30,000 baht Farang

NoHabla

Hello,

I have been a frequent flier to Thailand, well, since God knows when.  Anyway things were always good.  I got married to a Thai lady before, and it didn't work out.  But hey, it was okay, we didn't have kids.  And she married a very wealthy man and definitely got the better part of the bargain.

So here's where things get sticky.  My life was always pretty good.  Making heaps of cash and so forth.  Good jobs.  But then I became disabled.  My disability check is only 30,000 baht a month, and I'm American.  I have no problem getting dates with girls in Bangkok and Rayong, but as soon as the topic switches over to money, I tell them about my disability check and my health problems, and they're just like: “What the hell?  Why farang man make so little money?  Sorry, I'll pass.”

I mean, to be fair, its not just Thailand, my income is a deal breaker back home in the USA, too.  With practically everyone.  The only reason I am able to survive is because I live in my family's house. 

Are there any Thai ladies who are not like this?  Where can I find them?  Usually when I meet Thai women who only make 10,000-20,000 baht a month they speak no English.  I've been trying to learn Thai for 15 years and have given up. My farang friends keep trying to get me to go over to Cambodia to hunt for women, but honestly, I am scared to death. I look so obviously farang and I am rail thin. I am the type of guy you read about in the newspaper who was taken for an ATM cruise and then left for dead in a dark alley full of bullets.

Thanks.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, champers said:

You couldn't afford, or be legally allowed, to stay in Thailand on just 30K Baht a month. I suspect you may be a troll. I look forward to seeing what others think.

Yes you can.  Some english schools pay 30,000 baht/month salaries to english teachers in Esan.  I know this for a fact.

5 minutes ago, Happy Grumpy said:

You multiply that by twenty, then break the news in the morning that you're not very good at currency exchange rates. 

No I really do get less than 1000 USD per month.  Most people on disability do.  Very few get more than that.  I get my disability from another agency, but I am working on processing a SSDI claim.  I can collect from both.  But it is a very long and tedious process, my lawyer is working on it.

And on the "you can't afford to stay in Thailand"?  What?

There are many apartments in Khon Kaen for 5000 a month.

I eat street food.  I never spend more than 250 baht a day on street food.  250 x 30 = 7500.

5000 + 7500 = 12500.

Some of you must be living like King Farouk or something.  No, this isn't a troll.  Whatever.

2 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Why Thailand? Sounds like you should be heading for Central or South America.

I am just more comfortable in Thailand.  Ive been going there since 2004 and I've never felt unsafe there.  The only semi-safe Latin American country that will take retirees earning less than a thousand is Colombia, which again, is only semi-safe.  There's a very fragile peace treaty there with the FARC.  And to compound the issue, ATM cruises are VERY COMMON.  A very famous expat was just killed in Bogotá AFTER he had withdrawn all of his cards limits on an ATM cruise.  Yes I speak spanish, but even as a Latino person, I just don't feel comfortable there.  Never have.

2 minutes ago, scorecard said:

ATM cruise?

Basically what happens is, a gang of thieves spots a foreigner, usually travelling alone, and target him.  They take you at gun/knife point and drive you around to ATMs across the city and have you withdraw your cash.  What normally happens is, they worry you will be able to identify them to the police, and worry that threats and intimidation isn't enough, so they just kill you, and that problem is solved.  Its very common in Central America, Colombia, Peru, and places like that.

36 minutes ago, NoHabla said:

Also, if you are married to a Thai person, you can stay in Thailand.

Not on 30,000 per month you can't. Married you need an income of 40,000. Retired you need 65,000 per month.

2 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Not on 30,000 per month you can't.

Where is this law?  Show it to me.  I've never heard of that before.  Foreigners married to Thai citizens can get a Thai ID.  Unless Thailand is restricting who foreigners can marry.

1 minute ago, NoHabla said:

Where is this law?  Show it to me.  I've never heard of that before.  Foreigners married to Thai citizens can get a Thai ID.  Unless Thailand is restricting who foreigners can marry.

Can't be bothered, check it out. With comments like that, I'm also beginning to suspect you're a troll.  The income requirements are well known to most people. You will find them on this site and Thai immigration sites.  I'm not saying you can't marry, I'm saying you can't get a visa based on marriage with an income of 30,000 unless you also have substantial savings.

People here have been hostile and unfriendly towards me, not the other way around. 

Nothing short of what I would expect, though.  People all over the world generally do not like the poor and the disabled.  "Government leeches", whatever.  I never chose to be this way.  My condition chose me, I didn't choose my condition.

The requirement is only 400,000, which isn't out of reach.  A few years and I can save that amount.

Just now, KhaoYai said:

Probably because you keep making wild claims.

Just because some of you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth doesn't mean that there aren't people in bad circumstances who enjoy Thailand as well.  I've met foreigners in Pattaya who are visa overstays and are constantly begging their friends and family in London for fivers on paypal.  There are people out there in worse shape than I am.  Not all farang are rich.  I am one of those farang who is not rich.  You're being a jerk, thats all.

12 minutes ago, moana said:

There are known agents that loan the 400K required for the required amount of time, for a hefty interest rate, so that financial aspect can be solved.

I have a few other things at my disposal, too.  Every time I enroll full time in classes, I get 5000 US dollars PEL grant, if I attend school on campus.  The GI bill pays for my school, I never owe a penny.  Three semesters, and I'm in.

The main reason many Thai women choose to get involved with a foreign man over a local Thai man is the perception that she will be better off long-term with that man than she would with the type of Thai men who are interested in her.  Unfortunately these women you have met seem to understand that they would be better off with a Thai man than with you hence you're not having a lot of luck.  This is not a Thai women thing.  Financial security is important to women the world over.

1 hour ago, NoHabla said:

Just because some of you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth doesn't mean that there aren't people in bad circumstances who enjoy Thailand as well.  I've met foreigners in Pattaya who are visa overstays and are constantly begging their friends and family in London for fivers on paypal.  There are people out there in worse shape than I am.  Not all farang are rich.  I am one of those farang who is not rich.  You're being a jerk, thats all.

No silver spoon in my mouth and if you are genuine, I have every sympathy with your situation.  You'll see the subject of how much you need to live on in Thailand crop up many times - I rarely agree with some of the higher amounts that are banded about.  Its all about lifestyle - those who wish to spend their time in bars and eating out at restaurants etc. will obviously need more than those who live a more simple life.

I dare say that you can actually have a better lifestyle on a low income in Thailand because your money goes further so in that respect, it could work for you. However, there are visa requirements - yes as one poster says, you can borrow the 400,000 but its going to cost you and there is every possibility that at some point the authorities will clamp down on that practice.

22 minutes ago, mstevens said:

The main reason many Thai women choose to get involved with a foreign man over a local Thai man is the perception that she will be better off long-term with that man than she would with the type of Thai men who are interested in her.  Unfortunately these women you have met seem to understand that they would be better off with a Thai man than with you hence you're not having a lot of luck.  This is not a Thai women thing.  Financial security is important to women the world over.

Yeah I hinted at that above.  However, if they were smarter, they'd see I get 30k for the rest of my life, including when I am 78.  How many people do you know in esan who get 30k a month when they're 78?  I have a lot of financial security some Thai men do not have.  I'm sure there's someone out there for me.  Also with the savings thing, if they do change the law, I am sure that people already there and married will be grandfathered in.

2 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

No silver spoon in my mouth and if you are genuine, I have every sympathy with your situation.  You'll see the subject of how much you need to live on in Thailand crop up many times - I rarely agree with some of the higher amounts that are banded about.  Its all about lifestyle - those who wish to spend their time in bars and eating out at restaurants etc. will obviously need more than those who live a more simple life.

I dare say that you can actually have a better lifestyle on a low income in Thailand because your money goes further so in that respect, it could work for you. However, there are visa requirements - yes as one poster says, you can borrow the 400,000 but its going to cost you and there is every possibility that at some point the authorities will clamp down on that practice.

I appreciate the change in tone though.  I have no desire to stir the pot.  There's a lot more economic migrants to Thailand, even of the western variety, than people realise

OP is not a troll, the fact he didnt know about 400k a year income/savings

proves that.

i think getting a woman here is a very bad idea,

so the other way of hassle free visa is being age 50,

and as an american, you can just lie through your teeth

on your pension to US embassy and say you make 900k/year on affidavit.

US embassy is by law prohibited from investigating,

and thusly so is thai immigration, so your only requirement is being 50

Archived