Rescuers begin evacuation of 'Tham Luang 13'

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

13 foreign divers, paired up with navy Seals.

You could not do this with foreigners only, the children need to be with someone they can communicate with. But the expertise of the foreigners, all of them top in the field of cave rescues, is also critical.

Contrary to what some posters claimed or assumed on other threads, at no time in this have foreigners been sidelined or foreign expertise not fully utilized. Very, very much the opposite. There might be a few individual foreigners who were sidelined -- one I know ultimately got banned from the site -- but that is another matter specific to problems with those individuals.

the Thai authorities get absolutely top marks in my book for fully availing of the very best expertise regardless of country of origin.

Of the 13, I know that it includes at least 4 British cave rescue experts (including the 2 who first found the kids) and US Navy Seals. Not sure if other nationalities also among the 13 or not.

I know details are incredibly sketchy at this point but it sounds like those in charge of this effort are making all the right moves in a situation with absolutely no ideal options, and I think it's remarkable, possibly even unprecedented, how the international community is coming together as an effective and cooperative team with Thai officials. 

I think when all is said and done, and hopefully 100% successful, this effort is going to amount to a lot more than just a successful rescue.  It's going to say something about people from different lands and cultures to successfully work together in an incredibly challenging situation for a common goal.

35 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Indeed, that is what I said, or at least have sensible gaps to wide passing places. You definitely need to control traffic flow down there. Not just the kids but the divers also. Who is going through what sector in what direction at what time must be planned out very well.

Yep, no place for having a traffic jam...:thumbsup:

7 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I am not sure 10 am was tbe departure time for the boys. May have been for the rescue team going in. In which case it will be later.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Approximately 10am (Thai time) was when the divers first entered the cave to begin the rescue attempt, according to the press conference this morning.

I seen a video yesterday of a diver having to remove his oxygen tank while going through a small gap in the cave but I can't seem to find it now. 

Has as anyone else seen this and would you have a link as I wanted to show someone.

cheers 

Just now, tukkytuktuk said:

I hope that the Navy Seals will update on the progress of each boys extraction from the cave

I don't think they will or should update. First it will be very tricky to get accurate information from the farther sections. Second information has to be tightly controlled. Thailand is a rumour mill at the best of times. Nobody can keep a secret and everybody gets it wrong. Classic Chinese Whispers. There may also be bad news. This can be misreported and cause unnecessary problems.

Radio Silence till the operation is completely finished, one way or the other, is best. This is probably one of the reasons they have taken the close relatives to a place near the cave away from the media.

4 minutes ago, irishken said:

I seen a video yesterday of a diver having to remove his oxygen tank while going through a small gap in the cave but I can't seem to find it now. 

Has as anyone else seen this and would you have a link as I wanted to show someone.

cheers 

It is not from this operation. It is fake news. Please don't repost here. Others have posted it here repeatedly.

35 minutes ago, skippybangkok said:

Having done some basic cave diving , anxiety is the main issue. They can come out if the boys remain calm

Agree! the boys know what they will be facing to some extent as they made their way in there.

I guess they did have divers in the cave with the boys,  maybe they started out with one boy at the same time as the decision was made to go for it. Seems stupid  to wait fir more divers to come.  Why wait 5 hours before starting after more divers entered the cave.  This would make sense to me. 

7 minutes ago, irishken said:

cheers 

It was fake news and it turned out that it was a cave in the US. 

from the tukkytuktuk's blue graphic "when they reach a narrow passage, the navy divers will have to remove cylinders and roll them along".

That is the absolutely frightening part for me. With one boy breathing off of a cylinder carried by the diver, and that diver trying to drag two or three loose cylinders, the chance for things getting tangled up or torn apart seems very high.

I wonder what the order through a tight spot is, the kid and the diver have to go through single file while not breaking the air hose connection between them. And the tanks have to go through separately as well.

Maybe the divers can answer - would it make sense to put the kid through first, feet first, then roll the tanks through, then have the attached diver go through head first?

I really hope tukkytuktuk's black graphic below is correct - it says the longest underwater stretch is only 20 minutes. That's much less than I'd thought.

10 minutes ago, irishken said:

cheers 

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

tweet from @ThaiArmedForces.com says expect first child out in about 3 hours

However other sources are saying more like 9 PM so nto sure, maybe a translation issue...

My heart is in my throat....

May be a mix up between 3 hours and the Thai for 9pm

8 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

It is not from this operation. It is fake news. Please don't repost here. Others have posted it here repeatedly.

Thanks for letting me know. 

I didn't see it here so I wasn't aware it was fake. 

Well, as much has been made of the falling O2 level in the cave, it was perhaps necessity that has driven this endeavour, and we all know the dangers and possible outcomes. I'm sure all the good will that is being given to the boys will help, and like everyone, I'm hoping for happy news.

If this succeeds without any complications, it's going to become the gold standard rule book for any similar situation in the future. It's been a steep learning curve.

For sure, if all the first to go emerge without problems, it will be a terrific boost for those boys left behind.

So best wishes for success to everyone involved.

Hopefully it's going to be one huge feel good celebration tonight.

I did one cave dive when I was young and still have nightmares from it 30 years later. This looks like a very well planned operations and everybody is taking it slow and methodical which is the most important. As long as everybody stays calm and organized things will go well. I wish them all the best, got my heart in my throat knowing something of what they are going through, these are some really brave kids!!!

19 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

I don't think they will or should update. First it will be very tricky to get accurate information from the farther sections. Second information has to be tightly controlled. Thailand is a rumour mill at the best of times. Nobody can keep a secret and everybody gets it wrong. Classic Chinese Whispers. There may also be bad news. This can be misreported and cause unnecessary problems.

Radio Silence till the operation is completely finished, one way or the other, is best. This is probably one of the reasons they have taken the close relatives to a place near the cave away from the media.

LOL. I'm watching a live discussion of the operation on Thai tv. Bit late for radio silence!

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. I'm watching a live discussion of the operation on Thai tv. Bit late for radio silence!

I would not even bother with there story telling it's lost in the mix

26 minutes ago, irishken said:

cheers 

True or not it's irrelevant. The images being shown indicate the boys themselves will not be carrying tanks, which is the right thing to do, IMO.

Please remember that the boys WALKED in.

FYI divers don't use oxygen tanks, they use compressed air, unless for extreme deep diving when they have special circumstances that are not in play here.

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Well, as much has been made of the falling O2 level in the cave, it was perhaps necessity that has driven this endeavour, and we all know the dangers and possible outcomes.

I'm asking as a point of information and not to be a smartass (though I've been guilty of that on occasion)   Was the O2 level falling, or do they know?  I'm wondering if they actually tracked the O2 percentage, and if they know that the normal level in the cave was above 15%?  It's quite possible that biological and geologic processes depleted the O2 long before anyone was trapped.

That's really not important- just a matter of curiosity.  Since it seems the increasing CO2 percentage and prospect of the water table rising from torrential rains are what drove the urgency.  But then I wonder if the CO2 was actually increasing, or was it already high even before they started measuring it?

Archived