Thai govt campaigns for alcohol break during Buddhist Lent

webfact

10 hours ago, jaltsc said:

Vietnam strictly enforces their laws, and there is no tea money. Get caught driving drunk. Lose your vehicle for an extended period and pay a hefty fine. The main reason you see everyone who rides a motor bike wearing a helmet is that they get fined 10 times the amount of the helmet if they are caught without one.  It has nothing to do with morals. It's about safety, and it appears that Vietnam values the lives of its citizens more than Thailand values Thai lives. 

tea money..WRONG !!!!...But it has slowed down considerably from 15yrs ago.

13 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Vietnam which is predominantly Buddhist doesn't use reasons like Lent to try to discourage alcohol consumption. They virtually have no restrictions and as a result people have a more liberal attitude toward alcohol.

This is government initiated nonsense using Buddhism as an excuse to try to impose their sanctimonious and moralistic attitudes on people. 

The government should instead use Lent to discourage bad monks from criminal practices and immoral behaviour.

Same like in Utah the Lds church (the alcohol restriction and weaker beer in stores)

14 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

My wife thinks this is another part of the web for southern Islam to try and repress/take over from Buddhism as the national religion. Something to do with certain high ranking government officials have Muslim wives.

I doubt that. Take her to Sungai Kolok and order a beer or two. You won't find any problem.

This is the usual sanctimonious flapdoodle from the Bangkok elite who have no interest in practising what they preach, all the while passing medals and decorations to one another in their little bubble. Meanwhile Thailand carries on despite them, not because of them...

18 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Vietnam which is predominantly Buddhist doesn't use reasons like Lent to try to discourage alcohol consumption. They virtually have no restrictions and as a result people have a more liberal attitude toward alcohol.

This is government initiated nonsense using Buddhism as an excuse to try to impose their sanctimonious and moralistic attitudes on people. 

The government should instead use Lent to discourage bad monks from criminal practices and immoral behaviour.

Because Vietnam is officially an atheist country as declared by the country's communist regime.

"He said alcohol abstinence is considered a worthy act...."

This is the problem with national religions (whether Islam, Christianity or Buddhism) and with governments imposing religious ideas from above.  Abstinence (or any other act), is only "worthy" if it's done voluntarily, by choice.  When it's imposed, it means nothing.

9 hours ago, baboon said:

usual sanctimonious flapdoodle from the Bangkok elite who have no interest in practising what they preach,

16 words which sum up so many orders, instructions and urgings from those in power.

?

Maybe someone will start a religion that strictly enforces a tipple several times a day whilst facing in the direction of Suzie Wongs, and say that's it's against your religion to abstain.  It's no more ridiculous.

Why impose any rules on anyone that isn't intentionally causing loss or hardship to another?

19 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

I doubt very much the owners of the breweries will embrace this idea .....

I take your point, but I'm sure the reality is alcohol will still be on sale as it is during other prohibited times. The organised ones will just stock up before any restrictions begin.

9 hours ago, Fish Head Soup said:

Because Vietnam is officially an atheist country as declared by the country's communist regime.

Commies did get that one right, have to give them credit for once.

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 8:51 AM, trainman34014 said:

Every morning when i ride my bike i see four Thai blokes sitting outside a small eating/drinking place all with bottles of Chang and Leo at 8am. They are there every day of the year through all the drinking 'bans' that occur as the year passes.   I would put a considerable bet on them being there throughout a three month 'alcohol break' or any other dumb idea the Junta has !

I used to have the exact same experience every morning in an area I lived in BKK once. I finally stopped one day and asked them why they started drinking so early (as by then we were on a wave/nod of the head acknowledgement of each other) and it turns out they were taxi drivers who worked nights so this was like after-work beers for them. They offered me one during the chat and although I would never normally crack one open that early, it felt rude to refuse.  

On 7/6/2018 at 6:37 PM, stephen tracy said:

I used to have the exact same experience every morning in an area I lived in BKK once. I finally stopped one day and asked them why they started drinking so early (as by then we were on a wave/nod of the head acknowledgement of each other) and it turns out they were taxi drivers who worked nights so this was like after-work beers for them. They offered me one during the chat and although I would never normally crack one open that early, it felt rude to refuse.  

Good on ya.  If anything, maybe follow the actual social norms, not the prescription.  They don't, I'm sure.

well, if alcohol is such a problem, maybe stop earning money from it. On the one hand, they tax alcohol like crazy, and on the other hand they try to force adults from not being able to obtain it during certain hours of the day, or in this case certain days in July. 

Sick and tired of thee bullshit. Why the hell can I not buy a bottle of beer at 4 PM ? Even in Malaysia, primarily a Muslim country, they aren't this silly about alcohol. 

And of course, every pop and mom shop will sell it to you during those hours and during Buddist Lent, and plenty of bars will sell too, after all it is their bread and butter. 

Hope they make sure the millions of people who visit Thailand in that period will be suitably informed before travelling and that holiday brochures and travel agents are informed ,! Do they care nah can't see it happening but you never know 

Archived