30,000 baht Farang

NoHabla

On 7/6/2018 at 12:00 AM, champers said:

You couldn't afford, or be legally allowed, to stay in Thailand on just 30K Baht a month. I suspect you may be a troll. I look forward to seeing what others think.

Don't be so imperious; it seems many farangs who live here as teachers live on B30k/mo and many who are legally retired do not meet the B65k/mo requirement. He may have the B800k he needs to legally stay here.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/6/2018 at 3:21 AM, NoHabla said:

Yeah I hinted at that above.  However, if they were smarter, they'd see I get 30k for the rest of my life, including when I am 78.  How many people do you know in esan who get 30k a month when they're 78?  I have a lot of financial security some Thai men do not have.  I'm sure there's someone out there for me.  Also with the savings thing, if they do change the law, I am sure that people already there and married will be grandfathered in.

I know a few Thais in Isaan who are getting 30,000 a day.

On 7/11/2018 at 12:49 PM, balo said:

Plenty of farang teachers who lives on 30k salaries in Thailand.  Most of them are single I would think.

If they are seeing a Thai girl at the same time , they are probably at the same age and share the same interests. 

If you're fat and ugly your chances are much lower to catch a girl without showing them you got money to spend.    Remember money and wealth is important to most Thais. 

But I am sure there are some 40-50 year old women who is not interested in money to date a farang , they do exist.

Maybe just be honest from the start , go to a online dating site , tell them you only got 30k to live on and see how many replies you will get .  

He'll still get many replies because they will think it's a typo and should be 300k

On 7/6/2018 at 12:44 AM, KhaoYai said:

Not on 30,000 per month you can't. Married you need an income of 40,000. Retired you need 65,000 per month.

If you have a non immigrant O multiple entry, because you are married to a Thai, and opt for going out and back every 90 days,  rather than having a "marriage extension", then you are not required to maintain any particular bank balance, or meet any arbitrary income.

Of course it is only practicable if you live close (ish) to a suitable border crossing.

That then leads to the often aired topic "can you live on 30,000 Baht a month?"

Of course you can; as long as you don't want to drink industrial quantities 5 nights a week and live on "Pizza 1112"!

6 hours ago, JAG said:

If you have a non immigrant O multiple entry, because you are married to a Thai, and opt for going out and back every 90 days,  rather than having a "marriage extension", then you are not required to maintain any particular bank balance, or meet any arbitrary income.

Of course it is only practicable if you live close (ish) to a suitable border crossing.

That then leads to the often aired topic "can you live on 30,000 Baht a month?"

Of course you can; as long as you don't want to drink industrial quantities 5 nights a week and live on "Pizza 1112"!

Agreed on the visa/income - I was doing exactly that myself but the no income requirement depends upon where you apply to. Thai Embassy UK require it -  website says they do, I was told they don't, phoned them, they do.

Also agree that its possible to live on 30,000 - I can live on less without any particular hardship but I don't have any rent to pay and I'm not including trips back to the UK because that's my choice.  There again I know people who spend 4 times that amount. Lifestyle I guess.

On 7/8/2018 at 1:21 AM, theguyfromanotherforum said:

You're thinking like farang....it's not gonna work.

You are not dating a woman, you are dating all her nagging family. Even a woman you're chatting with now that you say could care less about how much you make is most likely not being honest. Money is always an issue in this country. I am at the point where I truly believe that it would be completely unnatural if a Thai woman behaved otherwise. 

This is no way a bash, it just is what it is.

Words of genuine wisdom. It has taken me a few years of Thai life & 'wife' 'trying' to "get" what this quoted poster above means....SPOT ON: "IT JUST IS WHAT IT IS" and I am blessed with a good partner and great Family albeit a little nutty.

Now my Thai lady is pretty rich (probably to a factor of 10 over me)...still doesn't stop her from chiding me that I haven't ever brought her an expensive ring/stone hahaha...."MONEY IS ALWAYS AN ISSUE IN THIS COUNTRY"...why she go with me...my guess is that while relatively poor, I have v high education and work in a prestigious university and so lots of face for Madam Y lol AND she knows I love her and faithful guy.

What's the point? Quite a lot of the generalising/stereotyping about Thai women and Thai culture that goes on in TVF has a basis in 'reality'. Eyes wide open ? Understand it, accept and work with it or...well, don't take the ride is my advice.  

On 7/11/2018 at 12:21 AM, HooHaa said:

I suggest you worry less about finding women and do something to improve your situation. If you can type, you can work.

Try explaining to any boss that you sleep for one hour every night and that is why you cannot be there in the morning and that you are in severe pain on opiates and that is why you cannot focus and that you need to use the toilet literally every 15 minutes.  I am tired of the BS i get from people, their hatred for the disabled.  Seriously dude, I do not want to be disabled, it is not nice.  If you hate us so much maybe you should get into Aktion T4 or something.  I'm done.  Go to hell.

On 7/10/2018 at 11:04 PM, stud858 said:

Go to Homepro hardware store and find a nice girl in the hand tools department.  get a girl with a job she likes and is secure. Ask where she is from? It seems there a different mindsets depending on which part of Thailand they are from. 

If the girl seems to like you in discussion go for it.  Dont say, I like boom boom first off champ. Be a gentlemen as I'm sure you are.  Hehe

Good luck. 

No I am a good guy.  My ex-wife was really, really, really bad and I still treated her like part of the royal family for 7 years.

This girl is from Rayong, with an Esan background.  She works 6 days a week as an industrial cleaner.  She has a kid.  She does not want to live in America.  She really has nothing to gain by dating me.  She's attractive but she does not look like a go-go dancer.  She's dark brown.  She knows what my income is.  I really like her.  We're going to hang out more in person in January.

My disability pay is going to go up (pretty substantially), its just going to take time.  When I posted this, I was just kind of dismayed by the responses I was getting, like the poster said above, "Farang make 30k?  You mean 300k baht per month right?"

Anyways I have been going to Thailand for over 10 years and living on 30k baht in the right areas of Thailand IF YOU LIVE LIKE A THAI PERSON AND NOT LIKE A FOREIGNER is infinitely nicer than living on 30k baht at home.  Theres no argument there.  But like I said, VA and SS are going to raise me.  I am just in the whole administrative delay process right now.

9 hours ago, NoHabla said:

This girl is from Rayong, with an Esan background.  She works 6 days a week as an industrial cleaner.  She has a kid.  She does not want to live in America.  She really has nothing to gain by dating me.  She's attractive but she does not look like a go-go dancer.  She's dark brown.  She knows what my income is.  I really like her.  We're going to hang out more in person in January.

Let's meet up for a drink!

17 hours ago, NoHabla said:

Try explaining to any boss that you sleep for one hour every night and that is why you cannot be there in the morning and that you are in severe pain on opiates and that is why you cannot focus and that you need to use the toilet literally every 15 minutes.  I am tired of the BS i get from people, their hatred for the disabled.  Seriously dude, I do not want to be disabled, it is not nice.  If you hate us so much maybe you should get into Aktion T4 or something.  I'm done.  Go to hell.

aint that the truth, but i also want to caution

on this dilemma: i fled to cambodia cause

the visa runs to laos was too painful,

but in cambodia i found hell itself, i have never been in

such an unbearable pain 24/7, i had more pain there

than in thailand + sweden combined, and i can not recover,

so be aware life in thailand can add pain to your life

like you never thought possible

Such silliness. One cannot survive on disability payments of 30K baht and  comply with Thai immigration/visa requirements. Yes, some teachers do it, but they are not disabled, and have proper work visas.

The OP will require homecare assistance and disability always, always means advanced deterioration with time, which means the spouse will end up having to care for the disabled person. Try and hire a quality servant for less than 30,000 a month and see what you get. Cleaners, gardeners for 15K, yes, but home care, no.  

1 hour ago, geriatrickid said:

Such silliness. One cannot survive on disability payments of 30K baht and  comply with Thai immigration/visa requirements. Yes, some teachers do it, but they are not disabled, and have proper work visas.

Marriage Non 'O' VISA, no financial requirements. Plenty of Thai families living on less than 30k/month.

My neighbour (Thai single mom) earns 10k/month as a supermarket checkout girl.

Pays her rent and supports 2 children on that, 1 at university, 1 at high school.

It isn't a great life, but she's doing OK.

Can't see why a foreigner couldn't live quite well on 3x her income.

(No shopping at Rimping or meals at Duke's of course)

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2018 at 6:21 AM, NoHabla said:

However, if they were smarter, they'd see I get 30k for the rest of my life, including when I am 78. I have a lot of financial security some Thai men do not have.  

Haha. Yes sport your 30k a month makes you a real catch. Not to mention your disability for a Thai girl to deal with.

Thailand is not a country for anyone, irrespective of nationality, with any kind of disability. 

Very little is done for them in the way of say wheelchair ramps etc, compared to other countries.

It may sound harsh but disabled people are not expected to play any part in society. They are expected to stay home and not much else.

I'm not saying I agree or think the same way. I'm just saying that's the way it is.

• 2 weeks later...

30,000 is plenty, especially if you have a chunk of savings as well. Where I live you can rent a house for 2000 baht a month. I struggle to spend 300 baht a day even with beers, so 11-12k a month would do me. And my wife, even though she loves her gold, doesn't really care how much we have. Only time I spend more is if we go for a holiday.

Obviously in Bangkok though you could probably spend 30k in 2 nights.

a long time ago when i was a broke digital nomad, i used to get by on 100-500 baht a day.  i lived in a 3000 baht/month room with no aircon.  i could make that amount of money last because i watched every satang i spent.  i even saved those little stamps you get from the 7/11.  and i'd get food from the market. even if i didn't have money, i could always get some girls interested by faking it.   i have far more money now, but ironically i probably have a little less fun than i did back then when i was totally broke.

2 hours ago, james1995 said:

a long time ago when i was a broke digital nomad

555,  digital nomads only been around for a few years,   How old are you.  

A long time ago I remember we had black and white TV's- 

• 3 weeks later...

You know, 30,000 bt is a pretty fair income for a Thai. Plenty of normal Thai girls would be interested in securing that as a regular income. Also disabled guys have their attractions, less likely to stray. I haven't read this thread but based on your original post I would say just come here and hang out for a bit. I'm talking a year or so, outside of the tourist areas. Might help your Thai language abilities as well. But if your looking for an "off the shelf" solution, ain't gonna happen. The girls trawling the Internet and tourist areas aren't looking for a 30,000 bt man, that's for sure.

Archived