Vietnam eVisa - Was told will be $30, then get text for $100.

JimmyJ

As stated.

A Cambodian eVisa was $35 for 3 months validity, so $30 for 1 month seemed in the ballpark which is the rate their Washington DC Embassy quoted to me.

Filled out the Vietnamese eVisa forms, got a text stating "The total fee is 100$... [includes all incl. FedEx]... for 01 visa(s) valid for one month(s), single entry."

The Embassy had told me a 3 month eVisa is $110.

Received the text yesterday and didn't see it till now. DC Embassy is closed until tomorrow.

So $30 for the eVisa, $70 for shipping and handling?

???

Edited by JimmyJ

I was told the fee is $30, am now told the fee is $100.

One or the other price is a mistake.

Perhaps the guy I got on the phone at the Embassy misquoted the price?

I can't believe it's $30 for an eVisa and $70 for shipping which wasn't mentioned.

The whole point of the eVisa should be less expense.

The Cambodian simply sent me an email to print and that is my eVisa.

$35 total cost and no need to ship, completed in about an hour for the whole process.

And valid for 3 months.

Perhaps the text was from Vietnam (it was Sunday in the US and the DC Embassy was closed when I got the text) and they are confusing the price with a regular (non-e) Visa?

Edited by JimmyJ

2 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

It was direct thru their eVisa application on the Vietnamese Embassy/Washington DC website.

I just followed the link you provided.

Now I'm not sure who I dealt with - was sure it was thru the Viet Embassy in the US but perhaps was misdirected somehow, will retrace my steps and the links I followed, as your linked site states it's $25.

This is strange - there is also a Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Vietnam website, which shows a different first page of the Visa application:

https://visa.mofa.gov.vn/_layouts/registration/ApplicationForm.aspx

This one has a popup stating that one has 15 minutes to fill in the application form. The other site does not have that popup.

I'll call the Embassy in DC tomorrow.

Doesn't really make sense that the Embassy and the Ministry of FA would have different prices and a different application form...

Both sites appear legit though.

Hopefully all my info didn't go to an identity theft site but it doesn't appear so.

The US Dept. of State website has links to both of those sites under "Entry, Exit and Visa Requirements":

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Vietnam.html#ExternalPopup

Edited by JimmyJ

16 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

This is strange - there is also a Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Vietnam website, which shows a different first page of the Visa application:

https://visa.mofa.gov.vn/_layouts/registration/ApplicationForm.aspx

This one has a popup stating that one has 15 minutes to fill in the application form. The other site does not have that popup.

I'll call the Embassy in DC tomorrow.

Doesn't really make sense that the Embassy and the Ministry of FA would have different prices and a different application form...

Both sites appear legit though.

Hopefully all my info didn't go to an identity theft site but it doesn't appear so.

The US Dept. of State website has links to both of those sites under "Entry, Exit and Visa Requirements":

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Vietnam.html#ExternalPopup

This one is not an e-Visa; http://vietnamembassy-usa.org/content/visa-application-process

nor is this one; https://visa.mofa.gov.vn/_layouts/registration/ApplicationForm.aspx

• Like 1

2. Apply online and receive loose-leaf visa by mail doesn't indicated e-Visa.

That's why the extra costs.

Second link seems much the same, though you can choose where to submit and collect the Visa.

If you want an e-Visa, use my link.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

2. Apply online and receive loose-leaf visa by mail doesn't indicated e-Visa.

That's why the extra costs.

Second link seems much the same, though you can choose where to submit and collect the Visa.

If you want an e-Visa, use my link.

Thank you, very helpful.

Will do.

The eVisa gives me a one month period from start to expiration.

Does this mean that as long as I enter the country before the expiration, I get 30 days stay?

Or does it mean that no matter when I enter, I have to leave the country by the expiration date (or get a renewal)?

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

A few months back i was researching the evisa and noticed a few different companies trying to sell it, so need to be careful

The link KneeDeep provided seems to be solid - after a few days I've got an eVisa to print a copy of.

Hopefully no problems with it.

So far no unknown charges against the credit card I used.

• Like 1

The link KneeDeep provided seems to be solid - after a few days I've got an eVisa to print a copy of.
I guess if its .gov.vn it's genuine and the direct one
  • Like 1

Just now, scubascuba3 said:
5 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

I guess if its .gov.vn it's genuine and the direct one

Did you end up passing?

It is a bit disturbing - especially since the US Dept. of State links to the one I linked to earlier, and not the one KneeDeep provided which appears to be the correct one.

Did you end up passing?

It is a bit disturbing - especially since the US Dept. of State links to the one I linked to earlier, and not the one KneeDeep provided which appears to be the correct one.

I don't need an e-visa yet but was doing a little research, but it isn't obvious which one to use even the .gov.vn one has a long dubious website name and the site looks very basic. I guess ok if someone has used and confirmed but doesn't fill me with coincidence

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

...but it isn't obvious which one to use even the .gov.vn one has a long dubious website name and the site looks very basic...

Did you look at the 2 sites I linked to, which apparently are official Gov't. sites?

They are fairly basic also.

On 7/6/2018 at 1:22 PM, JimmyJ said:
On 7/3/2018 at 2:22 AM, KneeDeep said:

Are you dealing with an independent company?

Go direct; https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/en_US/web/guest/khai-thi-thuc-dien-tu/cap-thi-thuc-dien-tu

KneeDeep - Have you personally used this site?

If not, how did you know about it?

That website was announced as the one to use by the VN government last year.

Why is this thread still running?

Does it look like a fake website??

https://xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn

https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn

It just takes a few seconds of research. Perhaps even Google translate could have helped you with xuất nhập cảnh

Then the;

Copyright by Vietnam Immigration Department 
(44 - 46, Tran Phu street, Ba Dinh Dist, Ha Noi).

in the bottom right hand corner may have provided another clue.

Did you check the certificate? All modern browsers give you a 'one click' option to check them.

Once again, the other links are not for the eVisa.  Perhaps talk to the US Dept. of State about their links.... But then they too state that their links are for a loose leaf visa. You asked about an eVisa.

A small hijacking of the thread: Aren't you given 30 days 'for free' by entering the country by air (such as Thailand)? Reading your first posts I'm under the impression you're only staying for 1 month and then a visa is perhaps not needed. 

why would they mail the visa?  doesn't that defeat the "e-"?

had looked into e-visas before, there was a payment up front, you get an emailed confirmation, then you pay a stamping fee on arrival.  total was around $50 i think.

wound up getting visa at the embassy, would get thirty days, but you have to give them the day you plan to arrive.  30 days starts from then, not from when you stamp in.  (could have changed by now....)

Edited by ChouDoufu

30 minutes ago, aldriglikvid said:

A small hijacking of the thread: Aren't you given 30 days 'for free' by entering the country by air (such as Thailand)? Reading your first posts I'm under the impression you're only staying for 1 month and then a visa is perhaps not needed. 

Vietnam, not Thailand. So, no.

28 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

why would they mail the visa?  doesn't that defeat the "e-"?

had looked into e-visas before, there was a payment up front, you get an emailed confirmation, then you pay a stamping fee on arrival.  total was around $50 i think.

wound up getting visa at the embassy, would get thirty days, but you have to give them the day you plan to arrive.  30 days starts from then, not from when you stamp in.  (could have changed by now....)

Nope. The version you mention is just a visa on arrival service. You would pay for an approval letter from Vietnamese Immigration and then pay for the stamp when you arrival.

eVisa is a visa in advance, directly from Vietnamese Immigration.

Edited by KneeDeep

8 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

Vietnam, not Thailand. So, no.

All right, sorry. Yeah - I just checked. Me as a Swede gets 15 day by entering but needs to apply for visa if I wish to stay longer. I'm doing a 10 day trip soon. 

Anyways - good luck with your visa ?

1 minute ago, aldriglikvid said:

All right, sorry. Yeah - I just checked. Me as a Swede gets 15 day by entering but needs to apply for visa if I wish to stay longer. I'm doing a 10 day trip soon. 

Anyways - good luck with your visa ?

I'm not the one getting the visa. ?

I go to vietnam all the time the cost of a 1-3 month single entry visa is $10-25USD online depending on which website you use. I recently used the $10 one and it worked perfectly. Once you are at the airport you will then need to pay $25USD stamping fee for your visa and that is it so $35USD all up.

• Like 1