Asian black bear killed in Prachin Buri

webfact

Asian black bear killed in Prachin Buri

By The Nation

5d49af1b0ae029884e7ddd5253630de9-sld.jpe

Photos from Facebook page of Thap Lan Park

An Asian black bear that fell victim to a hit-and-run accident was found dead on a notorious highway in Prachin Buri’s Kabin Buri district Thursday morning, park officials said.

Park officials were alerted to collect the carcass of a large black bear lying in the middle of highway No 304 that cuts through forests and links Chacheongsao, Prachin Buri and Nakhon Ratchasima.

There were no witnesses to the accident but park officials believe the animal was killed by a speeding vehicle that fled the scene.

The bear was found near the Thap Lan National Park on the Kabin Buri-bound highway near kilometre marker 79.

So many wild animals have been killed on the highway near the park that the Highway Department is building a 570-metre-long underpass at the spot through which vehicles will be forced to drive.

The underpass is scheduled to be completed in December after which the road will be turned into a pass for wild animals to cross.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30349358

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-07-05

4 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

That's so sad... especially as their species in facing extinction.

I bet for the one dead animals found by the road there are dozens more that drag themselves off into the forest to die slowly.  

I hope you are wrong ! and overestimated it !!!

4 hours ago, webfact said:

So many wild animals have been killed on the highway near the park that the Highway Department is building a 570-metre-long underpass at the spot through which vehicles will be forced to drive.

This sounds good but I don't really understand.  That road stretches for many miles with forest either side, not just 570 metres.  So are the animals all crossing it at roughly the same point for some reason?  A valley perhaps?

22 minutes ago, partjfos said:

This sounds good but I don't really understand.  That road stretches for many miles with forest either side, not just 570 metres.  So are the animals all crossing it at roughly the same point for some reason?  A valley perhaps?

The Area where the highway has been turned into a fly over then tunnels is where ther was no dual carriageway as it went through an area where two National Park Joined. The Junta sort permission from the World Heritage to dual the road and provide safe passage for wild life as part of the deal. It is a bout 6 km from my house The other area of extensive work is as you go up the hill .This is being dualed to try to overcome a very bad accident black spot. Thai brake failure  because they don't use a low gear as the sign advises

5 hours ago, webfact said:

There were no witnesses to the accident but park officials believe the animal was killed by a speeding vehicle that fled the scene.

Almost feel sad for that poor dumb creature. Imagine driving around with that guilt for the rest of its life.

Then you'd halve a lot of animals' territories.  This is the problem with building roads through national parks.  In this area there're 3.  There's the one that cuts all the way through Khao Yai, the one that cuts all the way through Pang Sida and Thap Lan (more of a trail than a road and barely any vehicles use it) and the one mentioned in this article which is by far the busiest and widest.  At least the Khao Yai road has some speed bumps and is single lane but even there a leopard cat died on the road recently.  I nearly ran over a porcupine last time I was in Khao Yai and I wasn't speeding.

The Khao Yai and Pang Sida roads are most used by people visiting the park, so maybe they will be driving slower.  The one mentioned in this article is just a normal highway, so people will be driving from A to B as quickly as possible with no thought for wildlife.

1 hour ago, Darcula said:

Almost feel sad for that poor dumb creature. Imagine driving around with that guilt for the rest of its life.

I hope his/her car is very badly damaged and has no insurance.

1 hour ago, BuaBS said:

I hope his/her car is very badly damaged and has no insurance.

In poor light driver might have just thought it was a dog.  Even if they knew it was a bear, what are they supposed to do?  I wouldn't hang around either, there's no point if the animal is dead and if it's just badly wounded getting out of your car could be the worst thing to do.

Archived