Put your cards on the table, EU makes last Brexit call to Britain

rooster59

5 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

According to Jacob Rees Mogg, speaking on Channel 4 yesterday, it could take up to 50 years before the benefits of Brexit start to be felt in the UK. Are you willing to wait that long?

is that so?

where does Retro Mug buy his crystal balls?

(and he, Retro Mug, and BJ is more and more frequently being mentioned as becoming holders of the UK steering wheel)

gosh - there are challenges

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

According to Jacob Rees Mogg, speaking on Channel 4 yesterday, it could take up to 50 years before the benefits of Brexit start to be felt in the UK. Are you willing to wait that long?

Well it's taken us 40+ years to come to the conclusion that the EU isn't good for the UK. Can't see meself living another 20 years but one can hope.

1 hour ago, The Renegade said:

In the UK's case, being a member of the SM does not equate to leaving the EU.

Still ruled from Brussels, and under the Jurisdiction of the ECJ.

The off topic Countries that you list have never been members of the EU and can do whatever they want.

They must be happy to pay money to accept rules from Brussels and the judgement of the ECJ.

They have to apply the rules of the internal market. The enforcement of these rules is carried out by the EFTA court, which is not under the ECJ.

9 minutes ago, candide said:

They have to apply the rules of the internal market. The enforcement of these rules is carried out by the EFTA court, which is not under the ECJ.

They have to abide by laws made by Brussels

They both pay '' Fees '' for the privilege.

Norway and Switzerland have to accept EU laws despite not being members in order to trade with it.

https://fullfact.org/europe/norway-switzerland-eu-laws/

Furthermore, it is the EU who are trying to shackle the UK to the ECJ.

The EU27 counter that the ECJ is the only appropriate judicial body to adjudicate, for example, matters relating to the rights of EU citizens who decide to stay in the U.K. after Britain leaves the bloc.

Which is followed up by

The EFTA model does demonstrate that the EU is prepared to trust foreign judges enforcing a form of EU law in their own lands. Why that should not apply to the U.K. courts — the jurisdiction of choice for company and litigants the world-over — is not clear.

https://www.politico.eu/article/eea-efta-uk-brexit-why-efta-court-may-not-be-an-easy-brexit-compromise/

The reason is crystal clear, the UK must remain under the jurisdiction of the EU.

The EU is terrified that the UK will make a success of Brexit and others will follow suit.

6 minutes ago, lungbing said:

Equally terrified are the remainers in the UK.  And they will do their best to try and spoil it so they can say 'We told you so'.

This is the bit that I don't get.... they would rather see THEIR country suffer/fail than go forward together in the best interests of the country.

36 minutes ago, The Renegade said:

They have to abide by laws made by Brussels

They both pay '' Fees '' for the privilege.

https://fullfact.org/europe/norway-switzerland-eu-laws/

Furthermore, it is the EU who are trying to shackle the UK to the ECJ.

Which is followed up by

https://www.politico.eu/article/eea-efta-uk-brexit-why-efta-court-may-not-be-an-easy-brexit-compromise/

The reason is crystal clear, the UK must remain under the jurisdiction of the EU.

The EU is terrified that the UK will make a success of Brexit and others will follow suit.

Well, if they're making it too difficult for the UK to accept anything but a hard Brexit, how does it follow that they doing that as a warning to others. If they're so afraid of the UK making a success of a clean break, that's the last thing the EU should want.

20 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

This is the bit that I don't get.... they would rather see THEIR country suffer/fail than go forward together in the best interests of the country.

You might want to rephrase that comment.

There are a lot of posters commenting on these Brexit threads who are not British ??

They also appear to be mostly remainers. Why that would be I have no idea ??

5 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

thousands (not ARPA/Internet in Europe, though, that was for a selected few)

But where were those thousand located and was ARPA freely available to the general public, most of whom did not have easy access to a pc?

5 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

you are still off,

I already said that ARPA/Internet was for a selected few in Europe in the 70s

There were mobile phones in Norway and Sweden long (YEARS) before NMT saw the light

I used some mysef

and social media in use by thousands  in Sweden and Norway

Please show me where I am off target.

11 minutes ago, The Renegade said:

You might want to rephrase that comment.

There are a lot of posters commenting on these Brexit threads who are not British ??

They also appear to be mostly remainers. Why that would be I have no idea ??

As the performance of the Conservative government shows, being British and being clueless are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

44 minutes ago, lungbing said:

Equally terrified are the remainers in the UK.  And they will do their best to try and spoil it so they can say 'We told you so'.

Again the Tinkerbell argument. If only you believe, something stupid will turn into something smart. You're already setting up excuses so that if a hard Brexit comes, the backers of it can point their fingers elsewhere. You're clearly afraid to own the decision and its consequences.

5 hours ago, oilinki said:

I know, fully off-topic, but I just wanted to say I'm taking my old, weathered, Nokia hat off for really old timer in the industry ?

Thank you.

In the early days when I was with Motorola it was physically hard work to do all the backplane wiring  and cabling on 1G but when 2G came along what we used to do that took 10 cabinets was down to 1 or 2 and 3G.

What used to take 2 people a month in the 1980s was down to a couple of days for 2G and 3G was easier still.

When we built a switching centre in Qatar the backup batteries weighed (no sh*t) 25 tons and the power cables were 2 inches in circumference, the rectifiers, 12 of them weighed 250 kg each with 2 to a rack.

Fortunately I am retired now for 9 years though I still have friends working in the business in management jobs but they were youngsters when they started while I was an old man of 44 years.

3 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Again the Tinkerbell argument. If only you believe, something stupid will turn into something smart. You're already setting up excuses so that if a hard Brexit comes, the backers of it can point their fingers elsewhere. You're clearly afraid to own the decision and its consequences.

You have no evidence for that claim........ but that does seem to be a feature of your posts.

I, for one, voted leave and will live with the consequences. That said, I did expect my government to handle it better - starting with Cameron's inability to have a Brexit plan in place in the event of the referendum outcome being as it was.

4 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

vote in 75 election? relevant?

checked my memory - I started using mobile phones in Norway in 1970 or 1971 - many had mob phones as early as that,

the system name OLT comes to mind, but can't remember if OLT was after what I used and before NMT or if what I used in the 70s was called OLT.

rather off topic

but the only really interesting (in my view) thing in what I wrote was the very very early "widespread" use of social media

Sweden - New Jersey/US  - some country in Europe I have forgotten - Norway

started using social media at scale in the late 70s

How if there was no internet and no websites?

Widespread? Hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands of people and what did they use to communicate with as pcs were not generally available to the public?

8 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

That said, I did expect my government to handle it better - starting with Cameron's inability to have a Brexit plan in place in the event of the referendum outcome being as it was.

Arrogance at it's best from Cameron. Never thought for one second that the vote would be to leave therefore why put in any effort.

4 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

You have no evidence for that claim........ but that does seem to be a feature of your posts.

I, for one, voted leave and will live with the consequences. That said, I did expect my government to handle it better - starting with Cameron's inability to have a Brexit plan in place in the event of the referendum outcome being as it was.

You're the person who posted this and you make claims about my lack of evidence?

"This is the bit that I don't get.... they would rather see THEIR country suffer/fail than go forward together in the best interests of the country."

Exactly what kind of evidence could be found to counter such nonsense as that?

Do you have access to secret tapes made in the confessionals of Catholic Remainers?

When someone posts statement as fact that I think are wrong, I do post links or have them at the ready if challenged. I have to admit that your kind of allegation as to motive can't be disproved. Can't be proved either. In other words, it's empty. 

10 minutes ago, billd766 said:

How if there was no internet and no websites?

Widespread? Hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands of people and what did they use to communicate with as pcs were not generally available to the public?

man,

give me a break, what has access to social media to do with PCs and websites?

do your research

no, not tens of thousands but thousands

phones;

I started using mobile phones in Norway in 1970 or 1971,

the system name OLT comes to mind, but I cannot remember right now if what I used then was OLT or if OLT came later but before NMT.

Then we had NMT (pretty good)

Then we got GSM (much worse) and there we are today - still shit

As I have said twice already;

Internet/ARPA in the late 70s/early 80s was for the selected very few in Norway (me included)

but it was there

since late 70s thousands used social media,

Sweden - New Jersey/US - a European country I've forgotten - Norway

were pioneers

and,

a bit beside point but; but the social media applications used at that time were WAY WAY WAY WAY more advanced and

sophisticated than this TV crap and similar that people us today

access;

terminals/computers/telephone/dial/x.21/x.25 early 80s/ibm 3270 networks

simply; no sweat!

2 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

man,

give me a break, what has access to social media to do with PCs and websites?

do your research

no, not tens of thousands but thousands

phones;

I started using mobile phones in Norway in 1970 or 1971,

the system name OLT comes to mind, but I cannot remember right now if what I used then was OLT or if OLT came later but before NMT.

Then we had NMT (pretty good)

Then we got GSM (much worse) and there we are today - still shit

As I have said twice already;

Internet/ARPA in the late 70s/early 80s was for the selected very few in Norway (me included)

but it was there

since late 70s thousands used social media,

Sweden - New Jersey/US - a European country I've forgotten - Norway

were pioneers

and,

a bit beside point but; but the social media applications used at that time were WAY WAY WAY WAY more advanced and

sophisticated than this TV crap and similar that people us today

access;

terminals/computers/telephone/dial/x.21/x.25 early 80s/ibm 3270 networks

simply; no sweat!

But you are the one that brought it up and not me.

I am trying to work out how you managed to do it and squaring that away with my limited knowledge of mobile phones and the internet access.

2 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

He didn't actually say what you are stating RR.

Somewhere in there he says opportunities could be felt from day 1.

He said "the overwhelming oportunities of brexit will be felt over the next 50 years"

But my hearing is not too good, so I will post the video of the interview and the relevant piece is mentioned about the 22.30 minute mark.

Archived