Ear treatment required

New beginnings

Advise required please. Loss of hearing in left ear which feels blocked up. Possibly just needs to have wax removed.  Can anyone recommend best place for treatment.  Local clinic or is it better to go to ENT at hospital to have proper check. If so which one? Many thanks.

I would go for a checkup. I had one 2 years ago there, I think about 1000 baht or so. Not the cheapest, but the best in CM.

We take our kids there - very happy with the service. My 7 y.o. got her leg burnt on a motorbike exhaust pipe last time here, rushed her to ER there, excellent service and follow up.

Your travel insurance will cover the costs anyways...

http://www.chiangmairam.com/

Local hospital can also do it but may have limited English. Wait may be long also. Quality varies highly by location. 

You could go to any ENT doctor at any hospital such as RAM or Rajavej and they will take care of any wax build up, there's no need to get a health exam for that problem alone. Perhaps it's worth standing under the shower and letting warm water cascade into the ear to see if that improves things, quite often that will remove some of the wax build up, alternative there's a number of products available from pharmacies that will allow you to safely DIY as a first try.

8 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

You could go to any ENT doctor at any hospital such as RAM or Rajavej and they will take care of any wax build up, there's no need to get a health exam for that problem alone. Perhaps it's worth standing under the shower and letting warm water cascade into the ear to see if that improves things, quite often that will remove some of the wax build up, alternative there's a number of products available from pharmacies that will allow you to safely DIY as a first try.

Good advice but I would err on the side of caution. I've had plenty of ear irrigation, infections and wax buildups during a year as a scuba diver instructor in Koh Tao. If there is hearing loss, although it can be caused by excessive wax, I would be concerned with an infection. Important to catch that asap. Depending on how the OP's overall health and familiarity with tropical climates, and tolerance to infections is. 

Yes agreed, people need to be careful, the rule of thumb is to never put anything smaller than your elbow into the ear canal! But the hot water shower trick is safe and does work well.

Go to the CM Ram website... easy to make an appointment... 

http://www.chiangmairam.com/doctorsetdate_step1

Just show up for your appointment at the desk on the ground floor where the sign says ENT (I seem to recall its desk 4)

I’ve  gone to the see the ENT there with appointment the wait is only a few minutes... Had him completely clean both ears and he gave me cleaning drops - total cost 1,200 baht... 

27 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

I'm not quite sure why the OP is posting Haha emoticons to constructive replies, perhaps the wax build extends to inside the cranial cavity!

Oops sorry. Misunderstood the symbols.  System does not appear to have like button and I thought the laughing face was a way of saying thanks for advise received. My mistake and sorry if I have offended anyone,

Just as a general sideline to ear infection... After 3 visits to the ENT to clear out a blockage from a reoccurring fungus infection that the doctor finally said he could put medication in my ear and then seal it up for 10 days to try and kill off the fungus - I instead tried a homeopathic remedy of Tea Tree Oil (80 baht at Herb Basic - Airport Plaza)... I just added a few drops to the cleaning oil the doctor prescribed before and also put a drop on a Q Tip when I gently cleaned my ear weekly - Have not had a reoccurrence in over 6 months

10 minutes ago, New beginnings said:

Oops sorry. Misunderstood the symbols.  System does not appear to have like button and I thought the laughing face was a way of saying thanks for advise received. My mistake and sorry if I have offended anyone,

Hold your mouse pointer over the "heart" and click, alternatively move the pointer to the left to select other emoticons

1 hour ago, sfokevin said:

Go to the CM Ram website... easy to make an appointment... 

http://www.chiangmairam.com/doctorsetdate_step1

Just show up for your appointment at the desk on the ground floor where the sign says ENT (I seem to recall its desk 4)

I’ve  gone to the see the ENT there with appointment the wait is only a few minutes... Had him completely clean both ears and he gave me cleaning drops - total cost 1,200 baht... 

I went to the McCormick hospital for a earproblem, the doctor starts at 10 in the morning,he checked and did give me some medicine.I paid about 600 baht.

12 hours ago, dvg said:

I went to the McCormick hospital for a earproblem, the doctor starts at 10 in the morning,he checked and did give me some medicine.I paid about 600 baht.

mcdonald hospital? i can't see nor hear how ketchop in your ear can make it any better.

or was it the american tomato scauce?

23 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

mcdonald hospital? i can't see nor hear how ketchop in your ear can make it any better.

or was it the american tomato scauce?

I think you need an Eyedoktor,it says McCormick hospital.

Many thanks for all the advise. Popped into Rajavej Hospital, practically opposite my condo, and managed to see English speaking doctor without having to make an appointment. He cleared out the wax, now can hear much better, and identified an ear infection. Prescribed ear drops and total cost of consultation and prescription 946bahts. Given the infection probably a good thing didn’t try it at home. Well pleased with the result.

3 hours ago, dvg said:

agreed..they have a dedicated ENT Clinic, and you can just walk in.  I never had an infection, but the ears were examined, and cleaned.  Lady doctor charged 250, but male charged 500 more recently...total bill under 1000.  RAMs appointment system is screwed...would only to there if it was the closest in an emergency, which is highly unlikely...And would go to Nakorn Maharach instead.

On the south side of Sirinthorn Road, just east of its intersection with Borom-mara-ratchachan-nani Road, Bang Plat District. (Approx. 400metres east of the former Sai Tai Mai Bus Station, now being used as a van station.)

15 hours ago, moontang said:

agreed..they have a dedicated ENT Clinic, and you can just walk in.  I never had an infection, but the ears were examined, and cleaned.  Lady doctor charged 250, but male charged 500 more recently...total bill under 1000.  RAMs appointment system is screwed...would only to there if it was the closest in an emergency, which is highly unlikely...And would go to Nakorn Maharach instead.

if you walk down the road to the small soi behind, you can find a guy there that will clean both your ears with the same wood stick for just 60 baht. i don't know how he does it, buy he cover the stick with some silk napkin, stick it in the one ear, pull it from the other and rub it quickly in between both ears until all clear.

I lost my hearing three times in as many years in the left ear. The last time it happened the right ear went deaf a week after the left. I couldn't even watch TV it was that bad. No pain or discomfort, just near deafness. Experience told me it would clear on its own - and it did. 

Now, sometime later, I went to see the doc for an unrelated issue and had my ears looked at as part of the checkup. I was told there was a lot of impacted wax inside and advised to get the ears syringed. I popped into the McCormick hospital without an appointment and got seen to in about 30 minutes.  It was a painless - almost pleasant - procedure that took less than 10 minutes.  That was in January this year and so far so good. 

I can't remember the price, but it was somewhere around the 1200 Baht mark.

Hope that helps others reading HEAR that might also need a good clean out.

Stubby

19 hours ago, Always Lit said:

Another method is using an "at home" ear wax removal kit. You can search on YouTube, it's basically a water sprayer that sprays water into the ear and removes ear wax effectively.

(see the attached photo)

Ear Kit (1).jpg

VERY DANGEROUS. if you only knew how delicate and important are your ears, you

would treat it with great respect.

better pay something once in few years for a pro to remove those ear wax.

another way i liked is the INDIAN EAR CANDLES, google it...but here also need professional.

On 7/2/2018 at 4:21 PM, taotoo said:

Even better, at McCormick you receive your ear drops in a bag with "we provide the medicine, but god provides the cure" written on it.

God doesn't interfere with people's lives. ?

This is a misconception.

Archived