'prohibited characteristics' alluring to serious crimes leading to imprisonment which undermine the teaching profession for example child sex offences?

Thank you

I know someone who also works at an international school with a conviction on his DBS and ACRO police check. He had his Non B rejected by the Thai Embassy initially a few years ago. He had to get it from Laos after he arrived here and it has been ever since. 

The fact you got the Non B already means it should be fine. Also, if the conviction is 'spent' I don't think you actually have to declare it. 

• 2 weeks later...

DUI is not an offence that is seen an issue for the teacher's license. Other offences are. Non B initially needs a police clearance, if the DUI had just a fine whether in Thailand or in any home-country without jail time, usually people can get the Non-B and the provisional teachers license as well. Please let me know how it went for you, i am in the same boat as you.

Regards,

I've just applied for my TL a few days ago and will receive it in about 7 weeks.

You shouldn't be concerned, Khurusapha isn't asking for a criminal background check. Just tick the right boxes,  it's more a formal part of the evaluation form. 

P.S. The TCT wants to see proof that you've been working there for at least 365 days, not one day less. 

From their website:

1. Not younger than 20 years of age
2. Have academic qualifications in one of the following:
    (a) Have a degree in education or its equivalent 
    (b) Have a degree in another field and a teaching license from another country 
    (c) Have a degree in another field and a graduate diploma in teaching profession with 1 year of
         course study 
    (d) Have a degree in another field and have passed other professional certification in accordance
         with the professional standards of the Teachers’ Council of Thailand
3. Have continuing experience in teaching of not less than 1 year
4. Have a Thai work permit 
5. Have evidence showing that an applicant has been permitted to stay in Thailand 
6. Not possess any of the prohibited characteristics pursuant to section 44 of the Teachers and 
    Educational Personnel Council Act B.E. 2003
    • Having improper behavior or immorality
    • Being an incompetent or quasi-incompetent person
    • Having been sentenced to imprisonment in any case, in the opinion of the Teachers Council of Thailand, which may bring dishonor upon the profession.

Note: Professional qualification for the teaching license, please see
    Regulation of the Teachers’ Council of Thailand Regarding Professional Licensure B.E. 2559 (2016)

On 7/16/2018 at 8:52 AM, Christopherabhadra said:

DUI is not an offence that is seen an issue for the teacher's license. Other offences are. Non B initially needs a police clearance, if the DUI had just a fine whether in Thailand or in any home-country without jail time, usually people can get the Non-B and the provisional teachers license as well. Please let me know how it went for you, i am in the same boat as you.

Regards,

You do not need a criminal background check for your provisional teacher's license. 

Archived