Thai boys trapped in cave to be given 4 months of food and taught how to dive

webfact

7 minutes ago, Geordieabroad said:

Fantastic news, can't say i was really optimistic all the time though.

One thing i don't understand about the plan now for getting them out, they are talking about 4 months to get them out. 10 years ago i did the PADI course here in Thailand, 4 days to qualify as an open water diver. I know it is a totally different situation, not open water, extremely limited channels to navigate and zero visibility, but 4 months?

I am sure and hopeful that when they start the rescue phase it will go a lot more quickly and smoothly than they are anticipating now, Well done to all the emergency services and everyone else involved, now get those kids back to their families

I'm a padi divermaster, which means that I'm qualified to lead the dives and taking care of the safety of other divers, well used to be anyway. That is only on open water, where the escape route is always up.

I couldn't do the dives, these cave divers do. That's entirely different world and requires huge cajones, even in optimal circumstances. 

Yes, it would be possible to put a full mask to these kids and then guide them through the tunnel. It's possible, but very risky as being in muddy water with low visibility, going though small places can easily lead to panic. When people are in panic, their ability to think well vanishes and they behave in irrational ways. Ripping off the mask from their face, start kicking and hitting people who try to help them etc. One part of the divemaster course is to understand that sometime it's best to save one life, than let both divers to die..

I hope we'll get further detailed information of the route which leads to the kids. Then it would be easier to think about options which the rescuers have as they have to decide the best way to go forward. 

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Search for alternative exits to rescue trapped team

59481e27373ec6374946420ebffd4911.jpeg

Rear Adm Arpakorn Yukongkaew, commander of the Navy SEAL Command

Rescue teams will continue to search for alternative exits for the 12 footballers and their assistant coach as the only escape route through the cave is still flooded, a senior Navy officer said on Tuesday.

Rear Adm Arpakorn Yukongkaew, commander of the Navy SEAL Command, said the cave's main exit has several narrow areas that remained flooded and are impassable for anyone not trained in diving.

He said rescuers have given the footballers high-calorie gels to restore their strength and may attempt to teach them to dive.

Divers are expected to lead a doctor to the area to give the team members a physical examination later on Tuesday.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30349195

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-07-03

40 minutes ago, DM07 said:

It has nothing to do with "prayers", but with hard work and technology and science!

In addition to God, let's not forget all the Tree, Animal, and misc. Jungle spirits.   

Hopefully whatever happens now, it doesn't end in some collapse or accident involving compressed air tanks.

So fantastic they have been found alive. Sincerely hope they can be got out safely. They don’t really need an entire dive course - just some basics and confidence to be underwater with a mask. Very hard for these kids who may not even know how to swim, and terrible water conditions. 

Tham Luang 13 To Get Months Of Supplies, Scuba Training

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

36418906_1625449647578428_59967769838564

Rescue divers search Tham Luang Nang Non on June 29. Photo: Thai NavySEAL / Facebook

CHIANG RAI — As the Navy SEALs say, the easy day was yesterday.

As Thailand and the world cheer the news about 12 young footballers and their coach being found alive deep inside a northern cave complex, officials said the hardest part of their rescue operation – getting them out safely – could take months.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/calamity/2018/07/03/tham-luang-13-to-get-months-of-supplies-scuba-training/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-07-03

3 minutes ago, Bangna Betty said:

So fantastic they have been found alive. Sincerely hope they can be got out safely. They don’t really need an entire dive course - just some basics and confidence to be underwater with a mask. Very hard for these kids who may not even know how to swim, and terrible water conditions. 

You make a good point about just needing the basics & confidence. 

They probably wouldn't even need to swim since they'll be able to pull themselves along using the guide rope.  If they're trained to pull "hand-over-hand" there'll be little risk of them trying to pull off their mask.. and of course a fully trained rescue diver immediately in front and another right behind to provide assistance.

Must surely be better than having to stay upto 4 months until the wet season finishes and the water level subsides.... 4 months where they (and others) are exposed to many other risks.

The cave divers know what they are doing. Patience and having a backup of the food and air supply. I am PADI scuba instructor and have some some cave diving which is dangerous even for experienced divers. Often have to take the rig off to get around a corner or through a small hole. Teaching the youngsters is the right thing, will help them stay calm in tight situation. Panic is quick to happen and is the cause of many scuba problems, especially with novices. Having all those Thai SEALS is a very reassuring thing for those young lads, and they will be with them as close buddies during the eventual egress.

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

some very small kids in this group. some sort of smaller custom tank and regulator with a long hose?

the focus will be on not panicking, keeping your mask on and what to do if your mask gets flooded.

if they rig up a harness the kids can be pulled though and all they need to do is breathe and not freak out. 

Nice point. IMHO the major item to be taken very seriously is panic.

On the other hand it would be natural that they are seriously / perhaps even internally panicking to be out. so I wonder whether 4 more months in the dark, in the cave is just not the best idea.

As other have said /asked, what's the progress with drilling down one of the natural fissurest. Seems to me best world class modern equipment would be capable of drilling fairly quickly.

Then pull them out in a capsule. Given their ages I wonder whether they should aim for a capsule big enough for a trained Thai adult (so no language barriers), plus one teenager. Seems to me being alone in a capsule going up several hundred metres would be terrifying.

They're already been through a very harrowing experience, best to devise an extraction method that's as calm as possible. 

It's an advantage that these are young boys, neither large-bodied, nor fat (since they both cycle and play football).

A tunnel that might be a tight squeeze for an adult, may well be more easily tackled by these boys.  (The British who found them are Western adults, with body sizes quite a bit larger than these Thai boys).

Might have to leave the adult coach behind though ... ?

5 minutes ago, poohy said:

reading the above .......Sounds like their nightmare is far from over.

Yes, I must confess that I was shocked when I read the headline that four months' worth of food might need to be sent down to these poor kids. I had not expected the boys to be stuck down there for anything like that length of time. It is horrible to contemplate. Let's hope that things can be resolved much more swiftly than that.

The good thing is that these young boys seem very bright and in good spirits - and the company of many supportive faces around them now should help their self-confidence and optimism a great deal. 

I believe a way will be found and that these brave young kids will all be brought out into daylight and safety. I think all our hearts go out to them in this horrendous ordeal. I don't think I would be as cool, calm and collected as these incredibly courageous young guys are (as we see from the video). Every hat off to them and all possible respect.

If it takes another 4 months- so be it!

Get them out safe!

Now that they are located and can be provided with light, food, shelter, clothes and any kind of support, things will progress any what way!

Don't pull any stunt, that puts lives in danger, again!

2 hours ago, robblok said:

I read about it in one of the news articles that at some passages they had to take the tank off. That gives a good indication of how small the passages are. I like your idea but i don't think its practical in this scenario unless they widen passages. 

What I don't understand is (but I don't know where they exactly are) that they don't drill. Of course if they are too deep under that might take a long time too.

What would they do about all the rock falling onto the boys from the drilling you suggest?

Just now, Just Weird said:

What would they do about all the rock falling onto the boys from the drilling you suggest?

That kinda depends where they drill.. anyone suggesting that they would drill above the boys is crazy.

I don't know the cave layout.. so I can't be sure, but I assume the cave still goes on, maybe they can drill away from the boys at a place that they can reach by land but far enough so its not dangerous. But if that is possible depends on the cave layout and I don't know that exact layout. I do know that the boys are NOT at the end of the cave. I don't know how hard it is to go deeper and if the drilling options are better deeper in.

Thai boys trapped in cave  have to first build strength, learn scuba techniques

By The Nation

PNSOC610702001011803.jpg

FILE photo

Thai and foreign dive teams believe the 12 young footballers and their coach may need at least two days to build up adequate strength and skills for the sustained dive out of Tham Luang Cave, a rescue mission source said on Tuesday.

The source noted that the footballers were in the care of Navy Seals and receiving nourishment, but they were not yet receiving medical attention.

It is expected that the 13 will undergo scuba training on Wednesday with the Seals and experts from Britain and the US.

They will also need to undergo a medical examination and it’s likely to be at least two days before they are strong enough to be evacuated.

Chinese divers have been assigned to build a pulley system to facilitate the movement of gear and other necessities into the cave.

With the Meteorological Department forecasting heavy rain in Chiang Rai on Wednesday and Thursday, the source said, a contingency plan is ready in case the water level rises again.

Food and drinking water is being stocked up, sufficient for three or four more days.

As of Wednesday morning, 70 oxygen tanks had been transported to the location where the footballers were stranded, beyond the area known as “Pattaya Beach”. Another 30 tanks are to be taken in, the source added.

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-07-03

1 hour ago, Geordieabroad said:

Fantastic news, can't say i was really optimistic all the time though.

One thing i don't understand about the plan now for getting them out, they are talking about 4 months to get them out. 10 years ago i did the PADI course here in Thailand, 4 days to qualify as an open water diver. I know it is a totally different situation, not open water, extremely limited channels to navigate and zero visibility, but 4 months?

I am sure and hopeful that when they start the rescue phase it will go a lot more quickly and smoothly than they are anticipating now, Well done to all the emergency services and everyone else involved, now get those kids back to their families

I believe it says learn to dive ‘or’ wait 4 months. 

Now they have been located, drill down to a proximate cave with pinpoint accuracy and extract them like Los 33 in Chile. Alternatively, wait until November and walk them out. The cave could be made suitably comfortable for a 4 month hole-up.

They can not risk even one boy panicking and drowning during a dive. I'm sure unless there is another way those boys will be there until dry season . They didn't bring in 4 months of food if they were confident

They can do it with food and water but is where they are now safe from further flooding?

2 hours ago, robblok said:

What I don't understand is (but I don't know where they exactly are) that they don't drill. Of course if they are too deep under that might take a long time too.

I am hoping that in the same way after the mass of rescue solutions that were proffered 10 days ago before the foreign rescue divers logistically supported by Thai navy SEALS were ultimately chosen to lead the successful search, the need to clear a drill site above the most viable rescue point, bring in the experts and the gear and drill down and extract as they did in Chile. I understand that the formations above are limestone and that's hard drilling but the technology and the professionals to do it are out there and it shouldn't take 4 months either.

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I am hoping that in the same way after the mass of rescue solutions that were proffered 10 days ago before the foreign rescue divers logistically supported by Thai navy SEALS were ultimately chosen to lead the successful search, the need to clear a drill site above the most viable rescue point, bring in the experts and the gear and drill down and extract as they did in Chile. I understand that the formations above are limestone and that's hard drilling but the technology and the professionals to do it are out there and it shouldn't take 4 months either.

I think the main difference between drilling here and in Chile is that Chile's mine was well mapped and it was possible to create accurate 3D map of the mine.

There are no accurate maps of this cave and to make accurate maps, through submerged sections of the cave is difficult. 

But I guess they start doing that as well, so that there are several options to be chosen from.

Stupid question.
Where and what is the water source going into the cave system?  What is the volume?

(I am now a Tuesday keyboard expert ...555)

IMO... Redirect the water source away from the cave entrance and PUMP, PUMP, PUMP! 

The drilling from above is seemingly much more work.
Pulling the kids through using diving equipment seems risky, but if one of them has life threatening issues, ok.

Archived