All Aussie Related Stuff (excluding the old age pension)

8 hours ago, ripstanley said:

I had to produce to Medicare my travel details.  There is a form from Department of Home Affairs that you have to complete to obtain this information. Some departments do not have access to the immigration data base

He is a link to the form.

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/forms/Documents/1359.pdf

I have to ask, why did Medicare want your travel details, did your card expire ?

9 hours ago, Will27 said:

Nice work.

I think that form might have other uses as well.

Maybe for the Australian Electoral Commission if you need to tell them

why you haven't voted for example.

This link gives several options for voting when overseas.

https://www.aec.gov.au/Enrolling_to_vote/overseas/index.htm

Best to advise AEC in advance so your details and location are on the electoral roll.

This covers you for all elections, as the AEC Electoral Roll is used by all levels of Govt.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2018 at 11:34 PM, ripstanley said:

Can you tell us what happened? 

Well he's still pissed off then!  

Somewhat related, I applied for a single-entry tourist visa at the Sydney Thai Consulate this week and was asked to provide a long list of information - the list on their website.  Hotel bookings, airline tickets / proof of onward travel, 'evidence of adequate finances' (B20k for a single-person single-entry tourist visa), etc.  Because we are staying with family I also had to provide a copy of my wife's ID card, and she has had to send an email saying I will be staying with her at such and such address and that she will not allow me to overstay.

All fair enough and mostly as stated on the website. Caught me a bit unawares is all - I had to trot down to the nearest ATM and withdraw B20k equivalent to wave under their nose.   I haven't previously had to provide so much detail, so just letting others know.  

It may be because I entered on a spouse visa early this year for a three-month visit.   But other than that I have no history of overstays and I am not a serial visa exempt entry abuser - one visa exempt entry in the past two years. 

• Like 2
On 7/12/2018 at 10:44 PM, Freed1948 said:

Just p'offed with a visit to OZ embassy.

Can't be stuffed with the details tonight, but will reveal all tomorrow when I calm down.

Off to bed to recover from that!!!!

Come on Fred - tell us the story.  Maybe something we all need to know about.

26 minutes ago, moojar said:

Well he's still pissed off then!  

Somewhat related, I applied for a single-entry tourist visa at the Sydney Thai Consulate this week and was asked to provide a long list of information - the list on their website.  Hotel bookings, airline tickets / proof of onward travel, 'evidence of adequate finances' (B20k for a single-person single-entry tourist visa), etc.  Because we are staying with family I also had to provide a copy of my wife's ID card, and she has had to send an email saying I will be staying with her at such and such address and that she will not allow me to overstay.

All fair enough and mostly as stated on the website. Caught me a bit unawares is all - I had to trot down to the nearest ATM and withdraw B20k equivalent to wave under their nose.   I haven't previously had to provide so much detail, so just letting others know.  

It may be because I entered on a spouse visa early this year for a three-month visit.   But other than that I have no history of overstays and I am not a serial visa exempt entry abuser - one visa exempt entry in the past two years. 

Mate - this is only going to happen more and more to everyone - for a while longer.

The Junta is cracking down hard on 'bad guys' but in the process they are also causing grief for 'good guys'.

Years and years of easy and unlimited entry/access to all and sundry made Thailand the SEAsia preferred destination for many 'undesirables'.

The Junta is finally doing something about it (trying to).

May I suggest that next time, assuming you come and go once a year or so, that you dont bother with a Visa application.

Aussies get an automatic 30 day tourist Visa on arrival - you do not need to apply - just go straight through to the immigration entry.

But I recommend you take copies/orginals of those documents with you in case you are asked to 'come here' - especially the marriage stuff and return ticket - and have 20+K baht.

I do this all the time when visiting Thailand now, and if I ever need to stay longer I get a ticket that can be changed, but first I get an extension of my stay (easy peasy).

The Embassies are all being forced to crack down and are over doing it of course - it is much easier in Thailand.

But after 2 times in any year they may question 'why' and at some point they may tell you 'nex time get Wisa'.

If you are over 50 and return more than just once a year, I think you should consider getting a 'Retirement Visa'.

A friend of mine does that because he visits with the wife at least twice a year (bugger has a mot more money than me).

Once you have a Retirement Visa with unlimited entry/exit you can come and go as you please.

Each year you need to 'extend your stay' on the retirement visa, and after the first extension, you will need to get a re-entry permit each time, before you leave.

A little bit of trouble and cost up front can save you a lot of issues and maybe save you a big problem (if ever denied entry).

9 hours ago, ELVIS123456 said:

Come on Fred - tell us the story.  Maybe something we all need to know about.

Not much, but was just p'offed that they changed the need to make an appointment

for any service provided by OUR embassy.

Previously you could walk in and speak to somebody, but now you need to go to the website.

Can't fault the staff for their service.

I just wonder if in an emergency the lady at the gate is the one who decides if you can enter?

• Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, Freed1948 said:

Not much, but was just p'offed that they changed the need to make an appointment

for any service provided by OUR embassy.

Previously you could walk in and speak to somebody, but now you need to go to the website.

Can't fault the staff for their service.

I just wonder if in an emergency the lady at the gate is the one who decides if you can enter?

Is that the one in BKK, because the one in Laos is absolutely brilliant, although I do believe you need an appointment.

I was there am few months ago and had to take a ticket although I was the only person there and waited 10 minutes to be served. If I make an appointment and get there early or late what happens. I normally take a Bus from Pattya and then 2 trains and a walk,

20 hours ago, ELVIS123456 said:

Mate - this is only going to happen more and more to everyone - for a while longer.

The Junta is cracking down hard on 'bad guys' but in the process they are also causing grief for 'good guys'.

Years and years of easy and unlimited entry/access to all and sundry made Thailand the SEAsia preferred destination for many 'undesirables'.

The Junta is finally doing something about it (trying to).

May I suggest that next time, assuming you come and go once a year or so, that you dont bother with a Visa application.

Aussies get an automatic 30 day tourist Visa on arrival - you do not need to apply - just go straight through to the immigration entry.

But I recommend you take copies/orginals of those documents with you in case you are asked to 'come here' - especially the marriage stuff and return ticket - and have 20+K baht.

I do this all the time when visiting Thailand now, and if I ever need to stay longer I get a ticket that can be changed, but first I get an extension of my stay (easy peasy).

The Embassies are all being forced to crack down and are over doing it of course - it is much easier in Thailand.

But after 2 times in any year they may question 'why' and at some point they may tell you 'nex time get Wisa'.

If you are over 50 and return more than just once a year, I think you should consider getting a 'Retirement Visa'.

A friend of mine does that because he visits with the wife at least twice a year (bugger has a mot more money than me).

Once you have a Retirement Visa with unlimited entry/exit you can come and go as you please.

Each year you need to 'extend your stay' on the retirement visa, and after the first extension, you will need to get a re-entry permit each time, before you leave.

A little bit of trouble and cost up front can save you a lot of issues and maybe save you a big problem (if ever denied entry).

Nah, we're visiting for 31 days on this trip - I stay as many days as I can get time off work.  One extra day = $55 tourist visa, but flying on the days we are saved us $60-odd dollars each in air fare. So longer stay saved me money.  ?  But yeah, I've never bothered having all my docs / funds with me for a visa exempt entry on arrival, I'll have to change my ways.  Hopefully this has been a warning for others reading this.  

Retirement visa - now that sounds like an option in future, thank you.  We're two or three years away from actual retirement but make two trips a year, might be worthwhile.  I entered on a spouse visa for our three month stay, that's another option.  (I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to Military Juntas - good idea to get a 'human rights' entry under my belt I figured.)  

• Like 2
10 hours ago, ronrat said:

I was there am few months ago and had to take a ticket although I was the only person there and waited 10 minutes to be served. If I make an appointment and get there early or late what happens. I normally take a Bus from Pattya and then 2 trains and a walk,

Get there early I'd suggest and wait.

54 minutes ago, sceadugenga said:

Unfortunately the sound did not stick, if you can find the link on the ABC website the older guy has a real old time Aussie accent.

Soundtrack worked just fine, a real larikan the guy that sealed it on the wall.

• Like 1