Wat Tamkrabok

garro

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys (and girls!)

Have just finished reading Garro's book/experiences at Wat Thamkrabot. Congratulations on publishing the work. It flows well and a fascinating read. You could sell tea to a chinaman from the convictions you leave the reader. I knew nothing about it although my girlfriend had been babbling something about it for months. She grew up in Lopburi and has had a brother who had been redeem there.

It appears that I might need to head down the same road. It wasnt that i finally listened to her but a series of cascading events. She's a smart girl huh. In fact the recount Garro gives leading up to Thamkrabot is a little to close to home. Eerie.

I have been clean for a month to date and this is the longest period for 15-17 year. I cannot really recall a juncture. Anyhow, i have never really taken action before. I went to one AA session some 12 years ago but never went back.

The question I have is because I seem to have done the chemical detox already, is Thamkrabot for me? I have virtually incarcerated myself this past month to get this far and have left the appartment only a hand full of times. I need to start normalisng things again but know that things are still a bit tricky. I have the time and preparedness to go but am still hestitant i suppose.

If this is not new terriotory for some one I would appreciate any comment either by board or for the time being by email.

Thanking you in advance.

Hi guys (and girls!)

Have just finished reading Garro's book/experiences at Wat Thamkrabot. Congratulations on publishing the work. It flows well and a fascinating read. You could sell tea to a chinaman from the convictions you leave the reader. I knew nothing about it although my girlfriend had been babbling something about it for months. She grew up in Lopburi and has had a brother who had been redeem there.

It appears that I might need to head down the same road. It wasnt that i finally listened to her but a series of cascading events. She's a smart girl huh. In fact the recount Garro gives leading up to Thamkrabot is a little to close to home. Eerie.

I have been clean for a month to date and this is the longest period for 15-17 year. I cannot really recall a juncture. Anyhow, i have never really taken action before. I went to one AA session some 12 years ago but never went back.

The question I have is because I seem to have done the chemical detox already, is Thamkrabot for me? I have virtually incarcerated myself this past month to get this far and have left the appartment only a hand full of times. I need to start normalisng things again but know that things are still a bit tricky. I have the time and preparedness to go but am still hestitant i suppose.

If this is not new terriotory for some one I would appreciate any comment either by board or for the time being by email.

Thanking you in advance.

Hi Optad,

I sent you a pm.

Congtatulations on one month and best of luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Luang Por Charoen, the abbot and co-founder of Wat Thamkrabok, died last friday.

He will be missed by many.

I will always owe him a debt of gratitude.

I never met him personally, as he was too sick, but the temple he co-founded turned my life around.

• 3 months later...

Someone on the forum asked about residential rehab programs for farangs in Thailand. There is one set up in Kanchanburi. It is run by British expiates with allot of experience and located right on the River Kwai. It has really nice private bungalows and a focus on physical fitness as well as rehabilitation.

If anyone is interested you can email or call me and I can give you more information. [email protected] 081-886-0908.

P.S. This is not a 12 step program and the therapists are highly qualified, it is mostly marketed overseas and they only accept english speakers.

Wade

Someone on the forum asked about residential rehab programs for farangs in Thailand. There is one set up in Kanchanburi. It is run by British expiates with allot of experience and located right on the River Kwai. It has really nice private bungalows and a focus on physical fitness as well as rehabilitation.

If anyone is interested you can email or call me and I can give you more information. [email protected] 081-886-0908.

P.S. This is not a 12 step program and the therapists are highly qualified, it is mostly marketed overseas and they only accept english speakers.

Wade

Wat Thamkrabok is a free treatment programme and does not involve marketing. They accept anybody.

Wade

Wat Thamkrabok is a free treatment programme and does not involve marketing. They accept anybody.

As is AA!

Wade

As is AA!

The one I am talking about isn’t a free program. The reason it only accepts English speaking people is that is all they are equipped to deal with; they don’t have properly trained therapists to deal with anyone that doesn’t speak English. Anyways different programs are suitable to different people. Wat Thamkrabok, has proven to be an excellent program for many people, yourself included from reading your posts.

The one I was referring to is another option for people who are looking for help, with a different approach in a different setting, which some people might find is a better choice them.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
It is 2 years today since I left Wat Thamkrabok and I remain grateful to that magical place.

Congratulations Garro - that's awesome!

I tried to go to that temple about 12 years ago but couldn't find it! :o

Take the highway from Saraburi to Lop Buri, just a couple 100 meters after the Km 132 post, there's the new and well marked entrance to the wat area. Drive on in, keep to the right, park up in the noodle shop area. Monk Gordon is normally there tending the sauna waiting to greet folks on arrival, whether entering the detox program or just stopping by for a chat.

I've not been up there since last Saturday, 27 Sept, just stopped by for a hello with Gordon. Great guy!

Mac

• 4 weeks later...

I went to this link severeral times - and all I could find is a calendar and a drawing and a fuc_king shitload of menu's that doesn't take me anywhere.

If I need a PhD in Computer Science to find your (to me most valuable information), I had better take a new beer ... Which I now will.

With all due respect,

Ph, suffering alcoholic

Philo, that link is old and no longer exists since the blog was published as a book early this year. If you are looking for information about the temple I will be glad to answer any of your questions. If you have any questions I will be glad to answer them for you. Unfortunately if it is your intention to drink there is nothing I can say, write or do to stop that.

Philo, that link is old and no longer exists since the blog was published as a book early this year. If you are looking for information about the temple I will be glad to answer any of your questions. If you have any questions I will be glad to answer them for you. Unfortunately if it is your intention to drink there is nothing I can say, write or do to stop that.

Thanks for your swift answer. By some strange incident - before I returned to this thread, I clicked on your profile at TV - and found a link to your website. I guess that is the one with the book and the blog.

Do not feel or think anything about the beer - it is not my first and will not be my last.

Anyway, stay sober.

Ph

And by the way - may be you should ask the moderators if you can edit outdated posts and blogs here. Your info could be the difference between life and death for others (you said in a post that you thought you were going to to die at 36).

Thanks.

Thanks for your swift answer. By some strange incident - before I returned to this thread, I clicked on your profile at TV - and found a link to your website. I guess that is the one with the book and the blog.

Do not feel or think anything about the beer - it is not my first and will not be my last.

Anyway, stay sober.

Ph

Hi Philo, unfortunately that book is no longer on my blog, but you can find an early rough version at the following link;

ttp://www.thamkrabok.com/html/a_thamkrabok_diary_.html

Thanks garro.

I have spent a few hours reading your blog (outside TV), diary and the Wat's homepage (and also looked at the friends website). I think you should publish the links here AND update outdated links.

Where can we buy your book?

I am sure you will forgive me my drunken rant - you said in the interview your were prone to drunk-crawling the web yourself.

I would like to go there - but am scared I am not yet ready...

ph

Thanks garro.

I have spent a few hours reading your blog (outside TV), diary and the Wat's homepage (and also looked at the friends website). I think you should publish the links here AND update outdated links.

Where can we buy your book?

I am sure you will forgive me my drunken rant - you said in the interview your were prone to drunk-crawling the web yourself.

I would like to go there - but am scared I am not yet ready...

ph

Hi philo, I have previously been warned by the moderators about talking about my book on this site as they see it as unfair/unpaid for promotion. My book is called Last Escape and is published through Bangkok Bookhouse. If you live in Thailand you can buy it in most English Language bookstores (otherwise you can get it from the Bangkok Bookhouse website; I won't post a link as I don't want to get in trouble with the mods).

I did frequently post drunk on websites in the past, but often wouldn't remember what I posted the next day; which was likely a blessing.

Edited by garro

• 7 months later...

I just heard the sad news that Phra Hans passed away yesterday. This wonderful Swiss monk was such a fantastic help to all of us addicts. He will be really missed. He treated everyone in such a non-judgemental way, and always seemed to have the right thing to say. I spent a long time trying to understand my addiction, but he was able to explain everything to me one afternoon. I have never drank since then. I went to the temple last week to mark three years sober, but in my rush I didn't bother to go see him. I regret not having a chance to tell him thank-you one more time. I knew that he was ill, but didn't believe he was so near the end.