Thailand’s Titanic Struggle

george

Wow - this is the best analysis I have read anywhere so far. Thanks for posting it!

Absolutely agree. Why aren't there more Thais like him and why aren't these kinds of expressions regularly voiced in Thai mass communications? I don't mean Matichon, I mean Daily News or Thai Rath.

Censorship aside...even without military rule, you rarely hear this kind of thing. Is it because of some kind of cultural phenomenon? Is it laziness? Is it just more as he puts it 'neo-feudalism"? (e.g. "It's all very difficult and no wants to tackle it, so just forget it until a Phooyai tells us what to do" - is that it?).

I agree we are in for some really turbulent times ahead. Think we all know that..

This is far, far, from over. Even in Thailand you can't keep denying the masses a right to a piece of prosperity - especially when they get a daily diet of it in those stupid soap operas (rich beautiful women in their Benz's and mansions). It's as unsustainable as fuedalism.

Edited by thaigene2

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only surprise here is that George posted something that actually mentions what we have all known to have been behind the clamour to oust Taksin and the September coup; but we have been pussyfooting around, alluding to, but never mentioning, for fear of having the thread closed.

That a condition such as above described should exist at all is, has been and will be a barrier to adapting to or achieving a free and open society. Censorship of this comment may follow, it will only prove the point.

Just what I was thinking , both of you.

If he's wrong, let it be proven in the Courts, not on the streets.

The 100+ billion bath evidence that is Suvanabhumi airport still is not apparent enough to you?

So where is the evidence of Thaksin corruption in that little quote?

Where is the evidence that Thaksin gained financially from the airport project?

I agree that corruption was rife on this project, I know first hand, I worked there for 2 years but you pick any mega infrastruture project past presant or future in Thailand that is not rife with corruption.

Government ministers most devinately gained but as yet, despite extensive investigations no evidence has been uncovered.

His only fault is that he used the law to his own benifit to not pay tax on his asset sales.

His only fault? Wow.... Man, I'm speechless. You need to open your mind a lot more. And I'm not gonna bother responding to the first part of your comment as you clearly contradicted yourself. First you asked for evidence, then tried to sort of backtracking it by saying that everyone did it. It's a pretty lame tiresome aplogistic argument that I've seen a million times before.

30 bht health care for the poor. (this alone has saved thousands of lives)

Cheap public housing for the poor.

Massive infrastructure upgrades.

Investment funds available to every village

The fight against drugs and the fight against Thai mafia.

Lottery reforms

Man I could go on and on.

You are speechless about what?

That I said no evidence of THAKSIN corruption exsists? you dispute this? then where is your evidence?

I agree there was a lot of corruption in the construction but NOT BY THAKSIN HIMSELF!

Again..

Khun Thitnan does indeed write in English quite well. I assume he also passes US Senator Biden's test of being clean and articulate. But really, a short little descriptive essay does not quite rise one to the level of brilliance.

Brilliant!!

At last a real snapshot of what is REALLY going on in Thai politics.

Thaksin tried to help the poor and was crucified for his efforts.

The article quoted above is a good assessment of Thai current politics. Unfortunately this quoted opinion is a highly simplistic and almost wholly erratic view of Taxin’s motives.

Khun Taxin, from his very earliest appearance on the business and political scene cynically used his crony network and the electorate to cement his personal hold on power.

Leaving aside his earlier business history of corrupt cronyism, allowing him to build up such a massive fortune, and his essential destruction of Palang Dharma party, just looking at TRT; he purchased all the votes he used to attain power by the simple expedient of promising 1M Baht to each village! Offering 50 or 500 Baht would have been illegal, and cost him money. 1 Million Baht of the country’s money cost him nothing….. Brilliant, but entirely cynical in motive.

Other populist schemes were introduced solely to concrete himself and his own kleptocracy in place. 30 Baht scheme. Lovely in principle, but disastrously under funded to the extent that many patients with curable conditions are being sent home to die carrying nothing but placebos rather than life-saving medication.

That is enough for now. There is no need to go into his attempts to usurp the royal family and/or detail the immense corruption he was responsible for.

The man is evil and the country is well rid of him.

When a political party in a western country promises tax cuts for the wealthy or tax breaks for those with families, do you regard that also as vote buying? Are all policies that win votes nothing more than vote buying?

The 100+ billion bath evidence that is Suvanabhumi airport still is not apparent enough to you?

So where is the evidence of Thaksin corruption in that little quote?

Where is the evidence that Thaksin gained financially from the airport project?

I agree that corruption was rife on this project, I know first hand, I worked there for 2 years but you pick any mega infrastruture project past presant or future in Thailand that is not rife with corruption.

Government ministers most devinately gained but as yet, despite extensive investigations no evidence has been uncovered.

His only fault is that he used the law to his own benifit to not pay tax on his asset sales.

His only fault? Wow.... Man, I'm speechless. You need to open your mind a lot more. And I'm not gonna bother responding to the first part of your comment as you clearly contradicted yourself. First you asked for evidence, then tried to sort of backtracking it by saying that everyone did it. It's a pretty lame tiresome aplogistic argument that I've seen a million times before.

I was going to stay out of this but this post is so outrageous it needs some response

Unfunded

Where ?

To the benefit of TRT goons involved in the construction projects

A bribe which was usually wasted on a pickup for the Poo Yai Bahn

The only mild benefit has been the OTOP scheme

Death squads and There was no fight against the Mafia

Lottery reforms

Introduction of another lottery to fund his largesse cannot be termed a reform

That I said no evidence of THAKSIN corruption exsists? you dispute this? then where is your evidence?

I agree there was a lot of corruption in the construction but NOT BY THAKSIN HIMSELF!

Again..

Lottery reforms

Again..

"30 bht health care for the poor. (this alone has saved thousands of lives)"

Hmmm, it's still argueable if this program's really been beneficial to the society as a whole. It's put heavy financial burdens on the hospitals and doctors, and resulted in shoddy medication. Had Thaksin not invaded the 7 billion bath in taxes, the program might have been run and funded more effectively.

"Cheap public housing for the poor."

The project was rigged with corruption and has been cancelled by the current government. The whole thing has been under investigation for fraud and corruption.

"Massive infrastructure upgrades."

Yeah, like the new airport and the never materialized 10 mass transit lines. The cracked pillars of the airport rail link. Awesome achievement indeed.

"Investment funds available to every village".

Vote buying policy that rarely bore fruit to the country as a whole. And similar to other Thaksin's populist projects, it resulted in 140+ billion in debt that the current and future governments will have to deal with.

"The fight against drugs and the fight against Thai mafia" and "Lottery reforms"

Yeah, nice work. I give him that.

As for the evidence of corruption in the construction of the new airport, err try to follow news or if you have time, stop by the airport and see it with your own eyes. I'm sure someone with common sense should be able to connect the dots. Your assertion that Thaksin, the man at the top, would have had nothing to do with it is just absolutely absurd and borderline idiotic. Seriously.

Edited by ThaiGoon

Analysis good?

Coup bad, therefore thesis that Thaksin should have been dealt with harsher by an unjust group brought to power through unjust action is lacking any legitimacy. Analysis therefore, bad.

If the Thai people lack the will to deal with lawbreakers under the law, then they deserve the lawbreaker that they allow to break the law. Coups have never been the solution to Thailand's problem. If they had, then the last fifteen or so would not have been needed. Thailand lacks the will to live by the law. This inability goes right through its entire society. Until it learns to deal with problems in legitimate ways, coups in Thailand will persist. Get ready for the counter coup!!!

Khun whomever's analysis is bad, bad, bad.

Edited by Maxwell Book

Khun Thitnan does indeed write in English quite well. I assume he also passes US Senator Biden's test of being clean and articulate. But really, a short little descriptive essay does not quite rise one to the level of brilliance.

Haha....Ajarn Thitnan was the first mainstream Thai who's clean and articulate.... Oh well.. :o

Unfortunately, Thaksin had a mandate and a unique opportunity to change Thailand for the better, and he blew it all through his own ego; greed; and despotic personality. He became a tyrant from too much power.

The "holy trinity of military, royalty, and beaurocracy" will take Thailand back to the dark ages. They are dinosaurs resurrected from the tar pits they blundered into, when they should have become extinct. :o

I come from a backround in midwestern U.S. politics and I can tell you firsthand how power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutly. I personally do not know how corrupt Taksin Shinawatra was, but I do know what the sentiment regarding Mr. Shinawatra in the Thai countryside is. I have been traveling in Thailand since early December, spending time in areas like Ubon, Korat, Rayong-Klaeng, Sattahip, and now in Chaingmai, not just in the urban areas but in the rural districts as well and I have never seen more unanimity in sentiment on a political front in my life. The popular support for Taksin is overwhelming. If a fair election were held today it is inconceiveable that Taksin would not win in a landslide. I have no dog in this fight, I decided to enter this post because I was shocked to find this out myself. I came here not so much as a tourist but as an investor and the input I have gotten from various real estate agents, tuk-tuk drivers, songthaew drivers, taxi drivers and merchants is be very careful investing in Thailand at this time. They all know first hand that their business is not good this year and rightly or wrongly they blame it on the military hunta. To her credit the finance minister did try to institute capital controls, but apparently either the military or the Thai elite shut her down because they were quickly removed. She saw the large inflow of hedge fund money into the Thai stock market and the real estate largley being bought up by speculators and not homeowners and her instinct to institute capital controls will turn out to be prophetic. If left completely alone the Thai baht would continue to strenghten for a while longer, and then as the hedge funds take their profits (and convert baht back to dollars and euros) and shrewd real estate speculators flip their properties the Thai baht will come crashing down and the real estate market bubble will begin to dellate in most of the country(Phuket seems to be immune at present but time will tell). I don't know if Taksin even wants to reenter politics in Thailand, but weather he does or not the pendulum has already swung too far and as Mr. Newton clearly noted every action has an equal and opposite reaction and so the effect on the Thai economy is inevitable. So much for my Saturday morning ramblings, just a word of caution to small investors overseas thinking that they will catch the wave of investment in Thailand, "caveat emptor". I have enjoyed my travels in Thailand immensely and I love the people and the country and I hope whatever does transpire politically and economically later this year is in the best longterm interest for them.

Whether 100 billion or more, a failure in engineering proves absolutely nothing and is a fallacious argument to make against the stated premise, intent and meaning of the notion that the place and only place for assessing criminal behaviour is the Courts and not in the streets. If you prefer mob rule over the rule of law, then your assessment would carry the day.

I never hear it mentioned, but one thing that rattled my chains about Thaksin was how he would have giant billboards erected all over (at least here in northernmost Thailand) ....showing him in an imposing stance, dressed in regal robes nearly identical to those worn by true royalty.

...his wanting to buy Liverpool FC was just plain excess (no big deal) - but to venture to use public money to put the club in his name?

...and why do we hear nothing more about the 'bomb threat' against him and his family? Does it magically become non-news, because he's out of town?

Whether 100 billion or more, a failure in engineering proves absolutely nothing and is a fallacious argument to make against the stated premise, intent and meaning of the notion that the place and only place for assessing criminal behaviour is the Courts and not in the streets. If you prefer mob rule over the rule of law, then your assessment would carry the day.

All right. Fair enough. But I just don't like the idea that if rich and powerful people are proven to be innocent by a court, and then that's it. It's never easy for any investigators and prosecutors to deal with slimy rich and well-connected people. Did you believe that OJ was innocent when he was acquitted? The legal systems don't get it right all the time. Sometimes common sense previals.

Edited by ThaiGoon

:D The only difference i can see Between Thaksin Bush Blair and the rest of the Greedy sons of Biatch,s that run the world is that he was a clever operator in a lesser League ergo he was open to more scrutiny ..The world is Full of corruption and the only difference Between East and West is that here in the West it has been finely Tuned and Honed Down into a Science ..So much so we Hardly notice it ..From Black Budget Military funding in the US to selling Peerage/Lordships for non refundable Loans to aid Political Parties here in The UK ...One thing is for sure WE ALL DESERVE BETTER .. Sadly i think the next time the world slips into a Major Recession i think its going to get ugly all around and at all levels unless our so called PEERS (even the fake ones) Pull their socks up and instead of lineing their own pockets, get a move on with such things as Employment, Housing, Mass Poverty and the Desparity of wealth and the enviroment ..Someone said earlier on this Thread that it is Naive to think like this ..But i don,t Agree ...Bad things only happen in the Absence of Good People doing nothing ..and i Personally find it uplifting that this Thai guy a person who People will actually sit up and take notice of has laid it all on the line ..We could do with a few more like him here in the West ..All we have is the Enviromentalists and they are being ignored....

:D Ok Rant over with but i do feel better :o

I never hear it mentioned, but one thing that rattled my chains about Thaksin was how he would have giant billboards erected all over (at least here in northernmost Thailand) ....showing him in an imposing stance, dressed in regal robes nearly identical to those worn by true royalty.

...his wanting to buy Liverpool FC was just plain excess (no big deal) - but to venture to use public money to put the club in his name?

...and why do we hear nothing more about the 'bomb threat' against him and his family? Does it magically become non-news, because he's out of town?

attempts are made to try to cover all the bases, brahmburgers..... :o

from the thread:

Big Gains For Families With Links To Thaksin

comes this:

180px-Thaksin.jpg

Skip, you mean this uniform/cloak looking thing? My wife just mentioned that she had never seen anything like it before. Could be that it was introduced by or accepted by Thaksin to appease his feelings of " grandeur"

Edited by sriracha john

He has managed though to simplify the political situation far enough so that this thread suddenly attracts several hundred posters that usually are not found in the political debates here in the newsfolder, and several posters who previously only applauded the junta now think this little essay is just brilliant :o .

But yes, the tone of the essay is quite correct, and if it makes the complex situation here a bit more clear for some, then it has achieved its purpose, appearantly.

The words in post #40: ....just a word of caution to small investors overseas thinking that they will catch the wave of investment in Thailand, "caveat emptor" .... could well be repeated everywhere these days, and without including "overseas" or "in Thailand".

All over the world, we have small, medium and large investors chasing speculative gains in companies, corporations, institutions, financial instruments and financial markets that those investors don't understand. They would do no worse if they took a pin, closed their eyes, stuck it in a race card, and then went and bet their money on a horse and its jockey.

The only difference is that the latter behaviour makes bookmakers rich, whereas it is 'hedge-fund managers' and their ilk who are raking in largesse from people 'investing' their money in they know not what.

The tragedy, when it all soon comes unstuck, for the small speculator (misnamed 'investor') will be the prospect of a lot less pension than hoped for. But, before pension-time, the effects of mis-investment by the medium and large speculators (misnamed 'investors) may well be that that small speculator loses his/her job in the economic downturn.

Thailand won't 'do a Titanic' though. There will still be (in the words of the Sukhothai inscription) "rice in the fields and fish in the water" ample to feed its populace.

As to currency volatility, the US$ may well hit 25.

Go back to page 1 and review the curriculum vitae offered for our review. This man has done considerably more than a short little essay, his range and depth of experience speaks for itself.

Educationally, he achieved a Doctoral degree at one of the USA's finest universities, noted for their acumen in his field, has won prestigious awards from the UK and Germany and posted many germaine articles in the Bangkok Post. His rapid rise at the University where he is head of his Department is remarkable.

It is to George's credit that an article of this quality and content was brought to our attention as it emanates from the Irrawaddy, a group of exiled Myanmar dissidents and not from a mainstream Thai publication.

So the answer is yes, this man more than surpasses the Biden test and can hardly be seen as wet behind the ears. He is the kind of Thai who has a career in assessing as well as working within the body politic, buttressed by considerable education, both in and out of Thailand, the USA, UK and other parts of the world.

But what he's not is an apologist for Thaksin, review the articles he's written and then come back to the table.

Thaksin was a low ranked Policeman. In probably the shortest time on record, he was a billionaire.

He first made a stack of money with his father-in-law who was a police general. By handing out concessions for massage parlours and gambling dens they made a war chest to invest in computers.

Thaksin left the police and started a computer and technology company that supplied computers to the police at the usual over-inflated price.

He then moved into mobile phones and took charge of that industry through massive bribes to the Generals in power.

After he took power he made sure all the concessions were highly stacked in his favour, competition was virtually shut out.

The new airport was just a continuation of the way this man has always done business. I don't know why people are so shocked.

Barnharn has made a fortune with a 40 year monopoly of the steel industry.

Chavalit made his fortune dealing in various dubious dealings like logging.

Chalerm Yubumrung runs the trucking mafia

Most politicions in Thailand are simply crooks. They are in politics only to protect their business interests.

Most of the large Chinese moguls of Thailand are connected to both a bank and political party.

The banking warlords are the root of a lot of the problems. They turn a blind eye and help massive amounts of money move offshore.

In the west the Swiss hold billions worth of funds that are basically stolen from poor countries.

They actually pretend they don't know where all the cash comes from.

The status quo must be protected. Hypocrites the lot of 'em :o

The Irrawaddy mostly have great in depth stories about Junta's. It is because they are the voice of the Burmese people. And likewise they know that the Thai "elite" clique is no different than that of Burma. The constitution drafting process is equally flawed. Let's wait and see...

All right. Fair enough. But I just don't like the idea that if rich and powerful people are proven to be innocent by a court, and then that's it. It's never easy for any investigators and prosecutors to deal with slimy rich and well-connected people. Did you believe that OJ was innocent when he was acquitted? The legal systems don't get it right all the time. Sometimes common sense previals.

No one likes the idea of rich and powerful getting a free ride but please listen to yourself. You said, ....are proven to be innocent by a court,.... and if I hear you correctly, yes, based upon his being proven to tbe innocent, then the answer is a resounding YES..........that it is difficult is neither here nor there, the justice system either stands or it fails. There have been a series of high exposure trials of super wealthy people, like Ken Lay, congressmen and others that resulted in guilty verdicts. Surely, if the evidence so often spouted by others in this forum is so blatantly obvious, including allegations of wholesale slaughter, then no amount of well connected people will gain his freedom.

What you're really saying is that you lack faith in the legal system and rule of law and if that's the case, indeed, it's a hopeless exercise to think that Thailand can ever prosper or make any headway for their people.

Unlike you, I'm not blessed with omniscience or the kind of common sense that allows me to join you and others in condemnation of another without proof, guilt by appearance or........and this may be closer to the truth, envy of a rich man. This man was already super wealthy before taking office.

Because we all know, don't we, that if a man gains wealth, he must be slimy and/or so well connected that he cannot be found guilty. While this may have bee true at one time, it is not the case in this kind of high profile situation. The eyes and ears of the world will be zeroed in on such a case. If thre are any well connected people, watch them run like rats deserting a sinking ship. Or turn against Thaksin to save their own skin, take your pick. But let's agree to do it right, not out in front of a fishmarket.

I just happen to have been personally acquainted with several of the OJ lawyers on both sides. Justice was not served well, at least not in my opinion. Jury nullification transcended justice in favour of clelebrity and racial disharmony, all of which were in play. Unfortunately, I was a huge OJ fan at one time and felt badly that he was set free. But that's a very small example upon which to rest your case, there are far more cases that point a path to justice despite the wealth of the man in the docket. And most especially so when graft, corruption and abuse of power over the common person can be proven.

What Thailand does not need, at this juncture, is a trial on the streets and the military coup might have exercised better judgment by carrying out their junta while Thaksin was in country, followed by an immediate trial. That they chose to do otherwise will always be a mystery to me.

Most politicions in Thailand are simply crooks. They are in politics only to protect their business interests.

Hah! That should read "most politicians the world over are crooks". Just because we're better at hiding the corruption in the west doesn't mean it's not there.

I can point to our ex-pres Bill Clinton as a shining example. The man grew up middle class, worked for the government his entire life, yet somehow (wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more) managed to become a multi-millionaire. And when his mother said live on CNN she wouldn't vote for him because he was a pathological liar, CNN never repeated the story and no other press would touch it. So much for a free press looking out for the interests of the people.

Remember the old Chinese saying: Power attracts the corruptible.

In the vast majority of cases, changing governments simply changes who's pockets the money goes into.

What a patronising comment.Khun Thitnan does not write English "quite well" but flawlessly.Incidentally,if you don't mind me assuming the role of a pedant, the proper usage in the context of your post is "raise" not "rise".It is, as you might be aware, far more challenging to encapsulate an argument succinctly rather than ramble on endlessly until all the points are eventually covered.Khun Thitnan does this very well and summarises the current political situation fairly and concisely.Like it or not the intellectual discipline required in taking advanced degrees at John Hopkins and LSE does make itself apparent.

As Colpyat has already pointed out, there is an irony in certain posters praising the article given their previous rather one dimensional take on events.I think this just demonstrates the need for an intelligent, knowledgeable and fair minded authority to summarise from time to time.Certainly I do not expect that you learnt anything new, but I suspect a large number did.

Wow - this is the best analysis I have read anywhere so far. Thanks for posting it!

Absolutely agree. Why aren't there more Thais like him and why aren't these kinds of expressions regularly voiced in Thai mass communications? I don't mean Matichon, I mean Daily News or Thai Rath.

I can tell you one reason why. Dr. Thitinan, aka Jay Hubbard, was raised from a young age in the USA. He was therefore exposed at an early age to a different way of seeing things. That is not something that is easy to acquire at a later stage in life.

".... the military coup might have exercised better judgment by carrying out their junta while Thaksin was in country, followed by an immediate trial. That they chose to do otherwise will always be a mystery to me."

Maybe they followed the dictum: "Always leave your enemy one bridge over which he can retreat".

I have seen it written somewhere, that at a former coup The Three Tyrants were sent a message that "there would no impediment placed in their way if they chose to drive to Don Muang and fly from the country".

(And, if the story that Taksin packed 60 suitcases for his trip abroad (which was supposedly only to last ten days) is true, it would indicate that there were happenings 'behind the scenes' that weren't revealed!)

However, the putsch did not put away Thaksin politically for the myriad corruption accusations and alleged abuses of power that hounded his five-year rule.

Great and depressing article. Since Thailand seems to be having these putsches, I do find the word putsch too German for Thailand, and they should have a word of their own.

How about tutsch?

(This is a joke that maybe five people will get, but I have no self control.)