Phuket tour boats overturn in storm, rescue mission launched

snoop1130

3 minutes ago, saminoz said:

Exactly right!  Anyone with a reasonable amount of seagoing experience should be able to recognise this scenario and act accordingly.

As the old adage says: "the right time to take in sail in such conditions, is when you first think of it".

The "captain's" experience and qualifications should be put under a microscope, as should the construction, modification history, maintenace and safety inspection records of this passenger vessel.

Of course, this being Thailand..............................

"Of course, this being Thailand.............................."  AKA, TIT. :thumbsup:

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, saminoz said:

Exactly right!  Anyone with a reasonable amount of seagoing experience should be able to recognise this scenario and act accordingly.

As the old adage says: "the right time to take in sail in such conditions, is when you first think of it".

The "captain's" experience and qualifications should be put under a microscope, as should the construction, modification history, maintenace and safety inspection records of this passenger vessel.

Of course, this being Thailand..............................

Hahahahaha, you're funny!!

reasonable amount of experience.......there are a lot of those in Thailand.....as truck trivers, pick-ups, motorcycle drivers, and and and........but that means NOTHING unless they learned to take respnsibility and respect their neighbors at home or on sea or on roeads.

This article describes a tragedy, and tomorrow we will have somewhere in Thailand the next. Business as usual with one difference: this time in one night only more than 50 people are in severe danger. 3rd world's daily business.

18 minutes ago, Old York said:

Probably a line squall caused by a front of linked thunderstorms with a distinctive roll cloud in front. Often fast moving with very high winds for about 20 mins. Boats should ride it out with their bow to the wind and waves and when it has passed over resume course to shore. An experienced crew should recognise this phenomenon and take appropriate action.

Quite correct. I watched both line fronts rolling in from my Kata balcony. First about 06.00 and second about 16.00. Quite visible about an hour before hit my house.  First was about 30 minutes, Second about 2 hours. The second one at 16,00. I phoned my wife who was driving back from Phang-na to warn her of storm on way, She parked and sheltered up.

11 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

Hahahahaha, you're funny!!

reasonable amount of experience.......there are a lot of those in Thailand.....as truck trivers, pick-ups, motorcycle drivers, and and and........but that means NOTHING unless they learned to take respnsibility and respect their neighbors at home or on sea or on roeads.

This article describes a tragedy, and tomorrow we will have somewhere in Thailand the next. Business as usual with one difference: this time in one night only more than 50 people are in severe danger. 3rd world's daily business.

There's nothing funny about this at all.  It's a human tragedy and another bloody disgrace!

You have to ask yourself; "whenever are they going to wake up, wise up, take responsibility and learn from these disasters?".  The answer is, as always, probably never because it's just not the Thai way.

I do share your frustrations my friend!

14 hours ago, pistachios said:

I haven't dived for a while around Phuket but the biggest boat I have ever boarded had about 40 divers max, it seems incredible to host 97 people on a diving boat.

How can a boat this size can capsize in those waters? It's not the roaring forties...

Is it like an old big fishing boat refurbished and with many decks added that would drastically worsen its stability?

The answer is here :

"Length 90 feet, passenger capacity 55 guests. "

https://www.phoenixdiverskohtao.com/facilities-boats/

The answer is here :

"Length 90 feet, passenger capacity 55 guests. "

https://www.phoenixdiverskohtao.com/facilities-boats/
So there you go. You can do the maths with 53 people still missing.
Boat was clearly overloaded and therefore not enough rescue equipment on board.

Another boat obviously adhered at least to the regulations of the passenger capacity.

"A boat named Zanetta capsized in the same area with all 39 passengers rescued, officials said."

1 minute ago, CLW said:

Another boat obviously adhered at least to the regulations of the passenger capacity.

"A boat named Zanetta capsized in the same area with all 39 passengers rescued, officials said."

Are we sure this was the boat?  I thought they reported that the boat was Phuket based, not KT.  If this is the case, then I would expect to see the usual KT defenders turning up in droves, but nary a sign of them yet.

If this is the boat, then we can probably add these poor unfortunates to the constatly growing list of KT homicides - this one through greed and negligence.

13 Bodies Found After Phuket Boat Capsized, Officials Say

By Khaosod English

36735832_1207665982707975_83494198593978

Rescue workers respond to the boat accident in Phuket on Thursday night.

PHUKET — Thirteen people were confirmed dead in a tourist boat accident off the coast of Phuket island, a state news site reports Friday.

The first body was found early Friday, and 12 more were found just before noon, according to Thai News Agency. Forty-three people are also still missing after the boat carrying them capsized amid rough waves in the seas Thursday.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2018/07/06/13-bodies-found-after-phuket-boat-capsized-officials-say/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-07-06

8 minutes ago, CLW said:

Koh Tao, nothing to do with this.

The boat was bigger and certified for more people.

4 minutes ago, saminoz said:

Are we sure this was the boat?  I thought they reported that the boat was Phuket based, not KT.  If this is the case, then I would expect to see the usual KT defenders turning up in droves, but nary a sign of them yet.

If this is the boat, then we can probably add these poor unfortunates to the constatly growing list of KT homicides - this one through greed and negligence.

Different boat, the post you're reacting to is uninformed.

49 minutes ago, saminoz said:

A bit late for that don't you think?

Seventeen more bodies plucked from Phuket sea, 39 still missing

By The Nation

6c0bd78822f687dcc2072d804222f720.jpeg

Navy sailors have located 17 more bodies from the sea off Phuket, raising the number of confirmed deaths in boat accidents to 18, while 39 Chinese tourists remain missing.

Officials aboard HTMS Long Lom recovered 12 bodies at 10.50am near the location where the tour boat Phoenix sank after being slammed by huge waves on its way back to Phuket from Koh Racha Thursday afternoon.

The Phoenix was carrying 105 people – 93 passengers and 12 crew and tour guides.

The body of one passenger was recovered on Thursday night.

An official aboard the Long Lom said five more bodies had been recovered off Koh Mai Thon, about two kilometres east of the place the Phoenix capsized.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30349466

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-07-06

Koh Tao, nothing to do with this.

The boat was bigger and certified for more people.
Okay. Sorry for the post and leading to confusion.
I was just referring to another, obviously wrong post / information.
Obviously there are other vessels named Phoenix as well.
Would be interesting to see some data about the involved vessel.

1 hour ago, ostyan said:

Business.... money..... baht, baht, baht

Exactly what i thought. Nobody can tell me that they did not knew about the weather forecast. But the money is more important, so they took the risk. Those responsible should be taken to justice. Those vesels are not made to withstand such rough sea. This is Thailand. Unbelievable 49 probably died now!

3 minutes ago, CLW said:

Okay. Sorry for the post and leading to confusion.
I was just referring to another, obviously wrong post / information.
Obviously there are other vessels named Phoenix as well.
Would be interesting to see some data about the involved vessel.

As I said earlier, my guess would be 35 meters or so, and certified for 100 passengers (could be 80 or 120, but I think 100). It was a big boat, my guess would be top heavy though.

The boat did tours with Chinese snorkelers, and on board trying to upsell to diving. Hence not that many tanks and relatively small divedeck, so bigger lounge areas.

10 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Different boat, the post you're reacting to is uninformed.

That's why I initially posed the question!

I guess that there are many boats called the Phoenix.

Still, doesn't take away from the general theme that these cretins do not seem to be able to take their roles serously and that they never, ever seem to learn from these costly mistakes.

3 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

sorry make that 18 dead.

the sh*t is going to hit the fan at the Chinese embassy today.

That number will rise considerably unfortunately, all missing are probably floating around or still in the boat.

3 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

sorry make that 18 dead.

the sh*t is going to hit the fan at the Chinese embassy today.

18 dead, still 39 missing so we're probably looking at a 50+ total.

I do hope the Chinese kick up a fuss.

This shit just keeps on happening.

It just speculations but on that vessel Phoenix there has been unfortunately something going very wrong.
Media reporting that the missing passengers are trapped in the boat when it sunk. One just can imagine the horrible scenes on board. RIP to the victims.
Let's wait further details from the passengers that have been rescued and from captain and the crew.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

The pictures in this article are credited to the Phuket Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation.

Prevention:  the act or practice of stopping something bad from happening : the act of preventing something : the act or practice of keeping something from happening.

Mitigation: the process or result of making something less severe, dangerous, painful, harsh, or damaging.

Since Prevention and Mitigation seems to have slipped their minds, they will be known for now as the Phuket Department of Nice Photography at Sea.

I believe the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation's primary role here to to mitigate and prevent any negative impacts to Thai tourism that might otherwise result from the latest episode of mass (multiple) tourist deaths and casualties due to operator negligence.

2 minutes ago, CLW said:

It just speculations but on that vessel Phoenix there has been unfortunately something going very wrong.
Media reporting that the missing passengers are trapped in the boat when it sunk. One just can imagine the horrible scenes on board. RIP to the victims.
Let's wait further details from the passengers that have been rescued and from captain and the crew.

Another Sewol?

Really sad this, that's a lot of people in one go, many of them children with no say in the matter. The entire planet focused trying to get 13 people out of a cave alive, while so many just perished in one swoop.. This is really really sad, regardless of who is at fault..

RIP..

1 hour ago, LivinginKata said:

Quite correct. I watched both line fronts rolling in from my Kata balcony. First about 06.00 and second about 16.00. Quite visible about an hour before hit my house.  First was about 30 minutes, Second about 2 hours. The second one at 16,00. I phoned my wife who was driving back from Phang-na to warn her of storm on way, She parked and sheltered up.

Just curious, do you or any other of the locals there know if there ever was any followup on what happened to the captain and crew in terms of being held responsible for this prior episode?

https://www.thephuketnews.com/injured-tourist-from-speedboat-explosion-transferred-to-phuket-hospital-65591.php

Archived