Denied at DMK because too many visas on arrival

I have 5 visa on entry trips a year , 30 days with return flight evidence and lots of €’s in my bag to show if questioned. I have been doing this for 4 years now. I was never questioned, but I have read so many reports on this that I always get slightly nervous on arrival.

This year I emailed the Thai consulate in my own country, Ireland, and received an assurance that I was doing nothin wrong. On my last trip, having completed the departure procedure I went to the Immigration desk and specifically asked if I would have a problem continuing this practice . They inspected my passport and assured me that would be fine. How come I’m still nervous... because it’s Thailand. 

• Like 1

My understanding is that Visa on Arrival is restricted to 3 months in any six month rolling period.

This data is stored in the immigration computer and is accessed by the immigration officer on arrival. As the period is 30 days per entry if you have already been in the country for 2.5 months in the last six months and you turn up at immigration you need to show them that you are leaving within two weeks. I have been told more than once that "the computer says that you need a visa for your next trip".

3 minutes ago, drrobert said:

My understanding is that Visa on Arrival is restricted to 3 months in any six month rolling period.

Not sure there is such a restriction for a 15 day visa on arrival that has a fee of 2000 baht to get.

I think you are writing about a 30 day visa exempt entry. The police order limiting them to 90 days in 6 months was rescinded in 2008.

19 hours ago, darrendsd said:

People are proving to Immigration at the Airport that they are not working here but are still being denied, it seems once their mind is made up that is it no matter what you show them

This one didn't prove that he wasn't working here.  Who are the ones who have proved that?

This happened to me last week in DMK too. He printed all the times I entered and left Thailand and counted the days I had been gone. He said you can only be here 6 months a year. I had been out of the country only 2 months in a year. 

He just asked me for a return ticket to either EU or U.S (I'm an EU national). Then he let me in. While I was buying my return ticket a Malaysian guy had the same problem. He told me he would deny him entry. And it sounded to me that he would just because he was from Malaysia and not from a "rich" country.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, tumama said:

This happened to me last week in DMK too. He printed all the times I entered and left Thailand and counted the days I had been gone. He said you can only be here 6 months a year. I had been out of the country only 2 months in a year. 

He just asked me for a return ticket to either EU or U.S (I'm an EU national). Then he let me in. While I was buying my return ticket a Malaysian guy had the same problem. He told me he would deny him entry. And it sounded to me that he would just because he was from Malaysia and not from a "rich" country.

6 month in one year was taken off the books a few years ago.

That rule does not apply any more.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, freddel08 said:

I'm staying in for 18 months with only visas on arrival+extensions doing visa run away every two months.

22 hours ago, freddel08 said:

2. "The holder of this passport travels to Thailand under a tourist visa several times which may result in refusal of visa in the future"

So 2. is not true if you had not had a tourist visa before.

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

6 month in one year was taken off the books a few years ago.

That rule does not apply any more.

As I understand it, the old rule was 90 days in each six month period, and was (as you say) rescinded about 10 years ago. However, I strongly suspect six months in one year is being used as one of the unofficial criteria officials use when using their discretion (given them in about mid 2014) on whether to deny entry to those trying to enter visa exempt.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, freddel08 said:

I've tried to explain that I didn't work in Thailand but it seems that they didn't understand or didn't want to understand.....

LOL....Welcome to Thailand!

Edited by ubonjoe
Oversized emoticon removed
  • Like 2

At the end of the day, with over 15 million stories entering Thailand yearly, unfortunately I don't think it matters what explanations we give. I used to enter via tourist visas for 2.5 years, knowing well I was gambling with time. Ended up getting a TE, even though I didn't know how long I'd stay. If you can afford it, I highly recommend it. As a financial analyst you know it makes sense - I mean you even have a car here. I don't know many short term tourists with such a financial commitment as a car; a bike okay. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, poanoi said:

what i did was to go live in cambodia until i finally turned 50,

but i dont recommend cambodia, tis a shithole with nuffin innit.

if you are somewhat fit, go live in caribbean,

many islands there belongs to holland/France and thus EU,

so theres zero visa hassle but still tropical beaches

Sound advice.

2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

So 2. is not true if you had not had a tourist visa before.

Correct I used only VOA for 18 months but I've spent at least two months abroad between each entry.

As well the reason of being denied on my report was "he doesn't have money" which is not accurate too since I showed them 600 euros and 4000THB.

44 minutes ago, mduras01 said:

At the end of the day, with over 15 million stories entering Thailand yearly, unfortunately I don't think it matters what explanations we give. I used to enter via tourist visas for 2.5 years, knowing well I was gambling with time. Ended up getting a TE, even though I didn't know how long I'd stay. If you can afford it, I highly recommend it. As a financial analyst you know it makes sense - I mean you even have a car here. I don't know many short term tourists with such a financial commitment as a car; a bike okay. 

Yes now I consider the option TE

One point is the very first post is that he said the 'waiting to leave room' my expression, had 20 other gents in it.

'If' that's a typical day at DMK it means around 140 are denied entry every week unless it includes ex IDC residents who have managed to get a flight home organised.

Obviously many are not aware of TV or are regular TV posters telling their story here.

Would be interesting to hear the OP's guestimate on nationalities of the 20 gents.

• Like 1

op: the good days are over. like yourself i managed to "live" here quite long with TR's as from age 37 til it became too much of a pain. now i stay 4 month a year in thailand (2x 2 months TR) and the rest i spend in spain. i know my money is missed as i was quite generous (no cheap charlie) but so be it. in 5 years i'm 50 so i'll be back ? oh and i'm not married nor even interested in a thai wife, imagine!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

One point is the very first post is that he said the 'waiting to leave room' my expression, had 20 other gents in it.

'If' that's a typical day at DMK it means around 140 are denied entry every week unless it includes ex IDC residents who have managed to get a flight home organised.

Obviously many are not aware of TV or are regular TV posters telling their story here.

Would be interesting to hear the OP's guestimate on nationalities of the 20 gents.

When I arrived with the Malaysian that was also denied the room was filled with people from India and I guess they came from the same flight. They left during the night. I also had a Chinese that came for business with VOA too many time. Another guy from Burma that was praying aloud all the night.

By the way, the agents that from airasia who brought me back to the plane told me that it wasn't usual for him to expel farangs.

Edited by freddel08
  • Like 2

Fly to Vientiane, Laos, and come in via land border with a tourist visa. Extend to 3 months. After that use visa run companies (e.g. thaivisaservice, first hit on Google, that's a reliable one) that take you to Laos and back by vehicle, helping you get a tourist visa, and helping you get through the border - they have a contact that they give 20 passports to to quickly approve while you wait in the van. 3 months again, every time you do that. After doing that a few times consider an Ed visa, and /or changing your passport, it can still help even if they still have access to all your entrances and exits, for it to look fresh on first inspection so they don't dig further. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Maestro said:

For the record: Living, ie being alive, in Thailand with a permission to stay received for the purpose of tourism is not illegal.

Agree, not illegal, but clearly a tourist visa or visa exempt entry is not meant for living in a country.

• Like 1

What about working out of the country for 6-8 weeks, then back in country for 7-10 days. Repeat on a continuous basis..

Am I living in Thailand ? Am I having several holidays each year in Thailand ?

I'm married to a Thai, who does live in Thailand...

In my mind, visa exempts are a viable option and also not "illegal" 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

What about working out of the country for 6-8 weeks, then back in country for 7-10 days. Repeat on a continuous basis..

Am I living in Thailand ? Am I having several holidays each year in Thailand ?

I'm married to a Thai, who does live in Thailand...

In my mind, visa exempts are a viable option and also not "illegal" 

Why confuse the issue? The case at hand is easy: OP is living in Thailand on visa exempts. Not illegal, but frowned upon by Thai immigration, and it seems more and more so, so no surprise this couldn't last.

But in your case, let's say you're from England. If married to a English girl, working abroad for 6-8 weeks and returning again for 7-10 days, would you in your mind be living in England?

Edited by stevenl

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Why confuse the issue? The case at hand is easy: OP is living in Thailand on visa exempts. Not illegal, but frowned upon by Thai immigration, and it seems more and more so, so no surprise this couldn't last.

But in your case, let's say you're from England. If married to a English girl, working abroad for 6-8 weeks and returning again for 7-10 days, would you in your mind be living in England?

Hardly confusing the issue.. We are talking about continuous use of tourist visas and visa exempts.

Your example above is not relevant, as I would not need anything as a U.K national, vice versa if I was a Thai national here.

If I class myself as living in Thailand, is there anything wrong with using visa exempts, if my visits are 10 days at a time ?? That's what visa exempts are for, no ?

2 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Hardly confusing the issue.. We are talking about continuous use of tourist visas and visa exempts.

Your example above is not relevant, as I would not need anything as a U.K national, vice versa if I was a Thai national here.

If I class myself as living in Thailand, is there anything wrong with using visa exempts, if my visits are 10 days at a time ?? That's what visa exempts are for, no ?

"Your example above is not relevant, as I would not need anything as a U.K national, vice versa if I was a Thai national here."

Disagree, it is relevant, since it is about the principle of living location.

"confusing the issue"

Also disagree here, since it is distracting from the OP.

Edited by stevenl

4 minutes ago, stevenl said:

"Your example above is not relevant, as I would not need anything as a U.K national, vice versa if I was a Thai national here."

Disagree, it is relevant, since it is about the principle of living location.

"confusing the issue"

Also disagree here, since it is distracting from the OP.

So no answer ?? I don't need a visa to live in U.K, so irrelevant.

We are now on page 6 of the thread, original post is not being confused by my question about the same subject..

If you have an answer, rather than just a Prayut type reply/question, I would be interested to hear it.

Are visa exempts ok to use for 10 day stays, every 2 months ??

2 minutes ago, Mattd said:

I think that in these cases, the term living means where a person is based or resident for the majority of the time.

When I was working offshore on a equal time basis, then pretty much every leave was spent in Thailand, I was married, had a car, house, children etc. so in my mind I was living in Thailand.

In those days this could be done on VE entries even with the odd overstay thrown in.

Nowadays immigration and / or government policy are taking a different view, in that continuous VE entries are resulting in denying entry in some cases, less are those doing rotations, most of these cases seem to be those who do the entries back to back or very close to each other and this is likely because it does look suspicious on how you support yourself in those situations, this is a country where a very low percentage of people could do this without working, can they do this lawfully, yes, of course they can.

To be fair to the system, they do have it such that pretty much anyone can 'live' here full time if they so want to, those over 50 can do so based on retirement, those who are married or have children can do and those under 50, unmarried with no children do have the option of purchasing TE, which after all is a government scheme, is it expensive, yes, but, perhaps to their way of thinking, if you can afford to stay in Thailand without working at a youngish age, then why can you not afford this.

When I'm on time for time rotation, I get a multi entry Non O visa. As majority of my off time would be in Thailand, same situation as yours.

However, this contract (which sucks) is not time for time, so with short 10 day visits, I'm opting to use VE entries. No problem so far, 3 entries this year. But last time they did start to question me about return flights etc. Thinking next month that I might get some grief ??