Pattaya 5-Years DL-RENEWAL / Begin July 2018

moonseeker

Renewal of 5 Years License / Car & Bike, this morning, approx. 1 week after BD.

Documents needed:   -  2 x original immigration residence form

-  2 sets of signed copies main  pp page & visa extension page / or visa page

-  2 sets of DL (front/back on 1 page)

-  2 x Original old DL's

-  NO MEDICAL CERTIFICATE asked for!!!

-  Passport original

- Arrived 7.35, already roughly 100 people around, 90% TH, 10% Foreigners

- Shortly before 8.00 happened to see a girl/staff sitting left to the entrance (still closed), giving out some 

numbers to a few people. Approached and was given a queue number, after showing my paperwork. She 

had  a small stack of numbers form the indoor machine, probably to speed up the process at opening.

- 8.00 the door opened and everybody was asked to get a number and wait to be called up, some tried to 

go upstairs, they were sent back down.

- It seemed that 1 set of numbers was for new DL's and those were called immediately, the other set seemed to be

for renewal, they were being called from 8.30.

- On call, had to go to desk # 11, where was given a formand had to fill in (only) my name, phone & sign.

The girl had pre-filled the remainder of the form. Was given a red number card and all docs incl. passport stayed with #11

- Then was told to go wait in the video-room , no video running. This probably to keep the "masses" organized. It was already 

very busy & crowded. Don't leave or hang out outside. You might miss the next call.

- About 30 min. later the officer who does the testing (very patient & exact & busy) called the first group by number and we had to line up

in the small cubicle where testing takes place. After detailed instructions in TH & E testing started.

*RED/GREEN/YELLOW, stand behind chair and line up as you become aware of number sequence.

*Depth-perception, line up the left red stick by using the remote (red arrow down) with the white stick in the box. Do it slowly and

try to get as close as possible, several failed the first time, 2 told me they had failed twice the day before and had to start over again today.

Bring your glasses if you need for a distance of about 3 meters. Try to raise your head, sitting down, then you might get a better view into the

black-box, which helps lining up a bit.

*No break-reaction-test, maybe broken? Pedals were there...

- After testing we were told to go back to the video room and after it filling up by about 9.40 a 45 minutes video was to be watched. Everybody

had to sign in a book to proof they were in the room.

- After the "entertaining, long video" everybody received all paperwork back and a payment form with old license, a new number etc. attached that we had to get to counter

# 15, long! lines. After payment another crowded wait to get photo taken and another shorter wait to be called to pick up the new license.

Just like immigration in Pattaya, the staff was very friendly, fast  and very patient with some difficult clients. They worked nonstop and fast, had it really well

planned, to get such an amount of people in/out within 3-4 hours. Well done..... Still some whingers....As usual! I was perfectly happy and had planned on full morning.

Actually left the building at 11.15 with more people in/out all the time.

Observations:  -  Sign outside "Please dress formally"  / Still most foreigners showing in shorts and flip-flops, some with wife-beaters. Lovely view.

-  5 years ago, there were MUCH fewer people. The place was packed today, off season.

- Coming very early might not help, even if you get upstairs first. The lines really start with payment and if your docs are handed back

towards the end after the first  video-showing , you end up at the end of the queue for payment and photo. I think I would have ended about the same time out, when arrived

around 9.30, avoiding the early rush-hour, or maybe even better afternoon. 12-13.00 lunchtime.

- We all know.....get an "extra-yr." if you renew AFTER your birthday.

Hope this info helps some new-comers. Clearly there were some people, who had wrong paperwork and not much of a clue overall. They should be on TV ? Good night. MS>

Thanks for the detailed report. Very useful.

No surprises about the paperwork.

All to the rules/common practice at other DLTs.

No med.cert. required for 5yr to 5yr by the rules.

One week after expiry date/birthday, gives almost 6 years.

So nothing changed.

1 hour ago, moonseeker said:

*No break-reaction-test, maybe broken? Pedals were there...

Broken! So not limited to upcountry. :biggrin:

Great stuff, Moonseeker. It so happens I will be back in town soon and first thing I need to do is renew my 5-year motorcycle licence. BD expired in April. Of course, I will need a certificate of residence. 

Despite all the wonderful detail  ?  you left out the cost. Is it still 500 baht per licence?

1 hour ago, catman20 said:

is it possible if you live in Pattaya maybe to renew your license from a office out in the sticks where it would be a lot less busy ?

I think it needs done in the province where you res cert is provided.

Someone can confirm??

3 hours ago, moonseeker said:

I paid a total of 860.- for car and bike. I think bike was 305.- & car 555.- 

Regards. MS>

Sounds like you had to pay an extra 50 Baht.

Has your address changed?

Address change cost 50 Baht.

From the price list:

private car DL: 500 + 5 = 505

private motorcycle DL: 250 + 5 = 255

What this ominous 5 Baht is?

I don't know for sure, something like "stamp duty"?

1 hour ago, JaiLai said:

I think it needs done in the province where you res cert is provided.

Someone can confirm??

I can neither confirm nor proof the opposite (which I assume as correct).

Wouldn't it be mentioned in the rules of the DLT, either in the Thai version or in the English content?

I can't remember having seen such a note.

AND from own experience:

in 2015 I did my motorcycle license from scratch at our nearest DLT in KK province ("our" province).

All participants had to briefly introduce themselves.

And there were some who came from neighboring Chaiyaphum province simply because our office was closer for them (both provinces are big and Chaiyaphum border is 5 km from our DLT).

And remember: so many Thai people work/stay far from their registered home address which they don't change for multiple reasons.

What a mess that would be to travel from Phuket to Nong Khai to do a DL extension.

12 hours ago, moonseeker said:

Sorry for formatting problems??? Did not look like this, when I saved it ?   Chrome??  Regards.   MS>

Thanks for the detailed report. I'll be doing exactly the same (5 year renewals for both bike and car) at the end of the month, as my birthday is on the 27th July. Good to know it doesn't take most of the day!

14 hours ago, moonseeker said:

Documents needed:   -  2 x original immigration residence form

Good report thanks but one question - You used to be able to get away with one original and one copy - do they definitely need 2 originals or is that just what you gave them? 

14 hours ago, moonseeker said:

2 x original immigration residence form

You should have tried giving them 1 original and 1 copy..and saved about 300 baht ? at Jomtien immigration for the residence certificate.

There is (at least one ) another DLT in Chonburi province   actually  in Chonburi town  its about 60Kms from Pattaya.
Chonburi DLT

https://www.google.com/maps/place/สำนักงานขนส่งจังหวัดชลบุรี/@13.4076127,100.9872079,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x311d361ad91a4dff:0x34d44a19fbdd0c9!8m2!3d13.4076127!4d100.9893966

Banglamung/Pattaya DLT

https://www.google.com/maps/@12.9687955,100.9726157,3a,75y,176.21h,70.73t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sRcqsFSf_E5byB-Yyk71DWw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Had my driving licenses for about 11 years (1+5+5), have to renew them after couple of months when get back to Thailand. Problem is that these days I travel with tourist visa. Does that mean that by the rules get only 2 years licenses this time?

2 hours ago, MuuDaeng said:

Had my driving licenses for about 11 years (1+5+5), have to renew them after couple of months when get back to Thailand. Problem is that these days I travel with tourist visa. Does that mean that by the rules get only 2 years licenses this time?

Unless you are lucky yes - but could also depend on the specific DLT centre.

1 hour ago, houstoniron said:

Does anyone know if the Pattaya driving license office accepts the Yellow housebook as proof of address?

ie no requirement to obtain a certificate of residence from immigration

Previous reports on TV said that the Pattaya DLT specifically do not accept the Yellow house book - but maybe someone with recent experience can confirm or deny?

3 hours ago, topt said:

Good report thanks but one question - You used to be able to get away with one original and one copy - do they definitely need 2 originals or is that just what you gave them? 

Renewed my bike and car license just recently, arrived with 2 original cert. of residence from jom. Imm, lady said only need 1,handed 1 back to me, tit so I guess Rafferty rules apply. 

4 hours ago, topt said:

Had received different feedback from friends. So I rather paid an extra one and had all in order. Sorry, can't answer that reliably. Yes, I just gave them 2. Regards. MS>

I think a second half morning or early afternoon is less crowded. Bring some water and all is over in a few hours. Really friendly and impressed how they are able to process so many people

so fast, with just a few staff. Good night. MS>

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, I don't know how DLT staff keep up the chatter and smiles during the daily invasions by hundreds of applicants, but they deserve a great big WAI and a thousand thanks for keeping the process moving and getting the job well done.  This is in an office that's woefully short of space and ill-maintained, probably serving three-four times more than capacity. 

Arrived a bit after 07:00 and checked in at 07:06, ticket No. 002, Desk 11. Was renewing my 5-year licence about 3 months late. Walked out with my new 5-year licence at 11:00. No medical paper required -- some were asking -- if you are getting another 5-year card. Cost 305 baht.

Tip: I booked a Grab taxi (private car) at about 06:30. Cost 330 baht from around Big C Extra to Chonburi Land Transport. Booked a return. Cost 410 due to extra distance different from my origin. Worked really well. The destination, as above, showed up on the Grab app map in English.

Archived