Amazon shipping to Thailand incredibly fast!

Dario

Lat Friday June 6 at 16:51 Thai time I ordered and paid a Wilson tennis raquet from Amazon.com. I ordered from my secluded location out in the sticks. A little over 2 days later the item has already arrived in Bangkok at the UPS center, it went through customs at 01:44 this morning. Blazing fast, I must say. Although promised delivery date is June 12, it will only be delivered to me this Thursday. Still amazingly fast!

Edited by Dario
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, dabhand said:

Sounds like you ordered the Sam Groth raquet!!

Guess you also meant to write July......

Sorry, yes, I meant July. 

10 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Yes, I hope the OP reports back on how much the customs folks will need to release his package.  Customs will customarily (in a manner of speaking) get their pound of flesh for items purchased online.

Does Thailand make tennis rackets ?

If no, this customs charging is a joke

The idea of IT is to protect an industry in one's country against cheaper imports of the same product

It's like with steel, does Thailand make that

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Yes, I hope the OP reports back on how much the customs folks will need to release his package.  Customs will customarily (in a manner of speaking) get their pound of flesh for items purchased online.

If it is being delivered via a means that uses the global shipping program, then all the customs payment is made at the time of ordering, the duties are normally an overestimate and Amazon will refund if it is less.

Edited by Mattd
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lammbock said:

I notice that the import tax is quite high on Amazon orders.

I frequently order from Amazon and don't find the import tax to be out of the ordinary. In fact, Amazon returns funds when they over estimate the import charges.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting.  If this is the case, Amazon may be a reasonable shopping option in Thailand afterall.  I've refrained from ordering from Amazon precisely for this reason. 

You need to make sure that the item being ordered can be shipped this way, then when you check out you pay the cost of the item, shipping and duties with nothing to pay upon delivery, things seem to go through customs a lot faster as well, does need to be less than 40,000 THB though, otherwise you need to register with customs.

Items such as computers are a good buy, as you only pay the 7% VAT.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

If the OP used the Global Shipping option, there are no additional Thai Customs costs.

• Like 1

Interesting.  If this is the case, Amazon may be a reasonable shopping option in Thailand afterall.  I've refrained from ordering from Amazon precisely for this reason. 

Not too long ago, maybe last month, there was the news (or was it just an advertizement) that this was just introduced.

In the past you could already order on Amazon, but it might have resulted in importing fees and customs trouble, or sellers just didnt ship to Thailand. With this recent change you can get much more items here and the import taxes are fairly accurate depicted on Amazon already leaving less surprises.

Just now, Bob12345 said:

Not too long ago, maybe last month, there was the news (or was it just an advertizement) that this was just introduced.

In the past you could already order on Amazon, but it might have resulted in importing fees and customs trouble, or sellers just didnt ship to Thailand. With this recent change you can get much more items here and the import taxes are fairly accurate depicted on Amazon already leaving less surprises.

I've ordered stuff on Amazon this way for at least 3 years now.

• Thanks 2

Amazon has two Global Shipping Options... Global Shipping and  Expedited  Global Shipping.

I have used both and Global Shipping takes on the average 2 days more but cost is a lot less.

So if you can wait the extra few days you can save quite a bit. 

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Mattd said:

I've ordered stuff on Amazon this way for at least 3 years now.

Ditto - for the past 5 years.  I have also rec'd a refund on the duties deposit at times.  Even if it covers a handlers charge in addition, to me it is worth it to avoid any customs aggravations.

Once I ordered from store in USA that used such a service to pay everything up front -- my package did get held up briefly in Bangkok when it was questioned by Customs.  DHL contacted me and asked if they were "samples" -  I sent additional info (copy of online order, etc., noting the clothing was for my own use) - it seems the shipping outfit had put "commercial" on the package.  Apparently my explanation and copy of order was sufficient as it was released and delivered a couple days later.

Edited by soisanuk
  • Thanks 1

Ebay has a Global Shipping Program too, though in their case they don't refund you if the duties are less than expected. Recently bought a computer monitor from them, and it worked out cheaper than it would have been if available to buy in Thailand.

I've read the "Sorry we don't ship to Thailand" message so many time that I've basically stop using Amazon other than to purchase Kindle books.  They have basically said they don't want the business of those residing in Thailand - fine with me. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Thian said:

Well let's see what thursday brings. You don't have it yet.

No need to wait for the outcome until Thursday. I've been told by UPS that there is NO CHARGE whatsoever, I only will have to sign for receipts. That's it.

7 minutes ago, connda said:

I've read the "Sorry we don't ship to Thailand" message so many time that I've basically stop using Amazon other than to purchase Kindle books.  They have basically said they don't want the business of those residing in Thailand - fine with me. 

This is usually because of restrictions outside of their control, a lot of multi-nationals block sales out of region, Dell springs to mind for example.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, fantom said:

Has anyone ordered a new Kindle from Amazon recently? The price on Lazada is much too high. Would appreciate any comments.

As an alternative, you can always use their Kindle for Mac or Kindle for PC software, which comes free. I've been using the former for several years and have some 1500 books in the Kindle cloud to which I have access as I choose on my MacBook Air.

• Like 1

Amazon has had a call center in the Philippines for several years. If you have ever had an issue with a Kindle or Fire tablet and called Amazon it was handled by them. From the excellent English speaking CSA staff, you wouldn't guess it. Amazon probably has a shipping center there now also. They have shipping centers in India, Japan and China.