Jump to content
BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rooster59

Put your cards on the table, EU makes last Brexit call to Britain

Recommended Posts

Put your cards on the table, EU makes last Brexit call to Britain

By Elizabeth Piper and Alissa de Carbonnel

 

800x800 (1).jpg

British Prime Minister Theresa May takes part in a meeting with Irish Prime Minister Leo Varadkar during an European Union summit in Brussels, Belgium June 28, 2018. REUTERS/Yves Herman/Pool

 

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - The European Union issued Prime Minister Theresa May a final Brexit warning on Friday -- put your cards on the table, offer ways to overcome "huge" differences and prevent Britain from crashing out of the bloc without a deal.

 

On the second day of a summit more focused on migration than Brexit, leaders of the other 27 EU countries were united in stepping up the pressure on May to overcome rifts in her government and move forward with all-but-stalled talks.

 

May, who left the summit after the first day, has been reluctant to spell out detailed Brexit plans because of deep divisions in her Conservative Party over the terms of Britain's biggest foreign policy shift in almost half a century.

 

But she has promised to thrash out an agreement with her top team of ministers at a meeting next week and intends to present a policy document, or white paper, setting out the government's aims for a future partnership after that.

 

With only nine months to go before Britain leaves the EU, it cannot come soon enough for summit chairman Donald Tusk and the bloc's chief negotiator, Michel Barnier.

 

"This is the last call to lay the cards on the table," Tusk told reporters, adding to growing calls for Britain to move quickly to try to secure a deal by October this year.

 

Barnier repeated the warning that "time is short".

 

"Now we are waiting for the UK white paper and I hope it will contain workable and realistic proposals. But let me mention once again that the time is very short," he said.

 

The white paper will set out Britain's vision for its future relationship with the EU, something that has hobbled attempts to settle a divorce agreement especially over pledges on both side to prevent a return to a hard border on the island of Ireland.

 

CARDS

 

The lack of a proposal on how to keep a near-invisible border between the British province of Northern Ireland and EU member Ireland has stalled Brexit talks, increasing frustration among the other leaders.

 

"It is clear that Europe will remain united on the Irish border question," French President Emmanuel Macron told a news conference, adding that London needed to be swift in delivering more clarity on the future relationship it wants with Europe.

 

The summit's conclusions underlined the leaders' concerns "that no substantial progress has yet been achieved on agreeing a backstop solution for Ireland/Northern Ireland" but again held out the possibility of flexibility if "the UK positions were to evolve".

 

After a marathon dinner to try to hammer out a deal on a crisis over migration, Malta's prime minister, Joseph Muscat, summed up the agreement on Brexit with a tweet: "Almost 9 hours to approve MigrationEU conclusions, not even 1 minute to approve Brexit conclusions. EU can still work together."

 

May again said on Friday she was "ready to intensify and accelerate the pace of negotiations", but only after warning EU leaders to consider Europe's safety before cutting Britain adrift from its security architecture.

 

Security is seen by British officials as one of the country's strongest cards to play in the talks, but another of May's pledges -- to leave the jurisdiction of the European Court of Justice -- has made continued cooperation more difficult.

 

Asked whether she was bringing up security to try to deflect attention from a dearth of proposals on future trade, she told reporters: "No, the future security partnership we have with the European Union will be very important."

 

"We currently enjoy a high level of cooperation with member states of the EU in a number of areas on security that are important for our citizens. This is what is at stake and I want to see a strong and deep security partnership continuing with our European Union partners."

 

 
reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-06-30

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

But she has promised to thrash out an agreement with her top team of ministers at a meeting next week and intends to present a policy document, or white paper, setting out the government's aims for a future partnership after that.

She intends to issue a 'white paper' now? Years after the vote? Are you kidding me?

 

Respectfully, a 'white paper' is a valuable document at the beginning of a process; issuing a 'white paper' at this juncture is simply a method of saying that "we do not have a clue what we are doing, and we are flailing around without purpose".

 

I am sure that many will object forcefully, but I would return to a recommendation I made many months ago; Britain, swallow your pride and put off "Brexit" for a generation. As an outsider looking on, it is crystal clear that the UK does not know what it is doing or have a viable plan, that the UK has no internal consensus on the future whatsoever, and that to make a deal on the most significant policy shift in several generations under these conditions is madness.

 

Stop this nonsense before you do further self-harm.

 

If the desire to leave the EU is still prevalent in 15-20 years, by all means choose 'Brexit". To do so now, under these circumstances, is not a wise policy.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Samui Bodoh said:

If the desire to leave the EU is still prevalent in 15-20 years, by all means choose 'Brexit". To do so now, under these circumstances, is not a wise policy.

There's a good chance there won't be an EU in 15-20 months, never mind years.

15 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Theresa May regards British Intelligence capabilities a bit of an ace card, but PM May’s pledge to leave the European Court of Human Rights (absultey nothing to do with the Brexit vote to leave the EU)  has made continued cooperation [with EU nations] more difficult.

 

Why do non brits think they know better than than us?

We wanted fair play, being governed by Germany and France is not fair play. Our fathers fought for our freedom, I'm guessing your fathers helped us too, what would they think now, giving our country away.

The EU is corrupt, Mutty thinks she can do whatever she likes and it doesn't matter if she compromises the rest of europes security. 

We have difficult times ahead, but no-one said it was going to be easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately all the jokers have been played.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, vogie said:

There's a good chance there won't be an EU in 15-20 months, never mind years.

Why do non brits think they know better than than us?

We wanted fair play, being governed by Germany and France is not fair play. Our fathers fought for our freedom, I'm guessing your fathers helped us too, what would they think now, giving our country away.

The EU is corrupt, Mutty thinks she can do whatever she likes and it doesn't matter if she compromises the rest of europes security. 

We have difficult times ahead, but no-one said it was going to be easy.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/patricksmith/nobody-said-it-was-easy?utm_term=.dsWYYEPvn#.nrZbbNmlO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The European Union issued Prime Minister Theresa May a final Brexit warning on Friday -- put your cards on the table, offer ways to overcome "huge" differences and prevent Britain from crashing out of the bloc without a deal.

Only 3 cards needed.

 

The Goodbye card - Goodbye

 

The WTO card - Starts on 29 March 2019

 

The Irish Border card - the UK will not be putting in any border.

 

Trumps anything that the EU think they have.

 

Now grow a pair May and get on with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The EU don't have any cards, they sell more to us than us to them.

 

The Germans will be begging us to still buy their BMW and Benz, not putting tarrifs on them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, vogie said:

There's a good chance there won't be an EU in 15-20 months, never mind years.

Why do non brits think they know better than than us?

We wanted fair play, being governed by Germany and France is not fair play. Our fathers fought for our freedom, I'm guessing your fathers helped us too, what would they think now, giving our country away.

The EU is corrupt, Mutty thinks she can do whatever she likes and it doesn't matter if she compromises the rest of europes security. 

We have difficult times ahead, but no-one said it was going to be easy.

Interesting to know it's only non-Brits who think that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

If the desire to leave the EU is still prevalent in 15-20 years, by all means choose 'Brexit". To do so now, under these circumstances, is not a wise policy.

Great crystal ball you have ??

 

Are you really positive that the EU, in it's current format will be around in 15 - 20 years ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, bartender100 said:

The EU don't have any cards, they sell more to us than us to them.

 

The Germans will be begging us to still buy their BMW and Benz, not putting tarrifs on them

Before the Brexit vote, this was what Brexiters conteneded. They're not saying that so much now. And Germany has given no sign of relenting. And the UK's biggest export by far is services. That's most likley going to take a huge hit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Renegade said:

Great crystal ball you have ??

 

Are you really positive that the EU, in it's current format will be around in 15 - 20 years ?

Or the UK for that matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, The Renegade said:

Only 3 cards needed.

 

The Goodbye card - Goodbye

 

The WTO card - Starts on 29 March 2019

 

The Irish Border card - the UK will not be putting in any border.

 

Trumps anything that the EU think they have.

 

Now grow a pair May and get on with it.

Misses the point that May can’t get an agreement past her own government.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Putting it off for a generation sounds like something right out of the mouths of the Brussels elite....

or, to put it another way, "17 million voters are ignorant buffoons.  Now, enough of that nonsense, and do it our way".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

She intends to issue a 'white paper' now? Years after the vote? Are you kidding me?

 

Respectfully, a 'white paper' is a valuable document at the beginning of a process; issuing a 'white paper' at this juncture is simply a method of saying that "we do not have a clue what we are doing, and we are flailing around without purpose".

 

I am sure that many will object forcefully, but I would return to a recommendation I made many months ago; Britain, swallow your pride and put off "Brexit" for a generation. As an outsider looking on, it is crystal clear that the UK does not know what it is doing or have a viable plan, that the UK has no internal consensus on the future whatsoever, and that to make a deal on the most significant policy shift in several generations under these conditions is madness.

 

Stop this nonsense before you do further self-harm.

 

If the desire to leave the EU is still prevalent in 15-20 years, by all means choose 'Brexit". To do so now, under these circumstances, is not a wise policy.

 

Exactly. And May should have produced a 'white paper' for parliament inspection and agreement before signing article 50. That is a heinous abuse of power, IMO, and demonstrates the government's lack of understanding exactly what Brexit would mean, and what effect it would cause the UK.  

 

All its done so far is to alienate the people, even Rees Mogg on BBC breakfast time could be seen to deplore the government's attempt to force through Brexit without any chance of a deal that would benefit the UK.  

 

As to the cabinet's failure to come to a consensus, IMO they're pandering to their own aims and ambitions within the Tory party (as is May), and as Boris said, <deleted> business, which is a deplorable statement from the foreign secretary, and should have resulted in his dismissal from government. 

 

As to Corbyn, he's also lost credibility as an effective opposition leader and a possible future PM. Best outcome is that the people vote on the final deal as it's clear that parliament are not able - or being allowed  to make any meaningful challenge.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Put your cards on the table, EU makes last Brexit call to Britain

That headline should read

 

Quote

Put your cards on the table, UK PM makes last Brexit call to the EU

Why ?

 

From yesterday's remainer Bible - AKA the Guardian.

 

Quote

Varadkar added: “If that principle were to be conceded there would be Eurosceptics and right-wing populist parties in every second country of Europe who would say cannot we have the same deal. While we really regret that the UK has decided to leave the European Union, we are not going to let them destroy the European Union.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jun/29/eu-uk-divide-poses-serious-threat-to-brexit-talks-says-barnier

 

The cat is now well and truly out of the bag. The project must be saved at all costs.

 

Quit with the fake negotiations. play the 3 cards in my previous comment.

 

1 hour ago, The Renegade said:

The Goodbye card - Goodbye

 

The WTO card - Starts on 29 March 2019

 

The Irish Border card - the UK will not be putting in any border.

 

Sit back and watch the EU / Barnier squirm like snakes in a sack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...