Jump to content
BANGKOK 23 May 2019 10:17
Jonathan Fairfield

Unconfirmed report claims evacuation of 'Tham Luang 13' is about to start

Recommended Posts

Unconfirmed report claims evacuation of 'Tham Luang 13' is about to start

 

2018-07-04T052244Z_1_LYNXMPEE6309D_RTROPTP_4_THAILAND-ACCIDENT-CAVE-BOYS.JPG

Image: Reuters


Belgian media reports that divers plan to evacuate the boys trapped in the Tham Luang Cave imminently.

 

Citing rescue diver Ben Reymenants, who is on stand by for the mission, the boys will be evacuated two by two, with evacuations starting late Friday and taking place throughout the weekend.

 

According to the report , visibility inside the cave has improved enough for an evacuation to begin.

 

The boys will each be given an oxygen mask and escorted through the labyrinth of corridors by a Navy SEAL diver who will take them to the third corridor in the cave where there is sufficient air for them to breath.

 

"It’s a race against time, because on Sunday heavy rain showers are expected. But we remain positive", Mr Reymenants said (via The Guardian)

 

""We expect that the first two footballers will still be at the exit today.

 

"It remains a difficult course through a labyrinth of corridors, with lots of diving and climbing.

 

"But the process is along with the current and the visibility under water is already a lot better," he added.

 

"Moreover, they do not have to swim a lot, they have an oxygen mask on them and they will almost always be kept on hand by one of the divers.

 

"In the third corridor there is air for breathing, where they will also be checked by a doctor. Then there is another 1.5 kilometers of climbing and climbing".

 

Mr Reymenants says that four boys will be evacuated each day with all evacuations taking place this weekend.

 

Rescuers are currently in a race against time to evacuate the boys as oxygen levels inside the area of the cave where they are trapped have decreased significantly in recent days.

 

Furthermore, monsoon rain forecast on Sunday evening will be bring more flooding to the cave.

 

Mr Reymenants said that the spirit among the boys remains good with the group fantasizing about what food they want to eat when they get out.

 

They have also been further buoyed after being shown footage of their families and the rescue mission taking place outside.

 

The news comes after Sky News also reported on Friday that a rescue mission could happen on Friday or Saturday.

 

Volunteer diver Ivan Karadzic told Sky News he expected the mission to take place "very soon".

 

Meanwhile, Thai Interior Minister Gen Anupong Paochinda was set to brief media at the cave on at around 9pm on Friday evening but was delayed.

 

 
tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-07-06
 
LIVE UPDATES
 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

But if this is indeed the best course of action NOW, then Godspeed for all those involved in the recovery effort. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Godspeed and hope for a positive outcome.

Edited by gilo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I said yesterday I felt this was about to happen. Why would they have requested another 5 British expert Cave divers who will have arrived now if something wasn't about to happen. There's been plenty of bodies to deal with everyday stuff so the extra 5 experts must mean it's all about to happen. Good luck guys with this rescue ! 

Edited by Nigeone
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anywhere to see live updates on this if it is going ahead?

 

Is there a twitter feed associated with the ongoing operations?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe, just maybe, the pumping and a lull in the rain has improved the conditions in the submerged areas just enough to risk extraction.  And numerous people have traversed the route, so they understand the difficulties to a greater degree.  They know full well that all hell could break loose any time with more rain. 

 

I'm sure they are frantically looking for vents, cracks and sinkholes in case they do have to punch through or at least supply fresh air. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

https://twitter.com/pakhead/status/101528809676867993

Chiang Rai governor says they are preparing to rescue trapped boys and will do so if heavy rain comes. They have got a pipe to carry oxygen in so air quality no longer a worry. But rain could make rescue harder and staying untenable. Could happen this weekend.

Many thanks for that, appreciated

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

 

But if this is indeed the best course of action NOW, then Godspeed for all those involved in the recovery effort. 

That report is nearly 3 days old (July 4) and no longer relevant. This reporter thinks they have much time to relax and explore all options. That no longer seems to be the case.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would seem they are hanging on as long as possible till the decision is made for them as we all know the rains are coming in the next few days. That's one thing they have been lucky with that it's held off this long . I'd imagine the powers that be are reluctant to make a choice as the repercussions if it goes wrong in the Thai 'face' mentality . Wouldn't want to make the choice but I think they have no choice . They can't guarantee the safety of the team and any Thia personal staying with them over 4 months plus . So many things can Go wrong in that time be it illness or air quality and if course flooding . If they got into trouble I'd imagine it would be nigh impossible to get help to them.. No they have to do it this weekend and I feel they will .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nigeone said:

Would seem they are hanging on as long as possible till the decision is made for them as we all know the rains are coming in the next few days. That's one thing they have been lucky with that it's held off this long . I'd imagine the powers that be are reluctant to make a choice as the repercussions if it goes wrong in the Thai 'face' mentality . Wouldn't want to make the choice but I think they have no choice . They can't guarantee the safety of the team and any Thia personal staying with them over 4 months plus . So many things can Go wrong in that time be it illness or air quality and if course flooding . If they got into trouble I'd imagine it would be nigh impossible to get help to them.. No they have to do it this weekend and I feel they will .

While I agree with parts of your post, I think you're speculating a bit much. We have no idea what the current operational situation is, nor the reasoning or thought behind any decisions 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Argus Tuft said:

While I agree with parts of your post, I think you're speculating a bit much. We have no idea what the current operational situation is, nor the reasoning or thought behind any decisions 

No I agree we haven't but I'm just posting how I see it ,knowing Thai though process and the impending change in weather . The request and arrival of the additional 5 British Cave divers bringing over half a ton of additionally equipment would indicate somethings happening. I really feel there delaying as long as possible the inevitable due to the massive risks involved with any option is decided . So wouldn't like to have that responsibility !   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...