Warning: Don't fall for the ED Visa trick!

I am currently looking for a teaching job. Perhaps more hopeful than on guard, I fell for a scam, exercised by a South African (judging by the accent) guy with a Dutch name. He contacted me by phone, after I had answered a job advert on Craigslist. He asked me to travel to a school, where he was supposed to meet me, which he didn't.. I worked there all day. In the evening the guy called me (I had still not had a chance to meet him in person), asking me whether I'd be interested to get an ED Visa, to which I agreed. He then asked me to send him copies of my passport, visa, and photo. He sent me a copy of the information page of his bankbook, asking me for a deposit for the visa, without even having possession of my passport. - It seems to me that this is a scam! My dilemma is now, how, without even a written employment contract, can I get my hands on the pay for my day's work?

ED visa is for students, not teachers.

i wouldnt give my money to anyone i dont know home address on,

so i would insist on meeting him in his condo for any payment,

i would make it a deal breaker

3 hours ago, tropo said:

How can you possibly think this only SEEMS to be a scam? There is no pay for your day's work. 

How much did he ask you to deposit on his account? Did you?

I chose my words carefully. And yes, he earlier mentioned 18,000 baht for a year-long ED Visa.

On 7/6/2018 at 3:28 AM, poanoi said:

ED visa is for students, not teachers.

i wouldnt give my money to anyone i dont know home address on,

so i would insist on meeting him in his condo for any payment,

i would make it a deal breaker

Why bother, as you said yourself, ED visas are for people who want to study, not for teaching.

Don't waste any more time with the african, move on. 

On 7/5/2018 at 11:57 PM, john donut said:

sounds like he had good reason not to want to meet you,
illegal worker, potential visa overstayer probably on the american absconding crim list like all the other refugees from that place

Careful with your generilisation John donut , I have so far not heard of a South African ( maybe through ignorance you think Africa is a country ) that has overstayed their visa . I for one was in Thailand for 2.5 years , just returned to my beautiful country , and never had one immigration problem in Thailand , no border runs , just good old legal visa backed up with sufficient funds .

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 9:45 PM, StayinThailand2much said:

I am currently looking for a teaching job. Perhaps more hopeful than on guard, I fell for a scam, exercised by a South African (judging by the accent) guy with a Dutch name. He contacted me by phone, after I had answered a job advert on Craigslist. He asked me to travel to a school, where he was supposed to meet me, which he didn't.. I worked there all day. In the evening the guy called me (I had still not had a chance to meet him in person), asking me whether I'd be interested to get an ED Visa, to which I agreed. He then asked me to send him copies of my passport, visa, and photo. He sent me a copy of the information page of his bankbook, asking me for a deposit for the visa, without even having possession of my passport. - It seems to me that this is a scam! My dilemma is now, how, without even a written employment contract, can I get my hands on the pay for my day's work?

Write it off to experience

On 7/6/2018 at 5:25 AM, ChakaKhan said:

Welcome to Thailand --A Hotspot for Scammers

...and apparently a hub for those gullible enough to fall for the most obvious scam and who then rush to Thai Visa to demonstrate how credulous they are.

21 hours ago, tweedledee2 said:

South is a geographical region of a country or location. Maybe he's not South African but just another low-life, scumbag, scammer from Africa or its gene pool.

With a dutch name ?  Then he is a white S.African.

Most likely he didn't give his correct name.

The local Thai - English school here have english teachers working for them on ED visas. When local autorities comes, they are students not teachers, and thats how they get away with it.

They charge 30 000 for a year ED visa. 

2 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

This is, supposedly, an "ED Visa" (extension) for 18,000 baht. What do you think: the stamp legit or fake?

10837.jpg

Looks like you've been scammed, mate. Get this fixed before 7 Aug.

3 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

This is, supposedly, an "ED Visa" (extension) for 18,000 baht. What do you think: the stamp legit or fake?

10837.jpg

You paid 18,000 Baht for a 3-month stamp? ?

Find out on August 7th whether it's genuine or a fake.

Archived