40 confirmed killed in Phuket boat accident, 16 still missing

webfact

3 hours ago, Redline said:

I’m curious how many they had to watch over 100 divers in the water?

Guess: 20-30 would go diving, 2 at a time, typically with one instructor. Rest only snorkeling.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phuket boat disaster: Eight more bodies recovered, 15 remain missing, confirms Governor

The Phuket News

image (1).jpg

Phuket Governor Norraphat Plodthong at the press conference today (July 7). photo: PR Dept

PHUKET: Eight more bodies have been recovered in the ongoing efforts to recover all victims from sunken tour boat Phoenix, Phuket Governor Norraphat Plodthong confirmed today at a press conference held at 5:30pm.

The bodies recovered today (July 7) brought the total number of confirmed dead to 41, with 15 more missing, Gov Norraphat said.

The search for the remaining victims will continue tomorrow, he added.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-boat-disaster-eight-more-bodies-recovered-15-remain-missing-confirms-governor-67799.php#rDCIvtCfOVzGLPwx.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-07-08

China has no respect for the Human rights of their own citizens ( yes I lived and worked there 2 years) damn sure 50 drowning outside it’s borders is going to change much ! No such law as “Negligent manslaughter” in misnamed “people’s republic “

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

16 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Look at the video (and even more are being placed on social media). The boat was clearly swamped at the stern port quarter (rear left to the non nautical). Was not really rolling. 

You’ve seen a video of the sinking? I haven’t seen that. Where can the video be found?

as a previous poster pointed out,this is just one of the zero dollar scams, the crew might be Thai, and the Captain is no longer * captain of his ship* as it were, they are just employees of these people, if they say go to sea, then you go to sea, simple as that., if your boss gave you a task and you said NO, where do you think you would be in 5 minutes, out of a job, that,s what, the venom is directed at the wrong  (faceless) people, i bet the thai bosses know who they are, just sit back and wait for the envelopes to arrive

58 minutes ago, Stoker58 said:

You’ve seen a video of the sinking? I haven’t seen that. Where can the video be found?

Clearly you are not closely following the various posts here on ThaiVisa.  If you research a little bit then you will easily find.

On 7/6/2018 at 4:23 PM, Classic Ray said:

I hope as much international attention is paid to this incident as to the boys in the cave, to ensure disasters like this are not repeated. 

Dont let the world think that Chinese tourists’ lives count for less than Thai footballers.

What would you like to see the international community do in this  "after the fact" incident?

On 7/6/2018 at 8:56 PM, cardinalblue said:

It is weird that the first 6 stories on TV are about the cave incident. I had to come to Phuket news to find out summary and details....

It also won't get Thai coverage b/c it hurts the tourist image of Thailand. The Thai media will suppress it as much as possible.

It looks like the death total could be a high as 56 people. Missing at sea at a small known location equals only one thing...

Will the world cup officials offer the survivors anything? 

They are certainly doing all they can to cover up this man-made tragedy! 

18 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Seems like it. Government media control is in full cover up mode. 

Happen to be flipping through youtube and came across Al Jazeera.  They went from the cave rescue to the Chinese drownings in back to back stories, so at least they were covering the story.  

6 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

Happen to be flipping through youtube and came across Al Jazeera.  They went from the cave rescue to the Chinese drownings in back to back stories, so at least they were covering the story.  

Says something? Our media, controlled by the governments and Corporations prefer to subdue news, must be for our own good ? 

On 7/6/2018 at 4:01 PM, gregk0543 said:

Thats a big boat. It must have been big waves to sink it. Something I dont think anyone had seen there before. With several boats swamped and in trouble it is more an untimely event than any negligence. They can only go on what they have experienced in the past.

Boat was rated for 60 and had 105 people on it. Grossly overloaded to increase profit which made it top heavy and as much a cause as the waves and warnings they ignored to cause this tragedy. But thanks for your informed insight mr. apologist.

11 minutes ago, 5633572526 said:

Boat was rated for 60 and had 105 people on it. Grossly overloaded to increase profit which made it top heavy and as much a cause as the waves and warnings they ignored to cause this tragedy. But thanks for your informed insight mr. apologist.

Don't make things up. Boat was rated for 120. There were also no warnings.

2 hours ago, Soupdragon said:

I can find video of the Serenata sinking but not the Phoenix ??

Never seen video Serenta sinking. I saw Phoenix sinking. 2 on Facebook and 1 on Liveleaks. All seem to have been pulled now. Can't find.

Edit - found 1 - see 00.17

1 hour ago, LivinginKata said:

Never seen video Serenta sinking. I saw Phoenix sinking. 2 on Facebook and 1 on Liveleaks. All seem to have been pulled now. Can't find.

Edit - found 1 - see 00.17

I think that is the Serenta.  Compare a picture of the Phoenix to a still taken from the video. Not the same boat.....

Thai Boat Sinks (1).jpg

Thai Boat Sinks (3).JPG

10 minutes ago, Soupdragon said:

I think that is the Serenta.  Compare a picture of the Phoenix to a still taken from the video. Not the same boat.....

Thai Boat Sinks (1).jpg

Thai Boat Sinks (3).JPG

Ok. I think you are correct. So all my comments about Phoenix being swamped from the stern are incorrect. News report implies that boat was the Phoenix. No mention of the other boat. 

On 7/12/2018 at 9:26 AM, stevenl said:

Don't make things up. Boat was rated for 120. There were also no warnings.

2 boats rated at 60 each act the Phoenix  was rated at 60 and had 12 crew and 93 passengers on board. Don,t be an apologist.

1 hour ago, 5633572526 said:

2 boats rated at 60 each act the Phoenix  was rated at 60 and had 12 crew and 93 passengers on board. Don,t be an apologist.

Totally incorrect, making it up as you go. See your avatar.

On 7/6/2018 at 6:55 PM, Briggsy said:

The government has stepped in and will pay them off. The Chinese are familiar with this kind of solution.

Thai marine enforcement bodies have shown over decades that they are unable to regulate safety in the sector of the industry dealing with tourists (ferries, dive boats, day trips, jet skis, collisions with swimmers / surfacing divers, etc.). The accidents and fatalities keep coming with regularity, every single year, lots of them. The only thing that may work is a blanket ban by the Chinese on sending package tourists to Phuket or Thailand. In fact, I imagine the Chinese consul has already threatened this.

"The government has stepped in and will pay them off." - well, this has happened in the past.

Here's one example.

https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/Deceased-tourists-family-awarded-B6mn-compensation

Using the above as a precedent, at 3 million per deceased Chinese tourists, that will be quite a bill.

Once hit in the pocket, perhaps officials may then finally realize it is "cheaper" to actually ensure the safety of tourists through enforcing safety laws. 

i am not suggesting Thai officials actually care about the safety of tourists here, just suggesting they only care about "the bottom line" in Thai baht. 

On 7/11/2018 at 11:31 AM, LivinginKata said:

Yes there are least 3 different videos I have see. Just do your own search and don't expect to be handed on a plate.

There is no video of the Phoenix sinking. You must have imagined that part. 

On 7/11/2018 at 11:31 AM, LivinginKata said:

Yes there are least 3 different videos I have see. Just do your own search and don't expect to be handed on a plate.

There is no video of the Phoenix sinking. You must have imagined that part. 

On 7/6/2018 at 3:31 PM, gregk0543 said:

Thats a big boat. It must have been big waves to sink it. Something I dont think anyone had seen there before. With several boats swamped and in trouble it is more an untimely event than any negligence. They can only go on what they have experienced in the past.

After several days have gone back to take a look at this story. The boat was built in Thailand and the design was not very good. Boat builder and owner arrested.... and another of the same boat under construction...... "

“A boat engineer and consultant has analysed the plans for the vessels and determined that the ‘Phoenix’ design has inherent problems.”

“The design seems to have many flaws. The boat should not take to sea with many passengers. The most important thing is the engine door design at the lower level of the boat. When sea water got into the boat the boat engine would be flooded and would stop working."

This agrees with what I saw reported by Captain on thai news.

So the boat appears to be a major  issue.

https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/boat-and-life-jackets-not-fit-for-purpose

1 hour ago, gregk0543 said:

After several days have gone back to take a look at this story. The boat was built in Thailand and the design was not very good. Boat builder and owner arrested.... and another of the same boat under construction...... "

“A boat engineer and consultant has analysed the plans for the vessels and determined that the ‘Phoenix’ design has inherent problems.”

“The design seems to have many flaws. The boat should not take to sea with many passengers. The most important thing is the engine door design at the lower level of the boat. When sea water got into the boat the boat engine would be flooded and would stop working."

This agrees with what I saw reported by Captain on thai news.

So the boat appears to be a major  issue.

https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/boat-and-life-jackets-not-fit-for-purpose

If you look at the photos of Phoenix, you'll see it had a different engine door design.

Archived