Thai boys trapped in cave to be given 4 months of food and taught how to dive

webfact

Thai boys trapped in cave to be given 4 months of food and taught how to dive

06e2c175e5cf441fa0cd6d595345c6ef-sld.jpg

File photo//The Nation - Thai NavySEAL / Facebook

Twelve boys and their football coach who are trapped in the Tham Luang cave in Chiang Rai will be given four months of food and taught how to dive.

"(We will) prepare to send additional food to be sustained for at least four months and train all 13 to dive while continuing to drain the water," a spokesperson for the Thai military confirmed.

The group have been trapped in the Tham Luang caves for 10 days but were located by British cave diving experts at approximately 9.45pm local time on Monday night.

But after the group was found, the emphasis shifted on how to get them out of the gave.

Currently the group are thought to be around 3 kilometers from the entrance to the cave.

Experts had warned that it could be months before the group the were able to leave the cave.

Thai media reported that two Navy Seal doctors had already volunteered to say with the group for however long was needed before they could be returned to safety.

2018-07-03T020518Z_1_LYNXMPEE6204A_RTROPTP_4_THAILAND-ACCIDENT-CAVE.JPG

Boys from an under-16 soccer team and their coach wait to be rescued after they were trapped inside a flooded cave in Chiang Rai, Thailand, July 3, 2018, in this still image taken from a Thai Navy Seal handout video. Thai Navy Seal Facebook/Handout via REUTERS

Anmar Mirza, the US National Cave Rescue Commission coordinator told Sky News: "Trying to take non-divers through a cave is one of the most dangerous situations possible, even if the dives are relatively easy."

He said that "if the dives are difficult then supply(ing the group on site) will be difficult, but the risk of trying to dive them out is also exponentially greater."

The news comes after video footage showed the moment the group were discovered by rescuers.

The video features the voices of two British divers who ask the group:

"How many of you?" 

"13", one of the boys replies. 

"Brilliant".

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-07-03

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One solution to get the boys to safety would be to make a rescue capsule, so that the boys can be towed through the muddy waters.

Cigar shaped capsule, with own air supply inside, including a pressure release valve. 

Lights both inside and outside for comfort and security. 

Rescue divers should be able to tow the capsule through the cave, the same way they managed to get in.

Similar to this, but naturally water tight.

con-bri-01-image04.jpg.a9769c12fb08ab6d206f980ab23f3a75.jpg

2 minutes ago, oilinki said:

One solution to get the boys to safety would be to make a rescue capsule, so that the boys can be towed through the muddy waters.

Cigar shaped capsule, with own air supply inside, including a pressure release valve. 

Lights both inside and outside for comfort and security. 

Rescue divers should be able to tow the capsule through the cave, the same way they managed to get in.

Similar to this, but naturally water tight.

con-bri-01-image04.jpg.a9769c12fb08ab6d206f980ab23f3a75.jpg

Nice.. but did you think about the fact that this is a cave and not all passages are easy to make. The divers even had to take of their gear at some time. So an inflexible object like that is not going to work in my opinion. Unless of course they will widen such passages.

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Nice.. but did you think about the fact that this is a cave and not all passages are easy to make. The divers even had to take of their gear at some time. So an inflexible object like that is not going to work in my opinion. Unless of course they will widen such passages.

I didn't know that the divers had to take their gears off. That makes the rescue operation way more difficult. Perhaps it would be possible to make the rescue capsule flexible? 

The idea is to have the kids inside, so that even if they would panic during the rescue operation, they couldn't harm themselves, like taking the full diving mask away.

1 minute ago, oilinki said:

I didn't know that the divers had to take their gears off. That makes the rescue operation way more difficult. Perhaps it would be possible to make the rescue capsule flexible? 

The idea is to have the kids inside, so that even if they would panic during the rescue operation, they couldn't harm themselves, like taking the full diving mask away.

I read about it in one of the news articles that at some passages they had to take the tank off. That gives a good indication of how small the passages are. I like your idea but i don't think its practical in this scenario unless they widen passages. 

What I don't understand is (but I don't know where they exactly are) that they don't drill. Of course if they are too deep under that might take a long time too.

I guess they take the 4 months of food to them in the event there is a deluge and they cannot be reached in the interim. Sounds easy that they can get them out but obviously it must be really tricky if one option is a plan to wait it out. Four months waiting: OMG, I think the psychological stresses would be horrendous.

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

What I don't understand is (but I don't know where they exactly are) that they don't drill. Of course if they are too deep under that might take a long time too.

I understood the part of the cave they are, is too small to drill to, without putting the kids to further danger. I assume that during final meters of drilling, it's possible that the part of the ceiling of the cave will collapse.

Providing the kids 4 months of supplies is a good first response. That way they are likely to survive, even if some parts of the tunnels to them would collapse at some point.

Operation to rescue footballers a success but not over yet: governor

By Pratch Rujivanarom 
The Nation

c370eb55015a7f17f8ac29e1f9678772.jpeg

File photo : Narongsak

Operation to rescue footballers a success but not over yet: governor

The operation to rescue the 13 missing Mu Pa Academy football club members was a success, the head of the mission declared on Tuesday after all 13 members were found alive on Monday night on a ledge in the Tham Luang cave in Chiang Rai province following a marathon search operation. 

However, Chiang Rai Governor Narongsak Osottanakorn, who heads the operation, said there were still challenges ahead in bringing them out of the flooded cave in Mae Sai district.

The 12 boys and their deputy football coach, who have been missing since June 23, were found by two British divers in a drama that has gripped the nation.

The governor said the initial estimates of the health of the team members showed they were fine.

“From the video clip shot when the British divers found the boys, they looked exhausted given the fact that they were there without food and water for many days. If we had to choose between green as the best, yellow, and red the worst, they look to be green,” Narongsak said.

It is reported that 16 Navy SEAL divers have been sent to the location, called Nern Nom Sao slope, to stay with the boys to keep tabs on their health and prepare them for evacuation. The divers took some special food such as power gel and water for them. 

Narongsak said the process to prepare the boys for evacuation will take a few days and the best way is still being considered. “They will be taken out of the cave, when it is safe enough. The challenge now will be to bring them out safely, as rising water and mud are impeding access.”

Meanwhile, other efforts to access the cave such as through drilling, and finding alternative passages, as well as draining water out of the cave, will continue. 

The governor thanked both Thai and international volunteers for their dedication in this operation, which he had earlier described as mission impossible.

The governor praised and gave credits to two British cave diving experts who found the missing team. He did not mention the names but it is understood to be John Volanthen and Richard Stanton.

He appreciated the personnel and equipment support received from the US, the UK, China, Russia, Belgium, Japan, Laos and Israel.

“The crucial factors that made this operation a success were the well organised cooperation and management,” he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30349191

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-07-03

some very small kids in this group. some sort of smaller custom tank and regulator with a long hose?

the focus will be on not panicking, keeping your mask on and what to do if your mask gets flooded.

if they rig up a harness the kids can be pulled though and all they need to do is breathe and not freak out. 

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

What I don't understand is (but I don't know where they exactly are) that they don't drill. Of course if they are too deep under that might take a long time too

From another source the head of the US cave rescue commision indicated the problems with drilling would be; 

The need to construct roads, infrastructure to get drilling rigs in.

The need for a complete cave survey to pinpoint the boys actual location. Otherwise it would be difficult be sure where to drill.

He called it "A needle in a haystack problem".

Hopefully there is other options, and the cigar tank, would be quite difficult to manouver, since you need it water tight, airsystem, and right buoyancy, and I guess that would make the tricky part. Anyway, it could possible be done, if you limit the volume on the tank, but still a high tech system that have many possibillities where it can go wrong. 

The best thing now, is to start training them, get them strong and healthy, keep them cleen and in strong positive mood. Training them will keep their mind busy, so it is a good idea, even it is not going to happen. 

18 minutes ago, BigBadGeordie said:

From another source the head of the US cave rescue commision indicated the problems with drilling would be; 

The need to construct roads, infrastructure to get drilling rigs in.

The need for a complete cave survey to pinpoint the boys actual location. Otherwise it would be difficult be sure where to drill.

He called it "A needle in a haystack problem".

I would think now they have the exact location.. Im sure there are devices that can send a transmission through rock so that an other device that pics it up can pinpoint the exact location. Yes the roads and infrastructure would be a problem.

28 minutes ago, oilinki said:

I understood the part of the cave they are, is too small to drill to, without putting the kids to further danger. I assume that during final meters of drilling, it's possible that the part of the ceiling of the cave will collapse.

Providing the kids 4 months of supplies is a good first response. That way they are likely to survive, even if some parts of the tunnels to them would collapse at some point.

It might be possible to drill an access shaft away from where they are but close enough to perform a safe extraction, or if possible - drill a hole low enough somewhere in the cave complex to the outside and completely drain the water, obviously the terrain would paly a part but it does look hilly from what I have seen and the water must be flowing somewhere already or if it isn't then does that mean that the cave complex could fill completely if it rained hard enough !!!!!!!!!!

41 minutes ago, hansnl said:

As expected.

Found, and alive!

Will take a bloody long time to get them out.

If I'm honest I'd have to say hope was wearing a little thin; especially if they'd

not taken any food with them.Still, thank goodness for the positive outcome.

Boys trapped in Thai cave must learn to dive or wait months to be rescued

Yahoo7 and agencies

Twelve boys and their soccer coach found alive after 10 days trapped deep inside a flooded cave must learn to dive or endure several months waiting to be rescued, the country’s army says.

The governor of Chiang Rai province said on Tuesday rescue workers are trying to work out how to remove the boys safely.

According to the Thai military, the children could be supplied with food and medical supplies that could last at least four months as they wait for floodwaters to subside, the BBC reported.

Full story: https://au.news.yahoo.com/boys-trapped-thai-cave-must-learn-dive-wait-months-rescued-025354016.html

-- YAHOO! NEWS  2018-2018-07-03

33 minutes ago, yrag said:

Glory..Glory Hallelujah ... Prayers have been answered..Tears of Joy & Happiness

It has nothing to do with "prayers", but with hard work and technology and science!

Fantastic news, can't say i was really optimistic all the time though.

One thing i don't understand about the plan now for getting them out, they are talking about 4 months to get them out. 10 years ago i did the PADI course here in Thailand, 4 days to qualify as an open water diver. I know it is a totally different situation, not open water, extremely limited channels to navigate and zero visibility, but 4 months?

I am sure and hopeful that when they start the rescue phase it will go a lot more quickly and smoothly than they are anticipating now, Well done to all the emergency services and everyone else involved, now get those kids back to their families

I also think that leaning to dive is one thing and very easy in a swimming pool but what they will be asking them to do requires a very high level of training confidence and expertise, I peronall do not think that is an option......JMO

In water were you cannot see your hand in front of your face !!!!!!!!!!

Trapped footballers survived by lying still, drinking dripping water

By The Nation

Twelve young footballers and their assistant coach survived being trapped for 10 days in Tham Luang Cave in Chiang Rai by minimizing their movements and drinking water that dripped from limestone.

A rescuer, Supat Khamsueb, said on his Facebook wall that he monitored radio conversations between Navy Seal troops and the trapped boys.

He said the Navy Seal rescuers asked the boys how they survived and they replied that they tried to lie still and drank water that dripped through the limestone in the cave.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30349193

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-07-03

Archived