"pattaya Bad News Clippings"

Artisan

Isn't there any good news coming out of Pattaya? I was prompted to ask this question after looking at all of the 24 topics on this sub-forum....you can choose from murder, mugging, drugs, robbery, stabbing, hit and run, perversion, assault, drunk driving, rape, bag snatching, hi-jacking and suicide. It paints a depressing portrait of Pattaya. :o:D

Isn't there any good news coming out of Pattaya? I was prompted to ask this question after looking at all of the 24 topics on this sub-forum....you can choose from murder, mugging, drugs, robbery, stabbing, hit and run, perversion, assault, drunk driving, rape, bag snatching, hi-jacking and suicide. It paints a depressing portrait of Pattaya. :D :D

C'Mon Artisan..Good News doesnt sell news papers its all the Blood and Guts and Gore.. :o

Hear! Hear! It's the darn liberal media never reporting any of the good things that happen. I personally know of a number of schools that got painted within the last 6 months and I never saw anything about it in the newspapers or on television. It's almost like they want to see Pattaya fail!

Isn't there any good news coming out of Pattaya? I was prompted to ask this question after looking at all of the 24 topics on this sub-forum....you can choose from murder, mugging, drugs, robbery, stabbing, hit and run, perversion, assault, drunk driving, rape, bag snatching, hi-jacking and suicide. It paints a depressing portrait of Pattaya. :D :D

C'Mon Artisan..Good News doesnt sell news papers its all the Blood and Guts and Gore.. :o

C'mon Little Black Duck............It's all about CRIME.

Well I've posted good news clippings in the past and well no one reads them. I'll continue to do so when there is smth, but I have to say there isnt much that gets reported in the big 3 that well isnt bad news. :D

Brit I note that you seem to have stopped reporting on the famous Pattaya sport of balconey jumping. Is this because you only want to report good news ? :o

Since the big three only believe in the maxim, “If it bleeds it leads” what we need is a few freelance good-news reporters to balance the scale.

I’ll start off with this report:

An undisturbing story now from the Pratumnak Hill area where an unusual occurrence shocked neighbors in this quiet community.

At three AM on February second, Pattaya Police responded to a call that a roving band of Katoeys were roaming along the beach along Jomtien near Pattaya Park and collecting rubbish and cigarette butts for disposal in appropriate waste receptacles.

This so unnerved local residents that they immediately notified police that something was terribly wrong. Upon their arrival the katoeys in question told the police that they had grown tired of their tarnished image as a bunch of bag-snatching, back-stabbing, farang-drugging misanthropes with gender identity issues and wanted to put a new spin on their otherwise muddy reputations.

Police immediately remanded them to Dongtan sub-station as they had strong indications through the katoeys suspicious behavior that they were all under the influence of a very strong narcotic substance or suffering from temporary psychotic delusions.

Local residents refused to press charges in the case and all the katoeys involved were released with a warning not to scare people like that any more.

The katoeys returned to Boystown for a round of Pina Coladas and Sex-On-The Beach.

Its a sign of the times in Pattaya.

You can only paint a pigs ear to look like a silver cloud for so long

But as we all know, the paint always fades.

Could be a good idea to have one more sub forum for the good stuff.

It would not, take up much room. or time to look at.

I feel this forum is performing a valuable service.

The 2 English-language national dailies have an editorial policy that includes very little crime reporting. In addition, the majority of foreign visitors may have been lulled into a false sense of security regarding the comparative level of public safety in Thailand. For example, few foreign visitors would guess the level of deaths due to road accidents is 10 times that of the UK.

The tourist brochures and TAT publications are full of good news. It is vital that crime is reported too so visitors to the country who are unable to read Thai papers have some awareness of the potential dangers in order to reduce their exposure to tourist crime and other risks. This balanced approach allows people to reach informed decisions.

Many of the reports posted here are from the Pattaya City News webpage; which itself has a tendency to focus on the more seamy side of the news; but it also covers more general news which does not get re-posted on this forum; such as:

On Tuesday morning, we joined Khun Niran, the Mayor of Pattaya and other senior local government officials at a ceremony outside the Soi Watboon Market in Jomtien which was recently inspected by local health officials and was found to be one of the cleanest markets in Pattaya. The market vendors and the market as a whole have been issued with “Clean Food, Good Taste” certificates. We understand that the vendors and market have been classed as a 5 star location for the preparation and sale of produce. In this ceremony 50 vendors were presented with their certificates and were told to maintain their standards as regular checks will be made to ensure they are maintaining their high standards of cleanliness.

But then, who wants to read boring news like this...?!

Many of the reports posted here are from the Pattaya City News webpage; which itself has a tendency to focus on the more seamy side of the news; but it also covers more general news which does not get re-posted on this forum; such as:

On Tuesday morning, we joined Khun Niran, the Mayor of Pattaya and other senior local government officials at a ceremony outside the Soi Watboon Market in Jomtien which was recently inspected by local health officials and was found to be one of the cleanest markets in Pattaya. The market vendors and the market as a whole have been issued with “Clean Food, Good Taste” certificates. We understand that the vendors and market have been classed as a 5 star location for the preparation and sale of produce. In this ceremony 50 vendors were presented with their certificates and were told to maintain their standards as regular checks will be made to ensure they are maintaining their high standards of cleanliness.

But then, who wants to read boring news like this...?!

exactly!!! :o

I feel this forum is performing a valuable service.

The 2 English-language national dailies have an editorial policy that includes very little crime reporting. In addition, the majority of foreign visitors may have been lulled into a false sense of security regarding the comparative level of public safety in Thailand. For example, few foreign visitors would guess the level of deaths due to road accidents is 10 times that of the UK.

The tourist brochures and TAT publications are full of good news. It is vital that crime is reported too so visitors to the country who are unable to read Thai papers have some awareness of the potential dangers in order to reduce their exposure to tourist crime and other risks. This balanced approach allows people to reach informed decisions.

quite agree

Some people will always moan about bad news.

They don’t want to here it.

If they all spent a bit more time around town they would have a better idea of what goes on.

Instead of commenting on what others have experienced. and not themselves.

Armchair critics/geriatrics with a Pc, are rife in this Town/Forum.

Have a nice day.

Jim come and empty me colostomy bag mat, I need as piss.

come on mate quick :o

What is missing is not the good news stories, but the follow up from the crime stories.

Unless the story is huge we don't hear the result of the court appearance, if the case does indeed end in a court appearance. Do we assume that many cases of assault and theft do not get as far as the courts and are resolved in an on the spot fine, with the fine paid with the proceeds of more crime?

Does someone have the time to sit around the courts and report back what cases get tried and the outcome?

:o

What day was that, it might have been mine as i lots a twenty baht note there,

was it green, can i have it back.

:D

well, like I said... I already used it to buy a can of Coke with it.

BUT....

as an experiment, I decided to use it make Cochicken.

The good news is that there's still some left from the blender and you're welcome to have a glass if you want.

:D

If they all spent a bit more time around town they would have a better idea of what goes on.

Have a nice day.

Maybe your comment was directed towards my opening post, or, there again, maybe not. Never mind, obviously you have misread or misunderstood the content. I was not "moaning" about bad news. The point of my original post was that I had observed that there was a dearth of "good news" about Pattaya being reported on this sub-forum. It DOES paint a depressing picture of Pattaya, nobody can deny that. There is a serious imbalance in the content of local news coming from the local media.....yes, I know that bad news sells copy and good news isn't worth a look, but this imbalance can give people a false impression of the town.

Also, do you think that "others" i.e. britmaveric and lybia. have experienced the reports themselves. Of course not...they are reporting on what others have reported in the local media. Yes, I have never been mugged, robbed, perverted, assaulted, stabbed, never been a victim of a hit and run, never been accused of drunk driving, never had my bag snatched, never been hi-jacked, never been raped (perish the thought!!), never committed suicide and certainly never been murdered!!!! None of this even though I do "spend a lot of time around town". So, using your logic, how would I benefit from personally experiencing any one of these?

Allow subscribers to this forum, and other forums on this website, express their honest opinions and post their civil comments without having snide comebacks from fellow members. Have a nice day too. :D

Edited by Artisan

Have a nice day.

Maybe your comment was directed towards my opening post, or, there again, maybe not. Never mind, obviously you have misread or misunderstood the content. I was not "moaning" about bad news. The point of my original post was that I had observed that there was a dearth of "good news" about Pattaya being reported on this sub-forum. It DOES paint a depressing picture of Pattaya, nobody can deny that. There is a serious imbalance in the content of local news coming from the local media.....yes, I know that bad news sells copy and good news isn't worth a look, but this imbalance can give people a false impression of the town.

Also, do you think that "others" i.e. britmaveric and lybia. have experienced the reports themselves. Of course not...they are reporting on what others have reported in the local media. Yes, I have never been mugged, robbed, perverted, assaulted, stabbed, never been a victim of a hit and run, never been accused of drunk driving, never had my bag snatched, never been hi-jacked, never been raped (perish the thought!!), never committed suicide and certainly never been murdered!!!! None of this even though I do "spend a lot of time around town". So, using your logic, how would I benefit from personally experiencing any one of these?

Allow subscribers to this forum, and other forums on this website, express their honest opinions and post their civil comments without having snide comebacks from fellow members. Have a nice day too. :D

Artisan..I take your message on board my initial comment wasn't meant as a snide comment..

as one other poster qualified if it Bleed it leads..Simply the Truth..I agree with you 100%

Pity newspapers cant balance their publications, and I love a good humanitarian story, a Happy

ending and cute animal stories. Alas Artisan you and I are in the minority..

Unfortunately the truth doesn't matter its sensationalism that sells stories..

You can only paint a pigs ear to look like a silver cloud for so long

But as we all know, the paint always fades.

That's a great analogy, I haven't heard that one before, a bit long winded though.

I prefer; you can't polish a turd!

Not that I'm saying Pattaya resembles a turd... :o well not all of it... :D

Artisan..I take your message on board my initial comment wasn't meant as a snide comment..

as one other poster qualified "if it bleeds it leads"..Simply the Truth..I agree with you 100%

Pity newspapers can't balance their publications, and I love a good humanitarian story, a happy

ending and cute animal stories. Alas Artisan you and I are in the minority..

Unfortunately the truth doesn't matter its sensationalism that sells stories..

Hi Little Black Duck"...sure, I appreciate that your comment wasn't jeering and I didn't take it as such. I know that it was meant as a fair and honest opinion. My message was aimed at a subsequent posting. :o

I don't have any great interest in cute animal stories, or even happy endings (but they are pleasing), but there is other news out there on the street and that other news helps to portray the wider scene. Yes, balanced and factual reporting is the essence of any good media whether it be newspaper, radio, TV or the Internet. However, nothing is ideal and we see, hear and read what we are fed. I can think of a sad example of TV news journalism that feeds us an imbalanced and less than factual view of current affairs. Please don't ask me as my answer would probably give rise to another extended member-bashing thread. :D

'Artisan' date='2007-02-05 11:07:33' post='1122067'

That’s moaning.

Just like the thread you started, Moaning

News papers are the same all around the world, More bad then good news reported.

Are you going to change the world of journalism ? I think not.

Or journalism in pattaya. I think not.

Stating bad news gives a bad impression of pattaya, is insulting to peoples intelligence

Do think people believe all they read in news papers, perhaps you do.

Why don’t you ask the mods for a Good News sub forum to be started for you and likeminded people, you can post away all day there.

As for your comments

Allow subscribers to this forum, and other forums on this website, express their honest opinions and post their civil comments without having snide comebacks from fellow members. Have a nice day too. :o

If you start a thread being critical of things, don’t be surprised if you get a few comments.

You don’t like.

The phrase,, If you can’t stand the heat get out the kitchen, springs to mind. or words to that effect.

Just to remind you this is a forum not your own private room.

Your not a moderator, up to me, not you. what I say.

So all in all no pint to your thread was there.

unleess they give you that sub forum.

Have a nice day.

yes, I know that bad news sells copy and good news isn't worth a look, but this imbalance can give people a false impression of the town.

An international beach resort where the traffic police wear facemasks to protect against the air pollution.

I was in Bang Saray yesterday, quite nice. Pattaya Beach and Jomtien...............forget about it.

Take away the sexual orientation in the entertainment establishments and Pattaya would be empty of so called International Tourists, at least that way it may clean up.

Hard to believe that Pattaya was just a small fishing community in a previous existence.