Opening a bank account on a tourist visa

Hi all, need some advice.  I am in Thailand currently on a tourist visa, i need to open a bank account to transfer money from the UK. I went to Bangkok Bank who advised that I need a letter of reference from my Embassy (British Embassy).  When i called the embassy they said it's not a service they provide!  Can anyone offer advice on what to do or have been in the same situation or which other banks accept people on tourist visa? Thanks

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/Accounts/ForeignCurrencyAccount/Pages/DocumentsRequired.aspx

This is what Bangkok Bank has to say about foreign customers and those on a tourist Visa. Sometimes it takes a few to find one that will take you. Tell them you have a large sum to establish a savings account and they will come around. As for the reference, see the third point in the list of acceptable references they will accept. Got a Thai friend that wants to come with you?

Good luck

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Account.aspx

Fact is, every bank branch has different rules regarding who can and who can not open a savings account.  I repeat, "Branch", not necessarily bank.  In other word's you can go to two different branches of Bangkok Bank and get completely different responses.

So, If you go to several different branches you will find one that will be happy to open an account passed only on having a passport and nothing more. 

I live near Chiang Mai University and first went to the SCB bank on campus; got turned down.  I walked up the hill to the Bangkok Bank campus branch (now closed), and they were more than happy to open the account on the spot.

Advice you that two days ago Bangkok Bank replaced my missing VISA card for a new one “china” UNION PAY , wich can’t use for booking hotels, flights, Netflix, Apple bills and more . They locked multiples options, so tomorrow I must open a new account in a different new Bank.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1020753-bangkok-bank-no-more-visa-debit-cards-official/

Worth repeating this but if you have an existing bank account never let it lapse through lack of activity or very low balance below the annual fee for the debit card that many banks charge

I had one closed in the 90's but was lucky enought to get a new one through SCB the same year and wont let that happen again. Churn couple times a year if necessary

A few years ago I opened a savings account at the Bangkok Bank branch at Times Square in Sukhumvit. I was on a tourist visa at the time . All I needed were stamped certified copies of my passport ID page and visa page from the Australian Embassy. - cost 1500 bt. I was issued with a passbook and ATM card (not credit card). As others have pointed out different Bangkok Branches may have other procedures and requirements.

Chinese on tourist visa's pay 500 baht to get a bank account opened in Chiang Mai, fact, I know quite a few of them. Despite what it may say on the the banks website.

Passport and the 500 is sufficient

There are restrictions on how much money they can remit from China so all family members and friends open the accounts so much larger amounts can be remitted for investment.

37 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Chinese on tourist visa's pay 500 baht to get a bank account opened in Chiang Mai, fact, I know quite a few of them. Despite what it may say on the the banks website.

Passport and the 500 is sufficient

There are restrictions on how much money they can remit from China so all family members and friends open the accounts so much larger amounts can be remitted for investment.

Which bank? Which branch? Who to contact? Without these infos your post doesn't help anybody

Perhaps the person you talked with at your embassy misunderstood what you were asking.

Did you explain you are opening a bank account and need the bank form with your name and address certified?

As with any bank in the world these days the concern is money laundering. So, they require proof of name and address. In the past Bangkok Bank would open an account with a passport and driver's licence.

As you can see from the documents required they now want your embassy to certify your name (Passport) and address. I did this last year at the Canadian embassy and the cost was 1500 Baht. 

I suggest you pickup the form from the main branch at 333 Silom Road and take it to your embassy.

18 hours ago, hoxman said:

Tell them you have a large sum to establish a savings account and they will come around

Probably more effective when trying to impress a bar girl than a bank clerk. 

15 hours ago, Kohsamida said:

Fact is, every bank branch has different rules regarding who can and who can not open a savings account.  I repeat, "Branch", not necessarily bank.  In other word's you can go to two different branches of Bangkok Bank and get completely different responses.

So, If you go to several different branches you will find one that will be happy to open an account passed only on having a passport and nothing more. 

I live near Chiang Mai University and first went to the SCB bank on campus; got turned down.  I walked up the hill to the Bangkok Bank campus branch (now closed), and they were more than happy to open the account on the spot.

So which one was it, different branch same bank or different bank altogether?

Good morning folks.

A couple of days ago I tried to get info about opening a bank account for a friend of mine that wants to retire here at the end of the year, they all asked me if he had a w/permit.

I told them all no, he's retired he will not be working he is coming here to live/retire and needs to be able to transfer money from England here.

Long story short, they all told me he cannot open an account unless he has a work permit.

(I'm in Bansaen, I'll go to Pattaya and ask there, more farang orientated I might get on better!)

3 weeks ago, I walked in to a Kasikorn Branch, in a Tesco/Lotus mall, Phetchabun province. I had only my passport, with NO VISA, just a 'Visa Exempt' stamp.

The lady copied ONLY the first page (my name & data). Signed the copy, plus a bunch of 'legaleze bank forms'. Got my Savings Account Book, and the Lady asked which type of Visa Debit Card I wanted. It took all of 20 minutes... As many TV's has stated, all Branches work differently...

Anyone planning to retire here and obtains a retirement visa (Non-O) in advance from their home country (and that is highly recommended) can get a bank account here easily after they arrive. When I first arrived here 5 years ago on a tourist visa, it was easy to open a Thai Baht savings account at the Bangkok Bank head office on Silom Road. They later changed their rules and no longer do that unless the applicant has an affidavit notarized by their embassy with a verifiable address. The U.S. Embassy would not accept the Bangkok Bank form letter, and would only certify (notarize) their own affidavit form (at a cost of $50). It's downloadable from the embassy website. That might work. The embassy does not require proof- they only testify that you have declared the information on the affidavit form to be true. (A rent receipt accompanying the form might satisfy the requirement for "residency" at the bank).

1 hour ago, JaiLai said:

So which one was it, different branch same bank or different bank altogether?

Either / Both.  My point was that the rules for opening an account for a Farang on a tourist visa are NOT etched in stone.  It seems that the decision is at the discretion of the local branch officer that you approach, irregardless of what bank it is. 

A tip: Find a bank officer that speaks English fluently and who has a smile on his/her face.  I think it goes a long way.

In fact, I know someone who approached the same bank branch of a particular bank (I think it was SCB).  The first time she did it, she was refused.  She tried again a few days later at the same branch but with a different officer and was successful.

Also, I want to say again that, at least in my case, a letter from my Embassy was NOT necessary.  I was going to go that route but the US Embassy makes it a pain in the *ss with the need to make an appointment weeks in advance in order to apply for the affidavit and a hefty fee.  Instead I approached the bank with just my rental agreement contract and they accepted it.  It was that simple.

As I said, I was successful at the CMU campus branch of Bangkok Bank.  Unfortunately that branch has closed.  I do all my banking now at the Kad Suan Kaew Mall branch.  They have an officer that speaks fluent English and has always been incredibly friendly and helpful.  I have a feeling you'd have success through her.

• 9 months later...

Just opened a savings account today (no ATM card).

Here's what I needed:

1) Went to local Thai Immigration office.

2) Paid 800B fine because my wife didn't register me as living at "her" house, that I paid for.

3) Paid 500B for document to give to the bank.

4) Immigration office needed copy of wife's ID, signed.

5) Immigration office needed copy of house registration, signed.

6) Immigration office wanted to see our marriage certificate (no copy needed)

7) Immigration office wanted to see my passport with tourist visa.

Took immigration document to bank, signed a bunch of forms, including USA tax document.

Gave 10,000B as initial deposit.

They gave me a savings deposit book and transfer number for wiring money.

Easy. ????

On 4/22/2019 at 12:30 PM, SiSePuede419 said:

Just opened a savings account today (no ATM card).

Here's what I needed:

1) Went to local Thai Immigration office.

2) Paid 800B fine because my wife didn't register me as living at "her" house, that I paid for.

3) Paid 500B for document to give to the bank.

4) Immigration office needed copy of wife's ID, signed.

5) Immigration office needed copy of house registration, signed.

6) Immigration office wanted to see our marriage certificate (no copy needed)

7) Immigration office wanted to see my passport with tourist visa.

Took immigration document to bank, signed a bunch of forms, including USA tax document.

Gave 10,000B as initial deposit.

They gave me a savings deposit book and transfer number for wiring money.

Easy. ????

Anything that involves a visit to the Immigration office or your Embassy is not my definition of "easy" or "quick".  My post from last year (appears right above your's) is my definition of "easy and quick", and you get a debit card which is a pretty important part of having a bank account IMO. 

I've done this with Bank of Bangkok, and I've also done it with Kasikorn, and in both cases I was successful.  With both banks it was easy and quick...and involved none of the red tape nonsense that you'll go through dealing with the Immigration office or your Embassy.  ...AND, I have the capability of transferring funds electronically (wire not necessary) with my US-based banks!

If you really want to be smart as an Expat, you'll also open up a bank account with Schawb Bank.  The reason is because they give you a ATM card that you will NOT be charged ATM fees for from any bank's ATM machine you use (Schawab absorbs the fee)!  That amounts to a lot of money saved when you consider that each time you use an ATM from a bank other than your own, yo are charged 220 baht per transaction; that really adds up over the course of a year!

Archived