Facebook win EPL rights from 2019-2022

bangkok blue

They're gonna have to partner up with a tv provider, as internet doesn't stretch to remote parts of this region. Minimum percentage of people who must be able to access, otherwise rights would be revoked (I forget the exact number). 

Still.... I'm sure they'll do a better job than CTH ever did, hopefully see the return of premier league t.v. channel and some actual worthwhile punditry.

https://tech.thaivisa.com/facebook-agrees-deal-broadcast-premier-league-football-thailand/29276/

Actually I thought that CTH did a pretty good job with their EPL coverage, with the IMG PLTV channel being shown on a 24/7 basis - in stark contrast to Truevisions before them who tended to cut away from this particular channel on their TS HD2 channel whenever there was any "riveting" live basketball, golf, etc to be shown.

That said, there were, of course, other, rather more negative, issues with CTH, which were well documented on here at the time.

2 hours ago, bangkok blue said:

Minimum percentage of people who must be able to access, otherwise rights would be revoked (I forget the exact number).

Since FB claims to have 47 million users in Thailand, that would be about 75% of the population.

27 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Since FB claims to have 47 million users in Thailand, that would be about 75% of the population.

The March 2018 figure is 55 million which is more than the UK. Having said that I know many Thais who have multiple accounts. The Thais are very heavy users of Facebook, posting pictures of plates of food seems to be a favourite.

23 minutes ago, tso310 said:

The March 2018 figure is 55 million which is more than the UK. Having said that I know many Thais who have multiple accounts. The Thais are very heavy users of Facebook, posting pictures of plates of food seems to be a favourite.

My boys and i aren't allowed to start eating till the wife has photo documented our fare - apparently the world is interested in our food. What a world we live in today!

1 hour ago, bangkok blue said:

Very surprised FB have outdone bein sports and fox sports tbh!

I agree. But given FB's popularity here in Thailand, I'm sure that they would have little difficulty in securing a more-than-adequate take-up of a Thai language service. However it remains to be seen whether they would be prepared to offer an English-language service as well - most likely, I suspect (since they are new kids on the block), through the IMG PLTV channel rather than their own dedicated channel a la Bein - which, I assume, has not been made available here in Thailand because Truevisions were not prepared to pay Bein an additional amount for including it in their package.

As regards partnering up with a TV provider, I suspect that the most practical option for FB would be to come to a similar arrangement with Truevisions as Bein have done. However, whether this will include an English-language service will presumably depend on (a) how much IMG would charge FB for access to the PLTV channel (assuming that FB opted not to establish their own service), and (b) whether Truevisions would be prepared to compensate FB for the extra cost (for which the omens do not, I have to say, sound good if Truevisions did, indeed, decide against including the Bein English-language channel based in Qatar in the existing package on cost grounds).

In any event, as was the case with the existing Bein/Truevisions arrangement, all will, no doubt, not become clear until shortly before the start of the first season of the new 3-year deal!

2 hours ago, bangkok blue said:

Actually OJAS, you do have a point!

Very surprised FB have outdone bein sports and fox sports tbh!

Why? Facebook has billions of dollars to throw around. I'm just not sure what they gain by spending all that money to provide a free service. Okay, they make their money from ads, but how does that relate to providing live EPL coverage?

50 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Why? Facebook has billions of dollars to throw around. I'm just not sure what they gain by spending all that money to provide a free service. Okay, they make their money from ads, but how does that relate to providing live EPL coverage?

More interesting content means more people logged in, so more ads and higher price for ads.

As I mentioned in another thread, Amazon is going very big into sports streaming as well from next year.

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

My boys and i aren't allowed to start eating till the wife has photo documented our fare - apparently the world is interested in our food. What a world we live in today!

So FB is actually a gods gift for you.

Can you imagine the phone bills if your wife had to send an MMS to hundreds of friends before every meal?

4 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

More interesting content means more people logged in, so more ads and higher price for ads.

As I mentioned in another thread, Amazon is going very big into sports streaming as well from next year.

Yes, but Amazon sells stuff. It's a store. FB is an entirely different model. Still, as you say, they must be expecting to get something back for their investment. Which, anyway, is just loose change to them.

• 3 weeks later...

It could be PPV

Archived