Pattaya Dentist Recimmendation

Jip99

I know this subject has been done a few times and I apologies if my question has been answered elsewhere.

A friend made a recommendation for a dentist called Dr Tapasit Prapawiwat.

I actually visited the dental surgery when my friend called to make an appointment. Unfortunately, I cannot visualize where the surgery was - and my friend has sadly passed away.

Can anyone point me in the right direction.

On 7/2/2018 at 10:19 PM, champers said:

www.studiosmilethailand.com

Near Dolphin roundabout. I found it using Thai Visa's search function "tapasit".

So did I...... but I knew he wasn't there...:)

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2018 at 8:19 AM, champers said:

www.studiosmilethailand.com

Near Dolphin roundabout. I found it using Thai Visa's search function "tapasit".

I had a not so great experience there.  The main dentist on their website is the one who treated me.  The guy who is supposedly US trained etc.  Maybe he was having a bad day but he was kind of rude when I was there.  I just went for a cleaning like I always do when checking out a dentist for the first time.  He seemed to rush through it and didn't seem to be too through. Just did the ultrasonic cleaning and no scraping.  He found a cavity and wanted to do that then and there.  When I said I would think about it he seemed to get more rude.  He also yelled at his female assistant a few times.  They were not very busy.  I think I was the only person there the whole time.

Don't trust reviews you read on here and possibly elsewhere.  They delete negative reviews.  I think there is some stupid Thai law about it.  So the only reviews you ever see are good ones.  There is a good chance this post will be deleted. 

I have yet to find a decent dentist in Pattaya.  I have gone to many places that had good reviews and was always disappointed.  Some expats I know go to the dental hospitals in Phnom Penh now.

On 7/3/2018 at 11:37 PM, sgoodes said:

I'm actually having work done by Dr Warin and cannot fault his manner and price. Back to him in 3 months for the next stage.

I am going to give him a try.  Just a cleaning first visit to see how that goes.

10 hours ago, lapd said:

I had a not so great experience there.  The main dentist on their website is the one who treated me.  The guy who is supposedly US trained etc.  Maybe he was having a bad day but he was kind of rude when I was there.  I just went for a cleaning like I always do when checking out a dentist for the first time.  He seemed to rush through it and didn't seem to be too through. Just did the ultrasonic cleaning and no scraping.  He found a cavity and wanted to do that then and there.  When I said I would think about it he seemed to get more rude.  He also yelled at his female assistant a few times.  They were not very busy.  I think I was the only person there the whole time.

Don't trust reviews you read on here and possibly elsewhere.  They delete negative reviews.  I think there is some stupid Thai law about it.  So the only reviews you ever see are good ones.  There is a good chance this post will be deleted. 

I have yet to find a decent dentist in Pattaya.  I have gone to many places that had good reviews and was always disappointed.  Some expats I know go to the dental hospitals in Phnom Penh now.

I had the same experience there. Not good. I then went to Dr. Warin on Pattaya Klang and have been there now for the last 3 years.

On 7/4/2018 at 12:31 PM, petermik said:

Google Dr Warin Pattaya klang.....best and most affordable bar none....:thumbsup:

I agree, but he's so popular with Thais and foreigners that getting an appointment can be difficult if you're in a hurry. I was lucky to book him last Monday for next Monday, but usually, it takes longer to get in. It won't work well for people here for a limited time.

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 9:38 PM, lapd said:

I have used Khun Warin ever since I came to Thailand and agree with everything you say. However I have yet to find a better dentist in Pattaya other than Bangkok Pattaya hospital but expect to pay Western prices there and more.

A few months ago I had an abscess under my tooth and self prescribed a course of Amoxycillin. When the abscess subsided I went to Khun Warin. The receptionist was adamant that I couldn't have an appointment for one month but after some pretty forceful insistence from me, agreed that I could see him if I sat and waited. Waited an hour before I saw him and he told me that I had gum disease and the only thing that he could do was to remove the tooth. I also pointed another tooth out to him that I'd been having problems with but he couldn't find anything wrong with it.

As I was returning to the UK the following week, I continued with the Amoxycillin and saw a dentist in the UK who diagnosed a badly decayed wisdom tooth (not the same tooth that Khun Warin wanted to remove) which he removed. The other tooth that I'd been having problems with required extensive filling. His diagnosis was made after X-Raying all my teeth. I have never seen Khun Warin using his X-Ray machine. Also gave my teeth a thorough clean and told me that I had no sign of gum disease. No problems since.

There are no good dentists in Pattaya, just bad dentists and very bad dentists!

On 7/20/2018 at 3:25 PM, Spidey said:

I have never seen Khun Warin using his X-Ray machine.

Used it twice when treating me 4 years ago.....12 crowns and one implant....great and affordable treatment with no issues since :thumbsup:

52 minutes ago, petermik said:

Used it twice when treating me 4 years ago.....12 crowns and one implant....great and affordable treatment with no issues since :thumbsup:

Crowns and implants seem to be his speciality. Once needed root canal surgery and he referred me to BPH as he hadn't had the training. Seem to remember him telling me, some time ago, that his X-Ray machine was broken.

2 hours ago, topt said:
20 hours ago, Spidey said:

I have never seen Khun Warin using his X-Ray machine. 

I had an Xray from him a couple of years ago.

Thanks however for the cautionary tale.

He's also X-ray'd my teeth.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2018 at 4:57 AM, tropo said:

He's also X-ray'd my teeth.

There seem to be a small group of people here who constantly recommend that guy every chance they get which could be a bit suspicous.  I've never been.  From the outside it seems to be a pretty low budget operation.  His sign is dull and faded.  Could use a replacement sign.  Also, it never looks very busy in there when I have walked by which is almost every day on my way to Big C Extra.  This is usually during low season.  Maybe he is busier during high season.

Anyways, I wouldn't trust the reviews here until you see for yourself first hand.  I'll go in for a cleaning and see how it goes.  I've been meaning to try him out for awhile.

I've been to Warin a couple of times for cleaning though I have never actually seen him. I would agree that his place is probably the best of a bad bunch in Pattaya, but I still prefer to drive to Sri Racha where I think I get better treatment.

But as always in Thailand it depends on the person you see, and their mood on the day, rather than the place you go to. Unreliable and inconsistent are the key words here.

6 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I've been to Warin a couple of times for cleaning though I have never actually seen him. I would agree that his place is probably the best of a bad bunch in Pattaya, but I still prefer to drive to Sri Racha where I think I get better treatment.

But as always in Thailand it depends on the person you see, and their mood on the day, rather than the place you go to. Unreliable and inconsistent are the key words here.

Having used Dr Warrin for 10 years (both my wife and I), for crowns, cleaning, fillings etc, I will disagree with you. Of course, I've used him for many things while you've only had a couple of cleanings, so what would you know.

He's not the best of a bad bunch, he's the best dentist I have ever been to including all the dentists in my home country. I could list many reasons why he's exceptional, but I won't bother with that here as it would be a very long post.

27 minutes ago, tropo said:

Having used Dr Warrin for 10 years (both my wife and I), for crowns, cleaning, fillings etc, I will disagree with you. Of course, I've used him for many things while you've only had a couple of cleanings, so what would you know

You appear to be agreeing with me rather than disagreeing. As I mentioned, much depends on the person here rather than on the place.

And yes, I do prefer the dentist who has done all my implants and other work for several years. Just like you do.

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

You appear to be agreeing with me rather than disagreeing. As I mentioned, much depends on the person here rather than on the place.

And yes, I do prefer the dentist who has done all my implants and other work for several years. Just like you do.

My affection is not because of familiarity, it's for his skills as a dentist. It was your "best of a bad bunch" comment I disagreed with.

But yes, it is good to see someone who knows you and has an accurate record of your teeth and what has been done over the years. For example, I just had a big filling from years back fall out. I thought it was the same one Dr Warin filled 3 years ago, but the record showed it was a different tooth, one he had never worked on. I was actually surprised that he took the conservative approach by testing out a filling before suggesting an 8000 baht crown. It's still going strong after more than 3 years. That's twice he's filled teeth that I'm pretty sure most other dentists in Pattaya would put a crown on. My last crown he did at the old price, saving me 1000 baht. You just don't expect that in Thailand when you're a foreigner.

He did a one-year implant course at UCLA back in 2006. The certificate is on the wall behind the reception desk. His English skills and willingness to explain all the details of his work are a big plus too.

On 7/21/2018 at 9:50 AM, petermik said:

10 hours ago, tropo said:

Having used Dr Warrin for 10 years (both my wife and I), for crowns, cleaning, fillings etc, I will disagree with you. Of course, I've used him for many things while you've only had a couple of cleanings, so what would you know.

He's not the best of a bad bunch, he's the best dentist I have ever been to including all the dentists in my home country. I could list many reasons why he's exceptional, but I won't bother with that here as it would be a very long post.

21 hours ago, lapd said:

There seem to be a small group of people here who constantly recommend that guy every chance they get which could be a bit suspicous.  I've never been.  From the outside it seems to be a pretty low budget operation.  His sign is dull and faded.  Could use a replacement sign.  Also, it never looks very busy in there when I have walked by which is almost every day on my way to Big C Extra.  This is usually during low season.  Maybe he is busier during high season.

Anyways, I wouldn't trust the reviews here until you see for yourself first hand.  I'll go in for a cleaning and see how it goes.  I've been meaning to try him out for awhile.

Give him a miss lapd...myself and tropo are talking through our backsides,what,as long standing patients do we know about dentists here in Pattaya....if his sign does not suit your taste go for a much more glitzy and upscale place....you know it makes sense,must be a top of the range dentist operating in such an establishment :whistling:

8 minutes ago, petermik said:

Give him a miss lapd...myself and tropo are talking through our backsides,what,as long standing patients do we know about dentists here in Pattaya....if his sign does not suit your taste go for a much more glitzy and upscale place....you know it makes sense,must be a top of the range dentist operating in such an establishment :whistling:

Yes, lapd should definitely give him a miss. I hope he does as Dr Warin is busy enough as it is... his appointment book is often completely full for weeks, even in the offseason. He should go to very flashy establishment for the best possible dental care and highest possible bills.

28 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

What is wrong with being the best in town?

Nothing is wrong with being the best in town, but when you qualify it by saying "best of a bad bunch", the meaning is significantly altered. You even took it a step further by saying you go to a dentist in a different town suggesting even the best in this town is not good enough for you.

51 minutes ago, tropo said:

Nothing is wrong with being the best in town, but when you qualify it by saying "best of a bad bunch", the meaning is significantly altered. You even took it a step further by saying you go to a dentist in a different town suggesting even the best in this town is not good enough for you.

Best of a bad bunch is still the best in town, and to me it sounds like a compliment.

And yes, I do go to another town because I find medical services in general to be better and cheaper there. It's not a question of what's "good enough for me".

Archived