40 confirmed killed in Phuket boat accident, 16 still missing

webfact

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

I think the other vessel that capsized was a yacht, so different circumstances.

I was reading one article on the Nation that said the other vessel that capsized was the "Sereneta" and it had 149 people on board (all rescued safely). 
(http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30349504}
"The storm and high waves caused another boat accident off Phuket. The Senereta vessel, carrying 149 passengers, sunk although no one died in the incident."

But according a linked China Daily report (linked on the Nation's front page), the same vessel (spelt Serenata) had only 35 tourists aboard. (http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/201807/07/WS5b3fc97ca3103349141e146a.html)

"All 35 tourists on board boat "Serenata" were rescued"

Another article mentioned that a rescue attempt involving the Phoenix had been made "in the dark" and that 43 (or 46) passengers had been taken back to Phuket. The boat must have sunk after that time.

Seeing the pictures it does look like most of those rescued had lifejackets on (one appeared to be sitting in a lifebuoy ring with no lifejacket on). That tells me that they had time to get them on (obviously) before the boat sank and that there appears to have been enough to go around (which surprises me a bit).

The only way they are going to prevent things like this from happening in the future is to crack down (hard) on the owners and captains but, T.I.T. and as was mentioned in another post, that probably won't happen and in a short time things will be right back to where there are now.

Exact same thing when it comes to tragedy striking overcrowded discos or condo buildings. All manner of promises about safety inspections and regulations and what happens ? Every thing quietens down and is forgotten. Until the next time the same thing happens again.

I know I’m going to sound like a knuckle head but who inspects thease vessels who does the stability calks and approves the design who checks to see if the vessel is in complyence?how are the officers trained and liscenced holey cow that’s sad 

Looks like this was the former dive boat Mergui Safari 10 that had a capacity of 24 guests. Gutted the cabins  out to increase the capacity & of course would have calculated the change with 100 pax. http://islandsafarimergui.com/portfolio/mergui-safari-10/

7 minutes ago, tompelli said:

Looks like this was the former dive boat Mergui Safari 10 that had a capacity of 24 guests. Gutted the cabins  out to increase the capacity & of course would have calculated the change with 100 pax. http://islandsafarimergui.com/portfolio/mergui-safari-10/

No, that is a different boat. That is a liveaboard diveboat, as far as I know still running. In one of the other threads you will find a photo of Phoenix that sunk, much bigger than the one you're talking about here.

Just now, tompelli said:

funny cause it's named Phoenix on Mergui's website

Yes, also called Phoenix, was running out of Phuket till about 5 years ago or so, when the owner sold the company. But much smaller than the one that sunk.

19 hours ago, smedly said:

no but they can stop people smoking on an open air beach who are using ashtrays with threats of huge fines and jail time, something seriously wrong with that

Not really difficult to understand.  Lots of potential money from the long suffering unaware tourist caught smoking.  Only angry tour operators if a no sail order is given. TIT.

40 minutes ago, tompelli said:

It doesn't even remotely look like the same boat.

19 hours ago, gregk0543 said:

Thats a big boat. It must have been big waves to sink it. Something I dont think anyone had seen there before. With several boats swamped and in trouble it is more an untimely event than any negligence. They can only go on what they have experienced in the past.

Complete <deleted>...

Experience tells you to take all safety measures into account.. that includes a shipping forecast for the area you're going to be in for the duration of time you're going to be there!!

This storm was well forecast in advance with wind & rain conditions as well as sea condition forecast

obviously all of these were ignored to put profit ahead of safety!!!

Past experience as you say has shown total disregard for all of the above which is why nothing changes

This should be treated as a manslaughter case with an in-depth investigation for criminal negligence with all owners captains held fully responsible.. but this is Thailand and as usual it'll be put down to an unfortunate accident & they'l be back in business as soon as another vessel can be made available..!!!

Experience of Thailand tells me  that nothing will change and the same will happen again!

Just now, pistachios said:

It doesn't even remotely look like the same boat.

No, it isn't, I have pointed that out a few times, but he keeps posting information on the wrong boat.

19 hours ago, gregk0543 said:

Thats a big boat. It must have been big waves to sink it. Something I dont think anyone had seen there before. With several boats swamped and in trouble it is more an untimely event than any negligence. They can only go on what they have experienced in the past.

Complete rubbish... 
This storm was forecast well in advance... 

it's the owners/captains responsibility to take everything into account before putting to sea

wind, rain, sea conditions were totally ignored in the time frame they were going to be at sea, all in the name of making profit ahead of safety... there should be an in-depth investigation as to why these vessels were operating in such conditions, this is not a simple accident at sea case... this is a case of mass manslaughter & criminal charges should be levied at those responsible for allowing such a tragedy to happen!!

But as you say past experience should play a part, and it surely did here as always profit profit profit !!!

3 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Complete rubbish... 
This storm was forecast well in advance... 

it's the owners/captains responsibility to take everything into account before putting to sea

wind, rain, sea conditions were totally ignored in the time frame they were going to be at sea, all in the name of making profit ahead of safety... there should be an in-depth investigation as to why these vessels were operating in such conditions, this is not a simple accident at sea case... this is a case of mass manslaughter & criminal charges should be levied at those responsible for allowing such a tragedy to happen!!

But as you say past experience should play a part, and it surely did here as always profit profit profit !!!

"This storm was forecast well in advance... "

No, it was not. And in contrast to what officials have said, there was no weather warning active nor were boats not allowed to go out.

19 hours ago, smedly said:

Those responsible for both of the above should be arrested and face severe criminal charges - it is the only way the message will get across

It doesn't work that way in Thailand. I remember many years ago a THAI pilot crashed his plane upon landing in Phuket. The weather was bad but he took a chance. He wasn't prosecuted as, get this, the authorities didn't want to hurt his feelings. They have a different mentality here.

I Lived Thailand 8 Years and put up with the lies and Corruption finally I decided to eave and go to Philippines corruption still there Thailand Nicer Place and People but PH you are not stopped every 5 Mins by Corrupt Police   Immigration 1/2hr and have new 6 Mth Visa no having to report now till next one due 6 Mth and will get again  Thailand Has become a lip Joint full of bad operators  and Currupt Officials it will never Change Look  at its Leaders a lot more China Man will die  and not  a thing will be done Chinese should go else were that will <deleted>##  Thailand  RIP  you poor people 

20 hours ago, smedly said:

Money first, safety ………………..………...what safety ?

Two responsibilities exist with this tragic debacle, the boat captain who decided to ignore warning and set sail fully loaded - we have the captain claiming there were 5m sized waves as though he is trying to blame the waves, sorry but that doesn't fly, you took risks disregarding safety to line your pockets.

The 2nd responsibility is with the authorities (who incidently have now banned boats setting out) who should have enforced a sailing ban before this tragic event - but as usual they take action after the fact - a very common occurrence here which is too late and many people are now dead because of it.

Those responsible for both of the above should be arrested and face severe criminal charges - it is the only way the message will get across

This is a massive disaster considering the death toll all of which could have been avoided

Yes Thailand is safe for tourists …...right ?

RIP 

Thailand is quite safe if there is no salty water around...
RIP all the poor chaps

21 hours ago, sgiandubh69 said:

So, severe weather warnings were clearly issued,  The operators disregarded this and the boats went out  Now 40 confirmed dead. Someone has some serious questions to answer. ‘Mai pen rai’ won’t work this time surely.

will you guess?.... 

16 hours ago, balo said:

Waves alone did not flip this ship over, maybe lack of maintenance and something happened. RIP 60 souls.

Waves absolutely did flip that 'ship' over. Obviously ludicrously unstable to anyone with any marine experience and would not be allowed to leave a dock anywhere else in the world, never mind carry passengers. 105 of them is at least 7 tons of live cargo too and would probably flip it over in flat water if all were on the top deck and moved to one side. Unfortunately no stability regulations in Thailand. Even the 'life jackets' issued are useless and barely buoyancy aids.

20 hours ago, gregk0543 said:

You have to investigate the circumstances more. I have been on a much smaller wooden boat in the Maldives which was sailing in smooth waters all day to an island and diving and on the way back a storm blew up and it was getting a little concerning. We couldnt see where we were going even and almost ran aground.

I can swim well we had life jackets so I wasnt that worried even if the boat went down. But the chinese on board were praying.

So these boats it must have been an unusually big storm to sink them. 

... and the operators where the only ones who could not check a weather forecast bcoz busy with counting money.
Let's blame the storm only ?

12 minutes ago, 0815 said:

Thailand is quite safe if there is no salty water around...
RIP all the poor chaps

.... lol yes and no road around too

seems security for travellers does not concern authority. laziness or corruptions ?

both! 

20 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

I hope as much international attention is paid to this incident as to the boys in the cave, to ensure disasters like this are not repeated. 

Dont let the world think that Chinese tourists’ lives count for less than Thai footballers.

Could not agree more. 

2 hours ago, lonewolf99 said:

Lack of skill and and no control or idea of how to deal with what was never really a dangerous situation....I also saw on a Thai channel a captain claiming the engine got ckoked with rubbish ???

4 to 5 mtr seas are the norm in European and Nordic seas. The videos I have seen of this incident show swell and waves nowhere near that height.

I go with the theory of overloaded and 105 people all on one side of this vessel sheltering and combined with a sharp turn and wind over she goes........Those lifejackets are a joke also. They are really for people who cannot swim a stroke or unconscious. Even if you can swim you have to go backwards with a double arm sculling stroke and you have to have a bit of practice to do that correctly. They are a nightmare if you have one on and try to climb into a liferaft. Years of doing offshore oil industry training survival courses have shown me this is the case.

The lifejackets do make it easy to pull dead people out of the water as they have a loop on the top of them for this purpose. 

Nothing will be done about this and no lessons will be learned as this is the norm.

Engine choked with rubbish - could be a bad translation - more likely a propellor fouled and loss of propulsion in a bad sea can capsize even a vessel this size. But i didn't hear the captain's comments.

Those keyhole life jackets are what we use in Canada and they aren't for swimming. They keep people afloat and face up even if unconscious. And I'm more of an optimist as I believe the loop on the back is to pull the person into the raft.

Archived