Phuket tour boats overturn in storm, rescue mission launched

snoop1130

Why not close ports for tourist boats if have dangerous conditions ? Clearly captains can’t be trusted to postpone or cancel trips when conditions are unsafe. This happens every year. Someone needs to protect the tourists and their families. 

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why not close ports for tourist boats if have dangerous conditions ? Clearly captains can’t be trusted to postpone or cancel trips when conditions are unsafe. This happens every year. Someone needs to protect the tourists and their families. 

9 hours ago, Maverell said:

Sorry to be a bit cynical, but these boat operators knew exactly what the weather conditions were like, and the forecast, but as always money is the driving factor. Not safety.

Exactly. Done for the same reason Maya Bay was destroyed- greed.

4 hours ago, ukrules said:

The sea in the pictures doesn't look that rough to me. Maybe these photos were taken after 'the storm'.

I have to question how sea worthy these vessels are.

It's difficult sometimes to get a "real" picture of high seas....with peaks and troughs showing.

Seaworthy vessels....some are and some a heaps of junk!

11 hours ago, pistachios said:

I haven't dived for a while around Phuket but the biggest boat I have ever boarded had about 40 divers max, it seems incredible to host 97 people on a diving boat.

How can a boat this size can capsize in those waters? It's not the roaring forties...

Is it like an old big fishing boat refurbished and with many decks added that would drastically worsen its stability?

Thai safety compliance regulations..

11 hours ago, pistachios said:

I haven't dived for a while around Phuket but the biggest boat I have ever boarded had about 40 divers max, it seems incredible to host 97 people on a diving boat.

How can a boat this size can capsize in those waters? It's not the roaring forties...

Is it like an old big fishing boat refurbished and with many decks added that would drastically worsen its stability?

well cars also have a strange habit to overturn when they are drived by irresponsables...

‘Divers to check sunken boat for Chinese tourists,’ says Phuket Governor

1530841403_1-org.jpg

The boat, which had left Koh Racha to return to Phuket, was carrying 105 passengers, the majority Chinese tourists. Photo: Kritsada Muenhawong / AFP

PHUKET: The search for dozens of missing Chinese tourists whose boat capsized off Phuket yesterday afternoon resumed early today, with divers poised to scour the sunken hull, the local governor told reporters.

The Phoenix dive boat ran into trouble yesterday (July 5), when it was hammered by five-metre high waves that had been whipped up by a storm.

The boat, which had left Koh Racha to return to Phuket, was carrying 105 passengers, the majority Chinese tourists.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/divers-to-check-sunken-boat-for-chinese-tourists-says-phuket-governor-67765.php#EKmEWmAmkFlmvGPP.99 

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-07-06

13 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Not surprised boats got in trouble in that wind. I am surprised they were out there and hadn't made all haste back to shore before the weather hit. 

It was forecast and even I knew it was coming.

Hope all are ok.

Unfortunately Greed Rules in that business.  Safety of passengers does not seem to matter.

16 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

inappropriate use of the word "carnage" in heading......only 7 missing as of last update

Where did you read that information. News reports within the last hour talk about dozens missing. So far only one dead reported, 

5 hours ago, ukrules said:

The sea in the pictures doesn't look that rough to me. Maybe these photos were taken after 'the storm'.

I have to question how sea worthy these vessels are.

People tend to question the seaworthiness of boats that have sank.

4-5 metres waves hit my boat, says Captain

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

S__6176789.jpg

The Captain of the dive boat ‘Phoenix’ claims that four metres wave hit the boat causing it to sink.

Smoking Boontham, captain of the dive boat ‘Phoenix’, was carrying 105 passenger – 93 tourists, 12 boat crew and tour guides – says, “Yesterday (July 5) we left Chalong Pier at 9am heading to Koh Racha. After that we were heading back to Chalong pier at 4:30pm.”

“When we were near Mong Cape, about two nautical miles from Koh Hei, 4-5 metres wave hit the front part of our boat. Sea water flushed inside the vessel. The water pump was not fast enough to pump water out and the boat began to lean.”

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/4-5-metres-waves-hit-my-boat-says-captain

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-07-06

Two things could have happened here. IMO.

1. They left doors, hatches open which allowed sea water into the bottom of the boat. (Unlikely as even with all the hatches open it would take a long time for a significant amount of water to get in.)

2. The hull was breached by the force of the waves.

56 still missing as search continues off Phuket

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

S__24428926-1.jpg

Latest update as of 9am Thailand Time, from the Phuket PR Office, states that one Chinese tourist has been found dead and 56 are still missing in two major marine incidents yesterday afternoon (July 5).

Chinese tourists are still missing following the capsize off Phuket. Divers are currently scouring the sunken vessel, the Phoenix, for missing people. The tour boat was one of two reported to have capsized. Many other vessels raced for cover in the difficult sea conditions but have reported their position and their passenger numbers to authorities. 12 boats sought shelter off Koh Racha last night waiting for the weather to abate.

Phuket’s Governor Norraphat Plodthong spoke to the media this morning.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/56-still-missing-as-search-continues-off-phuket

thtthaiger.png

10 hours ago, Maverell said:

Sorry to be a bit cynical, but these boat operators knew exactly what the weather conditions were like, and the forecast, but as always money is the driving factor. Not safety.

We can speculate on these incidents. why and if . If they knew about the incoming storms which i would think they knew (yes) then you are most likely correct (its all about the money) then again s##t happens .   hope they can find them all safe ? 

16 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Tour boat, tour bus they all end up upside down...

It's a turny over kind of country !!

Guess old Capitano didn't check the weather forecast before setting out for the day, or was this a freak storm that appeared with no warning ??

The bad weather forecast was reported in advance. Captains sailed and took the risk as to be honest it did not look too bad for most of the day. The hellish front arrived about 16.00 and lasted about 2 hours. A weaker front swept through about 06.00 and lasted about 30 minutes. Guess they all thought all over after the early morning winds. 

32 minutes ago, webfact said:

4-5 metres waves hit my boat, says Captain

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

S__6176789.jpg

The Captain of the dive boat ‘Phoenix’ claims that four metres wave hit the boat causing it to sink.

Smoking Boontham, captain of the dive boat ‘Phoenix’, was carrying 105 passenger – 93 tourists, 12 boat crew and tour guides – says, “Yesterday (July 5) we left Chalong Pier at 9am heading to Koh Racha. After that we were heading back to Chalong pier at 4:30pm.”

“When we were near Mong Cape, about two nautical miles from Koh Hei, 4-5 metres wave hit the front part of our boat. Sea water flushed inside the vessel. The water pump was not fast enough to pump water out and the boat began to lean.”

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/4-5-metres-waves-hit-my-boat-says-captain

thtthaiger.png

Good to see the captain and crew were not among the missing.

The captain looks to have stayed dry so I guess he was able to get into a life raft ok.

14 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Good to see the captain and crew were not among the missing.

The captain looks to have stayed dry so I guess he was able to get into a life raft ok.

Just when you think Thais don't take any notice of/learn from world wide events..

This skipper learnt from the Costa Concordia incident...

Archived