Prawit threatens legal actions against boat captain, owner

webfact

Thai culture is geared toward assigning immediate blame (imagine a finger attached to a hand attached to a wrist wearing an undeclared Richard Mille watch being wagged at the owner and captain of the boat).

The culture is not good at learning from past mistakes and then taking the steps necessary to proactively seek solutions to keep similar events from happening again in the future.

37 minutes ago, robblok said:

Still Steven, they made a huge mistake and 60 people died, this is negligence of course someone should be punished. It should be the responsibility of a captain to check the weather and he should be responsible for his decisions and owners too otherwise there will never be any change. Unless they can really prove it was not their fault. They should interview the survivors and see what they have to say.

Why address me about this? I have said clearly a few times already and will say it again: the captain made a, or maybe a few, mistakes.

52 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Why address me about this? I have said clearly a few times already and will say it again: the captain made a, or maybe a few, mistakes.

Sorry, but you were complaining about it not being communicated good enough to the captains. I thought you wanted to absolve the captain of his duty. Good to see i was wrong, but do you agree that something like this should lead to a court case.

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

Sorry, but you were complaining about it not being communicated good enough to the captains. I thought you wanted to absolve the captain of his duty. Good to see i was wrong, but do you agree that something like this should lead to a court case.

that will be interesting if they do a court case. who is the real owner of this company?

21 hours ago, Goldieinkathu said:

"And they would not listen"

I've been here over 20 years and every day I see people who will not listen  or don't follow the law.

There's no telling some folk ?

I doubt punishing the owner or the captain will make people listen in the future ?

Another avoidable  tragedy.

I disagree The Captain and owner should be charged with Manslaughter. You got to start somewhere Ok if you don't do anything about this will you let the next one go and the next one. The owner has a hide really by offering compensation. He should be contributing to what caused the accident. Anyway, this time action will be taken because you can bet the Chinese gov has been onto the Thai government to do something. There might be 1.2 billion Chinese on this planet  but they still hate their citizens being killed

2 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Shouldn't the captain go down with his ship?

That law doesn't apply to Thai captains. Their way of thinking every man for themselves and don't let on you are sinking so you can get to the life rafts first

6 minutes ago, Happyman58 said:

I disagree The Captain and owner should be charged with Manslaughter. You got to start somewhere Ok if you don't do anything about this will you let the next one go and the next one. The owner has a hide really by offering compensation. He should be contributing to what caused the accident. Anyway, this time action will be taken because you can bet the Chinese gov has been onto the Thai government to do something. There might be 1.2 billion Chinese on this planet  but they still hate their citizens being killed

Absolutely , they should be punished. But if you think that doing so it will stop the next one and the next one that's where we have to disagree.

There is no fixing this problem, people who "don't listen" can't be fixed either by the Chinese or the Thai government.

1 hour ago, Happyman58 said:

Wife tells me that Thai news reporting boat owned and operated by a Chinese nominee Thai company. Nothing will happen other than the usual yak yak

Its exactly 1 year ago today they finished scrapping the retrieved wreck of the Costa Concordia that went down in 2012 with the loss of 32 souls and the captain remains incarcerated to this day. The captain of the Phoenix has topped that death toll by a mile, lets hope he sees the courtroom along with the company owners. Just saying.

6 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Wife tells me that Thai news reporting boat owned and operated by a Chinese nominee Thai company. Nothing will happen other than the usual yak yak

yep end of story next

8 hours ago, Goldieinkathu said:

Absolutely , they should be punished. But if you think that doing so it will stop the next one and the next one that's where we have to disagree.

There is no fixing this problem, people who "don't listen" can't be fixed either by the Chinese or the Thai government.

guess you are right  look at thai drivers 

7 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

99.999% predictable ownership.

7 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Expect tighter immigration rules and more regulations  and even more hoops to jump through.

There are always unintended consequences. It will be ironic if we all have to pay a price for this.

On 7/6/2018 at 2:46 PM, Soupdragon said:

Yes but I also put the word "vow" in there which is their favourite to convince people they are serious when they intend to do SFA.

My two favorite Thai words when spoken by officials here, as translated into English, are "face" and "threaten".

Because the vast majority of the time, whatever punishment consequences bad people are said to "face" for their deeds rarely end up becoming reality.

And whatever is "threatened" by government officials the vast majority of the time is just verbal hot air that's either never actually done or, if done, done only briefly before the usual routine resumes.

As you put it, instead, the usual/normal result in such cases after all the threatening and facing is SFA.

Archived