CM cost-of-living: Numbeo's Asia mid-2018 comparisons

orang37

2 hours ago, ThaiPauly said:

So how does that compare to last year Orang?

Good question, Khun Pauly, I think I'll send the site a suggestion to provide change data, and.or, charts.

cheers, Bill

1 hour ago, Justfine said:

Cheaper than Bangkok for hotels. Food much the same. Tours are expensive though. Krabi much cheaper for day tours 

Hi, Khun Justfine,

I am sure that for me BKK would be much more costly; but, my diet, here, is almost totally fresh food from local markets within easy bicycling distance. I suspect my monthly expenses for food (way under 3k baht per month, which includes eating at a restaurant maybe 4~5 times) ... would put me in the lowest 5% of the general expat population's spending range.

The 3-bedroom house I rent here in the Nong Hoi area for 7k per month (yes, I am very lucky !) would, I am sure, set me back 30k++ in Bangkok  ... if I could find one.

"Tour" ?  What's a tour ?

cheers, ~o;37;

Numbeo's selection of locations seems a subjective oddity....plus their price ranges on some items that are mostly fixed/ well-understood prices seems very odd, a litre of milk for example! I think there's an overabundance of tourist data incorporated into the ranges which distorts reality.

9 hours ago, chingmai331 said:

Find it all here:  https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/region_rankings.jsp?title=2018&region=142

You're eating fresh foods daily for under 100 baht per day, OP?  Lots of rice maybe.  I paid today 65 baht for one big mango in CM.

It isn't difficult to get away inexpensively if you pick your markets properly and buy sensible portions etc., avoid farang orientated markets at all costs and pricier ones such as Rumachok. 

12 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Numbeo's selection of locations seems a subjective oddity....plus their price ranges on some items that are mostly fixed/ well-understood prices seems very odd, a litre of milk for example! I think there's an overabundance of tourist data incorporated into the ranges which distorts reality.

I would assume the figures are useful only in aggregate for making an estimate of relative differences in COL between two very different countries/cities. I think your hypothesis is a sound one, and reminds me of what my thesis advisor (in another lifetime) kept repeating to me, over and over: "look who's talking !." ?

cheers, ~o:37;

9 hours ago, chingmai331 said:

You're eating fresh foods daily for under 100 baht per day, OP?  Lots of rice maybe.  I paid today 65 baht for one big mango in CM.

My taste buds left the planet 12 years ago (cancer); many days all I eat is soy-milk+infant-formula-for-3+-year-olds. Not a weight-loss plan, or a fiscal strategy, I recommend ?

5 minutes ago, orang37 said:

I would assume the figures are useful only in aggregate for making an estimate of relative differences in COL between two very different countries/cities. I think your hypothesis is a sound one, and reminds me of what my thesis advisor (in another lifetime) kept repeating to me, over and over: "look who's talking !." ?

Indeed, always consider the source.

17 hours ago, chingmai331 said:

Find it all here:  https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/region_rankings.jsp?title=2018&region=142

just returned to CM from my village - - - the family packed a load of mangoes for me - - they grow on trees down there. 

In other words, that sounds very expensive... even sliced at the fruit vendor it is only 20 baht a bag... 

Too many cost of living ratings for different city locations are based on expats flying in, employed on a big salary and expecting to dine in high quality restaurants nightly. Yet if you choose to (or have to) live a different lifestyle and perhaps one that depends much less on expat amenities, you can often happily live on much less. This is surely true in Chiang Mai. After settling in, getting to meet genuine locals (not of the bar girl variety), learning about local culture and transport, then considering different locations, it should be possible to find good accom and facilties to suit. Twenty years ago Chiang Mai was very affordable in my view. These days the large numbers of foreigners means higher prices and careful choices needed.

22 hours ago, orang37 said:

Hi, Khun Justfine,

I am sure that for me BKK would be much more costly; but, my diet, here, is almost totally fresh food from local markets within easy bicycling distance. I suspect my monthly expenses for food (way under 3k baht per month, which includes eating at a restaurant maybe 4~5 times) ... would put me in the lowest 5% of the general expat population's spending range.

The 3-bedroom house I rent here in the Nong Hoi area for 7k per month (yes, I am very lucky !) would, I am sure, set me back 30k++ in Bangkok  ... if I could find one.

cheers, ~o;37;

Why would you lie? 

18 hours ago, chingmai331 said:

I hope it was a good one as it seems to be overpriced, from my observations and talking to people there is a surplus of mangos in the area you are talking about.

We live further north and people are giving them away.

2 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

I hope it was a good one as it seems to be overpriced, from my observations and talking to people there is a surplus of mangos in the area you are talking about.

We live further north and people are giving them away.

Indeed, extremely cheap currently, as is pineapple, but tourists wouldn't know that.

1 minute ago, simoh1490 said:

Indeed, extremely cheap currently, as is pineapple, but tourists wouldn't know that.

Forgot about the pineapples absolutely brilliant

1 minute ago, simoh1490 said:

23 hours ago, orang37 said:

Hi, Khun Justfine,

cheers, ~o;37;

Good price on the rental. I figure one can find an unfurinished 3 bed/3 bath house from 10-15,000 baht. I am happy having found such a new house in Sannameng for 13, 000 baht per month. The 3 of us spend substantially more for food.

These calculations are merely a way of generating media coverage for organisations that want yo sell their services. The only way to get an accurate oicture is to come here and compile your own expenditure scenario. Otherwise this is a sterile topic

On 7/4/2018 at 4:31 PM, Justfine said:

Cheaper than Bangkok for hotels. Food much the same. Tours are expensive though. Krabi much cheaper for day tours 

Huh? Krabi much cheaper for day tours??? Are you serious?

Krabi is very expensive for day tours. We spent 10 days in Krabi and every day hired boats to take us around different islands. Each day we spent perhaps 5K Baht on mini-vans, boats, etc. but enjoyed every minute of it.

On 7/4/2018 at 10:07 PM, chingmai331 said:

I paid 10 Baht for a kilo of green mangoes and 20 Baht for a kilo of yellow mangoes today. Maybe you are shopping in the wrong places?

12 hours ago, Ajarnbrian said:

Too many cost of living ratings for different city locations are based on expats flying in, employed on a big salary and expecting to dine in high quality restaurants nightly. Yet if you choose to (or have to) live a different lifestyle and perhaps one that depends much less on expat amenities, you can often happily live on much less. This is surely true in Chiang Mai. After settling in, getting to meet genuine locals (not of the bar girl variety), learning about local culture and transport, then considering different locations, it should be possible to find good accom and facilties to suit. Twenty years ago Chiang Mai was very affordable in my view. These days the large numbers of foreigners means higher prices and careful choices needed.

Im a cheap charlie in CM and my studio ranges 3000-4000 all included--drive my old honda dream around and eat street food so I too can do it on 100bt a day for food..room =100 a day and leaves me another 100 for extras..

Where would you say the cheapest living is in CM ...and/ or within thailand itself as I've tried KK and Nong Khai too

Rental pricing can and will vary between Chiang Mai, Bangkok and other areas. But bargains are there to be found. I'm renting a 3br/2bathr townhouse, 2 story unfurnished, aircond, sep kitchen at Bht 5500 pm. 30 min. outside of Bangkok in Bang Yai, Nonthaburi. It is a gates village with security and only 5min to Central, Big C etc. But yes you can also find others similar in 15k range, or 30k furnished. 

On 7/5/2018 at 8:10 PM, brommers said:

These calculations are merely a way of generating media coverage for organisations that want yo sell their services. The only way to get an accurate oicture is to come here and compile your own expenditure scenario. Otherwise this is a sterile topic

If you are speaking about Numbeo, you do not know what you are speaking about. But, don;t let that stop you from trolling.

~o:37;

I paid today 65 baht for one big mango in CM.

'

Well, Mae Panom's a very friendly lady (speaks some English) who's at the Nong Hoi market every night selling a package for 40 baht that includes 2 big fresh  sliced mangoes, and sticky rice, and a small packet of khadtee (thick coconut milk expressed from the flesh), and a little packet of salt with some chili flakes in it. A problem for me in the sense I can only eat about half that; but, lucky for my landlady, who often gets the other half ? Those mangoes are so fresh they''ll start to turn even if they are refrigerated for only 12 hours !

Here: at the entrance that leads to the Nakornping Palace Hotel off the Chiang Mai-Lamphun road: Mae Panom after about 7pm

problem with paste ... I can't seem to delete this:

Is that from Rimping - or as I call it, Ripanewone?

Yesterday we got super sweet mangoes for 20 baht/kg, 4 large very juicy pineapples for 20 baht, ngo 25baht/kg as well, kids love those. Side of the road Highway 1317 at San Kamphaeng. 

I'm finding local living here still very cheap as it was years ago. We get 1kg sticky rice from a local village shop, the lady cooks it fresh for 30 baht/kg. Local food like red port on rice, noodles, still hanging in there around 30-40 bat. 

Fully agree that good wholesome cheap food is widely available in and around CM. I never said otherwise but mangos do vary in size and quality.  Some excellent tasting mangos are not found in CM but grown in India, for example. 

I see gobs of mangoes on the ground under some trees and those must be really cheap. Eat what you like.

I'll do the same.

Archived