Australian is key member of team battling to save the lives of boys in the cave

webfact

Australian is key member of team battling to save the lives of boys in the cave

2pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Britain's The Guardian newspaper reported that an experienced South Australian anaesthetist and diving expert was a key member of the team working to free the boys and their coach at the Tham Luang cave.

Dr Richard Harris who had 30 years diving experience and has been involved in many rescues has been working with the Royal Thai Navy.

He is attached to Medstar that is an arm of the South Australian ambulance service.

He is reported to be involved in evaluating the condition of the boys among other duties.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-07-09

He's the ideal person -- understands all the medical issues related to diving, including the risk of panicking, etc. Plus he's an anaesthetist and if anyone is best placed to help with a judicious bit of medication to help the boys stay calm  on their journeys, it's him. 

These 12 Thai  kids are incredibly lucky to have all this international help which most Thais could only dream of.

I hope when theyre older they will respect farangs more so than their elders.

Time will tell.

this is the person setting the evacuation order based on medical needs, he is extremely knowledgeable on caving diving medical requirements plus oxygen deprivation and its effects on divers. He will be sending the boys out due to their medical condition which is far more important

5 hours ago, lanista said:

These 12 Thai  kids are incredibly lucky to have all this international help which most Thais could only dream of.

I hope when theyre older they will respect farangs more so than their elders.

Time will tell.

:blink:

The Westerners who participate in this rescue deserve respect, there's no question about that, and they're receiving it from everyone, regardless of race or nationality.

But 'farangs' as a whole ? Pray tell, what is there to respect, exactly ? Do you realize how incredibly colonial you sound when you demand that Thais respect 'farangs' just because ... ?

What your acid little remark illustrates, and quite accurately, is the problem of expats' attitude here, especially their insufferable feeling of entitlement : "How come these people, for whom I have absolutely no respect, do not respect me, the white conqueror and owner of the world?"

And before anyone tells me that not all farangs are like that here, I'll say that yes, I know : it's only about 8 out of 10, so yes I'm generalizing... with due cause.

Actually they are all hero's to me, Thai or Farang.

It is with pride and joy to read that foreign professionals are actual participant in the decision making process.

A great example of people from around the world joining together to help others. Credit to all of them, from the professional divers to the ladies and gents that dish out the food to the medical professionals ... I’ve been to Mae Sai several times, and used to walk past the Chiang Rai city hospital daily ... I never thought for a second those places would be the focus of the world media. Hope to see more wild boars out tonight ... and especially the coach who by all accounts is struggling health wise.

It makes me PROUD to be AN AUSTRALIAN When I see a MAN of this CALIBRE at THE WHEEL. Check his CREDENTIALS and you can SEE THE ABILITY and EXPERIENCE of THIS MAN. The WHOLE EFFORTS are THOSE OF SELFLESS MEN CONGRATULATIONS to ALL THOSE WHO ARE ASSISTING .TEAM  WORK AT THE HIGHEST LEVEL. TEAM WORK AT THE HIGHEST ESSENCE - WE ARE ALL PROUD OF YOUR EFFORTS

2 minutes ago, THE REVERAND said:

It makes me PROUD to be AN AUSTRALIAN When I see a MAN of this CALIBRE at THE WHEEL. Check his CREDENTIALS and you can SEE THE ABILITY and EXPERIENCE of THIS MAN. The WHOLE EFFORTS are THOSE OF SEFLISH MEN CONGRATULATIONS to ALL THOSE WHO ARE ASSISTING .TEAM  WORK AT THE HIGHEST LEVEL. TEAM WORK AT THE HIGHEST ESSENCE - WE ARE ALL PROUD OF YOUR EFFORTS

In every country you have wonderful people and scumbags but the percentage may different according to the country

5 minutes ago, THE REVERAND said:

It makes me PROUD to be AN AUSTRALIAN When I see a MAN of this CALIBRE at THE WHEEL. Check his CREDENTIALS and you can SEE THE ABILITY and EXPERIENCE of THIS MAN. The WHOLE EFFORTS are THOSE OF SEFLISH MEN CONGRATULATIONS to ALL THOSE WHO ARE ASSISTING .TEAM  WORK AT THE HIGHEST LEVEL. TEAM WORK AT THE HIGHEST ESSENCE - WE ARE ALL PROUD OF YOUR EFFORTS

If pride is denoted by capital letters, I can see you got more and more proud as you got further into the message. Not quite proud enough to go bold though. 

6 hours ago, dundas said:

He's the ideal person -- understands all the medical issues related to diving, including the risk of panicking, etc. Plus he's an anaesthetist and if anyone is best placed to help with a judicious bit of medication to help the boys stay calm  on their journeys, it's him. 

His presence there certainly suggests some level of sedation was on the table, wonder if they decided to use it. 

Also curious - is he staying in there for the duration of the rescue with the kids? Ditto the British divers who were taking care of the innermost section of the caves? 

The usual work permit question post has been removed as it led to personal attacks, flames and bickering.

Please do not post in caps as it is poor netiquette and considered shouting, thank you.

Some one has raised the tsunami response and the requirement for volunteers to get work permits.  After the tsunami people turned up from every where uninvited to give help that was either nto required or too many for the operation organisers to manage.  This happens at every disaster and tends to be more of a hinderance than a help.  For one the country was in turmoil and for people to turn up require feeding and accomodation hampers the efforts of appropriately trained personal.
It is the standard practice for Governments to offer help, ask what is required and then wait to be asked for assistance.  This stops the untrained personal from coming and giving help they think they can provide.  As an example how many people on TV have offered their opinions on what should or should not happen and they are not even on site and yet have better knowledge than the Thai Teams who are being assisted by international teams invited by the Thai Government.
Actually with some of the rubbish comments being made I am ashamed to be referred to as a farang in Thailand.  I do speak from experience having been involved in the Australian continent that went to the Bali Bombings, the Tsunami, Cyclone in the Phillipines, floods in Pakistan, earth quakes in New Zealand and many more!!!!

3 minutes ago, Gazman1 said:

Some one has raised the tsunami response and the requirement for volunteers to get work permits.  After the tsunami people turned up from every where uninvited to give help that was either nto required or too many for the operation organisers to manage.  This happens at every disaster and tends to be more of a hinderance than a help.  For one the country was in turmoil and for people to turn up require feeding and accomodation hampers the efforts of appropriately trained personal.
It is the standard practice for Governments to offer help, ask what is required and then wait to be asked for assistance.  This stops the untrained personal from coming and giving help they think they can provide.  As an example how many people on TV have offered their opinions on what should or should not happen and they are not even on site and yet have better knowledge than the Thai Teams who are being assisted by international teams invited by the Thai Government.
Actually with some of the rubbish comments being made I am ashamed to be referred to as a farang in Thailand.  I do speak from experience having been involved in the Australian continent that went to the Bali Bombings, the Tsunami, Cyclone in the Phillipines, floods in Pakistan, earth quakes in New Zealand and many more!!!!

With ref to #30 - this subject has been closed.

12 minutes ago, ttrd said:

With ref to #30 - this subject has been closed.

Can you read #30 just says a post has been removed??  Nothing about the thread being closed, I do note you are not a moderator of any sort

20 minutes ago, Gazman1 said:

Some one has raised the tsunami response and the requirement for volunteers to get work permits.  After the tsunami people turned up from every where uninvited to give help that was either nto required or too many for the operation organisers to manage.

The tsunami happened 26th December 2004, they only really started making a noise about work permits a few weeks later, around February 2005.

8 minutes ago, Gazman1 said:

Can you read #30 just says a post has been removed??  Nothing about the thread being closed, I do note you are not a moderator of any sort

RE - The usual work permit question post has been removed as it led to personal attacks, flames and bickering - post #30

It was just for Your information to not start any New discussion on this thread about WP - nothing more, nothing less...

FB post - the families to the 13 boys has collected Money to the Family of the former Thai Navy Seal Khun

Samarn Poonan who voluntary contributed and sadly drowned on 6th.

Archived