Valsartan recalled

Oxx

In the UK and across Europe the heart/high blood pressure drug Valsartan has been recalled.  The Chinese manufacturer changed the manufacturing process and in the process contaminated the drug with N-nitrosodimethylamine which is a powerful mutagen, carcinogen and is highly toxic.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/blood-pressure-and-heart-medication-recalled-from-pharmacies

Available Thai brands include Allvan, Dioforge, Diovan,  Tareg,  Valatan & Valsarin.  There are also other medicines which include Valsartan as a component.

If you're on one of these drugs, obviously, don't stop taking your medication, but do consult with your doctor about possible alternatives.

38 minutes ago, SiamRose said:

The local generic versions say they are manufactured in Thailand. Are they also affected?

Potentially yes.  The active ingredient may have been imported from the Chinese manufacturer.

2 hours ago, SiamRose said:

The local generic versions say they are manufactured in Thailand. Are they also affected?

the gov.uk notice calls out products manufactured by Dexcel Pharma Ltd and Accord Healthcare containing valsartan, I take Exforge 10/160 amlopidine/valsartan manufactured by Novartis Farmaceutica...I wonder are all valsartan products affected regardless of manufacturer?

looks like I'm gonna die sooner than later...can't win fer losin'...

2 hours ago, Oxx said:

Potentially yes.  The active ingredient may have been imported from the Chinese manufacturer.

Thanks, that makes sense. I called Silom Medical and was told they've stopped producing Valatan, although they couldn't say why. 

5 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

How can I find out if my drug is affected? Have Novartis Dafiro amlodipine / valsartan combination

Novartis has its own plant for manufacturing Valsartan (at least it did in the 1990s), so it's probably not affected.  However, you'd need to contact Novartis to be sure.

As a general rule,  one should not ingest anything made in China.  This is the country that gave us melamine for babies.

In Thailand,  fruits and vegetables from cold climates are usually from China,  e.g. apples or cabbage sold from pick-up trucks in Bangkok. Many Thais know this and don't buy these things

Much appreciation to OXX. I take Valsartin daily and had been using Valatan prior to my last trip to the US in April.  

Fortunately,  I brought a six month supply of US sourced Valsartin back with me.  Hopefully this will be resolved by the time I run out.

Archived