All Aussie Related Stuff (excluding the old age pension)

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

The serious errors, angst, and very serious upset to old people (and others) caused by their 'robodebt' serious disaster might also be in their thinking. Yes different department/ministry but same government, and the mud sticks, I doubt they would allow themselves anywhere near a second 'crash'.

I somehow don't think past failures will stop them trying it on. 

Then, you have the stress of dealing with your accountant, gathering documents, filling out Stat Dec's and so on.  In the end, they might say you are resident and will be taxed accordingly, but it's sure to cause some sleepless nights.  

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I have absolutely no doubt in my mind as to the ability of government bureaucrats and politicians to screw things up repeatedly.

Bushfires, floods, contact tracing, hotel quarantine, RAT kit availability - how many examples do you need?

Nearly forgot - $40 billion in Jobkeeper going to businesses who did  not need it, and won't give it back.

Yes, and like I just posted, your name only has to be spat out of a data base, triggering a standard "please explain" letter about why you are out of Australia for more than 183 days, and you are on the  ATO Merry Go Round, and around and around you will go.  

3 hours ago, simple1 said:

To summarise, "in your opinion",

Yes, my opinion, or hypothesis.  

They know there are thousands of expats living overseas, but generating an income in Australia.  They want their non resident tax cut out of it.

They must have an enforcement plan in mind, given they know these people are already outside of Australia.  

I have not read all the links and proposals, but it has always been my understanding that the law they are trying to tighten up is not for people who want remain a resident, but for people who want to be declared a non resident. Hence wealthy individuals try to declare themselves non residents to save tax even though they reside mostly in Australia. With the 183 day rule they will not be able to. 

On 5/4/2022 at 11:16 AM, rhodie said:

I have not read all the links and proposals, but it has always been my understanding that the law they are trying to tighten up is not for people who want remain a resident, but for people who want to be declared a non resident. Hence wealthy individuals try to declare themselves non residents to save tax even though they reside mostly in Australia. With the 183 day rule they will not be able to. 

I can only see it working both ways.  Inside Australia 183 days, outside Australia 183 days, they'll scoop up the lot.  

40 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

I can only see it working both ways.  Inside Australia 183 days, outside Australia 183 days, they'll scoop up the lot.  

But maybe there will be levels of income involved and, if that's true, folks living outside of OZ on oap will possibly be way under the level of income which attracts any taxation. 

25 minutes ago, scorecard said:

But maybe there will be levels of income involved and, if that's true, folks living outside of OZ on oap will possibly be way under the level of income which attracts any taxation. 

Sure, anything's possible.  They could possibly change it from $0 to $120,000 to $50,000 to $120,000.  Or, they could simply exempt the old age pension.

We have all see the proposed changes, but I haven't seen any new threshold proposals as yet.  

Next year, Australia will hit 1 trillion dollars debt.  They will be looking for every dollar they can find, for anyone, and everyone.  I'm not so sure they will be handing out any free passes to expats.  

Edited by KhunHeineken
6 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

I'd be interested in a link where it works both ways. I have only ever seen them refer to 183 days in Australia and you cannot be a non resident. 

9 hours ago, rhodie said:

I'd be interested in a link where it works both ways. I have only ever seen them refer to 183 days in Australia and you cannot be a non resident. 

I don't have a link to a law that has not come in yet.  

I used the words "I can only see" I didn't use the words "They will" or "It will."

After reading the proposed changes, maybe you can explain to me then how someone outside of Australia for 184 days, that's 1 day over the limit,  will still be deemed a resident for taxation purposes.

I get what you are saying, but for me, the 183 days either locks people into residency, or locks them out of residency.  I doubt it will just be used to only lock people into residency, and there will be zero attention to those locked out of residency, like expats.  

Like I said, if inside for 183 day, you are a resident, no dispute, but outside for 183 days, how would one then argue they are a resident for tax and not a non resident?   The law can't be there for some, and not for others.  

Edited by KhunHeineken
  • Confused 1
  • 1 month later...
5 hours ago, SplitInfinitive said:

I recently changed phones and now cannot access one particular mobile number in Australia.

I've deleted the number and put it back into the phone without success.

I know it's still in use and I would not be blocked.

Any suggestions?

Can you change the SIM back to the old phone,and see if it works there?

Other suggestions - you may have inadvertently blocked the initial area code.

Failing that, you may have to contact your service provider.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/11/2022 at 10:54 AM, SplitInfinitive said:

I recently changed phones and now cannot access one particular mobile number in Australia.

I've deleted the number and put it back into the phone without success.

I know it's still in use and I would not be blocked.

Any suggestions?

Can you view the sim card's account online and get the call history that way?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SplitInfinitive said:

Thanks for the replies, I rang the number the other day and it connected immediately.

He then rang me back so all seems to be OK. 

Good news. Are you also set up to make totally free calls and video calls (domestic in Thailand and across the world) using the LINE or the VIBER app? Easy to set up, free, saves a fortune.

I did 2+ years back in Oz a little while back, called my Thai son, his wife, my 3 granddaughters* and old farang friends, old students still writing their thesis, all located in Thailand, plus once a week calls to students in Germany and Denmark, pretty much every day, all totally free. (*Some calls / video calls perhaps 40 minutes+ because I was helping my middle granddaughter to practice/develop her English reading pronunciation, all no hcrages.)

42 minutes ago, SplitInfinitive said:

This is the only guy I still have to phone, he's an IT illiterate. :wacko:

Sure, I'm not much better.

As I'm sure you're aware LINE is great if the person can manage the installation (which is pretty simple). When I was back in OZ* I spoke to an old school friend, been living/working in Pitsanalook for 20 years, for an hour or more nearly every day. All free. 

When I went back to OZ for 2+ years I couldn't find an Australian telecom company with any discounted rate for o/seas calls Aust - T'land and the full rate was about AUD4+ per minute. Costs a fortune for even a 10 or 20 minute call.

I called Telstra to see if they had any options for a cheaper rate. Response: 

'The problem is that Thailand is one of a very small number of countries which won't sign-on to the international call cost sharing system'. 

Luckily I had been using LINE for several years, no charges whatever. 

Edited by scorecard
45 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Luckily I had been using LINE for several years, no charges whatever. 

I used to use LINE when talking to my son. I now use DUO, which is much better picture quality, and not subject to dropouts like LINE.

IIRC, I downloaded it onto my smartphone from the Google Play Store. Free app, calls are free, 4G WiFi is sufficient.

19 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I used to use LINE when talking to my son. I now use DUO, which is much better picture quality, and not subject to dropouts like LINE.

IIRC, I downloaded it onto my smartphone from the Google Play Store. Free app, calls are free, 4G WiFi is sufficient.

Thanks, I'll try it.   (I agree LINE is not that stable at times.)

• 11 months later...
On 7/4/2018 at 5:55 PM, ELVIS123456 said:

This link gives several options for voting when overseas.

https://www.aec.gov.au/Enrolling_to_vote/overseas/index.htm

Best to advise AEC in advance so your details and location are on the electoral roll.

This covers you for all elections, as the AEC Electoral Roll is used by all levels of Govt.

You can also opt out if you're no longer domiciled.

I never liked being forced to vote anyway. 

6 minutes ago, chalawaan said:

You can also opt out if you're no longer domiciled.

I never liked being forced to vote anyway. 

I removed my name from the voting roll decades ago. No drama to remove my name, subject has never come up again.

• 2 months later...

Quick question. I'm Australian and would like to open a bank account in Australia. However, I have lived in Thailand years and do not have an address in Australia anymore. I have an investement fund and will probable be doing transfers, so I will need a bank account. Has anyone managed to open an Australian bank account when living in Thailand? What paperwork was required to do it? Any recommended banks I can try? Thanks..

You probably can open an online account with some of the niche banks, here are a couple of links to try:

https://www.ubank.com.au/

https://www.mebank.com.au/

I did have an interest-bearing account with mebank, opened and closed it with no fuss. I can't remember if they required an Australian address, I'll bet any bank will require a tax file number.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Quick question. I'm Australian and would like to open a bank account in Australia. However, I have lived in Thailand years and do not have an address in Australia anymore. I have an investement fund and will probable be doing transfers, so I will need a bank account. Has anyone managed to open an Australian bank account when living in Thailand? What paperwork was required to do it? Any recommended banks I can try? Thanks..

Suggest you call, Inexpensive rate, to MAcquarie bank and talk instantly to one of the banking officers. Always polite, good listeners and very customer focused.

Can easily find their 'calls from abroad' number on their website.

Good luck. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

You probably can open an online account with some of the niche banks, here are a couple of links to try:

https://www.ubank.com.au/

https://www.mebank.com.au/

I did have an interest-bearing account with mebank, opened and closed it with no fuss. I can't remember if they required an Australian address, I'll bet any bank will require a tax file number.

Thanks. I still have a newcastle permanent bank account, but they are now askign me to verify my information. They state the letter must come from the embassy, which costs much more than I have in that account! My wife also has the same issue but her account is used to collect some investment dividends. I used a local notary public (much cheaper than the embassy) recently to verify my ID to my investment fund in Australia. Im not sure why the bank is so fussy. Also, that bank is in NSW, that I rarely visit now. I mainly go to QLD where my mother lives. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/23/2023 at 9:23 AM, DavisH said:

Thanks. I still have a newcastle permanent bank account, but they are now askign me to verify my information. They state the letter must come from the embassy, which costs much more than I have in that account! My wife also has the same issue but her account is used to collect some investment dividends. I used a local notary public (much cheaper than the embassy) recently to verify my ID to my investment fund in Australia. Im not sure why the bank is so fussy. Also, that bank is in NSW, that I rarely visit now. I mainly go to QLD where my mother lives. 

When you next visit your mother, open a bank account and use her address.  Get a debit card attached to the account. 

Don't mention ANYTHING about Thailand. 

Edited by KhunHeineken