The British heroes who were the first to find Thai boys missing in Tham Luang cave

webfact

11 minutes ago, JimInPattaya said:

What is it with you people? I can assure you that Brits are no better liked than the Americans, perhaps even less, by the rest of the world. If there is one thing Brits really excel at, it is whining.

I am pretty sure that Thai divers were right there with the Brits. They didn't do it by themselves. The Thai divers also deserve a lot of credit for their hard and dangerous work.

So if these are facts can you validate a link to them.

Fact 1. Brits are no better liked than Americans.

Fact 2. Brits excel at whining (sure you don't mean winning)

Fact 3. Thai divers were right there with the Brits.

Remember it is not a fact if you cannot validate it.

Everybody has done a brilliant job and all deserve a big pat on the back, I wouldn't get too bogged down with who got there first, remember these guys go all over the world to extridite other people in difficulty.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, JimInPattaya said:

What is it with you people? I can assure you that Brits are no better liked than the Americans, perhaps even less, by the rest of the world. If there is one thing Brits really excel at, it is whining.

I am pretty sure that Thai divers were right there with the Brits. They didn't do it by themselves. The Thai divers also deserve a lot of credit for their hard and dangerous work.

To be very honest and fair by all involved...does anyone imply that the 3 British experts could have handled everything alone without ANY of the others?  Yes, the Brits did one hell of a lot, but the others were not bystanders or an impedement to their work. 

WELL DONE GUYS!
You certainly deserve some real recognition for your heroic efforts over the last few days and the next few days to come.
As many have stated, they paved the way for others to follow. Absolutely no doubt whatsoever. Fact.
A huge thank you to all involved in this rescue, from the cooks to the manual labourers to the divers, national and international for ensuing the safe location of the football team. Let's hope for a swift return to civilisation for them all without injury.  

I feel very humble today (and proud).
As I entered the gates of my tiny rural school that employs me, I was greeted with cheers and a home made Union Jack sign! Normally I bypass assembly but today I was forced to pleasantly endure a  long speech by the director (translated by the head of English) thanking the UK for it's help and telling the students how valuable learning English is by quoting some of the English used by the divers. He played the video clip for all the students to see and hear with a huge cheer at the beginning and a mega-applause at the end.

Nothing I could say in return, I was all choked up! 
Thank you guys and thank you Thailand. You have restored my dwindling faith in human nature. 

I'm in the UK at the mo, had messages from Thai friends thanking me, told them it was the efforts of every country involved, but felt very proud to be British.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

16 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

And would the ever-so-proud-facers called for help immediately rather than days later the ordeal might have been shortened. 

They did get the Brits in very quick before others arrived.

They did get the Brits in very quick before others arrived.

If you read some of the foreign news reports, the Brits were first through and they had ropes behind them, to get the Thai SEALS through to the destination. One of these guys is said to be the premier rescue cave diver within Europe, with decades of experience in this type of operation and has bravery medals received already.

Congratulations to all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobody is mentioning big Vern in all this but I don't suppose he cares as long as the team has done their job. But, well done anyway mate, kudos to the Thais and all other nationalities that responded in reaching these kids. We're having a little celebration tonight.

4 minutes ago, grollies said:

Nobody is mentioning big Vern in all this but I don't suppose he cares as long as the team has done their job. But, well done anyway mate, kudos to the Thais and all other nationalities that responded in reaching these kids. We're having a little celebration tonight.

Word is Vern went off on his own looking for other entrances on the surface and in opposite direction to search teams 

6 hours ago, SneekyPete said:

It's important to bear in mind that these 3 fellows possess an uncommon skill set. Very few do what they do. They have been deployed in other similar situations where most others are not able to go.

Let's all just be grateful that they were called in, as they definitely brought added value to this rescue operation. And leave it at that for the moment. The 'lessons learned' can wait for another day.

Well said!

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

Very instrumental to the finding of the boys were the unique and groundbreaking communication equipment worth 100,000 US$ donated to the Thai rescue team by an Israel hiTec company maxtech networks, that has made communication in those difficult terrains possible to get the job done...

Yes agree, a huge massive international effort. No one group found the boys. They all did and thanks!

48 minutes ago, JimInPattaya said:

Fact 1. Brits are no better liked than Americans.

OK, so who likes Brits?

Fact 2. Brits excel at whining (sure you don't mean winning)

I'm sure.

Fact 3. Thai divers were right there with the Brits.

I think it will be validated soon.

Fact 1 - Thais, at the moment.

Fact 2 - we're good at many things

Fact 3 - behind not with.

Whining usually involves stating facts. How accurate the facts are is often debatable. 

No one has said the Brits did it without help. They were probably organizing things in the cave while the Americans are probably leading the effort to find another way in from the other direction. The Thais will also have contributed to both efforts along with other teams brought in. At the end of the day it was the small British team that found them. Not by luck or because it was their turn. Out of around a thousand people involved they were the best at getting through the cave. This in no way means any of the other rescuers are less valuable just that their skills did not get the result. Now the search goes on for a way to get the boys out which may be found by another team making them the heros.

5 hours ago, Mainhattencitizen said:

Forget it, they did not learn anything from the Tsunami years ago, why should they start to learn now.

Please don't turn this into a Thai bash thread.

The Thai navy seals were in quick and effectively moved tons of necessary gear into place.

Medical teams and hospitals have been on high alert. Drills were run to make sure everything runs smoothly.

It has been a massive multi-national effort.

10 hours ago, kannot said:

British to the last ?

The BBC reports that the South and Mid Wales Cave Rescue Team have declined to comment on the rescue, while the British Cave Rescue Council, a representative body for cave rescuers in the UK said it does not name rescuers it sends to operations to "allow them to get on with their difficult task without distraction".

D.png.1b6a49b8ace4726b62f70685778a408d.p    duanebigsby has replied    Show Reply

32 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

If you read some of the foreign news reports, the Brits were first through and they had ropes behind them, to get the Thai SEALS through to the destination. One of these guys is said to be the premier rescue cave diver within Europe, with decades of experience in this type of operation and has bravery medals received already.

Congratulations to all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I presume you are replying to Sydebolle not me as you are expanding on my reply.

5 hours ago, JimInPattaya said:

First: Thanks to the Brit divers and ALL of the other divers and helpers for their selfless and heroic efforts.

Second: The article about these Brits on Bangkokjack.com was written by a writter who somehow has portrayed them as the lone heroes to save the day when they were just the lucky ones out of so many other heroic divers to pop up from under the water and to be the first to see the boys. Hate that website for the drivel they spew as news. But I suppose there isn't anything else that can I expect from a Brit with a highly overvalued sense of worth and self importance with 18 books about subjects that most people could care less.

These particular guys have a track record of finding people lost in caves, with experience built up over several decades. That they found the kids was not random, and I say that with no disrespect to the Thai and others involved. Sometimes experience counts. 

As for a country with an overvalued sense of worth, I have a sneaking suspicion it might actually be yours?

Something niggled you ? Hahaah get over it

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

27 minutes ago, Julie H said:

Word is Vern went off on his own looking for other entrances on the surface and in opposite direction to search teams 

I think you'll find Vern was an integral part of the rescue effort and still is.

Don't forget that they still have to get the kids and coach out so Vern is probably using his knowledge of tbe area with locals knowledgeable of the area to look for other routes into the cave system.

He's not Billy-no-mates, off on his own. This is a Thai-led operation with expert assistance from many other countries.

3 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

I'm unaware of any US seals involved in this rescue.  The US team were in charge of other aspects, such as technological site surveys and advising for the drillers, and were not seals--unless I am still in the dark about things.

If they were involved with technological site surveys and advising for the drillers, they were part of the effort.

The effort covered some things that may not have been used, but were none the less part of the rescue plans.

8 minutes ago, grollies said:

I think you'll find Vern was an integral part of the rescue effort and still is.

Don't forget that they still have to get the kids and coach out so Vern is probably using his knowledge of tbe area with locals knowledgeable of the area to look for other routes into the cave system.

He's not Billy-no-mates, off on his own. This is a Thai-led operation with expert assistance from many other countries.

On Thai television news today I saw a picture of him smiling. Looked about 10 years younger than in the news interview last Tuesday.

23 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

Yes agree, a huge massive international effort. No one group found the boys. They all did and thanks!

Quite right and well done to the Thai rescue co-ordinators for pulling the expertise together for a great result.

Nothing to do with 'face' here, just professionals recognising expertise and using it to best effect.

As a Brit, I couldn't care less where the experts come from, they could be from outer Mongolia and I would still feel the ssme.

1 minute ago, overherebc said:

Most likely the americans are looking for ways to sue someone or arm them or apply tarrifs.

While quite hilarious your response, the US team didn't come with the political baggage you want to bestow upon them.

Nor any of the international teams. They were looking for a bunch of kids. Good grief!

5 hours ago, Julie H said:

Lets not get too self righteous guys. We have already enough ugliness from lonely, isolated, bitter fellow expatriates throughout the last week 

I guess some people can't take a joke....

13 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

While quite hilarious your response, the US team didn't come with the political baggage you want to bestow upon them.

Nor any of the international teams. They were looking for a bunch of kids. Good grief!

True, just trying to point out the stupid comments people make based on nationality.

3 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

ok, fair enough, the joke went over my head.

Sorry to you.

Just sometimes I have a bad habit of being flippant with comments and end up having to say sorry and explain.

You must admit though some posters on here are so easy to wind up.

11 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Well done lads! Brave men who are willing to risk their own safety to save others in dire need. A superhuman effort by all involved. 

The Derbyshire rescuers are well experienced in potholing as Derbyshire's got lots of them,lots of people die in them & these same brave blokes have to go & retrieve the body's for the family's,I think it's voluntary work as they all have full time jobs ie firemen,they must love danger & excitement also helping others,you wouldn't catch me in a pothole & there's not a lot of things i'm scared of,fair play to the blokes,I hope they get a months all expenses paid holiday in thailand,but if the government won't pay it I think the grateful family's will & I bet they will have a great time in the village being treated like kings

Archived