Denied at DMK because too many visas on arrival

4 hours ago, terryofcrete said:

I was stopped today. First time .. so many stamps all under 30 days and no overstays . I explained politely that I come and go up to 5 trips s year under 30 days. Showed them an email from the Thai consulate in Ireland saying that is ok. ..the only question they asked after that was have I got a Thai wife. Oh I told them I always have money and told them I had 2500 € .. they did not ask to see it. When they said it was all ok.. I said but what about next time ? Am I doing something wrong I'd be happy for you to tell me.. no nothing is wrong and I went on my merry way . Hope that helps .

So basically you stay around 5 months per year in Thailand entering with VE without any visa run right ?

On 2/19/2019 at 4:16 AM, terryofcrete said:

the only question they asked after that was have I got a Thai wife.

i assume you don't have a thai wife ?  did you mention a thai GF ?  i've always thought it was best to say no wife, no GF.  just a tourist coming to see the sites, enjoy the warm weather, food, etc... 

did the IO suggest getting tourist visa's in the future, even though your trips are less than 30 days ?

1 hour ago, buick said:

i assume you don't have a thai wife ?  did you mention a thai GF ?  i've always thought it was best to say no wife, no GF.

I think it's best to tell the truth. Even though they seem to have almost non-existent interrogation skills, lying to an immigration officer really isn't the way to go.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, buick said:

i assume you don't have a thai wife ?  did you mention a thai GF ?  i've always thought it was best to say no wife, no GF.  just a tourist coming to see the sites, enjoy the warm weather, food, etc... 

did the IO suggest getting tourist visa's in the future, even though your trips are less than 30 days ?

I think there's nothing wrong saying you have a Thai GF and you came to stay with her. They'll probably understand the reason of your visit much more... Just thinking.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Fedexpat said:

I think there's nothing wrong saying you have a Thai GF and you came to stay with her. They'll probably understand the reason of your visit much more... Just thinking.

This varies wildly by IO.  See:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/978329-denied-entry-tr-at-suvarnabhumi-no-stamp-options/

"If you have Thai GF and you love her, take her to your home country and stay there, you are not wanted here," from another elderly female officer.

If entering at an entry-point in Issan, you'd be more likely to get a sympathetic response.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2019 at 8:58 PM, Caldera said:

I think it's best to tell the truth. Even though they seem to have almost non-existent interrogation skills, lying to an immigration officer really isn't the way to go.

i understand what you are saying and it is certainly a case by case basis.  but for this person, 5 visa exempts, never extended.  seems to fit the tourist profile.  and what about the dreaded 'work' question ?  you have to craft a lie about that, of course you have a job and it allows you time off and you don't work remotely (even though you likely do in order to have that travel schedule).  sometimes they'll access your facebook account and if it is full of photos of you and your GF, and you answered no to the GF question, you could have a problem.

i lie when i enter my passport country (USA).  i always get sent to secondary and they ask me what i'm doing in thailand.  i tell them i'm retired, living in thailand and show them my retirement stamp.  but then they always ask what i do in thailand, so i show them the photos i've prepared for them on my phone.  photos of an ex GF and her son and say i have a family there.  i can't tell them i spent the last 4 months drinking beer and hitting the go go bars in bangkok !!!  that wouldn't go over well.  again, case by case basis, lies can be very necessary and need to be backed up (i don't have a FB page, fortunately).

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/20/2019 at 12:09 AM, Fedexpat said:

So basically you stay around 5 months per year in Thailand entering with VE without any visa run right ?

Yes ... there's no law that says I can't do that and that is what the Rhai Consulate in Dublin confirmed ... in writing ... and which was given the ok by the immigration officials. I know it's more expensve going home and coming back but I like both ... Thailand would  drive me ting tong after 4 wwwks , and home does the same to me so I hop back and forth €500 plus a return flight ... leaving next Monday , other places to go , and booked back from Dublin to Bangkok in early May €512 return... 

Just now, terryofcrete said:

Yes ... there's no law that says I can't do that and that is what the Rhai Consulate in Dublin confirmed ... in writing ... and which was given the ok by the immigration officials. I know it's more expensve going home and coming back but I like both ... Thailand would  drive me ting tong after 4 wwwks , and home does the same to me so I hop back and forth €500 plus a return flight ... leaving next Monday , other places to go , and booked back from Dublin to Bangkok in early May €512 return... 

Each trip must be under 30 days to just walk in .... same goes for my travel insurance , house insurance, health insurance , 30 days at a time ... max days in year 180... that keeps it down to manageable premiums ... if I want to stay more than 30 days my travel insurance doubles at my age ! 

On 2/21/2019 at 10:36 AM, buick said:

No.. and I asked him what about next time and he said you are ok ... but he won't be there waiting for me will he ... so I may get pulled every time now.

On 2/21/2019 at 10:36 AM, buick said:

I don't have a GF or a Thai Wife.. I'm an old Butterfy.. well that's what a Thai girl told me a long time ago when she tried to put me in a Velvet Cage and train me to bark and wag my tail when she spoke ! ... lol ... 

1 minute ago, terryofcrete said:

I don't have a GF or a Thai Wife.. I'm an old Butterfy.. well that's what a Thai girl told me a long time ago when she tried to put me in a Velvet Cage and train me to bark and wag my tail when she spoke ! ... lol ... 

I also offered to show returns air ticket, Health Insurance Cert and €2000.... they didn't ask to see them .. 

Working as a digital nomad or living on saved money and staying here on tourist visas will not work anymore. 

You are not breaking any laws , but they just don't want you here anymore.

So I would suggest Vietnam or Cambo instead, they still want you.

Around $300 for a 1 year visa. 

Working as a digital nomad or living on saved money and staying here on tourist visas will not work anymore. 
You are not breaking any laws , but they just don't want you here anymore.

So I would suggest Vietnam or Cambo instead, they still want you.
Around $300 for a 1 year visa. 

I think Vietnam or Cambo WiFi speed is not up to par Thailand for digital nomad to work efficiently. Portugal or Spain would be the best.

Sent from my JKM-LX2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

17 hours ago, onera1961 said:

I think Vietnam or Cambo WiFi speed is not up to par Thailand for digital nomad to work efficiently. Portugal or Spain would be the best.

I had no problem doing work / video-meetings over 3G in Cambodia back in the day (was much faster than Thailand, then), though you can get faster / more-stable "installed" connections, if staying in one place.

I don't have direct-experience in Vietnam, but there are co-working spaces which are reported to have solid connections.  If staying longer-term, one could have a hard-wired service installed, but maybe someone else can comment on the cost, term, and area-availability.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, onera1961 said:

Sent from my JKM-LX2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Ah now hold on ... there's a massive difference between living in the Iberian Penninsula and South East Asia... cost of living,  and climate being the obvious ones. It's cold in Spain and colder in Portugal in the winter time. Go out and eat in those countries as see what you pay as against Thailand,Vietnam or Cambodia... and as for the ladies ... well we won't discuss that here.  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, terryofcrete said:

It's cold in Spain and colder in Portugal in the winter time.

I was in Benidorm and Albuferia in January and felt same as in San Francisco/Las Vegas. If it rains it can go down to 50. 

26 minutes ago, terryofcrete said:

Go out and eat in those countries as see what you pay as against Thailand,Vietnam or Cambodia... and as for the ladies ... well we won't discuss that here.  

Cheaper only if you eat street food in Thailand and Cambodia. My eating expenses were slightly more. Yes, it costs more to rent. 

Edited by onera1961
  • Like 1

Cheaper only if you eat street food in Thailand and Cambodia. My eating expenses were slightly more. Yes, it costs more to rent. 
Yeah winter rains and then also less daylight hours in winter, no thanks.
Southern Europe not my cup of tea, but up to everyone's liking.

I just read the OP, haven't waded through all the replies.

But like the immigration officer stated, just get either a Tourist visa or a non-immigration via O.

It is always up to the immigration officer's discretion to allow you or not with a visa-exempt.

How many years have you been doing these visa runs? 
I have been reading so many articles about the visa-exempt situation and the visa on arrival.  I think it is normal that at some point
an officer would conclude that you are staying/living there long term and enforce you to follow correct procedures which would be getting the 
required visa's through the embassy in your home country. At least at this point you still are able to request a visa in embassies in nearby countries, but 
my gut is telling me that in the not so distant future will require you to provide evidence you travelled back home between visits.